Discussion Talonflames for Stage 2 decks?

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
Talonflame from Steam Siege is known for its incredible features:
  • 0 Retreat
  • Can possibly start as an Active Pokemon due to its Gale Wings ability
  • Deals 40 and able to search 2 cards from your deck
But, when I saw some decks online, I always saw Talonflame in most Stage 2 decks like Greninja, Garchomp, etc.

Is this common for Talonflame to see in these decks like that? Because, you see:
  • If Talonflame doesn't start as an active on setup mode, the 4 Talonflames, that's what the common players run, are dump in the deck. If it starts as an active, the other 3 become dump.
What do you think?

Run them in certain decks for example Typhlosion. use 434 line with 3 Talons. This gives you enough to start with, whilst ensuring that you are likely to hit the Basics. If you hit the Talonflame it is a bonus and gives you something to work with. If I have the basic on the field, Talon Flame allows me to get the Stage 2 and a rare candy to evolve next turn. It does leave you open to an immediate N.

Having talonflame in Stage 2 decks is a common thing that I see a lot of. It's helpful because as long as you have an active talonflame and the basic, you can use talonflame to get out rare candy and the stage 2. Now, does talonflame have to be in every stage 2 deck? No. Is it risky? Yes. But is it affective? Yes, and to some (like myself) worth the risk. It's also just good to help set up slower decks, and you can easily use the non-usable talonflames as ultra ball fodder.

Or battle compress them and thin your deck in expanded. I think it's a super potent effect and a great way to avoid mulligans in certain decks, where to option is hitting one of you 4 chosen starters or your shaymin or whatevs. I plan on buying a playset. It does telegraph a little and yes, you do have some dead cards one way or another, but it seems like a worthwhile gamble. 40 damage plus an effect for a single colourless energy is pretty decent.

I think having Talonflame in Expanded is a little better than Standard, because of Battle Compressor, as fr33land said. I like having it in my Stage 2 decks that rely on only 1 pokemon line (like Delphox or Greninja), to prevent excessive mulligans. It has free retreat, has a respectable 130 HP which can't be donked very easily, and it's splashable. It's a great card and the ability itself is balanced, since you have to devote at least a few spaces in your deck to it to gain the possibility of advantage.

Back