TCG Bi-Weekly Survey #1: Heatmor

Zorua

Zedd
Advanced Member

TCG Survey​
Topic 1: Heatmor​

Welcome to a new series that we'll be holding on PB, the Bi-Weekly Survey!

The Bi-Weekly Surveys are meant to generate discussion about the topic stated, while gathering information on how PB TCG Players feel about certain topics. I plan on gathering all of the information we've received in the threads after a period of time and making a post analyzing that data to better understand what PB TCG Players have to say about specific discussions. Therefore, it's important that as many players as possible participate. For the time being, I am only planning on conducting this for the TCG, but may poll the VG Players of PB at a later time.

In each Bi-Weekly Survey, there will be a discussion prompt for everyone to start off with. They'll all be questions, and providing an answer to that question with your opinion and then expressing why you think that way is the goal of this series.

This week's survey question is as follows:

With the soon approaching release of Dark Explorers, how do you think Heatmor will influence Durant's playability? Is it just over-hyped and not many people will bother teching it unless they live in an area loaded with Durant? Or will Durant lose playability even if Heatmor doesn't see as much play as expected, just due to the threat of it and the assumption that everyone will be using it as a Durant Counter?

Update: Heatmor has now been confirmed to be in Dark Explorers

19-heatmor.jpg

PokePhD

PokéBeach Verified Seller
RE: TCG Bi-Weelky Survey #1: Heatmor

I think the presence of Heatmor is enough to stop Durant in its tracks for several reasons:
1) Durant vs. Heatmor is an extremely one-sided match.
2) Nobody wants to play a deck with an autoloss; these decks have a hard time making Top Cut.

I don't expect Heatmor to be incredibly popular, so we may still see Durant. However, I don't expect Durant to be Tier 1 ever again.

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member

I don't expect it to shift Durant's popularity much because there are already multiple cards that can OHKO it such as Reshiram, Zekrom, and Magnezone Prime. As for Heatmor itself, I don't think it will be that popular in areas that don't have a ton of Durant in their meta.

Blui

lv85 paladin

Heatmor will only be techd in decks with a serious Durant problem, but only if they have space. Without space Heatmor is useless, say they start with Cobalion and are displeased with their start, you play Heatmor only to find out it's CaKE/CoKE, and it's a free prize. Besides Durant is losing play because of Zekeels.

Glace

Top 8, Worlds 2013
Advanced Member

Blui129 said:
Heatmor will only be techd in decks with a serious Durant problem, but only if they have space. Without space Heatmor is useless, say they start with Cobalion and are displeased with their start, you play Heatmor only to find out it's CaKE/CoKE, and it's a free prize. Besides Durant is losing play because of Zekeels.

Nobody (except VY) plays Electrode variants anymore, and good Durants don't use Cobalion.

I plan to use Heatmor in all my decks. One card tech for an autowin? Yes please.

Dork Void

#OCCUPYALLTHINGS

Personally, I don't think it will be very widely used. However, Durant has already been declining in use (or at least it seems to be for me) and after Heatmor all of its advantageous matchups turn into heavily disadvantageous. This will kill of Durant for a while, and while it may spark a rebirth once people find Heatmor useless (since there won't be any more Durant) it then won't be long until the rotation, which kills Durant for sure.

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special

What about giving Durant its own tech to kill Heatmor? Lapras maybe?

{W} Lapras HP 100
{W} Call for Family
Search your deck for 2 Basic Pokémon and put them onto your Bench. Shuffle your deck afterward.

{C} {C} Reckless Charge
This Pokémon does 20 damage to itself.

This can also be used to start the game, letting you fill your bench with Durant (After Rotation we lose Collector :( ) Then cant be OHKOd by Heatmor and can 2HKO a Heatmor your opponet has. Or with a Plus Power can OHKO.

I think anyone running Durant is someone who likes a challenge, and will have to test defferent techs to get around the Heatmor blockade.
I dont think people will run a Heatmor in their decks (I will though) because Durant isnt the biggest threat anymore, Mewtwo is.

Celebi23

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member

While I plan on using Heatmor in almost every deck I make, it's not enough to stop Durant. 95% of the good Durant players use Mewtwo or at least Cobalion. Mewtwo hits Heatmor for 60, which is an OHKO after a Durant hits it for 30. Even if it's 2HKOing, Heatmor isn't exactly threatening to Mewtwo. People won't want to use more than two Heatmor in their decks, most staying in the 0-1 range. A good Durant deck will be able to easily take out one Heatmor, and often two. All it really does is slow the deck's milling down, but that is often good enough to net the win.

Puff-Sun

Gogoats

I will definitely put one in my deck, because i've played durant and it was horrible.
Also, seeing as durant is pretty much dead anyway, I wouldn't predict TOO much play of this card, but some at least.

Dork Void

#OCCUPYALLTHINGS

olimar1023 said:
What about giving Durant its own tech to kill Heatmor? Lapras maybe?

{W} Lapras HP 100
{W} Call for Family
Search your deck for 2 Basic Pokémon and put them onto your Bench. Shuffle your deck afterward.

{C} {C} Reckless Charge
This Pokémon does 20 damage to itself.

This can also be used to start the game, letting you fill your bench with Durant (After Rotation we lose Collector :( ) Then cant be OHKOd by Heatmor and can 2HKO a Heatmor your opponet has. Or with a Plus Power can OHKO.

I think anyone running Durant is someone who likes a challenge, and will have to test defferent techs to get around the Heatmor blockade.
I don't think people will run a Heatmor in their decks (I will though) because Durant isnt the biggest threat anymore, Mewtwo is.

This isn't a CAP thread, this is discussing how Heatmor will affect Durant's popularity in the real game. While Mewtwo is a threat, its easily enough countered. Heatmor is just a 1 card tech, its really not hard at all to fit in. There really aren't any real techs for Heatmor unless Mew EX is released early.

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special

Dark Void said:
This isn't a CAP thread, this is discussing how Heatmor will affect Durant's popularity in the real game. While Mewtwo is a threat, its easily enough countered. Heatmor is just a 1 card tech, its really not hard at all to fit in. There really aren't any real techs for Heatmor unless Mew EX is released early.

That Lapras is a real card from NXD...And I think I was keeping on topic just fine.

cf11

Aspiring Trainer

If you think about it Heatmor is good and bad.

1. Starting with it against something other than Durant and thats a free prize.
2. The Durant player can mill it before it gets played
3. It could be prized
4. If it comes out against Durant bye bye Ants

Blah

DBT

Glaceon said:
I plan to use Heatmor in all my decks. One card tech for an autowin? Yes please.

^ this

Durant is not going to completely die out. And having one card is more than worth it to instantly win against one of the most annoying decks in the format.

I would also like to take credit for this idea, Zorua >:0

Professor Palutena

The Queen

I can see the Durant players teching something to combat Heatmor (like Basculin or Mewtwo-ex), unless they already do. A surprise Heatmor can slow down a Durant deck, but Durant's extensive recovery line can let it make a comeback.

Heatmor will lower the amount of Durant decks, but it won't completely phase out the deck.

Vulpix Yolk

\ \ durant gang \ \
Heatmor is going to be a great card for the format. It will cause a large drop out in mediocre Durant players. Only the strong Durant players are going to be able to compete in a format with Heatmor. This is going to be healthy, because it is going to make it harder for bad players to do well. A lot of people have been getting higher finishes than they deserve because Durant basically plays itself. Heatmor will only kill off the bad Durants, the good Durant players will be able to adjust their list, and continue to thrive in the metagame. Keep in mind Heatmor is basically going to become a complete non-issue for Durant with the release of Mew EX. Mewtwo will give your Mew problems, but after your Mew is killed, you should be able to coast through the game by walling Mewtwo with Durant, and continuously Catchering it up after you Lost Remover some Doubles.

Dork Void

#OCCUPYALLTHINGS
By the time Mew EX comes out though we'll probably have the rotation (unless TPCi pulls a fast one and released Mew EX in DE, which is unlikely) and the rotation kills off Durant (Collector, Dual Ball, Twins, Junk Arm, Rotom, Alph Litho all rotated).

Natural Harmonia Gropius

Friendly Giant
I think that no one will play heatmor, but durant will stop being played regardless, due to the sheer threat of heatmor only existing. Just the knowledge that your deck auto loses to a one-of tech will sway most players away from durant.

Zero

Renegade Writer
Heatmor is a skill testing card. No one good will ever run Heatmor in a serious deck unless it is in a toolbox deck. Heatmor is VERY narrow in its goals and it is only decent at doing the only thing it knows how to: beat durant. Durant players have tricks to get around narrow answers like Heatmor. Heatmor does one thing and one thing only. There is a strong possibility that heatmor will be an absolute do-nothing in a major event (nats). I don't want to play cards that do absolutely nothing unless against a single deck. If narrow cards are made, I want those cards to be good against popular decks. Durant isn't popular enough to play a solution for