TCG: Your Wants Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilderness

Aspiring Trainer
SPOILERS EXPECTED!

So no doubt Megalo Cannon was the last fresh B&W card series, with the next set containing many remakes of cards, so it's about time to get excited for the X&Y card series.

What do you expect or want to happen?

Obviously we'll have all 3 starter evolution lines, but I think they should have 2 different cards for each final evolution. Chespin's final would have a grass type card and a dark type card, Fennekin would have fire and psychic, Froakie would have water and fighting type, totaling the starters to be 12 cards as opposed to 9.

I also think we could possibly see Fairy type out as a card type. The last time we had new types introduced in a game (and the only time for that matter) was in Gold and Silver, where we had dark and steel type; both getting new types of cards. This would be beneficial for Sylveon and any secondary typed Pokemon like Jigglypuff, and maybe adding that fairy type as a weakness to the dragon cards.

Whilst on the topic of dragon cards, who thinks we'll be getting dragon basic energy cards any time soon? I don't think so but it would be nice, as we have blend energy acting as those.

I also hope we have both new Mewtwo forms as holo's; I don't expect, nor hope to have any EX cards in the first set release, or even first 2 or 3. In fact, EX might not return at all in that respect, as they might have a new special superior type of card on the way. Who knows?

I hope this topic is allowed as I think it's stupid discussion.

RE: X&Y Card Series: Your Predictions and Wants

Because they brought back EXs why not bring back lv.Xs?

Keep Full Arts. Those were awesome.

I don't want fairy as a type in the tcg, just make it normal.

I'd expect to finally see a Dragon type energy.

Dragon is fine as it is, as long as there is Blend Energy. No need for Dragon Energy. The energy costs are a special thing about Dragon, just like the interesting self-weakness.

I hope there are no more basic EX. Either Stage EX (& with nerfed basic EX) like before or Lv. X or something new, but with STAGES! I think this season / format was good (yep), but it's time for a change.

I really have a feeling nothing will really change. FA and EX's will still exist, sure, obviously new cards and (hopefully) new holo patterns, but the ultra rares will stay the same...

I certainly would love a new holo pattern. The striped holo pattern is such a whore and I can't wait to see it gone. I do have a feeling EX won't be sticking around. Hopefully full art cards will, however.

I'd like more duel typing....This would give some types more depth.
Either with dark, steel or something new....

This is a personal want but I also want "Delta species" type cards with more random types, Due to the fact we have some ways of accelerating energy but without decent enough attackers and I think this would shape things up. Another mechanic I want back as mentioned before is some sort of replacement for EX's....This would be tough for tcpi to pull off because if they aren't worth playing then they wont get played but they shouldn't be overpowered. I think a focus on disruption or locks would be good, this wouldn't be focussed on damage but on winning because your opponent can't do anything.

Despite what I just put,
I'm going in to it interested and I am looking forward to it.

Well for starters, stop making too many really good Basic Pokemon with 170+ HP and make more really good Stage 1 and Stage 2 Pokemon that are good enough to win in tournaments like in Diamond/Pearl-On or in Majestic Dawn-On. Change the 1st turn rules back to the way they were before Black/White-On, un-errata Rare Candy (I doubt they will though), extend the time limit on matches in events, allow Supporters to stay on the table until end of turn to count for your Supporter for turn, and bring back League Promos more specifically Pokemon Catcher as one of the promos including Tropical Beach instead of being a Worlds Invite exclusive. The Unova Badge Case was fine but aside from that P!P could've done better IMO.

Likewise with Dark, Steel, and Dragon I also see Fairy-Type being in the X&Y series over Normal Type. Like with Dragon Type they could just not give Fairy Type it's own set of energies like they did with Dragon Type in Dragons Exalted this format cause it helps with energy consistency If you're running other types of Pokemon as well too. I'd also like to see less Unova region Pokemon in the X&Y series given how bad alot of the designs were that turned alot of my friends away from the game and more Kalos region Pokemon along with more Pokemon from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh. I remember digging through my Pokemon cards one time and wondering what the heck Game Freak was thinking when they thought a Pokemon based on a ice cream cone was a good idea when it was so uninspired and lazy which sums up two thirds of the Unova region Pokemon designs in Gen V.

I'd also like to see more strategies around using Pokemon Abilities on your bench similiar to Claydol from Great Encounters or Sceptile from the same set as well. If there's one gimmick I'm tired of TPCi doing with the TCG it's making decks based around highly powered Basics, they first did this back in MD-On with the Platinum sets with LuxChomp and they did it again in the Black/White sets in Plasma Freeze with TDK Plasma Toolbox. This needs to stop, it's unhealthy for the TCG and it seems like TPCi has this mindset that the Pokemon TCG needs to be more of a fast-paced oriented game instead of a slow-paced one like in MTG. Infact that's really the key difference between how Japan and America make TCG/CCG's, Japan for some reason loves fast paced TCG's while America loves slow paced TCG's.

ii defy said:
I'd like more duel typing....This would give some types more depth.
Either with dark, steel or something new....

As much as I'd love for TPCi and P!P to do that, I'm concerned that it might hurt the overall "rock-paper-scissors" balance of the TCG itself. There's some things that work well in the video games of Pokemon compared to the TCG of Pokemon and in most cases If it ain't broke don't fix it (well sort of).

No more new basic energy types. No basic dragon energy. No basic fairy energy. I hear the arguments that they did Darkness and Metal so many years ago, therefore they can do Fairy now.

You are basically saying that it makes no difference when you eat fatty foods for the first time, and eat fatty foods for the hundredth time. That's basically what you are saying. 8 is already enough energy types, and brand new ways must be done to do the fairy type. There is no need to change dragon into the 9th of the same thing.

When they do do a fairy type, it mustn't work like colorless type, the 8 types that use their own basic energy, and the multi cost dragon type. It has to be completely brand new way of powering attacks, and brand new gameplay strategy. So far, I haven't heard, from anyone, of any brand new gameplay strategy that is in a completely different branch compared to the 8 types that use their own energy.

When did I ever say on this thread that I wanted a Basic Energy Type for Dragons and Fairies for X&Y? and what's with the fast food analogy regarding this? What are you getting at signofzeta?

He wasn't replying to you. I said I expected to see Dragon type energy. It just seems weird that they'd add a new type but never make an energy card for it, but I guess that could be the plan.

This might sound weird or overpowered but...
Entry Hazards.
I know there was a dugdrio that did damage when you switched out but there should be some sort of attack or ability that does damage when a pokemon comes into the active spot....

Want: Gray borders and Japanese pull rates

I'm not getting my hopes up.

Furn said:

Why? I'm surprised you don't you like the "adventure" of opening a box and getting nothing...:rolleyes:

I personally am sick of legendary pokemon. Can we please get EX or LV X cards that aren't Legendary...I miss Dragonite EX, Blaziken EX, Scyther EX...Legendaries can go home - except Celebi :D

As I don't play competitively, my only want is for a return to the holo pattern used for the first four generations. Additionally, I'd like it to be as vibrant as it was in the first few gens...I've seen some holos in the HGSS block and they were really faint.

Card Slinger J said:
I'd also like to see less Unova region Pokemon in the X&Y series given how bad alot of the designs were that turned alot of my friends away from the game and more Kalos region Pokemon along with more Pokemon from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh. I remember digging through my Pokemon cards one time and wondering what the heck Game Freak was thinking when they thought a Pokemon based on a ice cream cone was a good idea when it was so uninspired and lazy which sums up two thirds of the Unova region Pokemon designs in Gen V.
You should be safe, since the focus will apparently be on newly-released Pokémon native to Kalos, judging from previous patterns. However, Pokémon designs (assuming you are referring to them instead of card designs) remain a matter of subjectivity. While the monsters the fifth generation brought us may have disappointed you and your friends, the majority of the fanbase ultimately accepted most of them as worthy additions to the franchise. Also, a creature based on ice cream in a franchise primarily targeting children doesn't neccessarily imply a lack of creativity. It can be even considered one of the more creative additions of generation V since there were no ice cream Pokémon before (unless you count the unofficial ice cream insect). Finally, there were always designs that could be considered questionable, even in the very first generation, ranging from living smoke-bombs, eggs, magnets, Pokéballs and boxers with gloves possibly made of flesh to more recent designs such as metal bells and crabs imbued with psychic ability or even catchable deities with command over time and space. If you want to continue the discussion, please send me a private message or comment at my profile, since this is going to exceed the boundaries of this topic.

Wilderness said:
I do have a feeling EX won't be sticking around. Hopefully full art cards will, however.
I have to disagree. While full art cards add another shade of collectibility to the game, they and their shining rare (made-up term, hopefully descriptive enough) counterparts are effectively redundant in the game. Personally, i would support new types of ultra rares with actually new effects instead of unnecessary expensive versions of already existing cards in the format.

Furn said:

Actually, i am secretly rhapsodizing about a possible repetition of the ultra rare utopia that was the original american release of EX:Ruby & Sapphire, but i am sincerely doubting it, as well as japanese pull rates.

signofzeta said:
You are basically saying that it makes no difference when you eat fatty foods for the first time, and eat fatty foods for the hundredth time. That's basically what you are saying. 8 is already enough energy types, and brand new ways must be done to do the fairy type. There is no need to change dragon into the 9th of the same thing.
Your analogy is hyperbolic. Since the card game draws inspiration from the video games and is meant to resemble the concept of Pokémon battles, as long as the games add new changing twists, it will still continue, be it through incorporating more characters or additional energy types. Although you may argue with me on how balanced a TCG has to be to be attractive enough for new players, i think that simplified 11 types out of original 18 are balanced enough. However, i personally want the new fairy type to be incorporated into the normal spectrum to take dragon's place.

Renoir said:
signofzeta said:
Your analogy is hyperbolic. Since the card game draws inspiration from the game and is meant to resemble the concept of Pokémon battles, as long as the games add new changing twists, it will still continue, be it through incorporating more characters or additional energy types. Although you may argue with me on how balanced a TCG has to be to be attractive enough for new players, i think that simplified 11 types out of original 18 are balanced enough. However, i personally want the new fairy type to be incorporated into the normal spectrum to take dragon's place.

I will give you a better analogy. Saying that adding fairy type to the TCG is the same as adding dark and metal energy to the tcg is like saying that you get the same portion of pie when you divide it up between 8 people and 9 people.

Well you have to think about it.

The more types there are, the less cards of type there are. The video games are different. There is no such thing as pull rates, so it doesn't matter if there are 100 types in the video game, but it matters a lot in the TCG.

In a way, every type in the TCG and video games are exactly the same when it interacts with other types, like how rock beating scissors is the same as paper beating rock. The attack is either super effective, not effective, or just normal. The difference is that there are some underlying differences. Fire tends to burn, electric moves tend to paralyze, but other than that, every move is just numbers and multipliers. I'd rather see a new type bring in something brand new, gameplay wise, to the TCG, than to add a new type in for no reason, only to lessen the amount of cards per set of the remaining types.

I have yet to hear from anyone about a new gameplay element for the TCG that is not categorized into the other 8 types that use their own energy, to justify adding a new type.

I'd also like to see a free for all mode for both VG and TCG, with an elimination type of gameplay, where every player plays at the same time, and not just a bunch of 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 matches. It could mean revamping the prize system.

I'd like to see a reprint of Tropical Beach and some evolved EX's with over 200HP. Also, it might be good if they could undo Rare Candy's nerf.

I really, really hope they keep Full Arts in some way, shape, or form. Such beautiful cards makes collecting fun.

Renoir said:
I have to disagree. While full art cards add another shade of collectibility to the game, they and their shining rare (made-up term, hopefully descriptive enough) counterparts are effectively redundant in the game. Personally, i would support new types of ultra rares with actually new effects instead of unnecessary expensive versions of already existing cards in the format.

The problem with this is that if you make ultra rare or secret rare cards the most powerful, suddenly the game because that more expensive to play. Remember how expensive Mewtwo EX was at some point? Imagine if it was the Full Art version that was needed to play; how much more expensive would it be to have a good deck?

One of the things I like about the FAs (aside from the fact that they are gorgeous and awesome) and Shinies is that they give fun, collectible cards for the collectors (and also those who want to spend extra money to make their decks fancy) while not increasing the costs necessary to be competitive. I hope that Pokémon TCG won't make any cards more rare than the BW EXes or HGSS Primes unique in a competitive game way, at least not without releasing them as tin promos or similar.

Some other things I would like to see:

1) More of a focus on evolved Pokémon than Basics. Give us tools to make evolved Pokémon more playable and don't make the super-powerful gimmick (whatever it will be) just basics.
2) I would love to see "new" trainer cards made up like the old TM system; I never got to play in that time, and I think, if such a thing was done well, it could introduce a whole other level of fun and strategy for the game.
3) A change of holo patterns, and a big +<3+ to those who brought it up earlier in this thread, too. I would love to see a return to some of the older holo styles, or at the very least something else entirely different, and to make the holos more vibrant and visible. The horizontal line pattern never grew on me throughout all of BW, though I do admit that I like the Japanese version of the holo better; it's brighter and the border holo adds a nice kick to it.

signofzeta said:
Renoir said:
Your analogy is hyperbolic. Since the card game draws inspiration from the video game s and is meant to resemble the concept of Pokémon battles, as long as the games add new changing twists, it will still continue, be it through incorporating more characters or additional energy types. Although you may argue with me on how balanced a TCG has to be to be attractive enough for new players, i think that simplified 11 types out of original 18 are balanced enough. However, i personally want the new fairy type to be incorporated into the normal spectrum to take dragon's place.

I will give you a better analogy. Saying that adding fairy type to the TCG is the same as adding dark and metal energy to the tcg is like saying that you get the same portion of pie when you divide it up between 8 people and 9 people.

Well you have to think about it.

The more types there are, the less cards of type there are. The video games are different. There is no such thing as pull rates, so it doesn't matter if there are 100 types in the video game, but it matters a lot in the TCG.

In a way, every type in the TCG and video games are exactly the same when it interacts with other types, like how rock beating scissors is the same as paper beating rock. The attack is either super effective, not effective, or just normal. The difference is that there are some underlying differences. Fire tends to burn, electric moves tend to paralyze, but other than that, every move is just numbers and multipliers. I'd rather see a new type bring in something brand new, gameplay wise, to the TCG, than to add a new type in for no reason, only to lessen the amount of cards per set of the remaining types.

I have yet to hear from anyone about a new gameplay element for the TCG that is not categorized into the other 8 types that use their own energy, to justify adding a new type.
The analogy is still inaccurate, i never stated that adding the fairy type would be exactly the same as adding darkness and metal, i even mentioned it as addition.
I am just assuming that if the dragon type was separated from the normal spectrum into an independent type, and the video games introduce a completely new type, that this type might receive a separate representation in the TCG.

Artemis said:
The problem with this is that if you make ultra rare or secret rare cards the most powerful, suddenly the game because that more expensive to play. Remember how expensive Mewtwo EX was at some point? Imagine if it was the Full Art version that was needed to play; how much more expensive would it be to have a good deck?
The full art version surely sold for higher prices, but the more popular a card with a full art version becomes, the more the value of this variant drops in comparison to it's rarity. Assuming your hypothetical scenario was true, due to current card distribution in America (and all countries which adopt the western distribution pattern), it would be probably only slightly more expensive, if even. Furthermore, even if you mention the shining Rayquaza desaster, as i like to call it, i'd like to remind that this card held a higher rarity rank and still didn't exceed the initial price for Mewtwo-EX. Remember the LEGEND-era as well.

And taking a look back at the TCG history, no shining rares rose to be the dominating forces in past formats, the initial shining Pokémon had ridiculous energy requirements and mostly balanced effects - the same is true for their successors, the crystal type Pokémon. Their equivalents during the ex-era, the Pokémon * were limited to one copy per deck, like ACE SPEC cards are today. And even if some representatives of this kind saw opportunities in competitive play, such as Mew* and Jolteon*, they were limited through the rule associated with them. However, i have to acknowledge, since i did not learn about deck archetypes of previous formats, there may be a gap in my argumentation, although i am highly certain that shining rares ever were unusually dominant.

My main problem is just the effective redundancy of full art cards, i would prefer new card types instead of just more rare gimmick inserts. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion, entirely subjective.

Artemis said:
1) More of a focus on evolved Pokémon than Basics. Give us tools to make evolved Pokémon more playable and don't make the super-powerful gimmick (whatever it will be) just basics.
2) I would love to see "new" trainer cards made up like the old TM system; I never got to play in that time, and I think, if such a thing was done well, it could introduce a whole other level of fun and strategy for the game.
3) A change of holo patterns, and a big +<3+ to those who brought it up earlier in this thread, too. I would love to see a return to some of the older holo styles, or at the very least something else entirely different, and to make the holos more vibrant and visible. The horizontal line pattern never grew on me throughout all of BW, though I do admit that I like the Japanese version of the holo better; it's brighter and the border holo adds a nice kick to it.
I agree with you for those points, but also would like a further HP- and damage output balance, which probably won't occur due to the progressive nature of the game and the rotation still incorporating older expansions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back