TCG Complaint Thread

Bo$$_89

Two Posts a Day Kept the Trolls Away
ExcaliDrose said:
Salamencetrainer34 said:
So... for second paragraph, its 100% OK to scam children? That they don't know better so we should mantipulate their minds? Is that the entire point? Disgusting...

But what exactly are they being scammed out of? Holos? Why is that important for them to get one?

Ultra Rares. I hate weighers, all they do is mess with our packs that we pay to get crap in

ExcaliDrose

Aspiring Trainer
Salamencetrainer34 said:
Why is it important for us non weighers to pull a ultra rare? Because its random and its fun to find! The kids may not know about it, but it doesn't excuse your selfishness.

And nobody cares that its "random and fun to find". What planet are you living on lol? That could be easily be called selfish that you want packs to be a certain way for your own randomness.

We could go all day about right and wrong but its really just perspective. Realistically at the end of the day, if TPCi didnt want scalers it should do the following to its packs:

1) Make rares that arent bad and can be valuable
2) Make short print commons and uncommons
3) Change the entire system of foiling to be like MTG's rarity system (which is unlikely since kids games love foils)
4) Make more tournament level cards not holo
5) Make sets like how they were with Jungle and Fossil with Non Holo and Holo versions of cards

Sad reality is that Pokemon Collectors (again no offense) have a huge desire for foils and TPCi knows this so they make the best cards foil. If it was like MTG to where the best cards arent holo, then scaling wouldnt exist.

evilpacman

Voltorb Collector
ExcaliDrose said:
Salamencetrainer34 said:
So... for second paragraph, its 100% OK to scam children? That they don't know better so we should mantipulate their minds? Is that the entire point? Disgusting...

But what exactly are they being scammed out of? Holos? Why is that important for them to get one?

I know some young kids (8-9) That like to collect the cards. I also know a few that like to play competitively. Both collectors and players do not want to open packs and get poop. They probably dont know what scaling is because they are young, but that doesnt mean they wouldnt be pissed about it.

Also, TPCi should think about putting in counterweight cards or something to fix this problem.

ExcaliDrose

Aspiring Trainer
Salamencetrainer34 said:
ExcaliDrose said:
And nobody cares that its "random and fun to find". What planet are you living on lol? That could be easily be called selfish that you want packs to be a certain way for your own randomness.

We could go all day about right and wrong but its really just perspective. Realistically at the end of the day, if TPCi didnt want scalers it should do the following to its packs:

1) Make rares that arent bad and can be valuable
2) Make short print commons and uncommon
3) Make 24 count boxes (36 sounds like a total rip off considering the odds)
4) Change the entire system of foiling to be like MTG's rarity system (which is unlikely since kids games love foils)

Sad reality is that Pokemon Collectors feel the need that foils must be in the game and TPCi knows this. If it was like MTG to where foiling was an optional thing, then scaling wouldnt exist at all.

I am sure I speak for everyone here. Please leave these forums and don't come back.

No you dont. Your living in a close minded world where you only see one things from one point of view. Please go back to covering your ears and saying whatever you feel like saying since this is the last time Im going to respond probably to you and this thread since its talking in circles.

evilpacman said:
ExcaliDrose said:

I know some young kids (8-9) That like to collect the cards. I also know a few that like to play competitively. Both collectors and players do not want to open packs and get poop. They probably dont know what scaling is because they are young, but that doesnt mean they wouldnt be pissed about it.

Also, TPCi should think about putting in counterweight cards or something to fix this problem.

But with the way packs are currently structured, scaling or not scaling, you end up with the potential chance of getting junk. I could buy a box for 90 dollars and end up with holos barely worth anything, a card being a holo is almost still irrelevant. If packs had better cards overall, even opening up weighed packs wouldnt be a big deal.

The thing is, you cant even scale at hobby stores, and even some of the owners scale themselves (and you wouldnt know unless you knew them extremely well), so where do you actually scale at? Walmart? Why are you wasting money buying packs at walmart? There 4 dollars a pack, which is way more than if you bought a box that was unscaled. If your looking for certain cards its always better to buy them individually or from an online retailer.

Salamencetrainer34

I am out of smash codes.
ExcaliDrose said:
Salamencetrainer34 said:
Why is it important for us non weighers to pull a ultra rare? Because its random and its fun to find! The kids may not know about it, but it doesn't excuse your selfishness.

A certain way? Actually, that 'certain way' is the way its supposed to be. Random and fun. You can't expect to legitimately pull a FA juniper and a shiny terrakion in a lot all the time(Random examples). If you did, sweet! You're really lucky! If you just cheated to get them, that makes it less fun and takes that lucky feeling away from everyone

ExcaliDrose

Aspiring Trainer
Salamencetrainer34 said:
ExcaliDrose said:

A certain way? Actually, that 'certain way' is the way its supposed to be. Random and fun. You can't expect to legitimately pull a FA juniper and a shiny terrakion in a lot all the time(Random examples). If you did, sweet! You're really lucky! If you just cheated to get them, that makes it less fun and takes that lucky feeling away from everyone

I wasnt going to respond but I just find this laughable. Be a certain way? According to who? To the company thats making millions off an artificial created world? Where we supposed to HAVE to buy Pokemon cards to fulfill our daily needs in life?

A lot of things in this world are supposed to be a certain way but thats just not life. Pokemon is not life.

evilpacman

Voltorb Collector
ExcaliDrose said:
But with the way packs are currently structured, scaling or not scaling, you end up with the potential chance of getting junk. I could buy a box for 90 dollars and end up with holos barely worth anything, a card being a holo is almost still irrelevant. If packs had better cards overall, even opening up weighed packs wouldnt be a big deal.

The thing is, you cant even scale at hobby stores, and even some of the owners scale themselves (and you wouldnt know unless you knew them extremely well), so where do you actually scale at? Walmart? Why are you wasting money buying packs at walmart? There 4 dollars a pack, which is way more than if you bought a box that was unscaled. If your looking for certain cards its always better to buy them individually or from an online retailer.
It is true that you might end up getting poop in your packs. That is always the risk of buying packs. However, if you are almost always guaranteed poop packs because the scalers come and take all the good ones as soon as they are stocked, then you dont even have a chance to get any good cards. If there is a risk of busting on a pack, there should at least be a chance for a good turnout. Scalers prevent that from happening which isnt really fair to those who dont scale or dont have the means to scale.
Also, if were talking about kids, sometimes they dont have the option to buy online. They may only get to go to Walmart or Kmart to get their packs if thats where the parents take them.

Salamencetrainer34

I am out of smash codes.
ExcaliDrose said:
Salamencetrainer34 said:

I wasnt going to respond but I just find this laughable. Be a certain way? According to who? To the company thats making millions off an artificial created world? Where we supposed to HAVE to buy Pokemon cards to fulfill our daily needs in life?

A lot of things in this world are supposed to be a certain way but thats just not life. Pokemon is not life.

Its a certain way to you. Jesus.

ExcaliDrose

Aspiring Trainer
evilpacman said:
ExcaliDrose said:

It is true that you might end up getting poop in your packs. That is always the risk of buying packs. However, if you are almost always guaranteed poop packs because the scalers come and take all the good ones as soon as they are stocked, then you dont even have a chance to get any good cards. If there is a risk of busting on a pack, there should at least be a chance for a good turnout. Scalers prevent that from happening which isnt really fair to those who dont scale or dont have the means to scale.
Also, if were talking about kids, sometimes they dont have the option to buy online. They may only get to go to Walmart or Kmart to get their packs if thats where the parents take them.

Well if you kept getting junk in packs, why would you keep buying? The average player is most likely to buy 3-5 packs, in the Pokemon World, thats not even guaranteed a holo card a majority of the time. Scaling or no scaling, its not a good idea to buy packs in general. Even just think about it, you drop 40 on 10 packs, pull 2 EX's worth 5-15 dollars, your still losing out. Most of the time by buying packs your basically overpaying for your cards.

If kids go to a card store, they sell singles there. The internet is everywhere now a days, its not hard for kids to buy their cards online. If there parents want to save money and actually care about the cards they get, then they will figure out how to do it. In most TCGs its a bad investment in general to buy packs consistently since you almost never get what you need nor even break even value wise. What people dont realize is that most TCG companys know this and they take advantage of it. They structure their packs a certain way to drive profits. Its funny most people call the scallers "scammers" yet these TCG companys are making millions off these games that people take more serious than life at times. In a way people give TCG companys power over them, similar to how people blow millions of dollars on all the other sources of entertainment in our society that has no real value.

Regardless if the packs are weighed or not, if you actually think about the price of things, then you realize that packs are never a good idea for the most part. If your reckless and just like to throw money around trying to find the cards you need for the "thrill" of getting a good card, whos fault is that?

evilpacman

Voltorb Collector
ExcaliDrose said:
evilpacman said:

Well if you kept getting junk in packs, why would you keep buying? The average player is most likely to buy 3-5 packs, in the Pokemon World, thats not even guaranteed a holo card a majority of the time. Scaling or no scaling, its not a good idea to buy packs in general. Even just think about it, you drop 40 on 10 packs, pull 2 EX's worth 5-15 dollars, your still losing out. Most of the time by buying packs your basically overpaying for your cards.

If kids go to a card store, they sell singles there. In most TCGs its a bad invest to buy packs consistently. Especially with the internet so widespread, many dealers break open cases enough to where its cheap to get what you need at a low price.

Well for one, I dont have a place to buy singles anywhere near where I live. And second, just because buying packs can be a waste of money, doesnt justify the actions of scalers who ensure that buying packs by the general public IS a waste of money. Its greedy and these people are knowingly screwing other people off. That is the main point here. Whether or not it should be done is another issue because scaling packs is legal as far as I know.

Edit: It looks like you added more so I'll try to address that too. I understand that you can use the internet, but my parents dont like to buy from the internet so as a kid, that would be out of the question. That might be the same for many parents. Also, despite the obvious loss that is possible with buying packs, some people actually like to buy packs. I find it fun to buy packs. Why should I be punished for buying them once and a while.

As far as TCPi maximizing profits.... well thats because they are the company that distributes the packs. They obviously need to maximize their profits in order to continue producing cards for us consumers to buy. Now, the recent methods and excuses they are using to maximize their profits and the lack of quality control is another issue...But as it was implied, the difference between the manufacuters trying to maximize the profits vs the secondary market trying to do so is that the former gives us something in return while the latter takes away.

ExcaliDrose

Aspiring Trainer
evilpacman said:
ExcaliDrose said:

If kids go to a card store, they sell singles there. In most TCGs its a bad invest to buy packs consistently. Especially with the internet so widespread, many dealers break open cases enough to where its cheap to get what you need at a low price.

Well for one, I dont have a place to buy singles anywhere near where I live. And second, just because buying packs can be a waste of money, doesnt justify the actions of scalers who ensure that buying packs by the general public IS a waste of money. Its greedy and these people are knowingly screwing other people off. That is the main point here. Whether or not it should be done is another issue because scaling packs is legal as far as I know.

Edit: It looks like you added more so I'll try to address that too. I understand that you can use the internet, but my parents dont like to buy from the internet so as a kid, that would be out of the question. That might be the same for many parents. Also, despite the obvious loss that is possible with buying packs, some people actually like to buy packs. I find it fun to buy packs. Why should I be punished for buying them once and a while.

As far as TCPi maximizing profits.... well thats because they are the company that distributes the packs. They obviously need to maximize their profits in order to continue producing cards for us consumers to buy. Now, the recent methods and excuses they are using to maximize their profits and the lack of quality control is another issue...But as it was implied, the difference between the manufacuters trying to maximize the profits vs the secondary market trying to do so is that the former gives us something in return while the latter takes away.

Ok, so basically scallers make you wake up and realize that buying packs is a waste of money and that the internet exists?

Im not trying to rude here but some people need to learn to use the internet to get what they want. Everything in general is cheaper on the internet. More businesses are going online since theres no rent to pay and your dealing with millions of people. Plus things come straight to your door, no need to use gas or energ

Again, its not scallers fault that people go out and recklessly waste money on cards. The scallers are just trying to get the better cards in the easiest way possible and the way Pokemons pack system is set up, it favors them. You can easily call it "greedy", but people wanting the packs to be random so they can have some cheap thrill of opening a pack is also greedy. Especially if there going to give a TCG company more money and overpay for the cards more than the secondary market offers.

Also nothing is stopping you from buying packs. Not all packs on this planet are scaled.

Salamencetrainer34 said:
ExcaliDrose said:

If kids go to a card store, they sell singles there. The internet is everywhere now a days, its not hard for kids to buy their cards online. If there parents want to save money and actually care about the cards they get, then they will figure out how to do it. In most TCGs its a bad investment in general to buy packs consistently since you almost never get what you need nor even break even value wise. What people dont realize is that most TCG companys know this and they take advantage of it. They structure their packs a certain way to drive profits. Its funny most people call the scallers "scammers" yet these TCG companys are making millions off these games that people take more serious than life at times. In a way people give TCG companys power over them, similar to how people blow millions of dollars on all the other sources of entertainment in our society that has no real value.

Regardless if the packs are weighed or not, if you actually think about the price of things, then you realize that packs are never a good idea for the most part. If your reckless and just like to throw money around trying to find the cards you need for the "thrill" of getting a good card, whos fault is that?

Thats the last straw. Good bye pokebeach. I have given up. I will check often and wait until this selfish weighing bastard gets banned.

Good, nobody will miss your blind rage hate towards scallers or your inability to have a mature conversation about something you dislike.

BTW I never said I scaled. Im just aware of the reality of it. I dont live in a pretend world where I think everything is always going to be right and be the way I want things to be.

Daelum

Climbing the stairs to the top
ExcaliDrose, I was going to reply to all of your comments, but I eventually stopped reading them because it is just nonsense. I think I have your personality and viewpoints summed up:
You are an opportunist who will do whatever it takes to get ahead in life. You realize not everything in life is fair, so you play the system to make sure you come out as ahead of the proverbial game as possible.

Pretty much, from what I've seen, you should just stop playing Pokemon. I mean, it's all made up, right? Buying pieces of cardboard for emotional satisfaction is just a waste of money, right? It's like spending $100 for a day at Disneyland - you gain nothing buy emotional satisfaction from it. Pokemon is just making buckets of money off of mankind's need to feel good. So why waste money on Pokemon at all? You're always gonna lose. The system is rigged, and not in your favor.

Salamencetrainer34

I am out of smash codes.
Maybe I overreacted, but what Daelum said is true. And may I ask you to edit that post? You know, the bashing part? I am deleting my post now.

ExcaliDrose

Aspiring Trainer
Daelum said:
ExcaliDrose, I was going to reply to all of your comments, but I eventually stopped reading them because it is just nonsense. I think I have your personality and viewpoints summed up:
You are an opportunist who will do whatever it takes to get ahead in life. You realize not everything in life is fair, so you play the system to make sure you come out as ahead of the proverbial game as possible.

Pretty much, from what I've seen, you should just stop playing Pokemon. I mean, it's all made up, right? Buying pieces of cardboard for emotional satisfaction is just a waste of money, right? It's like spending $100 for a day at Disneyland - you gain nothing buy emotional satisfaction from it. Pokemon is just making buckets of money off of mankind's need to feel good. So why waste money on Pokemon at all? You're always gonna lose. The system is rigged, and not in your favor.

You assume I currently play the game. I currently dont since I am not satisfied with the current state of the meta.

The Disneyland example is exactly what Im trying to get at. I know Disneyland doesnt cost 100 dollars go there If I was to go to Disneyland I would find the best price possible to go there. Why waste money that I dont have to?

Theres a difference between buying something you like wisely verses randomly throwing money at it. Its called being an informed consumer.

Salamencetrainer34

I am out of smash codes.
ExcaliDrose said:
Daelum said:

The Disneyland example is exactly what Im trying to get at. I know Disneyland doesnt cost 100 dollars go there If I was to go to Disneyland I would find the best price possible to go there. Why waste money that I dont have to?
Definitely an opportunist

evilpacman

Voltorb Collector
@ Excalidrose - Just because you might be comfortable with buying on the internet doesnt mean everyone is. You cant just use that to justify scaling packs. I honestly dont see how you think its greedy that people want their packs random and not scaled to screw them over. Scaling packs benefits no one but the scalers - that is greedy. Wanting random packs benefits no one at all - that means its fair to everyone. The people that prefer the packs to be random aren't asking for them to be random for everyone else but them.

And I want to repeat this one more time before its inevitably brought back up again. Just because someone doesnt want to use the internet, doesnt mean they should be screwed over when buying packs in real life.

Daelum

Climbing the stairs to the top
ExcaliDrose said:

Theres a difference between buying something you like wisely verses randomly throwing money at it. Its called being an informed consumer.

It is very hard to find a discount to Disneyland if you are just looking for a 1 day ticket. Yeah, you can go to Costco and buy a cheaper ticket, but it is still between $80 and $100. I know that's irrelevant to our argument, but I just wanted to let you know.

Honestly, I don't even want to comment on your opinion on weighing packs. Actually, I will, because it needs to be said. Weighing packs is unfair for everyone but the person doing the weighing. Before I begin, I just want to say that buying booster packs is almost always a waste of money - it always has been, and it always will be; the odds are too unbalanced to make a $4 pack worth the money a majority of the time. Yes, you can go buy 1 pack and get an expensive card, but that rarely happens. Okay, moving on, weighing packs is unfair - let's use an example. I buy a Plasma Freeze booster box. I weigh all 36 packs. I keep the heaviest packs for myself, open them, and pull all the URs from the box. I then go and sell the unopened packs to someone who does not know I weighed them - whether it is online or in person does not matter. The buyer generally believes that they have some chance of pulling a UR, or at least a holo. Of course, they know the risks of opening packs, but they are willing to take the risk. Now, since I weighed the packs, the risk involved in opening packs drastically changes. No longer is there a possibility of them getting a UR or a holo. The odds have disappeared. Do you see why this is unfair? If you do not inform the buyer that the packs are weighed, you are cheating them out of the fairness of having that random chance.

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Jenkem said:
More consistent judging.

At Oklahoma states, my opponent didnt set out prizes, and played a few hands before we realized. called a judge, and i didnt even get to draw a prize penalty.

At Arkansas states, I played a game where i forgot to set out prize cards. Its realized after my first hand, and my opponent draws a free prize. I then win the game, and go outside to smoke, where my opponent finds me and says the judge is looking for me. The judge says that when I played skyla my first turn for a laser that I broke the game state and had lost. I was PISSED at this as he overturned his previous ruling with more malice ruling. especially since the week before my opponent did the same thing and i didnt even get a prize card.

At Kansas states, I top cut, and in my 2nd game, time is called, with me having lost the first one. I have no idea of the rule that says I have to draw more than 50% of my prizes in game 2 to force game 3. (I have only been playing since jan.) Apparently, the judge had no idea either. He looked me right in my eyes and said "This is turn 0, at the end of turn 3, whoever has drawn the most prizes wins. My opponent is playing KK with zero energy on the field, so i pass. As soon as i do, my opponent says, "Thats not right" calls over the head judge, and we are informed of the correct ruling. Once again I was PISSED, as I now have no chance to win, bc the judge told me the wrong rules.

I really think that they need a big sheet of laminated paper with all the rules on it at every sanctioned event. That way, things like my fiasco at kansas could have been avoided.

There is Rules and Resources all judges ( and I'm fairly certain players ) have access to. http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/play-pokemon-tournaments/rules/

In regards to not putting out prizes and the penalty it gets, it matters exactly when it was caught and what cards were used. Being that States is a Tier 2 event and the fact that multiple turns had passed in the OK States, it should have been at minimum a Prize Penalty, but I'd more than likely give a Multi-Prize Penalty or Game Loss depending on what Supporters and other cards were used. I'll quote something from the Penalty Guidelines that is significant.

Examples of Game-Play Error: Major include:
 Playing more than one Energy card in a turn without the use of an effect that allows you to.
 Shuffling your deck mid-game without the use of a card effect.
 Insufficiently randomizing your deck.
 Failing to place Prize cards at the beginning of the game*
 Drawing a Prize card without Knocking Out a Pokémon.
 Drawing too many Prize cards after Knocking Out a Pokémon.
 Forgetting to place damage counters on a Pokémon from a mandatory effect, such as Poisoned.
 Using a Poké-Power when a card prevents its use.
Recommended Starting Penalty:
Tier 1: Warning
Tier 2: Prize Card
*If the Head Judge determines that the offending player gained significant advantage due to this error, the starting penalty should be escalated one step. If the Head Judge determines that game state is irreparably broken, this penalty should be escalated to Game Play Error: Severe.

For Arkansas States, the judge was correct that Game State was broken, however, after the penalty was issued and the game was finished and reported, the judge should not have changed their ruling. Once a ruling and penalty is given, if the player does not appeal the decision, it is final.

The rule about 50% or more prize cards being taken is in the TCG Rules & Formats Document. It starts on around page 11.

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
I know of places where it is more likely that you won't find scaled packs.

Go to a local game store that sells Pokemon cards, but the community at that store doesn't play Pokemon cards. I could say the same for every single TCG out there.

Bo$$_89

Two Posts a Day Kept the Trolls Away
Still, think of the little kid going to Wal Mart. He plays the Pokemon games, trades cards with his friends, and has no idea that there is actually a competitive way to play Pokemon. His mom lets him buy packs once a week for allowance, and they're always crap. Now he can't trade with his friends because the cards seem crappier than his friends, and he doesn't have the joy of opening a FA EX for example. You know how happy that makes a kid feel? His day would be set and now he can show off to his friends. Scaling doesn't just hurt the kids though, it also hurts he people that just buy packs for fun, and don't buy singles. Buying packs can be a much easier way to obtain cards, since most meta cards are upwards of thirty now.