TDK (Thundurus EX / Deoxys EX / Kyurem)

RE: Plasma (Thundurus EX / Deoxys EX with attackers and techs)

After some testing, I love to run Tornadus EX PSF in this. It hads late game consistency, which is something this deck sometimes lacks

DrunkSpinda said:
After some testing, I love to run Tornadus EX PSF in this. It hads late game consistency, which is something this deck sometimes lacks

I wouldn't run more than 1 though.

Yes. As a one-off it's pretty damn good. More than that is absurd

The problem with that card is that 1: There are much better things or techs to put in this deck. And probably most importantly, 2: It takes up valuable bench space for what could have been a deoxys, kyurem, thundurus, lugia, and even snorlax beats this card. (prize exchange wise)

Shaxe said:
Aggressiv said:
OCCASIONALLY you will get that setup. Maybe 1/30 games or something when vsing Klinklang, will your opponent start with nothing but a klink, you'll start with a thundurus, an energy, a way to get 2 deoxys and a laser, or laserbank. Once Klinklang gets setup TDK olmost auto losses, as previously stated Cobalion discards special energy so the fact that the deck can make an impact without Klinklang should mean something, not to mention that if you do get KK setup Kyurem is the only attacker you have (IMO snorlax and absol are bad), and he's weak to steel.

On another note if you run 2 enhanced hammer in your list, darkrai beats TDK 60/40. From what I've playtested, it's not only the hammers that make a difference, but the fact that all of the attackers (with the exception of a tech lugia) are at 170 hp, a bad number when facing darkrai, and a potentially even worse one when staring down an absol.

Edit:
You have to remember than if you get your energy on thundurus hammered off you'll either
a) have no prism/blend left and be stuck using colorless attackers
or b) have to constantly accelerate energy onto thundurus dealing usually 40-50 damage.

Being one that has been on the recieving end of that, enhanced hammers make a difference when paired up with this deck.

I tested Plasmaklang vs Plasmabox quite a bit and I noticed when you don't start with Cobalion EX, you will most likely have a hard time. Even if your Klinks survives T1 donks, if you don't get a Cobalion EX and start discarding by T2, it will get ugly real quick, especially with the slow nature of Plasmaklang decks. Even then, when you manage to setup your Klinklang, it is likely that Kyurem is still able to kill your Klinklang with a catcher because when you start discarding their Thundurus, they can use a turn to attach water/prism on their Kyurem and if you can't disrupt your opponent that turn, he can accelerate with colress machine and turn the tide. To be honest, I feel that the lockdown from Klinklang isn't as powerful against this deck compared to other EX due to Kyurem.

I tried teching 2 enhanced hammers into a Darkrai deck and found it to be quite effective in discarding energies and disrupting the flow but ultimately you lose simply because as mentioned, there's no way to heal those annoying Thundurus attacks.

I think something that you're missing is that TDK doesn't always have perfect starts. You can start deoxys and thats usually rough, especially when there's early pressure. Darkrai vs. TDK is about a 50/50 matchup Imo, I used to think it was in darkrai's favor but the early hits with TDK is troublesome, however darkrai's ability to enhanced hammer off energy *cough* energy removal *cough*, makes the matchup even and it usually comes down to who can draw better and who has a better start. As to Klinklang, it's just as I said before, if you're able to put out early pressure that's good, but you won't always have a kyurem charged up that can one-shot a klinklang. With an optimum start yes you will beat Klinklang as it is a slow starting deck, but TDK will lose to KK like 65% of the time. Unless you have a lot of non-ex techs (which you probably shouldn't) it will be an uphill battle.

Aggressiv said:
I think something that you're missing is that TDK doesn't always have perfect starts. You can start deoxys and thats usually rough, especially when there's early pressure. Darkrai vs. TDK is about a 50/50 matchup Imo, I used to think it was in darkrai's favor but the early hits with TDK is troublesome, however darkrai's ability to enhanced hammer off energy *cough* energy removal *cough*, makes the matchup even and it usually comes down to who can draw better and who has a better start.

Exactly why I run Bicycle.

I got my account working again!!!!

This is my current list, I like to focus on attacking with Lugia every turn 2 if my opponent leads of with an ex, just to put pressure on them:

Pokemon
4 deoxys ex
2 thundurus ex (only got 2)
2 kyurems
2 Lugia ex
1 snorlax
1 Tornadus ex

Trainers
2 virbank
1 frozen city (or what the name is)
4 lasers
3 plasma ball
4 catchers
3 switch
1 scramble switch
2 colress
4 colress machine
4 juniper
3 n
2 Bianca

Energies
4 dce
4 blend wlfm
3 prism
4 plasma

I pick switch over keldeo because of the chance of getting them ( getting 1 card is way easier then 2), the chance of having 1 prized, if I play float stone then tool scrapper can ruin everything, and because of the small amount of bench space.

Baby_BI said:
I got my account working again!!!!

This is my current list, I like to focus on attacking with Lugia every turn 2 if my opponent leads of with an ex, just to put pressure on them:

Pokemon
4 deoxys ex
2 kyurems
2 Lugia ex
1 snorlax
1 Tornadus ex

Trainers
2 virbank
4 lasers
3 plasma ball
4 catchers
3 switch
1 scramble switch
2 colress
4 colress machine
4 juniper
3 n
2 Bianca

Energies
4 dce
4 blend wlfm
3 prism
4 plasma

I pick switch over keldeo because of the chance of getting them ( getting 1 card is way easier then 2), the chance of having 1 prized, if I play float stone then tool scrapper can ruin everything, and because of the small amount of bench space.

A few comments:

1) Too much energy. You don't need 15 energy in this deck, you just end up drawing a hand full of energy and not much else. I'd run 13 max. Depending if you are going for a more donk style or a more consistent style, I would cut 2 Blend/2 DCE respectively. If you are trying to get out one of your colorless attackers quickly to just obliterate your enemy, you should go for Shadow Triads to re-use Colress Machine; if you are trying to play more standard and consistent you want less DCE's because Kyurems and Thundurus don't really appreciate too much colorless energy.

2) You use too many techs in your deck and not enough of your core Pokemon.
---Snorlax requires 5 energy to attack; in this current format energy denial is big with enhanced hammers and Cobalion EX's everywhere and you won't ever charge up your Snorlax. I don't recommend using it in this meta.
---If you are trying to use Tornadus to apply huge damage, you should opt for a more Tornadus-focused support line with Shadow Triads and such. It can devastate your opponent if you pull it off but I don't like the inconsistency. The 1 Tornadus is viable on its own, but as I said in this meta, high energy cost attackers don't do much. You would more be looking at using Tornadus for Windfall, which can help in getting out of sticky situations. It is however weak to Lightning and is an EX, so it doesn't fare well against the mirror. Thundurus on the opposing side could hit you 120 while you spent a turn doing no damage. It also has a problem with retreat cost; after it's done using Windfall getting it out of active spot requires resources that you might not want to spend.
---You don't need 2 Lugia. It's hard to charge them up, they lose 1 Plasma energy at least per attack (more if hammered), and you should not expect to be able to get more than 2 hits off a Lugia. And good luck charging up another one when you have your Plasma energy and Colress machine already in your discard pile. It's viable to have 1 in your deck as a comeback tech but I would not go for more than 1. (Frankly, I often just discard it instead of placing it down when I use Juniper.)
---Too few Kyurem. You need at the minimum 3 non-EX Pokemon to even stand a chance against Plasmaklang, and your Snorlax will never get enough energy because Cobalion discards your special energy for 1 energy and 30 damage. Some people like to add Absol here, as it can hit hard in the mirror match and other matches where the opponent requires a lot of benched Pokemon. I don't like it due to its low HP and incompatibility with Blend WLFM. Kyurem also hits 120 for 3 energy, which is the most efficient attacker you can have in Plasma.
---2 Thundurus EX can be fine. I generally find Thundurus weak for attacking; 4 for 90 isn't too good, considering that 4 for 120 is only just about acceptable if you can take 1 extra prize when you kill...Raiden Knuckle is good but it only does 30 damage, and you want better attackers as you get more energy onto your board. 3 is better just for starting with it, but I don't think you will go through 3 Thundurus in a game.

3) Your trainer line is a bit off.
---If you play the Switch version, you still need Float Stones. Kyurem can't attack after using its 120 attack, so you need to switch it out. Float Stone will help you get it back to active spot (by switching to a Pokemon with Float Stone). It also allows you to have Pokemon that you can push to active when your old active dies for free retreat. It also helps you get out of sticky early game situations without wasting a Switch that might be better used for getting out of sleep/poison. Also, with the catcher/laser heavy format nowadays you need more than 4 cards to get you out of trouble. Adding 2 Float Stones would go a long way.
---Do reconsider playing Keldeo. Although it doesn't save you deck space (I play Keldeo, 1 Switch, 1 Scramble Switch, 3 Float Stone because of Garbodors and Keldeo dying), it saves you having to dig out a Switch every time you use Kyurem's 120 attack. The bench space concern is real though, and you have to be more careful putting down Pokemon. The Keldeo version can run ok without actually placing the Keldeo on the bench too, so I see the merits of playing Switch over Keldeo. Just a thought.
---You need 4 Team Plasma ball. You want to get the Deoxys and your attackers out as quickly as possible and anything less means you become less consistent.
---4 Colress Machine is overkill if you are playing the standard Plasmabox. You have 4 Plasma energy in your deck. You often draw into Plasma energy manually. You won't be able to use Colress Machine 4 times and besides, with the Kyurem focus I suggest, Plasma energy isn't all too great to spam. 3 will do nicely.
---4 Catchers vs 3 Catchers is a stylistic thing, I don't use 4 because I don't have enough space. Run it if you find the space.
---You have 1 supporters and no Random Receiver. That is slightly too few. You want at the very least 12 supporters + Random Receivers to run the deck. I personally run 13. I recommend 2 Skyla for grabbing the crucial trainer you need in clutch moments. Also, I would not run Bianca when you don't use Ultra Ball. Cheren generally draws more in this deck as you aren't discarding your hand to get things done.
---Consider Max Potion. One of those can save your game and avoid the kill that would let your opponent win.
---Tool Scrapper. With everyone using Tools, you want to throw a wrench (that's what it is I guess) in your opponent's works. Particularly useful against Garbodor decks and against Dark Claws/Float Stones. It's ok if you really don't have the space but I would really squeeze it in.
---
List after recommended changes

Pokemon (11)
4 deoxys ex
3 kyurems
1 Lugia ex
1 Tornadus ex

Trainers (36)
2 virbank
4 lasers
4 Plasma ball
4 Catchers
3 Switch
2 Float Stone
1 Scramble switch
2 Colress
3 Colress Machine
4 Juniper
2 N
2 Cheren
2 Skyla

Energies (13)
1 dce
4 blend wlfm
4 prism
4 plasma

4th Catcher and the 1 DCE are optional, feel free to switch them over for Tool Scrapper or Max Potion.

I could cut 1 catcher.

Attacking with Lugia turn 2 seems easy for me, so having 2 is amazing since I won't lose more then 1 plasma energy each time I attack. I only use it when I can Ko something, after that I just retreat, thunder knuckle for 50 or higher in normal scenarios, attach the energy I retreat with back to my lugia, and the following turn I attack with it again if I have the small number of cards I need to pull it off 2 times in a row. It works well for me so I will keep the 2 Lugia. I know the energy line is high but I kinda need it when I want to pull this off, cutting a blend might be a good idea. Thunduros is my ideal starter which is the reason why I want to add a third, not because I will need 3, but because I want to start with it.
Tornadus will be used for its first attack primarily, I don't plan on attacking with it unless I absolutely have to.
Snorlax can hit so hard and grab 2-4 prizes against anything in 2 turns. It will be used if needed, and it is "easy" to set up to, since I got scramble switch.

I'd rather run 1 Tornadus EX Plasma and a Lugia EX than 2 Lugias

Well, I use both :p

There is an inherent problem with trying to attack with Lugia turn 2. Suppose it goes well and you take 3 prizes on turn 2. You now have all your resources on your Lugia. What then when they kill it? You now have nothing but Thundurus to recharge energy. Lugia loses energy every attack. You just don't have the staying power for the intense early resources you just spent.
If you get lucky and they can't kill your Lugia, of course you look like a hero and you win, but you could say the same for any t2 kill on an EX that they can't retaliate.

How is my list?

Pokemon (12)
4X Deoxys EX
3X Thunderus EX
2X Kyurem EX
1X Lugia EX
1X Snorlax
1X Keldeo EX

Trainers (34)

4X Juniper
4X N
4X Catcher
3X Skyla
2X Colress
3X Colress Machine
3X Ultra Ball
2X Plasma Ball
2X Float Stone
4X Hypnotoxic Lasers
2X Virbank City Gym
1X Scramble Switch

Energy (14)
4X Blend WLMF
4X Prism
4X Plasma
2X DCE

I was originally running 3 Kyurems, but I really struggled against PKK so I decided to cut 1 and put in a Snorlax.

Just fought a guy who modified the typical Plasma scheme: He uses Deoxys EX, but with Mewtwo EX, Sigilyph DRX, and Tornadus EX DEX and 4 (I would typically think) Plasma Badges. He beat me, too. How about that!

Fatality said:
How is my list?

Pokemon (12)
4X Deoxys EX
3X Thunderus EX
2X Kyurem EX
1X Lugia EX
1X Snorlax
1X Keldeo EX

Trainers (34)

4X Juniper
4X N
4X Catcher
3X Skyla
2X Colress
3X Colress Machine
3X Ultra Ball
2X Plasma Ball
2X Float Stone
4X Hypnotoxic Lasers
2X Virbank City Gym
1X Scramble Switch

Energy (14)
4X Blend WLMF
4X Prism
4X Plasma
2X DCE

I was originally running 3 Kyurems, but I really struggled against PKK so I decided to cut 1 and put in a Snorlax.

Snorlax doesn't beat Klinklank at all. A good Klinklank player will use Cobalion EX to discard your energy on Snorlax way before it gets to 5 energy.

Fatality said:
How is my list?

Pokemon (12)
4X Deoxys EX
3X Thunderus EX
2X Kyurem EX
1X Lugia EX
1X Snorlax
1X Keldeo EX

Trainers (34)

4X Juniper
4X N
4X Catcher
3X Skyla
2X Colress
3X Colress Machine
3X Ultra Ball
2X Plasma Ball
2X Float Stone
4X Hypnotoxic Lasers
2X Virbank City Gym
1X Scramble Switch

Energy (14)
4X Blend WLMF
4X Prism
4X Plasma
2X DCE

Add 2 Switches. You may drop 1 Ultra Ball and 1 Blend energy.

DrunkSpinda said:
The more I test this deck the less I like it :c

I feel the same way. Im very bored of the deck, but Ill still play it.

This Deck should run some Basic Energy so that it isn't purely pulverized by Cobalion EX/ Enhanced Hammer.

Meh, the Thundurus engine is just too good. Enhanced Hammer doesn't kill it, 60-100 per turn cycling the energies doesn't help your opponent at all.

Back