Pokémon Tapu Lele - Gen 1's Revenge!

Professor Palutena

The Queen
786.png

Type: Psychic/Fairy
Ability: Psychic Surge
70 HP / 85 Atk / 75 Def / 130 SpA / 115 SpD / 95 Spe

Notable Moves: Aromatherapy, Psyshock, Moonblast, Hidden Power Fire, Thunderbolt, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Energy Ball

In celebrating Gen 1's 20th anniversary, GameFreak apparently wondered how they could make Psychic types return to being the best like they were in Gen 1. Then they made Tapu Lele.

Some have called Lele a mini-Gardevoir, and that's surprisingly accurate statwise. However, power-wise, there's nothing miniature about it. Thanks to the Psychic Terrain it brings into battle, its Psychics are incredibly brutal. Even neutral Psychics from Lele are tough to take, making Steel and Dark types essential to tanking Lele. Beyond Psychic, Lele's coverage is solid enough to beat most of its would-be counters with the right move with a Specs set. This power has caused some to question how much longer Lele will remain in Smogon's OU format for.

But that's not all! Psychic Terrain prevents priority attacks, making Lele a natural teammate for any frail attackers, like Pheromosa, Zygarde 10% and, its best friend, Mega Alakazam, who also benefits from the Psychic terrain buff. Lele hyper offense is a legitimate playstyle that players will need to be aware of, as the power the team has is, largely, incomparable to anything we saw in ORAS OU.

It's best sets are Specs, Scarf, Calm Mind and Aromatherapy. How are you using Lele? What are you using it with? How are you beating it?

Read my thread on Dhelmise to see how I beat it. It tanks all the Tapus and then proceeds to kill them.

I have been using Tapu Lele in game for the battle tree. I normally have been pairing it with Ash-Greninja due to Greninja being able to deal with ghosts effectively in doubles. Once I play through moon I intend on pairing Pherosoma with it because of how insane that pair is. Life Orb is my go to item for Tapu Lele because it gives it additional power while still being able to change moves freely.

From the little amount ou battles I have had so far, I can tell this mon affects the metagame in that there are so few priority users. I am still debating with myself whether it is healthy for the meta or not.

From the little amount ou battles I have had so far, I can tell this mon affects the metagame in that there are so few priority users. I am still debating with myself whether it is healthy for the meta or not.
Yeah it's funny. Due to its typing, you'd think Scizor walks all over it but thanks to the ability, Scizor legitimately fears Lele because it can't revenge kill it.

Honestly, if anything gets banned next, I'm hoping its Lele. I get why Pheromosa is topping people's lists, but I think it's Lele that makes Phero so busted, and Lele also makes other Pokes busted as well.

Back