Talkin' Baseball: The MLB Discussion Thread

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
With Spring Training in full force, and Opening Day a few weeks ahead, it's perfect time for an MLB Discussion Thread.

Discuss your favorite team(s); What they did in Free Agency, and Your Outlook on the upcoming season.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
SheNinja said:
Indians are pretty good in the Cactus League, doesn't mean they're good though...

I'm a fan of Toronto, and certainly, they stole all the headlines over the offseason. The blockbuster trade with Miami, and then trading for R.A. Dickey, although they had to give up prized prospect Travis d'Arnaud; but it's a loss they were willing to make.

And with all the injuries the Yankees suffered, the Blue Jays could win their first AL East Division pennant since the last time they made the playoffs; 1993.

It's been 20 years since Toronto played in a playoff game; Game 6 of the 1993 World Series when Joe Carter "touched 'em all" hitting the walk-off, series-winning home run off of Philadelphia Phillies reliever Mitch Williams.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
MountainDrew said:
Ive been an orioles fan all my life. We used to suck, but were pretty decent now.

They had a lot of one-run games go their way, experts are looking to see if lightning will strike twice with the O's bullpen.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
evascythe said:
I'm looking forward to another great season for the Bronx Bombers. Lets go Yankees!

The Yankees are riddled with injuries and old age. They still have a chance, but honestly; they're probably the 3rd-best team in the AL East behind Toronto and Baltimore.

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I root for the obvious home State team of the Diamondbacks. I'm hoping for a better year than last for sure. It was pretty depressing seeing that we won our Division pretty handily two years ago (after the Giants had won the 2010 World Series) and then we follow it up by being mediocre and seeing the Giants win it all again. Hopefully lightning will strike twice.

dmaster out.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
dmaster said:
I root for the obvious home State team of the Diamondbacks. I'm hoping for a better year than last for sure. It was pretty depressing seeing that we won our Division pretty handily two years ago (after the Giants had won the 2010 World Series) and then we follow it up by being mediocre and seeing the Giants win it all again. Hopefully lightning will strike twice.

dmaster out.

Arizona is a dark horse, but who knows; with all the noise the Dodgers made during the previous season and the fact the Giants won the World Series; the Diamondbacks could surprise everyone and manage to win the NL West.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
SI sent out their issue with their WS Prediction; if everything goes how they say; there will be a parade possibly down Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington D.C.

(Nationals over Rays in the World Series.)

Flys Gone 2071

Also known as Flygon2071
I'm a Rangers fan. Those last games from last season were terrible. We are now without Hamilton, Young and Napoli. At least we have Profar coming up from the minors. we are doing pretty bad on Spring Training right now.

CCloud

Aspiring Trainer
Flygon2071 said:
I'm a Rangers fan. Those last games from last season were terrible. We are now without Hamilton, Young and Napoli. At least we have Profar coming up from the minors. we are doing pretty bad on Spring Training right now.

No question, the Rangers are heading in the wrong direction while everyone else in the AL West (save the Lastros) is trending upward.

Anyway,

GO CARDS

Cy Wainwright. Holliday NL MVP. Cards win 12th Fall Classic. LET'S GET IT

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
The Blue Jays have their first game of the season today against the Cleveland Indians. Last time these two teams met on the Opening Day series, they had an epic 16-inning game that Toronto eventually came out on top of.

R.A. Dickey takes the mound for the 'Jays against Justin Masterson and the Tribe.

Smeargle

I'm not a big baseball fan but I like the Nats and last year they finished with the best regular season record in the MBL and this year I hope they go farther, Sports Illustrated picked them as this years winner of the world series. I haven't really followed them but I know they won their first game and now that Streusburg (if that's how you spell it) is back from surgery we should be better. I'm glad DC is getting better at sports because when I was very little the Redskins were terrible, the Nats were terrible, but the Caps were good. This year it's the exact opposite... Although the Wizards have been bad ever since... a long time ago.

CCloud

Aspiring Trainer
Yu Darvish, pitching a perfect game and down to the final out, yielded a base hit right back up the middle to Marwin Gonzalez to spoil the perfecto. So close yet so far away.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Toronto played flat yesterday and lost in R.A Dickey's debut for the team; 4-1 to Cleveland.

They have the second game of the 3-game series tonight; Brandon Morrow for Toronto takes on Ubaldo Jimenez of Cleveland.

CCloud

Aspiring Trainer
The bats weren't working for the Jays, but there won't be many off nights like that. They've become less of a team focused on power-hitting and become more well-rounded offensively with the additions of Reyes and Cabrera.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
CCloud said:
The bats weren't working for the Jays, but there won't be many off nights like that. They've become less of a team focused on power-hitting and become more well-rounded offensively with the additions of Reyes and Cabrera.

Yeah, the Jays shouldn't have many flat days this season. I agree somewhat that they're moving from a power-hitting team to a well-rounded, hit for average team.