TCG Artists You'd Like to See More Art From

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
We all have favorite artists when it comes to the Pokemon TCG, that's one thing I am pretty sure we all have. We look at the cards and go "Wow they worked damn hard to make that, they should do more" and such art is beautiful. But sadly it seems things like 3D Art are taking up more spaces on card art. Let's be honest - Most 3D Card art does not belong, the models are lovely and can be greatly appreciated. Specfically 5Ban Graphics, I will admit their models are beautiful, well done, etc. - but they hog up space for Pokemon that could have beautiful hand-done artwork, not 3D Models that they can save for later and pull out at another time. We've seen 5Ban Graphics has the ability to make a nice mix between 2D and 3D - they should do more of that!

but anyway rants aside! which artists would you like to see more art from in the TCG?
Personally - I am a huge Hitoshi Ariga fan so since he is now a TCG Artist, I am really hoping to see more from him! Aswell as Shin Nagasawa and Kanako Eo!

Who are your favorite artists? would you like to see more from them?

RE: TCG Artists You'd like to see more art from?

Shizurow and Kouki Saitou are two of my favorite artists. Granted, Shizurow is more of a 3D guy, but he designed the artwork for many of the LV.X and (non-full-art) 5th-gen Pokemon-EX. Having designed both Regigigas LV.X and Regigigas EX (among others), he has a special place in my heart.

Kouki Saitou is another fave, who does more of the traditional 2D art. More simplistic drawings than other 2Ds, but I like them, at least. It's kinda exciting to see.

Another one I really like is sui. All of the ones she does look like paintings. They look so cool. She started I think around HGSS, and although they're fairly rare, they are among the card arts I like the most.

I have quite a few favorite artists, all artists who contribute art for the TCG are amazing, sometimes you can´t see it though, because they´re limited by guidelines.
My favorites are probably the following:

Masakazu Fukuda

A great guy and amazing designer, he started during the ADV-era. His illustrations always fascinate me with their bright colors and detail. He puts so much effort into every single one of them. His most famous cards are the Pokemon Star from Ex Deoxys to Power Keepers.

My Favorite card(s):

Rayquaza Star, Mewtwo Star and Suicune Star

107-rayquaza-star.jpg
115-suicune-star.jpg
103-mewtwo-star.jpg

Midori Harada

I just love her traditional art style. She started working for the Pokemon Company way back in the day and also designed the world map for Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire.
With the E-Series sets she began doing artwork for the TCG which has been beautiful ever since. She is an amazing artist and I admire her skill.

My Favorite Card(s):

JR Rallye Promos from 2002

$(KGrHqZHJDQFDHrJ)!DSBSYI6)cz,!~~60_57.JPG

Atsuko Nishida

Probably one of the most underrated artists EVER. She has been involved with the franchise since the very beginning and has even worked on Pulse Man together with Gamefreak, which was released in 1994, 2 years before Pokemon!

She is the creator of Charmander, Charmeleon, Charizard AND Pikachu! She created ALL Eeveelutions as well!

Her most notable work is the most expensive Pokemon card to exist, the Pokemon Illustrator, which, coincidently features Pikachu and Charmander!

Pokemon-Pikachu-Illustrator.jpg
She is still doing art for the TCG once in a while which I always enjoy.

Dracidius said:
Atsuko Nishida
She is the creator of Charmander, Charmeleon, Charizard AND Pikachu! She created ALL Eeveelutions as well!
Font? Because if that is true, Nishida is really much more than an amazing artist and is as you said, underrated.

My favorite TCG artists would be Aya Kusube and Naoyo Kimura. I like their styles. And I'd like to see more Ken Sugimori artwork. Not the ones with stock Pokémon glued to stock background tough. Cards like Cynthia's feelings and Cyrus conspiracy.

Zygarde said:
Font? Because if that is true, Nishida is really much more than an amazing artist and is as you said, underrated.

Source: http://www.pokewiki.de/Atsuko_Nishida , down there there´s a list of Pokemon she created over the years.

My favorite, or one of them, is Kagemaru Himeno. I think she hasn't done an illustration since Dragons Exalted. My all time favorite of hers is Dark Charmeleon from the Team Rocket expansion. I really hope she returns for the XY sets.

One of my personal favorites is the (in my opinion, very underrated) Tomokazu Komiya. While many write him off due to his occasional...exaggerated...proportions, he's able to do a lot with color and contrast which can really set a mood. Komiya is able to illustrate Pokémon in his own unique way, but keeps them still looking like Pokémon.

His style actually varies quite a bit, too, though you can usually still pick out his work from a lineup. My favorites of his are the ones that use a lot of contrast, as well as any that feature bold color and strange proportions.

There's seven links there, so don't miss any.

CMP said:
One of my personal favorites is the (in my opinion, very underrated) Tomokazu Komiya.
I was surprised to learn that Legendary Treasures' Victini was drawn by him.
I was shocked. It wasn't hideous.

His art has good color choices... and that's about it.

Tomokazu's artwork in the BW era has been shockingly okay. His earliest work was vomit-inducing to me.

Well, love it or hate it, at least you can say his work has character...unlike the soulless, generic art by Masakazu Fukuda and 5ban. Generic is what Kagemaru Himeno's work has seemed to become in the BW-era, too; it just doesn't have the same personality and experimental use of color as it did in the earlier TCG days -- it's almost too perfect now.

Most of those classic artists started doing boring art in BW. Mitsuhiro, Kagemaru, Kouki Saitou... I think the last era I really loved most artwork was Platinum. Gosh, Arceus expansion art is mindblowing with all those eclipses.

I would love to see famous artists do some cards. A Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, or Neal Adams card would be incredible.

Familiar said:
I would love to see famous artists do some cards. A Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, or Neal Adams card would be incredible.

This is a discussion about existing TCG artists, though seeing art from them would be pretty dang neat!

As for many of you - wow it's nice to see so much variety in taste!

It is a shame to see all these artists get shoved in a corner after Game Freak hired them :'C they deserve more spotlight.

One thing I forgot to point out that I LOVE to see - Artists who designed the Pokemon getting to draw a TCG card for them.

Kind of a shame that the first card doesn't seem to be by the designer themselves - and they even never get to design a card for their creation.

TokenDuelist said:
Familiar said:

This is a discussion about existing TCG artists,

There is not much discussion in that limited topic.

The obvious answer

Xous​

whoever did the art from the Ereader era. That group or artists blew me away. Best art in the tcg ever imo.

Atsuko nishida is the best, her illustrations are so luminous and ethereal, they blend perfectly the pokemon and its environment, and her balance of colors is simply masterful. I have been trying for years to reproduce that style for my own works in 3D and it's really really hard, though sometimes I did came close). I love almost every illustration she made in that style.

Mizue works in a similar way, but more with the backgrounds than the pokemon.
Kawayoo too, but I don't usually like his style, too deformed.

It's funny, a bunch of cards I like, I attributed to kanako eko, but turns out many were by mahou (and some just seemed by them; I don't like harada, but that minccino is like finding a beautiful gold nugget in a public toilet). I love their no-nonsense, perfectly defined, adorable, to-the-point art; they have something to show and they will show it, dammit, no flourishes, distortions or unintelligible artsy bullshit. Kanako eko is better at doing people, mahou at pokemon, but I want to see more of them in those styles.

It's curious, I can establish parallels between nishida's and mizue's natural style with the works of frank lloyd wright and the organicism, while the simple and deloused style of eko and mahou bring Le corbusier and modernism to mind. Heh, I do have consistent tastes...

That german wiki has the info on who designed which pokemon, I can't understand a word, but I didn't know that information was public...

omahanime said:
The obvious answer

Xous​
And this is why you are my favorite.

omahanime said:
The obvious answer

Xous​

I would've expect more then 13 likes in a week for the person whose art is used in so many avatars.

TOKIYA and kawayoo definitely

Back