TDK (Thundurus EX / Deoxys EX / Kyurem)

RE: Plasma (Thundurus EX / Deoxys EX / Kyurem)

Daenordus said:
Four Arms said:
I wasn't talking about Rock Tomb, if that's what you're thinking. Extrasensory does a lot of damage to Darkrai with a Bangle, and one shot's it if you have a Deoxys in play.

I kinda like Heatran, but I remember what happened last time someone brought up Heatran, so I'm not even going to try to argue on that one.

But I agree on the Basic Energy thing. Replacing a lot of your Special Energy with Basic Lightning and Water helps a lot against Darkrai/Garbodor and Vir/Gen/Drifblim.

What about Moltres or Moltres EX? Would that be a good tech for VirGen? The latter can abuse colress machine and Thundurus's Raiden Knuckle.

Moltres EX is okay, too. Destructive Flame can be used to great effect to stop your opponent from setting up. Power Flame is too costly, though.

Moltres ND is incompatible in this deck. You can't power it up with Raiden Knuckle or Colress Machine, and it's good attack costs 4 Energy, so it's just a waste.

Four Arms said:
Daenordus said:
What about Moltres or Moltres EX? Would that be a good tech for VirGen? The latter can abuse colress machine and Thundurus's Raiden Knuckle.

Moltres EX is okay, too. Destructive Flame can be used to great effect to stop your opponent from setting up. Power Flame is too costly, though.

Moltres ND is incompatible in this deck. You can't power it up with Raiden Knuckle or Colress Machine, and it's good attack costs 4 Energy, so it's just a waste.
I know Klinklang is not getting played much, but there is a person at my league who runs it. Any idea how to counter it?

Daenordus said:
Four Arms said:

I know Klinklang is not getting played much, but there is a person at my league who runs it. Any idea how to counter it?

Garbodor/Fire attacker is the best counter. maybe Victini EX?

Daenordus said:
Four Arms said:

For Plasma, just play a fast, consistent list that has some basic Energy in it. Kyurem can just take out their Energy before it they can power up something threatening, and with Basic Energy, you should be able to use Blizzard Burn every turn.

Cortel II said:
Daenordus said:

Garbodor/Fire attacker is the best counter. maybe Victini EX?

I can't put Garbodor in my deck because it will take up too much space for the evolution line. I'm saying, are there any good fire type non-ex that don't take up too much space and are plasma pokemon out there that I do not know of?

Daenordus said:
I'm saying, are there any good fire type non-ex that don't take up too much space and are plasma pokemon out there that I do not know of?

No. There are non of those.

Virizion Genesect isn't a bad matchup for Plasma unless they're running a bunch of Drifblim, so there's no need to tech a fire attacker, and if you are worried about the Drifblim, then another Absol is probably your best bet.

I would say that if Virizion/Genesect is running heavy Drifblim, it's a deck specifically designed to beat Plasma. Another Absol would help, but now that TDK isn't clear BDIF, I doubt we'll see too many V/G with lots of Drifblim.

I think TDK is in a weird place right now and because of this it's gonna see less success for a while. The good thing about this is that it'll be seen as less of a threat and there wont be as many techs against it, which is really all it has going for it at this point. Of course, this is just speculation. It's just a matter of time till we know for sure.

How does everyone think the new first turn rules will affect this deck? I think the deck will lose a lot of power because of it. Especially, not being able to use Raiden Knuckle turn 1.

Brave Vesperia said:
How does everyone think the new first turn rules will affect this deck? I think the deck will lose a lot of power because of it. Especially, not being able to use Raiden Knuckle turn 1.

The new rules are definitely not a good thing for plasma. The first turn rule stops the speedy Raiden Knuckles and Frost Spears that make the deck strong when going first. I can see playing this deck and preferring to go second as the alternative.

Brave Vesperia said:

I can definitely see Plasma losing popularity after the rule changes, but it's still a strong deck. I can see Plasma decks going more away from Thundurus and focus more on Kyurem, since you can still get a turn 2 Blizzard Burn and KO an EX. And not many decks can KO a Kyurem on turn 2 without attacking the first turn, so you have some time to set up another one.

I'm actually happy that this deck will be losing popularity. Less popularity:less techs against it. Especially in VirGen lists that run heavy drifblim lines.

Really?

I'm expecting plasma to see a ton of cities play. Not because it's going to be better than everything, but it's going to be the only deck accessable to the public financially. Virgen and Blastoise both use beach and are HELLA expensive, really good, but super expensive. Even though plasma is put at a slight disadvantage I still think it'll see a lot of play. If you don't go first vs. blastoise it's pretty much the same as it was before anyway.

Kyurem is too good to be tier 2 ever haha, even with the t1 attacking ban TDK will still be a strong contender for cities, if not because of the decks strength alone but because of sheer numbers.

Aggressiv said:
Really?

I'm expecting plasma to see a ton of cities play. Not because it's going to be better than everything, but it's going to be the only deck accessable to the public financially. Virgen and Blastoise both use beach and are HELLA expensive, really good, but super expensive. Even though plasma is put at a slight disadvantage I still think it'll see a lot of play. If you don't go first vs. blastoise it's pretty much the same as it was before anyway.

Kyurem is too good to be tier 2 ever haha, even with the t1 attacking ban TDK will still be a strong contender for cities, if not because of the decks strength alone but because of sheer numbers.

The changes are only active in Japan come X&Y's release in November. We won't be seeing this change till the set comes over here in February, so Cities will follow the normal rules.

Also I'm not sure VirGen needs beach to be successful and if you compare the prices to put it together with the prices for plasma (assuming you're buying the tins) it's about the same cost.

As for the rules, these are just slight scuffs to the deck. You can go second and carry on just like you would any other game (or first and set up kyurem, its all preference). Plasma's power will still be there, it's just matter of whether or not the metagame still techs for it.

SynxS1N said:
Aggressiv said:
Really?

The changes are only active in Japan come X&Y's release in November. We won't be seeing this change till the set comes over here in February, so Cities will follow the normal rules.

Also I'm not sure VirGen needs beach to be successful and if you compare the prices to put it together with the prices for plasma (assuming you're buying the tins) it's about the same cost.

As for the rules, these are just slight scuffs to the deck. You can go second and carry on just like you would any other game (or first and set up kyurem, its all preference). Plasma's power will still be there, it's just matter of whether or not the metagame still techs for it.

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/tcg_errata_1013-2013-10-01/
November 8th is when the rule changes take place in english, so the change actually takes place in november, so before cities.

If virgen isn't running beach it has lets outs to a good start. Any deck that isn't attacking turn 1 or has stage 2's should have beach in it. And as for if plasma gets teched for it should still see play. Even with the drifblim line plasma with basic energy is winnable vs. virgen. Maybe a bit of a disadvantage, but still viable. Not to mention plasma can tech against techs (scrapper for mirror, basic energy etc)

Aggressiv said:
SynxS1N said:

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/tcg_errata_1013-2013-10-01/
November 8th is when the rule changes take place in english, so the change actually takes place in november, so before cities.

If virgen isn't running beach it has lets outs to a good start. Any deck that isn't attacking turn 1 or has stage 2's should have beach in it. And as for if plasma gets teched for it should still see play. Even with the drifblim line plasma with basic energy is winnable vs. virgen. Maybe a bit of a disadvantage, but still viable. Not to mention plasma can tech against techs (scrapper for mirror, basic energy etc)

I didnt know, thanks for the info. This really sucks though. Now theyre just throwing us into a boiling pot. Blastoise will dominate cities.

The only good thing about these changes is that Kyurem and Deoxys are safer on the bench.

I'll actually be somewhat surprised if Blastoise has a field day at Regionals, seeing as Garbodor's a lot stronger than it was before the Catcher nerf.

So in my extensive playtesting on PTCGO, 90% of the plasma decks I've faced have all but abandoned Thundurus EX, most of them I see seem to to 3-4 Deoxyes EX, 3-4 Kyurem and 1-2 Keldeo EX with may an Absol or something tech, they also run mostly basic water energy and maybe the 4 prisim. Do you guys think this may be the new way to go for plasma? Cut the Thundurus EX count down to 1 or zero?

Cortel II said:
So in my extensive playtesting on PTCGO, 90% of the plasma decks I've faced have all but abandoned Thundurus EX, most of them I see seem to to 3-4 Deoxyes EX, 3-4 Kyurem and 1-2 Keldeo EX with may an Absol or something tech, they also run mostly basic water energy and maybe the 4 prisim. Do you guys think this may be the new way to go for plasma? Cut the Thundurus EX count down to 1 or zero?

Definitely not. Plasma without Thundurus has always been a thing, but there's a reason it's never over-passed the Thundurus version. The straight Kyurem version is a lot weaker against Hammers, and it can very easily run out of steam. Without Thundurus, you rely too much on Colress Machines, and those will usually stop working before you want them to. Personally, I like 4 Kyurem and 2 Thundurus in my Plasma deck. Kyurem is still an amazing card, and I like to exploit it as much as possible, but Thundurus is still necessary in the deck, in my opinion.

Back