Guide Teambuilding 101: How To Build Competitive Teams

Professor Palutena

The Queen
One question I get asked a lot is: "PP, how do I build a team". Or I'll talk with people about VG and the first thing they'll say is that they have no idea how to build, so they just pick 6 Pokemon and throw them together.

Teambuilding is, honestly, the most important part about competitive battling. A well-built team can handle most, if not all, of the battles they face. Yet teambuilding is an important skill that is rarely taught well, and is explained even worse. For how important of a skill it is, I feel like it would be best to teach how to build an effective team. So, using this thread, I will walk you through the teambuilding process so that you can see how it works. This process is largely intended to be generic so that you can apply these skills into any situation.

The Formulaic Approach: BAD

The most common approach I see to teambuilding is something formulaic. They'll usually say something like two sweepers + two walls + two support, or a variation thereof. This is generally a bad approach because it doesn't teach you anything beyond roles. For example, if I have Swords Dance + Stealth Rock Landorus-T, is it a sweeper or is it a support? Or if I have a Chansey, is it a wall or a support? It's too rigid of a model for new players.

But perhaps most importantly, it doesn't teach basic synergy. Because the approach suggests that any two sweepers can be used, you're missing out on the opportunity to have two sweepers work together to win the game. Similarly, your two walls might both be weak to the same threat but according to the formula, your team will be fine.

The Tree Model

This is the model I use, and I'll call it the tree model because of how it branches off from a single mon. This approach is a lot more intensive and requires research, but the payoff is worth it. In this approach, you start from a single Pokemon of your choice, whatever Pokemon you want, and go from there. This Pokemon can also be referred to as your win condition, as its generally your main plan for winning the game. For my team, I wanted to build around Mega Sharpedo.

Next up, you need to pick some Pokemon that help the win condition win. This generally requires some research, as you need to know what your win condition is weak to. For some, this is kind of obvious. For example, Mega Sharpedo struggles against bulky grass types as well as priority users. Eventually you'll learn this, but for now, it's best to consult other sites and research databases to learn exactly what your win condition needs eliminated. This is also true for defensive teams, as something like Mega Sableye wants teammates that can remove fairy types. No Pokemon is truly self sufficient, though some are close, and all of them appreciate team support. For my team, knowing what Mega Sharpedo is weak to, I went with Flyinium-Z Landorus-T and Choice Scarf Tapu Lele. Sharpedo works with both of these Pokemon and forms what is referred to as a "core".

From here on out, you just repeat the same process until you have six Pokemon. If all of your win condition's hurdles have been addressed, then move on to another Pokemon of your team. Right now, both Sharpedo and Landorus-T struggle to beat Water-types, so I should add a Grass-type of my own to beat them. So I'll add Serperior.

And keep repeating it. My team is fairly offensive at this point, and Pheromosa became a natural inclusion. This was due to its ability to thrive under Psychic terrain without worrying about priority, and it in general is a solid wall-breaker that can make it easier for Sharpedo to sweep. Or Pheromosa can be a back-up win condition if Sharpedo goes down. This is important, as your team still needs to be able to win even if your win condition goes down.

The Importance of Resistances

For my last slot, I noticed through my research that nothing on my team had a way to take on Tapu Lele as well as Tapu Koko (as they use Hidden Power Ice to beat Landorus-T). Therefore, I needed something to take both of them on. This, surprise, required more research. Eventually, I settled on Excadrill. Excadrill also patched up my team's weakness to stall, as its Mold Breaker ability allows it to Toxic any Mega Sableyes, and it has the STABs to beat both Lele and Koko.

I probably don't need to teach you how important resistances are, as they're fairly common sense. If your team lacks a resistance to a type, you're openly inviting Pokemon of that type to come in and clean your team. Similarly, lacking a resistance generally means that you'll have to sacrifice a Pokemon to get your answer in. For example, without Excadrill, my only way of beating Tapu Koko is to use Protect with Sharpedo, then Mega Evolve and attack with Poison Jab now that I outspeed. But in order to get Sharpedo in, I usually have to let one of my teammates get KOed as Sharpedo can't switch into Tapu Koko.

For SM OU, your team should have at least one resistance (and/or immunity) to every type, though some types are definitely higher priorities than others (for example, Psychic and Electric resistances are higher priorities for resistances than Fire or Ice). This is why having a Steel-type is so useful, as they have so many resistances to fall back on.

Here is how the team looks in the end:

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Poison Jab

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Stealth Rock

Pheromosa @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Serperior @ Meadow Plate
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse
- Taunt

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

---

I think that's all for my first VG article. If there is anything else you'd like me to write about, let me know! I hope this helped some of you out as you build your own teams. Help is always available here in the VG forum; all you need to do is ask!

- Prof

Last edited:
Back