Strategy Teambuilding Workshop

Professor Palutena

The Queen
Teambuilding can be difficult, even for the most experienced battlers. It's not uncommon for players to spend days testing and editing to create the best team possible. Thankfully, no one is ever alone when it comes to teambuilding! That's what this thread is for.

In this thread, post your teams (including the full movesets). Other members are then invited to look at your team and suggest ways to edit it. It is best if you post a basic strategy of your team, outlining how you plan to win the game with your team. Then we can give the best suggestions possible.

Happy battlings!

Pride

May I kill him?
Still learning this weird metagame with weird Z attack stuff. Overall Fini, Skarmory, and Tangrowth basically win every game through their own so I'm not so sold on the other three members. Basically the idea is just to set up some hazards and give Ground/Dragon a chance to get going and blow through the weakened team.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Scald
- Defog

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Body Slam

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows
- Toxic
- Substitute

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Shadow Bone
- Earthquake
- Will-O-Wisp

Professor Palutena

The Queen
Interesting team Pride. Any reason why you're going without a Fire move on Marowak?

Your team looks like it might struggle with bulky Grasses (Tangrowth and Tapu Bulu), as they resist Thousand Arrows which is your main way off offense. You might want to try Toxapex over Tapu Fini. Toxapex has a lot of longevity with Recover and Regenerator, and it has Toxic Spikes so that you can stall out Tangrowth and Bulu while you set up with Zygarde. I highly suggest it as the double Regenerator core is fantastic. I also see a decent sized weakness to Zard-Y, and Toxapex might be able to help with that in terms of weathering the sun turns.

As a nitpick though, you might want to consider Bonemerang over Earthquake on Marowak. While Earthquake is more accurate, Bonemerang is not weakened by Grassy Terrain.

Pride

May I kill him?
Okay switched Fini out for Toxapex, moved defog to skarmory (undecided if I should remove WW or BB), and added fire punch for marowak for better grass coverage. I'll see how that plays out.

AlphaVoxel

Definitely still in development...
Forum Mod
Hello! I could really use some help making this a bit better (and by a bit, I mean a lot... XD).

This is the team I built for the Intl. Challenge, but upon testing, I found a lot of problems. Here is the team:

Toxapex-Regenerator
Black Sludge
Scald
Infestation
Recover
Toxic

Tapu Bulu
Leftovers
Leech Seed
Horn Leech
Protect
Substitute

Tapu Fini
Terrain Extender
Moonblast
Calm Mind
Scald
Taunt

Kartana
Focus Sash
Leaf Blade
Smart Strike
Sacred Sword
Detect

Pheromosa
Fightinium-Z
Focus Blast
Ice Beam
Speed Swap
Protect

Minior
White Herb
Shell Smash
Acrobatics
Rock Slide
U-Turn

To keep things relatively simple: My team sucks. 3 members have weakness to both Grass and Electric, the other three with weakness to Fire, and three that are weak to Steel, with two weak to Poison. I am in dire need of help, as the event is only 2 days away, and I have very little time to prepare. Any help you can give me would be very greatly appreciated. I would prefer to keep the Pheromosa and possibly the Toxapex, but I am willing to make whatever changes are necessary.

Thanks,
-AV

AlphaVoxel

Forum Mod
@AlphaVoxel can you elaborate on the individual strategies for each Pokemon? That can help others give you better advice.
Ok, so, here is what I have.

I usually send out Toxapex and Tapu Bulu first, due to the fact that Grassy Terrain helps keep Toxapex around longer. I then seem to fall back on either of the UB's and/or Minior.

I am terrible with strategy, relying more on instinct more than planning. I kind of threw this team together based on what I had, as well as what I could scavenge for on Smogon. I have very few genuinely competitive items, but I was somehow able to scrap something together, which I find rather amazing. (I must apologize if it seems like I am rambling a bit. I do that sometimes... XD)

Professor Palutena

The Queen
Alright, so let's work through this one by one:

Toxapex-Regenerator
Black Sludge
Scald
Infestation
Recover
Toxic
This set is fine, though I'd suggest getting Haze on it instead of Infestation. Toxapex is a very passive Pokemon and because it is very weak, it invites a lot of Pokemon to come set up on it while it deals next to no damage. Haze removes the stat buffs they try to make, and so you'll still come out a winner. Alternatively, put Protect on it.

Tapu Bulu
Leftovers
Leech Seed
Horn Leech
Protect
Substitute
This is perfect.

Tapu Fini
Terrain Extender
Moonblast
Calm Mind
Scald
Taunt
Put Surf over Scald, as you're going a more offensive route and you'll want the extra power. Terrain Extender isn't that great of an item for Fini. Maybe try swapping it with Bulu's Leftovers? Surf also hits both opponents, which is awesome for doubles.

Kartana
Focus Sash
Leaf Blade
Smart Strike
Sacred Sword
Detect
This is pretty good as well. You might want to put an Assault Vest on as the item though, as I've been told that's the ideal set for VGC.

Pheromosa
Fightinium-Z
Focus Blast
Ice Beam
Speed Swap
Protect
I'm a little lost with Speed Swap here, as Pheromosa's claim to fame is it's speed and getting rid of it feels rather useless. I'm also not sure how viable Pheromosa is for doubles, as it is very frail and prone to being ganged up on.

Minior
White Herb
Shell Smash
Acrobatics
Rock Slide
U-Turn
This isn't a bad set either, though I question how viable Minior is due to how frail it is in the core form.

As you've said, a lot of your Pokemon stack weaknesses, and this is awful in doubles when you have two attackers.

Right now, your team is very weak to Torkoal + Lilligant offense, as well as to Celesteela. I also feel like your team can't deal with Pelipper Rain teams. However, you're already part way there because you've realized that weakness stacking was the problem.

So for some ideas here:

Running a Torkoal + Lilligant of your own solves most of these problems. The core is fantastic and will put in so much work, guaranteed. I know you don't want to replace them, but Pheromosa and Minior are honestly the weak links of your team. Here are the sets I'd recommend:

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpA / 8 Def
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam

Lilligant @ Grassium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 248 Spe
Modest nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- After You
- Protect

The idea behind this core is Sun Offense. Lilligant becomes super fast on turn 1, and can use After You to make Torkoal incredibly fast, as After You makes your target move right after you. Therefore, you can fire off Sun boosted Heat Waves or Eruptions that can decimate most teams. Lilligant also packs utility with Sleep Powder, which can basically put a Pokemon out for the rest of the game, as doubles games are done in very few turns. This helps with your Celesteela problem immensely, and, as you're slower than Pelipper, you'll get your Sun up instead of their Rain. To solve more of these problems, you could also try out Drampa:

Drampa @ Life Orb
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest nature
- Hyper Voice
- Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

This covers a few more weaknesses, and provides more offensive power. It's also slow, and so benefits from Trick Room teams. Run Berserk if you want to run it with Torkoal+Lilligant, or use Cloud Nine otherwise.

Honestly, your team isn't that bad. Building teams is hard and takes practice. Now that you're aware of the weaknesses you're stacking and how much it can impact your team's success, you'll know to watch for it next time and make something even better!

AlphaVoxel

Forum Mod
Alright! I think this will work! Just have to go find a Torkoal, Lilligant, and Drampa, as well as a couple of items. Let the last minute grind/panic begin!

AlphaVoxel

Forum Mod
So, another question. Though I will be using the Lilligant/Torkoal core for sake of time and materials, what are some other useable cores that would be viable options? As soon as the challenge is over, I will be continuing my competitive journey, and I am trying to develop a few backup teams.

Professor Palutena

The Queen
So, another question. Though I will be using the Lilligant/Torkoal core for sake of time and materials, what are some other useable cores that would be viable options? As soon as the challenge is over, I will be continuing my competitive journey, and I am trying to develop a few backup teams.
That highly depends on what format you want to go with. Naturally, every format has different rules and therefore, different Pokemon are considered the best.

- The International Challenge uses Battle Spot, which is a 3v3 or 4v4 format. Because of the smaller team size, some Pokemon are less viable here than on a 6v6 format.
- The 6v6 format is the most popular, and is used by sites like Smogon, but it's also the format we use predominantly here on PB. This is the most well known format, and you should be able to get lots of help getting started.
- VGC is the Nintendo-sponsored format, which is a 4v4 doubles format using a prescriped ruleset that is usually fairly strict and changes every year. If you want to play and make it to worlds, this is the format for you.

Equinox

Stallwart Player
I really have been loving using Charizard Y this gen, it shuts down and threatens a lot of things, and this team was made to support the drake. The strategy of the team is to "hit and run" with Mega Charizard Y, as even Pokemon that resist it are shut down in two Fire Blasts, however because Charizard isn't the fastest Pokemon, it does require support against faster threats, most of whom pack Electric and Rock-type moves, two types however, that are easy to prepare for this gen. Having two Defoggers might seem like overkill, but the threat that Stealth Rock poses to Mega Charizard Y is real.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Bonemerang
- Stealth Rock

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Soft-Boiled
- Will-O-Wisp
- Psychic

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

Professor Palutena

The Queen
Why are Mew and Scizor your Defoggers as opposed to Tapu Fini or Latios?

Personally, I don't think either Mew or vanilla Scizor are OU viable and I'd suggest replacing them.

Equinox

Stallwart Player
Well, I wanted a Defogger that can last and has reliable recovery, which Fini doesn't have, this team can also have a problem with Dragon-types, which, while Latios outspeeds for the most part, still attracts faster (scarfed) Dragon-types. Then again I could switch Mew out for Latios so Scizor could handle scarfed said Scarf mons.

AlphaVoxel

Forum Mod
Alright! I am back for another round of the joy that is competitive team building! Here is my proposed team this time around:

Core is kind of Minior/Marowak-A/Garchomp (I think)

Minior- White Herb
Shields Down
252 Atk/4 SpA/252 Spe
Naive Nature
Shell Smash
Acrobatics
Stone Edge
U-Turn

Default set for Minior. Great to start out with, due to good defenses. U-Turn is mostly used to switch in to something more advantageous. Combined with Marowak, gains immunity to Electric, plus Marowak can help deal with Steel types that threaten it.

Garchomp- Dragonium-Z
Rough Skin
252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Stealth Rock
Swords Dance
Earthquake
Dragon Claw

Paired with Minior, as it targets Rock/Steel/Electric with earthquake, can also set up Stealth Rock.

Marowak (Alola)- Thick Club
Lightning Rod
252 Hp/180 Atk/4 Def/68 SpD/4 Spe
Adamant/Brave Nature
Flare Blitz/Fire Punch
Shadow Bone
Bonemerang
Detect

Mostly used to support Minior, for reasons stated above.

Celesteela- Leftovers
Beast Boost
248 Hp/92 Def/168 SpD
Sassy Nature
Heavy Slam
Flamethrower
Protect
Leech Seed

Not sure why I included this, but seems to work well with Marowak (I think).

Kartana- Assault Vest
Beast Boost
? EVs, ? Nature
Smart Strike
Leaf Blade
Sacred Sword
Detect

Mostly used as a late-game sweeper, or to switch into something.

Mimikyu- Life Orb/Ghostium-Z
? EVs, ? Nature
Swords Dance
Shadow Sneak
Play Rough
Shadow Claw

No idea why I included it, just couldn't figure out what to put in this slot, and this seemed like the best idea at the time.

--[Attention!]--
To avoid further confusion, I must state that this team is for DOUBLES!

Last edited:

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Minior is more for the late game sweep. Your goal with it is to set up SS and sweep after all of its threats has been cleaned or weakened. Thus, you don't need U-Turn on this set. Also, Marowak-A is a great Pokemon for the start-mid game, so I don't see it as a switch for Minior. I might be wrong because I haven't played in a while, but that's just something I noticed :)

EDIT: Just read this is for doubles, in which case, forget what I said :p

AlphaVoxel

Forum Mod
Hey, I am unsure if this thread is still open/running/etc, but I would like to get a bit of teambuilding advice where possible. Here is what I have thus far:

Lilligant
Ability: Chlorophyll
Item: Grassium-Z
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 Sp. Def
Moveset:
Leaf Storm
Protect
Quiver Dance/Solarbeam
After You

Torkoal
Ability: Drought
Item: Heat Rock
EVs: 248 Hp/8 Sp. Atk/252 Def.
Moveset:
Flamethrower
Rock Slide
Eruption
Protect

Pheromosa
Ability: Beast Boost
Item: Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk/4 Def./252 Spd.
Moveset:
Quiver Dance
Ice Beam
Focus Blast
U-Turn

I have not added the other three slots yet, as I have no idea what to fill them with, but here is what info I have about the team thus far:

Please note, this team is for VGC 2017/Doubles!

My team uses the Lilligant/Torkoal sun core, which I have found rather effective (thanks to @Professor Palutena for the advice on this core a few months ago). The Grassium-Z on Lilligant has worked rather well for me in the past, but I would like to see if other options would work for it. For the Heat Rock on Torkoal, it helps me put the pressure on for just a little bit longer, and keeps Lilligant outspeeding things as long as possible.

I have included Pheromosa in my team because I am rather fond of how fast and powerful it is. After reading the thread Prof. Palutena posted on how it may/may not be banned, and finding out that it is difficult to wall and is only outsped by a few things, I decided to add it due to the fact that it seems to have worked well for me in the past. The set I usually use is not the one I have posted above, as I wanted to try something a little different.

At this point, I am looking for things to add to this team that would work well. From the testing I have done on Pokemon Showdown, I have liked having it with Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Toxapex, but that tends to not work as well (Plus, it gives the team a strong weakness to Fire). I am thinking about adding Garchomp and/or Tapu Lele or something, but I am at a loss as to what to do next.

This being said, I completely understand if anyone is unable to help. I know how busy people can be, so any help at all would be appreciated, no matter how simple.

Thanks,
-AV