TCGWars: Pokemon TCG Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

axpendix

Creator of TCG ONE
Hello everyone, I'm a pokemon trading card game fan and I have decided to make a electronic version of this great game.
I have examined other tcg simulators (Redshark and apprentice) and I have concluded that the community needs a game that can implement the rules of the game and the actions of the cards, like the tcg games that have been released to gameboy by nintendo. Some properties of my program at the moment is:
  • Ability to implement the rules of the game, no need for any external intervention to imply the ruling. (All effects of cards, powers, bodies, trainers, energies and all rules)
  • Showing the real card images rather than card texts.
  • Easy to use interface
  • Written in Java language, swing package.
  • Game types: two player on the same computer (or solo).
  • Deck builder
Future versions of the program will consist of:
  • Two player with network communication game type.
  • Implementation on a web site(hopefully by a help of a fan site) allowing the players to connect to the server, see the available player list and declare a challenge then play. By other means, an online pokemon tcg game, based on this project.
  • And any other feature you people will suggest! Even the name of the project is changeable!
At the moment, I have started the implementation with the base set cards. I will then move on to (respectively) jungle, fossil, expedition, skyridge, aquapolis, team rocket, neo series(4) sets. After these, before I begin the ex series, I will consider making this game online. Please do not ask me why I'm planning to do like that, I think the old sets are promising more strategic play rather than the new series. Because every move of every card must be implemented correctly, the process takes longer, but more promising.
This is an one-man-project at the moment. I havent thought about splitting the work with some programmer-fans like me. Sharing the source code is a big thing for me, and I am a bit skeptical about this issue. Things can change, though.

Here are some screenshots.
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4821/94511902.png
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5199/60360312.png
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/8629/61482284.png
Here is the demo video:
http://tcgwars.6te.net/tcgdemo1.htm
Here is the first thread of this project: (please read before asking questions; many of your questions may already be answered there)
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105018

I need your comments but please think this game with base set cards at the moment. So no comments like "there is no stadium card place".

08.10.2009 Update: The project is going on, but recenly I have been lazy because of summer holiday. Now I have done some changes on the implementation, and developed a new module that is used to add card entries to the program. So, I need some people (2-3 will be enough I think) to enter the card information to the system using the special module I developed. Proper documentation and information will be provided for this job. So I need voluntary people who is careful and smart. The workload will be very little since entering a card takes approximately 1 minutes. These people could also help me to organize the card image files for me, taking part in other little jobs. First task is to enter the base set cards.
Here's what card adding screen looks like:
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5955/clipimage002ve.jpg

afstandopleren

Balanced member of balancing acts.
Trying it out here now eh? ^_^ Don't blame you, some of the mods on Pokegym are weird.

I love this project if you can finish it with up to date carddex. Thing is, you have competition here on Pokebeach: Redshark

SMP

Aspiring Trainer
This looks like a lot of fun, hopefully you can get Base Set done soon so we can all try it out.

Lou Cypher

The melody of your defeat
You know, it might be a better bet to get all the Diamond and on sets implemented first. This because there is generally a larger public for DP and later.

Otherwise though, this is looking really good, nice start.

.::n00bmuffin::.

I want to change my username.
Looks nice. As Lou Cypher suggested, no one really cares about the old sets, so I HIGHLY suggest you focus on the newer DP-on.

axpendix

Creator of TCG ONE
The programming side of the work enforces me to focus on the basics instead of complicated dp-on actions (powers, bodies etc). So it has to be this way. However, once the base set is complete, I'm sure implementing the sets are gonna cost less time to implement one by one.

I think Redshark is a good program, but the community needs a program that can fully automate the functions of the game. That's why I'm doing this.

And, as soon as base set is done, an alpha version will be published.

Ka$h Money

Aspiring Trainer
Well out of curiosity do you know how long each set will take to create? I am liking this new program, IMO better than RS as I like actually seeing the card :p

Zyflair

Yes, sir. Of course, sir.
Advanced Member
Interesting... I don't know if you realize, but you'll need to create a call function, instead of simply having a single coin decide the person that goes first.

mai_kingdra

Aspiring Trainer
axpendix,

As the creator of redshark, I just wanted to chime in and say that I applaud your effort and initiative, and wish you luck on your project. If someone creates a better program than redshark, then that's good for the pokemon tcg community, and I'm all for it.

I know that programming a game whereby the mechanics and some rules can change every few months is a very big challenge for any software developer ... and as someone with a finite amount of free time, that's why I chose to architect redshark as it is.

Again, best of luck on the program, and don't be afraid to contact me if you'd like my opinion, experience, or insight on any aspect of redshark - I'd be happy to share it with you.

AmishEskimoNinja

Hating durant since 11/16/11
mai_kingdra said:
I know that programming a game whereby the mechanics and some rules can change every few months is a very big challenge for any software developer ... and as someone with a finite amount of free time, that's why I chose to architect redshark as it is.

That was pretty much what I was thinking.

Fax

Honestly, I have no clue what to say...
This is looking fantastic! I think it will be a very fun game to play.

minipika12

Banner by Soul Seeker. Click it now!
I noticed no trainers and no retreating in the demo. :p

By the way, can you see your deck? If you click on the Deck button does it open?
And what does the "Test Button" in the bottom right corner do?

I could do the playmat if you could put it behind the card slots. I'll need the size it needs to be in pixels.

The Reaver

Speed Mode
Well, I'm assuming you wouldn't be allowed to look through your deck unless a card allowed you to, since this IS a structured program and not open framework like Redshark.

I know this is a bit of a stretch, but... when you implement online play, would allowing spectators be a possibility?

LDawg

Aspiring Trainer
Very nice! I've been looking forward for something like this for a long time. I played some RedShark with my friend, but it just feel like you're playing Pokemon.

Let us know if you need help adding the cards in the game. It's probably something we all can do right? (excluding special cards with unique poke powers or attacks)

Good luck on making the perfect Pokemon Simulator :D

axpendix

Creator of TCG ONE
minipika12 said:
I noticed no trainers and no retreating in the demo. :p

By the way, can you see your deck? If you click on the Deck button does it open?
And what does the "Test Button" in the bottom right corner do?

I could do the playmat if you could put it behind the card slots. I'll need the size it needs to be in pixels.

Yeah there is no trainers at the moment but the groundwork is ready for the trainers so dont worry :)
And retreating is already done but hasnt included in the video.
Test button is for testing programming related things by me.
If you click on deck button it does not do anything if you dont have the permission to see the deck at the moment.
The playmat has no significance at the moment (because the play area might change -like adding stadium card place-) i will contact you when a playmat will be needed. Thanks.

The Reaver said:
Well, I'm assuming you wouldn't be allowed to look through your deck unless a card allowed you to, since this IS a structured program and not open framework like Redshark.

I know this is a bit of a stretch, but... when you implement online play, would allowing spectators be a possibility?

Yes when online play is implemented, allowing spectators would be no problem i think.

LDawg said:
Very nice! I've been looking forward for something like this for a long time. I played some RedShark with my friend, but it just feel like you're playing Pokemon.

Let us know if you need help adding the cards in the game. It's probably something we all can do right? (excluding special cards with unique poke powers or attacks)

Good luck on making the perfect Pokemon Simulator :D

Yes anyone with a great carefulness can add the cards in the game. Every card is entered through an object creation, which is a long line each. (Every property of the card, every move, every effect is entered, and special cards are no exception:)). I will soon need some people to do this work for me, please watch the topic, I will post the information soon.

And, Thanks to everyone who supports me in this long run :)

deogenerate

レッツwwwケ­゙ッw­­­­­w(乂՞ټ՞)✧スクラッチンwww
Yeah, another TCG BATTLE simulator is just fine and dandy, but when are we gonna see a TCG PACK OPENING simulator, hmm?

Anyway, I think this is actually a good idea, because I don't like staring at little colored boxes with text all over them, I like looking at the actual cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.