Team Typhoon

Chillarmy

El problemo?
Hey beachers!!!
I've been experimenting with the Gen 5 metagame for a while now, and it has proven to be an amazing experience so far. Weather rules the metagame right now, no team is safe!! So, I've decided to take advantage of the new RMT of the month feature on Pokebeach to share some of my experiences with you beachers. So with out further ado, Team Typhoon!! (No reference to the TCG group intended)

politoed%5B1%5D.png

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Drizzle
Modest Nature
252 Sp Att/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP

- Boil Over
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Psychic

Politoed, with its new Dream World ability Drizzle skyrocketing in usage, moveing from #218 to #12 in usage on PO. An insane jump, just because of auto rain. So, besides his amazing ability Drizzle, what else can Politoed do? Well, he can put many threatening leads to status, making them lose help and support the team later on. Also, with Toed's good base 100 Sp. Defence, he makes a decent special tank. However, using a Choice Scarf, Toed can hit a respectable speed, making it a surprise KO'r.

For this set, Boil Over is superior to Surf. The 30% Burn rate absolutely wrecks and speed physical sweepers such as Doryuuzu, Scizor, and Infernape, and its worth sacrificing the 15 base power for that hax. Ice Beam provides good coverage on grass types. I'm unsure which Hidden Power to use, comments are appreciated. Psychic is mostly filler, and it covers Roobushin, Machamp, and friends. I used this EV spread to make Toed a big special attacker for the surprise factor.

parasect.png

Parasect @ Leftovers
Dry Skin
Impish Nature
252 HP/ 128 Def/ 128 Sp Def

- X-Scissor
- Spore
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

Parasect is another pokemon that really skyrocketed in use because of Politoed's new ability, Drizzle. With Dry Skin, Leftovers, and Leech Seed, Parasect heals 27% of its health MINIMUM every turn. This makes Parasect able to repetitively set up the Sub without learning any HP, while the opponent is slowly whittled down by Leech Seed. And in the rain, Parasect's Fire weakness is halfed, so non-STAB Fire attacks are much less likely to KO.

Parasect needs both Substitute and Leech Seed to be able to SubSeed effectively. As said before, with Leftovers, Leech Seed, and Dry Skin, Parasect gains 27% minimum of its HP every turn, making it self-sustaining with Substitute. Spore gives Parasect an oppurtunity to set up, and cripples any incoming counters being switched in. X-Scissor is my weapon against Taunters, most magic guarders, and Espeon, who all would otherwise wreck this set. I chose this EV spread to maximize Parasect's ability to take hits.

kabutops.png

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Swift Swim
Jolly Nature
252 Att/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP

- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

If Chuck Norris was a pokemon (on a surfboard), he'd probably be Kabutops. Kabutops has an amazing attack, complemented by an amazing ability in Swift Swim. Kabutops makes as a great physical sweeper, and also a spectacular revenge killer in the rain. Then cap that all off with two awesome STAB moves, STAB priority, and a great boosting move, you've got yourself a scary good pokemon.

Kabutops has that amazing base 105 Attack, and Swords Dance makes Kabutops even more powerful. Using just one Swords Dance, Kabutops hits around 660 Attack. Swords Dance is an amazing option to make KAbutops even more powerful tha he already is. Waterfall and Stone Edge are both amazing moves, hitting resistors hard with a SD. Aqua Jet is my priority move, in case I need a guarenteed KO against other priority. The EV spread maximizes my speed and my attacking potential.

zapdos.png

Zapdos @ Leftovers
LightningRod
Modest Nature
192 HP/ 64 Sp Att/ 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Roost
- Thunder
- HP Grass

LightningRod got a huge upgrade in Gen 5, turning it from a compltely useless ability in single battles to a valuable and almost vital attribute on any Rain Dance team. Now, LightningRod completely absorbs any electric attack, and the beholder gains +1 Sp. Attack. How does Zapdos fit into this team? I switch in on an Electric attack, Sub, and proceed to sweep!

This Zapdos runs a SubRoost combo, but has more offensive EVs to maximize its ability as a bulky sweeper. Substitute and Roost is great for Stalling out low PP moves like Stone Edge, and keeps Zapdos up and running for a long time. Thunder has perfect accuracy in the rain, and deals massive damage with STAb and a supreme special attack. HP Grass has coverage against Ground/Water types, and any other Swift Swimmers that may be lurking.

salamence.png

Salamence @ Life Orb
Overconfidence
Naive Nature
200 Att/ 56 Sp Att/ 252 Spe

- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Brick Break
- Hydro Pump

Salamence continues to be the beast it always was, but in Gen 5 it got a new tool called Overconfidence. Basically, when Salamence knocks out a poke, he gains +1 Att. So if Salamence gets one DD, he can go on and KO and KO, gaining more and more Attack. Also, Salamence has a speical little known weapon called Hydro pump, which packs a surprise KO a lot of the time.

Salamence needs to Dragon Dance up at least once to rise to the maximum. +1 Speed outspeeds everything except Deoxys, Deoxys-S, and Ninjask, which makes him an extremely capable sweeper. Dragon Claw is my solid yet powerful STAB attack, while Stone Edge is coverage against Ice types. Hydro Pump is my super powerful surprise attack, dealing huge amounts to any Rock or Fire types hoping for the OHKO. The EV spread is so that Salamence can hit hard with both physical and special moves, while still capitlizing as much as possible on his speed.

vaporeon.png

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Hydration
Bold Nature
56 HP/ 252 Def/ 200 Sp Def

- Boil Over
- Roar
- Wish
- Protect

Vappy also got a new and improved ability named Hydration. Picture Vappy in Generation 4. Huge Bulk. Wish Protect. Heal Bell. Roar. Have I frustrated you? Now imagine if that Vaporeon could not be inflicted by status. Hello-o-o Hydration. Vaporeon is extremely good with its new ability, taking massive hits like a champ and Wishing off the damage.

Boil Over, as said in Politoed's analysis, is chosen over Surf for the 30% burn rate. It can also hit fairly hard in the rain. Heal Bell, unfortuneately, is incompatible with Hydration, so Roar must be used. Then there's the classic Wish Protect combo that keeps Vappy and its teammates going strong. I used this EV spread to maximize Vappy's already awesome bulk.

Well, that my RMT of the month. Comments and criticism are welcomed!

A Rain Team?
Yes. Just Yes.
I can rate this team with experience, as I've been using a Rain Dance Team since I started Pokemon Online. To begin with, we have Politoed. IMO, Politoed makes a great Choice scarf lead, as many teams see him as a heavy-set tank, so throwing them off with a respectable speed and amazing coverage with Boil Over and Hidden Power is well worth the EV's invested in speed. Parasect? No big changes there; the set is almost perfect, but give Parasect max HP EV's. He can't take many hits without it, even with high defenses. As for Kabutops, a Rapid Spinner would do the team a lot of good, as Stealth Rock and Spikes would ruin A LOT of your Pokemon. Just switch Swords Dance for Rapid spin; you won't be sorry. Zapdos looks pretty good, except for one little problem. If you're using a Sub-Roost set, Zapdos will need a lot more HP EV's, so he can successfully set up the sub. You can divide the rest of the EV's between Sp. Atk and Speed, as you've already done. Salamence would be a welcome addition to the team, but picture a Dragon-type almost twice as fast with STAB Hydro Pump and awesome mixed attacking capability? Say hello to Kingdra, my friend. Abusing his Swift Swim ability has kept Rain Dance teams in the spotlight for years, so why not see how he will do in the fifth generation? As for Vaporeon, everything looks in good order, Heal Bell is a good choice for it's supporting abilities. Good luck with you future in competitive battling, and may the Force be With You. :)

And also with you :) I will test these changes, although they all look good. My changes will be posted in bold.

Thanks for making some of those changes! Teams looks better already.
Go for hidden power Fighting or Focus Blast on Politoed, it's great on Tyranitar leads who think they outspeed you with Choice Scarf.

Well, I was going to rate the team, but it looks like he covered it all up:) anyway, i'm planning on making a team, and I want to include pictures of the pokemon, so... where did you get the artwork for the pokemon?

http://www.arkeis.com/pokemonfactory.htm

That's where the artwork is generated.

And Chillarmy, here's a general tip: Try to save your Vaporeon and Politoed for later-game if at all possible, they are your only counters to the Sandstorm Hax known as Doryuuzu. I can make some threat lists for the team, and you/we could figure how your team counters them, and what changes could be made. Just a Suggestion!

I'm going to go pretty standard rain on you so whats coming is for everyone.

Manaphy can be used over Vaporeon. It's a simple staple on rain teams. Using a Mix Kingdra over Mence is also a better idea. It gets a good boost from swift swim and can sweep if need be. You could try Magnezone or Jolteon over Zapdos. Both are useful for rain teams. I suggest Magnezone more though because you want to kill Nattorei.

Lastly try Nattorei over Parasect. This gives you a counter to rain teams which are prety dangerous to yours and counters alot of stuff like Latios and Latias. I suggest a Shed Shell version because you don't want enemy Magnezone catching you. You don't have to do all this but I really suggest using Nattorei and Kingdra. Manaphy is also reccomended.

Good Luck!

@Shadow Lugia: that sounds great! Making a threat list would be awesome!

@PDC: Well, considering Manaphy is banned right now, I can't use it on my team. I would have otherwise, for sure!! I have avoided Kingdra because it is compltely walled by Nattorei. I am changing Stone Edge to Brick Break, with some attack boosts it should be a solid 2HKO. Magnezone sounds good, I will test that. I have really liked what Parasect has been doing for me, but I will test Nattorei. Thanks for the rate :)

Back