TCG Complaint Thread

evilpacman

Voltorb Collector
I think most of us agree that we liked the old ex style RH cards better than what we have now. Those of us that prefer 1st edition would rather have that than the RH's. So it would be just 1st Ed and Regular. 3 versions of each set would be far too much XD

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
I prefer current Reverses to old Reverses and 1st Editions. Note I'm not a collector (well, I collect Ice cards, but I don't consider 1st Editions amongst them), and much prefer the look of the newer ones (with a few exceptions, mainly Colorless Pokemon, and Trainers often looked better with the EX-era reverse), and since they're more unique than 1st Eds or EX Reverses, I feel they're more... "Worth it". EX reverses were basically just holos (unless you mean the ones with the patterned foil, which are just uglier holos IMO), and the 1st edition symbol is an eyesore. I also feel it would be pretty pointless at this point. Look at Yu-Gi-Oh!, they've had 1st edition cards from the start, and still do. With few exceptions, whether a card's 1st edition or not has no bearing on their value at all anymore, unless they're very old. Pokemon would likely end up similar.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
I absolutely detested the Generation III-style reverses. The original ones were just ugly with the entire background having an obnoxious rainbow light refraction effect, and the later ones that were basically alternate holos were so easy to scratch/curl/confuse with regular holos, and I didn't like the type symbol holo pattern. DP-BW was okay but pretty boring. EP-on is easily the best style for visuals and lack of physical problems, IMO.

PokePhD

PokéBeach Verified Seller
evilpacman said:
SoulWind said:
Absence of 1st ED English cards and QA is definitely something that could do with some reconsideration.

If they did 1st ED cards again, I think they should drop the RH's. That would be a nightmare for collectors lol

I'd personally be fine with it either way but you do have a solid point.

The HS in Japan had both 1st ED and RH variants (even for the Primes).

Daelum

Climbing the stairs to the top
I think the RH patterns from ex FireRed & LeafGreen and ex Team Rocket Returns are my favorite.

The energy symbol pattern just looks so great.

428px-TaurosEXFireRedLeafGreen16.jpg

PS - This is my new favorite card. It's hilarious.

PokePhD

PokéBeach Verified Seller
evilpacman said:
RH variants for the Primes?

Yep. I wouldn't mind every JPN set being like that as they are typically smaller.

Daelum said:
I think the RH patterns from ex FireRed & LeafGreen and ex Team Rocket Returns are my favorite.

Daelum you did a fine job making me wish I kept my EX series cards. :p

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
SoulWind said:
evilpacman said:
RH variants for the Primes?

Yep. I wouldn't mind every JPN set being like that as they are typically smaller.

They have been getting bigger.
http://pokebeach.com/2013/05/first-card-images-of-ex-battle-boost

evilpacman

Voltorb Collector
SoulWind said:

Thats news to me.... So for example,Mew Prime would have a 1st edition and unlimited regular variant plus a 1st edition and unlimited RH variant? What do the RH Primes even look like? Do they lack a holofoil for the picture?

ashtavakra

Overlord
Daelum said:

The energy symbol pattern just looks so great.

428px-TaurosEXFireRedLeafGreen16.jpg

PS - This is my new favorite card. It's hilarious.

That is a beautiful card overall.
The artwork IMO is really good (I am a fan of the more "realistic" looking artwork.
Along with the subject of the reverse holo in that generation.
Boy, was that a fun generation? Team Rocket Returns, FireRed & LeafGreen, Aqua & Magma, Dragons. That was a beautiful time in the Pokemon TCG.

ExcaliDrose

Aspiring Trainer
LOL complaints over foiling. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion but who really cares? It doesnt really affect anything.

I have 2 main complaints about the tcg at the moment. I have a few more but these are the main two that I wanted to bring up.

1) Set quality
A main reason I dont want to play this game at the moment is how bad our sets are made. Yeah EX Pokemon has made power creep and made the game a bit stagnant, but it wouldnt be so bad if the sets had SO MUCH filler. Like at least 90% of EVERY SINGLE SET is nothing but filler. You could buy like 10 packs and get maybe 1-2 good cards.

Plus I hate how most of the EX pokemon are bad and are still at high rarities. Why cant Heatran or Celebi been rares and not ultra rares?

2) Not enough variety of Pokemon being played

Another thing that turns me off to this game right now is how decks only run 3-4 different types of Pokemon at best. In the video games you use 6. I guess again this goes back to set quality but who else thinks its weird that your only really using so little unique Pokemon in a deck?

Daelum

ExcaliDrose said:
LOL complaints over foiling. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion but who really cares? It doesnt really affect anything.

I have 2 main complaints about the tcg at the moment. I have a few more but these are the main two that I wanted to bring up.

1) Set quality
A main reason I dont want to play this game at the moment is how bad our sets are made. Yeah EX Pokemon has made power creep and made the game a bit stagnant, but it wouldnt be so bad if the sets had SO MUCH filler. Like at least 90% of EVERY SINGLE SET is nothing but filler. You could buy like 10 packs and get maybe 1-2 good cards.

Plus I hate how most of the EX pokemon are bad and are still at high rarities. Why cant Heatran or Celebi been rares and not ultra rares?

Another thing that turns me off to this game right now is how decks only run 3-4 different types of Pokemon at best. In the video games you use 6. I guess again this goes back to set quality but who else thinks its weird that your only really using so little unique Pokemon in a deck?

You are complaining with an extreme players bias.

A lot of people who collect the cards care about how they look. That's like half of collecting.

As for your first complaint, if there were no filler cards, every pack would just have EX's, Catchers, and Energies. That would make it way to easy for everyone to get all the chase cards. They can't just put the good cards in packs - otherwise there would be no challenge in getting the good cards. Fillers are there to make the set a set, not just a deck.

EX cards are not all about the playability. Pokemon cares just as much about the design of a card as they do how good it is. Yeah, they make sure to include good meta game cards in each set, which is something they should do, but they also take time to appease those who don't play, but collect.

You have to look at the cards from multiple perspectives.

ExcaliDrose

Aspiring Trainer
Daelum said:
ExcaliDrose said:

1) Set quality

You are complaining with an extreme players bias.

A lot of people who collect the cards care about how they look. That's like half of collecting.

As for your first complaint, if there were no filler cards, every pack would just have EX's, Catchers, and Energies. That would make it way to easy for everyone to get all the chase cards. They can't just put the good cards in packs - otherwise there would be no challenge in getting the good cards. Fillers are there to make the set a set, not just a deck.

EX cards are not all about the playability. Pokemon cares just as much about the design of a card as they do how good it is. Yeah, they make sure to include good meta game cards in each set, which is something they should do, but they also take time to appease those who don't play, but collect.

You have to look at the cards from multiple perspectives.

There is no reason to have filler period. Its senseless. Every card should be at least close to being useful or at least useful at a later period. Making sets with only 5-10 good cards is just laziness. I hate it since it makes the game so stagnant and too dependent on chase cards to define a meta. Its almost like now a days the creators just tell you how to build a deck since they make such little desirable cards in general.

Dont get me wrong, I collect too, but you can collect useful cards as much as bad cards. And honestly I doubt TPCi seriously cares about how their sets are made since they sell regardless. You would collect anything with a Pokemon label on it, its irrelevant to collectors what the cards actually do.

ashtavakra

Overlord
"I think there should be a multitude of different formats in the card game.
They should bring back partner battling, 30 card formats, 40 card formats (not just prereleases), bring back COMPETITIVE drafting,
palace formats, alternate & unlimited formats, including formats from the tcg's history.
The game is getting dry, the skilled players don't even participate in prereleases anymore.

Everything in pokemon should be sanctioned and a way to earn points to earn trips, up the point's to get worlds invites do whatever they need to do
to bring more aspects of competitive play back into the card game to attract more players for a wider market. I know of 10 people off the top of my head that aren't currently active in the game today but would be if there were alternate formats and/or more ways to compete. "

A post I made in another thread, what you guys think about alternate formats?

ExcaliDrose

Aspiring Trainer
ashtavakra said:
"I think there should be a multitude of different formats in the card game.
They should bring back partner battling, 30 card formats, 40 card formats (not just prereleases), bring back COMPETITIVE drafting,
palace formats, alternate & unlimited formats, including formats from the tcg's history.
The game is getting dry, the skilled players don't even participate in prereleases anymore.

Everything in pokemon should be sanctioned and a way to earn points to earn trips, up the point's to get worlds invites do whatever they need to do
to bring more aspects of competitive play back into the card game to attract more players for a wider market. I know of 10 people off the top of my head that aren't currently active in the game today but would be if there were alternate formats and/or more ways to compete. "

A post I made in another thread, what you guys think about alternate formats?

Alternative formats are hard with this game. Especially with unlimited, too many cards that do the same exact thing exist. I wouldnt mind something like the 150 format except with less rule changes (like still having a 60 card deck) or some sort of restriction/ban list thats really thorough. It would take a lot of work to make it happen. Its possible but as long as Pokemon is still the #2 selling game with its current conditions, there wont be any major overhaults anytime soon.

The prereleases are really bad with this game too. As much as I dislike YGO, there prereleases were good since you can buy as much as the pack as you wanted and you would play for a box instead of a lowsey 6 packs. Also not being able to purchase the set on hand makes it pointless since in a 36 pack box, its easy to get bad cards due to the odds being all over the place.

I really like to play this game again but not the way it is now. XY needs to really step things up. If not I'll just continue to play Kaijudo in the mean time. I dont even like playing TCGs that much anymore but Ive had a lot of down time in my life at the moment and most of them seem very flawed in general as logic games. I get that there trying to make a buck but at the same time theres just some really obvious stuff that just seems insulting to anyone whos not stupid.

TheTPCProductionz

Aspiring Trainer
To be fair, I collect for the reason that the Pokémon card game has changed too much. I still collect, but not very much from the new sets. I actually like the new RH cards I think they look nice. I don't collect as much as I used to, maybe because I don't have the money to get older stuff and I am not too keen on the newer stuff.

Daelum

ExcaliDrose, you sound like you really don't like Pokemon at all. Maybe you should just stick to Kaijudo. Your resentment towards TPCi as a whole is quite high, and quite frankly, I feel people with primarily negative feelings towards the game shouldn't participate anymore.

bagoly14

Collecting is expensive -_-
I've got a solution to all the problems in this thread.

Collect Japanese Cards. 'Nuff said ;)

Muddy68

Democrat to the End
Advanced Member
I'm just annoyed how everyone immediately knows what cards are good when a set comes out. If it's an EX it's playable and if the Trainer looks decent or is harder to pull (i.e. Ghetsis and Laser) then it's playable. Remember when it was harder to actually judge what was going to be a good deck, or when there were actually a number of good uncommon cards (i.e. Ambipom G and Garchomp C)?