Overview:
dpmfb251.png
dpmfb245.png
dpmfb472.png
dpmfb386.png
dpmfb485.png
dpmfb145.png

Intro:
Despite the great success of offensive teams, I wanted to prove that's it's still cool to use stall. The mechanics of this team will be described in length in this post, but the basic concept is to slowly wear down the opponent to sweep at the end. Its name, Doppler Effect, comes from switching to adjust to the opponent's strategy. This team reached 1620 before letting it fall on the leaderboard. This isn't the ultimate team, but it does the job done consistently. It performs incredibly in a non-Garchomp environment.

Game Plan:
This team's strength lies in its defensive core. It has an answer for almost every offensive threat. An essential strategy of this team is to maintain good health across the board. That's why there is an abundance of Sleep Talkers. Prediction is crucial with this team, especially when dealing with major potential threats. A Pokemon like Salamence must be handled carefully because the wrong switch could mean winning and losing the game. By analyzing the opponent's moves, I'm able to determine the right course of action. With a stall team, it is important that you keep up with the opponent. It is very possible to lose badly if you give your opponent a free turn. I'll explain each of the Pokemon's roles to help you further understand the way this team is played.

In Depth:
251.png
@ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 222 Def / 36 Spe
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
- Leech Seed
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Recover

Description: Celebi is a safe lead. If the opponent's Pokemon doesn't pose a threat, I can Leech Seed or switch out to gain the advantage. Psychic is in place of Hidden Power Ice because Zapdos does a better job of handling Salamence. Furthermore, Lucario can't set up on Celebi because it's looking at a 2HKO. Psychic also works wonders against opposing Machamp, which can be an unseen weakens for many teams. Grass Knot is for Water-types like Vaporeon and other Pokemon like Gliscor, which hurts badly if they use Roost first. Recover is for regaining your health quickly. It should be used conservatively since Leech Seed does a good job at restoring Celebi's HP.

EVs: Bold and 222 allows me to take any neutral physical attack like it's nothing. The 36 EVs in speed allow me to outspeed things like the common Gyarados, Tyranitar, and Zapdos. This spread is capable of surviving a bulky Choice Band Tyranitar's Crunch, which allows me to stay in and get a 2-3HKO with Grass Knot. Since this is unexpected, most of the time I catch my opponent trying to Pursuit Celebi. This forces them to switch out and gives me the chance to create further havoc with Leech Seed.

Team Work: Celebi is important for dealing with Pokemon like Vaporeon and Blissey. Vaporeon completely walls Suicune, and even though I can PP stall it and win, it's much easier to take care of it with Celebi. Blissey also has trouble against Celebi. After a Leech Seed, it restores 100% of the health lost from a Seismic Toss thanks to Blissey having so much HP. Celebi's purpose isn't to take out Blissey, but to weaken it for Deoxys-S. Celebi is my counter to other Celebi, seeing as though it can't do anything to it. Any form of Lucario not carrying Crunch has trouble against this Celebi.

245.png
@ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Surf

Description: Suicune is a major part of this team. Since it can potentially sweep an entire team, I have to be careful how I use it. Calm Mind makes its special attack and special defense grow astronomically. Rest is to restore its HP and Sleep Talk makes Suicune a constant threat. Many times, the opponent will switch out to something like Tyranitar, Garchomp, Infernape, or Lucario, only to eat a huge Surf from Sleep Talk. Sleep Talk also allows you to further set up your Calm Minds. Since the only attack Suicune has is a Water-type attack, Pokemon with Water Absorb (IE: Vaporeon) completely wall this set. However, they don't wall it if you look closer. Even a critical hit Hidden Power Electric from Vaporeon won't come close to OHKOing Suicune, so it's just a game of Pressure stall. They will be forced to Struggle before you will, unless they switch. In which case, you will proceed with Sleep Talk or Surf.

EVs: Max HP and defense are the only way to go with Suicune. Since you are going to be increasing its special defense with each Calm Mind, you need to have the physical end of your defense covered. This allows you to survive any physical hit; however, it's better if you don't leave Suicune for doing heavy walling. Suicune's function in this team is much better as a Calm Minder. The 4 EVs in speed allow it to outspeed or tie other Suicune.

Team Work: Suicune comes in on something that can't hurt it. Believe it or not, I find that the best thing to send it in on is Blissey. That's because the worst thing you'll take is a Thunder Wave or Seismic Toss. Since Blissey can normally manhandle Suicune, your opponent will be inclined to keep Blissey in, allowing you to freely set up your Calm Minds. The Sleep Talker set always beats Blissey because Sleep Talk will either hit Blissey with a few Surfs after 6 Calm Minds or Pressure stall it so that it runs out of Softboileds. Unless Suicune has several Calm Minds set up, leaving walling things like Garchomp and Heracross to Gliscor. If Suicune has a sufficient amount of Calm Minds set up, then it can continue sweeping. It will survive any neutral attack they use as long as Suicune is at or near full health.

472.png
@ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Roost

Description: This thing walls just about every physical offensive threat, save Gyarados. With good type coverage, incredible defense, and respectable HP, Gliscor carries the burden of most of the physical walling. I usually like to set up Stealth Rock early in the game, but not at the expense of Gliscor's health. Earthquake makes threats suchs as Tyranitar and Metagross cry and Ice Fang is for threats like Garchomp and Salamence. Roost restores my HP, while negating my Flying-type attribute. This can be very useful is something slower comes in thinking they can destroy it with an Ice-type attack. Although, it's better if you just switch out to something that resists Ice-type attacks.

EVs: It might seem odd that Gliscor is only running 184 EVs in defense, but that still gives it a stat of 365. The 72 EVs in speed are nice for outspeeding Tyranitar, which forces it to switch out or be knocked out. I've considered testing the standard spread with 252 EVs in defense, but I haven't encountered a problem with this yet. After a Swords dance, Garchomp would still 2HKO Gliscor with Outrage regardless of how many EVS I invested.

Team Work: Gliscor is given the task of setting up Stealth Rock. This can only be done when the coast is clear to switch into something like Heracross or Lucario. Gliscor can also switch into Heatran if I suspect they'll use Earth Power. The beauty in this is that they either outspeed and can't hit Gliscor because they are using a Choice Scarf or they miss Gliscor and then cannot stay in because I outspeed them. Gliscor's largest role is sacrificing itself for Garchomp. Gliscor switches into a Swords Dance and knocks off Garchomp's Yache Berry with Ice Fang. If they Dragon Claw, it will be a 3HKO, so the only thing that can effectively take out Gliscor is Outrage. Once it's trapped using Outrage, I go to Deoxys-S for the revenge kill.

386.png
@ Life Orb
EVs: 166 Atk / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Nature: Naïve (+Spe, -SpD)
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Superpower
- Shadow Ball

Description: Deoxys-S is the only offensive force on this team. Its job is to come in safely at the end of the game and sweep whatever mess is left. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt offer a lot of coverage and deal some good neutral damage. Superpower is for Blissey, Heatran, and Tyranitar. Shadow Ball offers a lot more coverage since I already have Psychic on Celebi. Often times I'll use Shadow Ball if I know something will switch out to try and drop the special defense of the incoming Pokemon. Often times, it's a Celebi, so I can finish it off with Ice Beam.

EVs: This is another interesting EV spread that seems to work in this team's favor. Most of the time, you'll see the EV spread as 252/252 for special attack and speed. However, the only reason why I would need that many speed EVs is if I want to risk a speed tie against an opposing Deoxys-S. Since I already have Celebi, Suicune, and Zapdos to wall Deoxys-S, it doesn't seem logical to give this max speed. In order for a stall team to be successful, you need to keep your necessary walls alive. This has worked wonderful for me in this team. Deoxys-s has a little bit more physical attack to surprisingly KO Blissey with a good sum of HP left. This also puts less of a buden on my walls because they don't have to stay in as long trying to beat the opponent's HP down.

Team Work: Deoxys-S is like the final lap in a race. In order to bring it out, all of my opponent's Pokemon need to be around or below 60 percent of their HP. If that's accomplished, there's a very good chance that I can win. Often times I'll find myself calculating, "Five turns to kill four Pokemon." I've been able to do that many times. Basically, once this comes out, I'm risking the game. I'll either pull it off or risk losing. This Deoxys-S requires a lot of prediction in a team like this, since you typically don't send this out with the lead. Naturally, somethings need to be cleared before this is sent out. Things like Bronzong and Swampert are bulky and only take neutral damage from Deoxys-S. That means that you will be hitting them with a neutral Thunderbolt or Ice Beam and they will be retaliating with a STAB Gyro Ball or Earthquake.

485.png
@ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 48 SpA / 208 SpD
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Description: Heatran switches in on special sweepers that can't touch it. Since Heatran has great typing, it's easy to switch around with it. Lava Plume has a high burn rate, 30 percent, for incoming Gyarados and Garchomp. Earth Power is for opposing Heatran and things that resist Fire-type attacks, like Starmie and Vaporeon. Rest is awesome for outstalling Cresselia and other dangerous, bulky Pokemon that can't really touch Heatran. Sleep Talk is great for a surprise move on opponent's thinking that Heatran will be fast asleep. This works great against Lucario and Infernape switches.

EVs: The spread on Heatran is incredibly bulky from a special defense persepctive. A lot of bulky Heatran also run EVs in defense, but seeing as though I already have three physical defense walls, that would be redundant. Furthermore, it allows me to put a lot more EVs in special defense. This set works very good against Pokemon like Porygon-Z and Zapdos. Even things like Magnezone have trouble because of Heatran's excessively large special defense stat and two different super effective moves. With 252 EVs in HP, Heatran can even switch into choice users using an attack it resists. The remaining EVs go into special attack to give a little extra boost to Lava Plume and Earth Power.

Team Work: Heatran works for countering Pokemon the rest of my team can't handle. Choice Specs Salamence would do a number on my team without Heatran. It takes Draco Meteor very well and Flamethrower raises the power of Heatran's Fire-type moves. This works well in conjunction with Celebi; however, I don't solely use CeleTran to get the boost from Flash Fire. It's more of a mind game. On the second time around, my opponent will usually use Hydro Pump expecting Heatran. This gives me a chance to Leech Seed Salamence. Even if I did switch to Salamence, Hydro Pump won't do much more than half since it's unSTABed. Since it has a higher chance of missing than other standard attacks like Thunderbolt, Heatran has the advantage in this scenerio. It's risky to go straight to Heatran the first time you see Salamence because it could Dragon Dance. The best way you can tell what kind of a set its using is to see what it switched in on and what other kind of Pokemon they have on their team.

145.png
@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Roost
- Sleep Talk

Description: Zapdos is one of those Pokemon I'm always glad to have backing me up. STAB Thunderbolt helps me take care of pesky Vaporeon and Starmie, which can cause problems for this team. This make my team come full circle. Hidden Power Ice is to deal with Gliscor and Salamence. Roost is to restore my HP in a pinch, which is commonly needed as long as my opponent has Stealth Rock up. Sleep Talk may seem completely random, but it's always put to great use. It spells Gengar's death since there isn't much that Gengar can do to Zapdos. Sleep Talk is also great for absorbing when battling a Breloom. Since this Zapdos outspeeds the standard Adamant Breloom, Sleep Talk can severely cripple or KO Breloom.

EVs: The EVs for this set are pretty standard. Give it enough speed to outrun the standard Gyarados and put the rest into special defense. This stops almost every special sweeper in their tracks, save for the ones that can Calm Mind. To put the amount of special defense in perspective for you, Draco Meteor is an XHKO as long as I Roost on the first hit. I can also forego the Roosting and simply use Hideen Power Ice to OHKO Salamence. However, it's advisable that Zapdos has enough HP to be able to return to the game after a switch.

Team Work: Zapdos primarily deals with special sweepers Heatran can't always handle, such as Gengar. Additionally, Zapdos is arguably one of the best mixed sweeper Salamence counters in the game. It can live a Draco Meteor with ease, resist Brick Break, and is immune to Earthquake. Zapdos, along with Celebi, is also my answer to opposing Suicune. Most importantly, Zapdos is great for outstalling opposing Deoxys-S since it can Roost most of the damage off from each hit. Life Orb recoil takes a toll on Deoxys-S after a while. After a few turns, Thunderbolt will finish it off.

Threat List:
Tyranitar: Celebi can handle the Choice Scarf and Tyraniboah with ease. Gliscor takes care of the DD set, as long as it isn't packing Ice Beam. Suicune basically covers all of the sets.
Gyarados: Celebi takes care of Gyarados well. If it's a DD Life Orb set, then I get a Grass Knot in to bring it below half and switch to Suicune to further its Life Orb damage and finish it off with Surf.
Infernape: Suicune and Zapdos absolutely stop this thing in it's tracks. I prefer Zapdos because Suicune takes a decent amount of damage from Grass Knot.
Azelf: Heatran covers everything this thing can do.
Rhyperior: Celebi and Suicune destroy this.
Electivire: Celebi covers this well. Leech Seed to stall it out with Recover. If it's Choice Band, then I'll just Leech Seed and switch out to something that resists Ice-type attacks (IE: Suicune or Heatran).
Heracross: Gliscor draws circles around this guy.
Salamence: Gliscor works aganst any physical set. Heatran covers Specsmence and Zapdos covers Mixedmence.
Togekiss: Suicune can CM on it, Heatran resists its most common attack(s), and Zapdos destroys it with Thunderbolt.
Gengar: Heatran can work against Specsgar or Scarfgar. Zapdos is awesome for the standard set.
Garchomp: Gliscor knocks off the Yache Berry with Ice Fang and either finishes it off with Ice Fang (providing Garchomp has Dragn Claw) or is sacrificed for Deoxys-S to come in for the revenge kill.
Raikou: This thing is the only counter to this team. I have nothing to counter it. Sometimes I replace Zapdos with the standard Curse Snorlax, which does wonder against Raikou. If I don't have Snorlax, then good game.
Lucario: Since they usually switch in on something like Celebi, it works fine because it has Psychic. Otherwise I have Gliscor and Suicune for physical variants and Zapdos for Specscario.
Tauros: Gliscor laughs at this dude.
Starmie: Celebi can switch in on a Surf and mess it up a bit. Zapdos can also switch into it and either Thunderbolt or Roost.
Weavile: Suicune and Hearan cover this well.
Dugtrio: It has no counters, but Gliscor and Zapdos evade its Arena Trap ability, so it's simple to cover.
Alakazam: Heatran or Zapdos do fine.
Porygon-Z: Heatran makes STAB TRi Attack look like Swift.
Medicham: Depending upon the set, Celebi, Suicune, or Gliscor can do fine against this. If it's Choiced, then Heatran can even switch in on an Ice Punch.
Staraptor: Gliscor covers everything this guy can do.
Slowbro: Set up fodder for Suicune. Zapdos and Celebi also have no trouble with this.
Machamp: Celebi outspeeds it and lands a big Psychic. Otherwise, Suicune can bring it down.
Jolteon: Celebi and Zapdos take care of it.
Aerodactyl: Celebi, Suicune, or gliscor can handle it. It usually doesn't even get passed Celebi.
Snorlax: Leech Seed with Celebi and then either Grass Knot, which will eventually win from a critical hit, or switch out to Suicune and set up.
Zapdos: Celebi makes Zapdos cry.
Blissey: Celebi for Leech Seed. It recovers all of the damage from a Seismic Toss with it. Once it's below 65 percent of its HP, Deoxys-S can come in for the kill.
Suicune: Celebi for Leech Seed and Grass Knot or Zapdos for Thunderbolt.
Sceptile: Celebi is good matchup. Zapdos works well, but it has to deal with Leech Seed or status conditions.
Breloom: Zapdos laughs since it resists everything unless Breloom is using Stone Edge, which is rare and won't OHKO. Gliscor and Celebi also completely laugh at this guy.
Slaking: Gliscor or Suicune work. This is actually good set up fodder for Suicune since I can Rest on the turn in between its attacks.
Tangrowth: Celebi is my main answer for this. Heatran and Deoxys-S can revenge kill.
Ninjask: Gliscor and Heatran take no nonesense for this dude.
Metagross: Set up fodder for Suicune.
Heatran: Suicune, Zapdos, and my own Heatran drive this thing crazy.
Celebi: Heatran and Deoxys-S finish this off. Often times it's the last thing on my opponent's team to go down.
Jirachi: Heatran handles every version except for the Calm Mind set. If it runs CM, then I need to have Suicune get into a CM war with it. The first one to get a critical hit wins.
Deoxys-S: Celebi handles this well. Zapdos also laughs at the standard Deoxys-S. Heatran only has to fear Superpower, which won't come close to KOing provided that I'm near or at full health.

Conclusion:
This was my first major stall team. It's interesting because as much as it is a stall team, it almost has a sense of being a bulky offensive team. Perhaps that's because status moves are absent from this team. This team has only one real weakness and that Pokemon isn't seen commonly. If it ever does see a lot more action, I can easily replace Zapdos with Snorlax to thrive once again. I hope some of you get some creative ideas from this team or get the urge to make your own stall team. Rate My Team!

King Of Hax

I do see a bit of a Mix Luke weak, but what team isn't weak to that.

I also see a Life Orb Starmie weak, but that is so rarely used it shouldn't cause any problems.

Solid though. It's a nice team.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
Advanced Member
Celebi covers MixedLuke. I'll be posting a warstory against AMERICA **** YEAH from Shoddy soon. He used a MixedLuke.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
Advanced Member
HP Ice is an XHKO after Leech Seed, since it doesn't do more than 62%. Dark Pulse is a problem. Suicune can deal with it, though. Even SD Luke won't OHKO after an SD, so I don't see anything doing an incredible amount of damage.

Limitless

Limits, like fears, are just an illusion
=0 Your retiring this team now KG? Anyways, I'm retiring mine now too. I see the metagame switching to bulky now. Which is something that my team is not good with. Maybe we can make a team together now! Lolz. Anyways, Iggybot team's pwn. Nice team. :D

Salice

What's Pokemon?
Hm. I've played this team before (I knew it was you, I just didn't feel like telling you it was me) so you'll get a rate later. The only thing I have to say is, what is an OU stall team without Toxic Spikes :D ?

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
Advanced Member
Yeah, I thought about switching Zapdos for Tentacruel, but then Gengar looks really good against this team. Forretress for Gliscor wouldn't be a good trade off because things like Lucario and Heracross would be better. It's kind of a bulky offensive / stall team, I guess. :p

BreadFat

Steadfast
Wow, this is a really good team. I don't really see any real counters. Other than the MixLuke, I think that a well played MixMence could give you some problems. Between Fire Blast, EQ, HP Ice, and Thunder Fang/DD/Whatever. For the MixLuke, you could switch out psychic on Celebi for Trick Room, only a suggestion though. That way you go first when against it. You could also give Gliscor 216 SpE ev's so he can outrun Adamant Luke/Modest Luke, and EQ them to death before they wreak havoc.

Otherwise, I don't really see any problems with your team. Good job KG. :0

Just my thoughts.

GraysonViolin

2vs2 God
I see a huge CM BLissey weakness. And in General, Blissey being a pain in the "arse" if Suicune isn't alive.

P.S. I love the format ^_^

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I've never seen a RMT from you, KG. :D Anyway, very good stall team, but like you said, just enough offensive power to balance it out. I virtually see no glaring problems, so it looks like this team really covered its bases.

dmaster out.

bacon

!!!!!
I'm still not convinced by sleep-talk on Zapdos. Can't Heatran take that Hypnosis from Gengar?Toxic is a good filler; it's a big problem for CM Bliss, and helps with this teams stalling nature.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
Advanced Member
Raikou is the only true counter to this team. That's auto-gg if I don't have Snorlax. Suicune can stop it, but only if I'm set up first, which in theorymon, you don't expect. MoP Heracross can also be a small problem, which I overlooked in the threat list. However, depending upon the circumstances, its effectiveness can vary.

scampy said:
I'm still not convinced by sleep-talk on Zapdos. Can't Heatran take that Hypnosis from Gengar?Toxic is a good filler; it's a big problem for CM Bliss, and helps with this teams stalling nature.
Hmm, that's definitely worth trying.

Limitless

Limits, like fears, are just an illusion
scampy said:

Zapdos is actually really useful with Hypnosis. I was skeptical at first, but it works great.

AugustRush

shes got it goin on
Only played this team a few times, and i had fairly nice counters to your team (ie: MoP Tar gave you trouble, i use a Raikou team etc.) But the real trouble i see is your Sub/ CM/ Ice Beam/ Surf Suicune weakness. Crocune cant outstall that, since it can't breka the sub, Surf and Ice Beam both OHKO with a crit as well :\

Although those are nitpicks, this is a very well built stall team. I've been getting into stall, thanks to Brawley, who's letting me use his team. Also, i didnt get any credit for suggesting Restalk Tran to you? :[

No MixLuke weak, MixLuke doesnt run Stone Edge, only that gay ipl Luke does, and that can't touch Celebi or Cune

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
Advanced Member
AMERICA's Lucario had Stone Edge. It surprised my Zapdos, but then Celebi was there to wall it.

Yeah, I am basically anything CM weak to be honest. I battled Brawley and he used a Raikou on me. The second that came out, I said, "gg, This team is weak to Raikou." There isn't anything I can do about it. If I substitute something, then I'll lose coverage elsewhere. No team can counter everything, so I guess it isn't too bad.

I'm not sure if Snrlax should permanently replace Zapdos. To be honest, it can handle Mixedmenceafter a Curse, so I don't see that as being terribly weak. I lose Infernape and Deoxys-S coverage, though. Hmm... :/

AugustRush

shes got it goin on
Good thing Raikou isnt used so much any more, the only people i know of are myself, Brawley, husk, fm, and some others

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
Advanced Member
It's much better than people give it credit for. I noticed Raikou usage suddenly dropped when everyone started using the bulky FreakTar. Maybe it will make a comeback now. ^_^