Team W.O.E.

sazando101

Where all other dragons fail...
Team-building is an art, an art that is very hard to master. There are many different methods, using numbers, roles, cores, etc. I choose to use my own method. It started when I was hungry, so I was naturally thinking about food. My team had also been swept recently, and I was thinking about how to improve it. Then, I came upon something spectaculaur! I could combine the two to create a better team. I immediatly started thinking, and this is what I've come up with. #1 is obviously your lead. I compare this to breakfast. It is the thing that gets you started through the battle. Good leads are like healthy breakfasts, they give you a strong start. A lead should have some entry hazard, something special against other leads. Power is not the most important thing, that's for later on. At #3, you need something that will keep the battle going along, like lunch. It should be more powerful than your lead, but less powerful than your last pokemon. It should have some kind of synergy with your lead, and with your last pokemon. If your lead sets up entry hazards, #3 can also be a spin-blocker. Your last pokemon, #6, finishes the synergy between #1 and #3. It's like dinner. On offensive teams, it is your revenge killer, and on stall teams, it is just another staller. #2 and 4 are whatever you need them to be, like snacks inbetween meals. They mostly just cover your weaknesses, amplify your team's theme. On offensive teams, they can be revenge killers, sweepers, or baton passers. On stall teams, they can be hazers, fill in what entry hazards your team lacks, or just covers your weaknesses.   on. At #3, you need something that will keep the battle going along, like lunch. It should be more powerful than your lead, but less powerful than your last pokemon. It should have some kind of synergy with your lead, and with your last pokemon.
Team Building
I wanted to use my new strategy in a team, while employing the strategy that I liked, stall. I decided to use normal "offensive" pokemon in a stall team. I decided to use a core I had thought of a few weeks ago.
(Gliscor) (Heatran) (Gyarados)
Well, I needed three other pokemon, and I wanted entry hazards. I looked around at the types and saw two resisted fire, and one's STAB hits fire super effective, so I added the next pokemon.
(Gliscor) (Heatran) (Forretress) (Gyarados)
Well, I wanted a spin-blocker, one that worked well with Heatran, and insparation fell upon me, Disable had gotten a boost to 100 accuracy, and Gengar got it. Gengar was also super fast, and got Trick. So he went on the team.
(Gliscor) (Gengar) (Heatran) (Forretress) (Gyarados)
Now I needed a pokemon that could round off my weaknesses, and be a pain in any way. I noticed that my team lacked a good Starmie killer. With TB/IB/surf/HPFire, it could hit almost all of my pokemon super effectivly. Also, my team could easily be walled by Skarmory after heatran was dead, and I needed a solid counter. Luckily, most people run Physic over HP Fire on Starmie, so I found a good poke to use.
(Gliscor) (Gengar) (Heatran) (Forretress) (Magnezone) (Gyarados)
Now I was able to playtest the team, and what I saw wasn't good. Most of it was standard bad sets, but there were two pokemon not living to their potential, Gliscor and Magnezone. I also noticed I missed having sandstorm around so I replaced the two trouble pokes and went on.
(Hippowdon) (Gengar) (Heatran) (Forretress) (Rotom) (Gyarados)
"The Rennisance"
I tested the team again, and dear god it sucked. I decided I would have to build the team over again, this time, block by block. I re-started with Heatran.
(Heatran)
After testing to see what switched into my Heatran, I decided to put in its common partner, Celebi.
(Celebi) (Heatran)
I started to notice how easily I could be swept by anything with Earthquake and X-Scizzor, most notably LO Excadrill and Kabutops. Luckily, most Kabutops are CB, so I found it safe to have Gliscor rejoin the team.
(Celebi) (Heatran) (Gliscor)
I noticed that if the opponent had something like TyranaBoah with Excadrill, I was screwed, so I needed a solid counter to them.
(Celebi) (Heatran) (Gliscor) (Conkeldurr) 
I started to notice my team was having problems with stuff like Dragonite and Togekiss, and I lacked Wish support. I decided it couldn't Hurt to add a Jirachi.
(Celebi) (Heatran) (Gliscor) (Conkeldurr) (Jirachi)
My five pokemon team did suprisingly well, covering all threats, but it was missing something, and that something was a spinner and a toxic spiker. I was also missing a bulky water, so Tentacruel went on my team.
(Celebi) (Heatran) (Gliscor) (Conkeldurr) (Jirachi) (Tentacruel)

Lead:
Celebi@ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252HP/220Def./36Sp.Att.
Moves:
-HP Fire
-Grass Knot
-Stealth Rock
-Thunder Wave
Main comments: A good team needs to get off to a good start, and that is what Celebi provides me. With coverage moves that hit 3 of the 4 weather starters, it can sweep, and with Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, and enough bulk to survive Tyranitar's Pusuit with 50% left, it can wall too. Celebi replaced Gliscor as my lead and does about ten times better, forming half of the CeleTran combo.
Moveset comments: The moveset is actually pretty simple. I chose Grass Knot over Energy Ball or Giga Drain due to the fact it can 2HKO threats like Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Politoed, and Gyarados. HP Fire is to hit things like Scizor and Natteori, but I am considering changing it to Earth Power due to the fact Heatran has Lava Plume. Thunder Wave is a nice move to cripple fast threats that rely on speed to win. I am considering changing this to Leech Seed or Heal Bell for further damage or support. Stealth Rock is a move I like on a lead.
EV spread comments: With these EVs, Celebi reaches about 300 defense, 404 HP, and 245 special attack. That means it can wall any neutral hit and bounce it back in any way it feels. Not much to talk about. Here are some calcs...
68-80% from max attack Tyranitar's Pursuit while switching out
66-78% from max attack Banded Scizor's Pursuit while switching out.
So... you get the picture.
Against other Leads:
Azelf: This is pretty easy. I can HP Fire to break the sash on it, then switch to Conkeldurr on the SR and KO with Payback.

Machamp: Haha! Machamp thinks it can kill me, but all I have to do is tank its hits, TW for good measure, and KO with Grass Knot.

Dragonite: I hate Dragonite, but. I can deal with it. I just TW the first turn and switch to Tentacruel to KO with Ice Beam.

Roserade: Rosetade is another pokemon who thinks it can defeat me, but Celebi has Natural Cure, making Sleep Powder almost useless, I just wait to wake-up and KO with HP Fire.

Swampert: Oh dear, do I even need to explain... just TW whatever it switches to.

Kojondo: Fake Out is mildly annoying, but I just take it to Heatran and Protect when I predict a HJK.

Tyranitar: Celebi takes 50% from Pursuit switching out, but I usually just Grass Knot to kill.

Ninjask: HP Fire, Thunder Wave, 'nuff said.

Metagross: I can Thunder Wave to prevent movement, and KO with HP Fire.

Aerodactyl: I usually switch to Conkeldurr on the Taunt, Drain Punch, and Mach Punch.

Hipowdon: I think the fact I have Grass Knot says enough.

Politoed: I can TW, and Grass Knot it to death, because it won't KO me without Specs.

Ninetails: I usually switch to Heatran on the fire move, sub, and stall.

Natteori: HP Fire to 2HKO while it tries to set up.

Infernape: I switch to Heatran on the fire move, switch to Gliscor on the CC and KO with EQ.

Early Morning Snack:
Conkeldurr@ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
Nature: Careful
EVs: 192HP/168Att./200Sp.Def.
Moves:
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Payback
-Mach Punch
Main comments: Conkeldurr is really the only pokemon on my team I really call offensive, and yet I still use it as a wall. It's really quite sad how many times I'm able to get him to +6 with Bulk Up. The thing can takes 88%-103%from Chandelure's Overheat meaning a 33% chance to OHKO; with max special attack. That means almost nothing can break Conkeldorr's bulk.
Moveset comments: I can truthfully say I did not come up with this set. I came up with using it, but found it on some thread. Yet... it works like a charm. It's quite simple. Bulk Up to the max, and when something threatining comes in, use Drain Punch if it doesn't resist, and Payback if it does. Mach Punch is for fast threats if either of us are at full health.
EV comments: These EVs are pure gold. I started out with a standard 120HP/252Att./136Sp.Def. spread and made my own changes. It now lies at 400 Att, about 200HP, and about 200 special defense. That means it can tank almost any hit and send it right back, simple enough. 

Lunch:
Heatran@ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Calm
EVs: 248HP/128Def./132Sp.Def.
Moves:
-Torment
-Lava Plume
-Protect
-Substitute
Main comments: When an early morning drama gets you down, a good lunch picks you right back up, and that is why Heatran is on this team. I've turned matches completely around with him. He can tank more things than less with his base 106 defenses, and he has tons of resistances. And don't forget the base 130 special attack that it looks like I didn't acknowledge at all, but Lava Plume plays a large part in this set. Power+Burn Chance= a lot of KO's. Last of all, it forms the second half of my Celetran duo,
Moveset comments: I admit that I did not make up this moveset in the slightest. In fact, when I first saw it, I doubted it in every way possible. Then I saw it on a decent RMT on Smogon, used it, and fell in love with it. With Wish support and Toxic Spikes support, Heatran can rip apart any team that has had all ground types terminated by Celebi. Okay, on to the description. Torment is what makes this Tormentran, allowing the opponent to only use on different move every turn and not repeatedly. This means Heatran can stay behind a sub for a long time and protect every time a dangerous move comes along. This allows me to stay behind sub for half of the game if played correctly. Lava Plume is my only attacking move, but with a burn chance, I can burn things like Garchomp, Tyranitar, Swampert, and Gyarados on the switch and make them nearly useless against me.
EV comments: Okay, I din't make up the EVs either, but I combined the EVs and the set to make the freaking best wall on the face of the pokemon world. Yeah... I almost mean that. With 248 EVs in HP, Heatran goes to 385 HP, and with 128 and 132 in Defense and Special Defense, Heatran reaches about 280 on both sides. Along with the resistances, Heatran takes crazy little damage. For example, here are some calcs from the RMT I got this from:
0 SpAtk Vaporeon Surf vs Heatran - (43.64% - 51.43%)
0 SpAtk Suicune Surf vs Heatran - (36.36% - 43.64%)
+2 0 SpAtk Suicune Surf vs Heatran - (73.25% - 86.23%)
+6 0 SpAtk Jirachi Thunderbolt vs Heatran - (52.99% - 62.34%)
+6 +252 SpAtk Jirachi Thunderbolt vs Heatran - (73.51% - 86.49%)
+252 Attack Gyarados Waterfall vs Heatran - (69.09% - 81.56%)
0 SpAtk Zapdos Thunderbolt vs Heatran - (24.16% - 28.83%)
252 SpAtk Rotom-A Thunderbolt vs Heatran - (26.49% - 31.17%)
Not much else to say after those so... moving on

Early Afternoon Snack:

Late Afternoon Snack:

Dinner:
Gliscor@ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252HP/196Def./60Sp.Def.

Back