Ruling Team Up Rulings

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
The Compendium has been updated with some rulings focusing on Team Up. If you were a Judge or Organizer you may remember these on the prerelease FAQ.

Copycat (Mimikyu - Team Up)
Q. When I use Mimikyu's "Copycat" attack, do I need to have the same required energy as the opponent's previous attack?
A. No, you only need whatever energy is required on Mimikyu in order to use its Copycat attack. However, if the attack requires you to do something with a particular type of energy you don't have, you cannot use that part of the copied attack. (Team Up FAQ; Jan 31, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Devilish Hands GX (Hoopa GX - Team Up)
Q. When using Hoopa GX's "Devilish Hands GX" attack, can I keep choosing a Pokemon that would already be Knocked Out by previous choices, or do I have to choose a different Pokemon once I have done enough damage to KO the first one?
A. You make all 6 choices before doing any damage; so if you wish, you can do more damage than you need to a Pokemon in order to knock it out. (Team Up FAQ; Jan 31, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Drag Off (Nidoking - Team Up)
Q. If my opponent has no benched Pokemon, do I do 50 damage to their active Pokemon when I use Nidoking's "Drag Off" attack?
A. No. Damage is only done to the "new Active Pokemon". If there is no switch, then no damage is done. (Team Up FAQ; Jan 31, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Head Hunt (Zangoose - Team Up)
Q. When I use Zangoose's "Head Hunt" attack, do I have to put all Pokemon I find into my hand, or can I choose to discard some or all of them?
A. Since you get to choose which Pokemon to reveal, you can choose to discard some or all of them. (Team Up FAQ; Jan 31, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Shadow Seeker (Absol - Team Up)
Q. Does the extra Retreat cost placed by Absol's "Dark Ambition" Ability increase the damage done by Absol's "Shadow Seeker" attack?
A. Yes it does. (Team Up FAQ; Jan 31, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Thunderous Assault (Zapdos - Team Up)
Q. If my opponent Knocks Out my Active Pokemon and I promote my Zapdos to be Active after the attack, do I get the bonus 70 damage for "Thunderous Assault"?
A. No. In this scenario you promoted the Zapdos while it was still your opponent's turn. In order to get Thunderous Assault's additional damage it would have to become Active during YOUR turn. (Team Up FAQ; Jan 31, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Dance of the Ancients (Tapu Koko {*} - Team Up)
Q. If I have Tapu Koko {*} and only one other Pokemon on the bench, can I use "Dance of the Ancients" to put 2 {L} Energy on that one other Benched Pokemon?
A. No, in this case, you can put only one {L} Energy on that Benched Pokemon. The second {L} Energy would have to go onto Tapu Koko {*}, but then gets discarded immediately anyway when Tapu Koko {*} goes to the Lost Zone. (Team Up FAQ; Jan 31, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. If I only have one {L} Energy in my discard pile, can I use Tapu Koko {*}'s "Dance of the Ancients" Ability to put it on one of my Benched Pokemon?
A. Yes, you would do as much as you can. (Team Up FAQ; Jan 31, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Dark Ambition (Absol - Team Up)
Q. Does the extra Retreat cost placed by Absol's "Dark Ambition" Ability increase the damage done by Absol's "Shadow Seeker" attack?
A. Yes it does. (Team Up FAQ; Jan 31, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Nine Temptations (Ninetales - Team Up)
Q. Can I use Ninetales' "Nine Temptations" Ability if my opponent has no benched Pokemon?
A. Yes, you can discard 2 {R} Energy cards from your hand, and that's it. (Team Up FAQ; Jan 31, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Roaring Resolve (Charizard - Team Up)
Q. If I use Charizard's "Roaring Resolve" Ability with only 10hp left, does he get KO'd when I place the 2 damage counters before or after I search & attach 2 {R} Energy cards?
A. You must finish all the text of the Ability before checking for knockouts, so yes you would search your deck and attach {R} Energy cards before KO'ing Charizard. (Team Up FAQ; Jan 31, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Ingo and Emmet (Team Up)

Q. When using Ingo & Emmet, if I choose to draw 5 cards from the bottom or my deck, what happens to the top card that I looked at?
A. You put it back on top before you draw the 5 cards from the bottom. (Team Up FAQ; Jan 31, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Judge Whistle (Team Up)
Q. If I use Judge Whistle and choose to put a "Judge" card from my discard pile into my hand, can I put a "Judge Whistle" into my hand?
A. No, that choice only allows you to put a card named "Judge" into your hand; it does not allow you to get a card "with Judge in its name". (Team Up FAQ; Jan 31, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Back