Writing Tails' FireRed Nuzlocke

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Tails' Pokémon
290861.png

Nuzlocke!

Hello there, and welcome to my first-ever Pokémon Nuzlocke! A Nuzlocke is something I wanted to try for a long time, but never really had the courage to do until now. A Nuzlocke is basically the hard mode for the game.

Nuzlocke Rules:
1) All Pokémon must be nicknamed. No exceptions.
2) You can only capture the first Pokémon in a route. Only exceptions are Dupes and the beginning of the game (when you have no Poké Balls).
3) If a Pokémon faints, it is considered 'dead' and must be either Boxed or Released and immediately replaced.
4) Dupes Clause: If you encounter a previously caught Pokémon (i.e. Rattata) on a new Route (i.e. Route 2), you must search until you find a different, uncaught Pokémon (i.e. Pidgey or Weedle).
5) Battle Style must be set to the 'Set' position.

Chapter 1: New York State of Ruben

This story begins in the quaint little town of Pallet. The sun brightly shining through the window of our protagonist for this game, a young 10-year old boy named Ruben. Ruben had been eagerly awaiting this day; the day he started his Pokémon journey. Grabbing his lucky red hat, red jacket and his brown backpack; he darted out his front door.

The sun shown brightly overhead, and Ruben couldn't wait to get his journey started. He checked old Professor Oak's Laboratory first. However, Oak wasn't there. Only his Aides and Ruben's childhood rival; Gary were there. Gary turned around to face the door and then scoffed at Ruben.
"You're going to become a Pokémon Master?" he exclaimed, "Don't make me laugh! If any of us is going to become a Pokémon Master, it's going to be me; Gary Oak!"
"Don't waste your time Ruben!" Gary finished and tugged on the collar of his black shirt before laughing. Ruben angrily stormed off. He was going to show Gary all right. He just needed to find Professor Oak.

Ruben made his way to the north of town with Route 1 staring directly at him. He took one step and then...
"Wait!" a voice cried out, "Don't move!" Ruben turned around to see Professor Oak running up towards him.
"It's unsafe!" Professor Oak stated, pointing towards the thick patches of dark green grass, "Wild Pokémon live in tall grass and you need one for protection. Follow me!" Before Ruben knew it, Professor Oak had grabbed him by the hand and lead him back to where he first looked; Oak's Lab.

Gary had a disgusted look on his face as Ruben came back.
"Come on Gramps!" Gary complained, "I'm tired of waiting!"
"Be patient Gary." Oak said to Gary before turning to Ruben. He then pointed to the table with three Poké Balls on it, "Here are three Poké Balls! Inside each is a rare Pokémon! Go ahead and choose one!"
"But Gramps!" Gary replied, "What about me?!"
"You'll get your turn!" Oak stated.

Ruben looked at each Pokemon carefully. Ruben opened the first to see a small green creature with a large, green bulb on its back.

"Bulbasaur; the Grass-type. It's very easy to raise." Oak stated. Ruben returned it and opened the next one to see a small, light blue turtle with a rock-hard shell.
"Squirtle; the Water-type. It's one worth raising." Oak stated. Ruben returned Squirtle to its Poké Ball and opened the third and final one; one containing an orange lizard with a flame on the tip of its tail.
"Charmander; the Fire-type. You should raise this one patiently." Oak stated. Ruben had made his decision; he was going with Charmander. He gave it the nickname Evan.

"Charmander, eh?" Gary scoffed. "I know just the one to pick; Squirtle!" Gary snatched the Poké Ball containing Squirtle and then ran in front of Ruben.
"Come on Ruben!" Gary said, "Let's battle and see who made the better choice for their starter!" Gary sent out his Squirtle and Ruben countered with Charmander. Oak just sighed and put his hands to his face before walking over to Ruben.
"This is a Pokémon battle, and the objective is to faint your opponent's Pokemon before yours do." Oak stated.

"Scratch attack, Charmander!" Ruben exclaimed. Charmander charged at Squirtle landing a blow with its sharp claws.
"Squirtle; counter with a Tackle!" Gary replied. Squirtle lowered it's head slightly and slammed into Charmander with its hard head. The two traded the same blows for the next two turns and by that fourth and final turn; both were exhausted and the next attack the lands would be the deciding blow.
"Squirtle; Tackle it!" Gary exclaimed. Squirtle tried its hardest to land its attack, but it ended up missing, giving Charmander the perfect opportunity to strike.
"Finish it with a Scratch attack!" Ruben exclaimed. The small orange fire lizard swept in and landed a close-range Scratch attack to the small turtle Pokémon. The attack sent Squirtle falling backwards, Knocked Out.
"WHAT?!" Gary shouted, "I picked the wrong Pokémon?" He then shook his head.
"I'll go out and train it up and make it tough!" Gary replied, "Smell ya later Ruben!" Gary was off like a shot, leaving Ruben standing there.

More importantly however, Ruben got his first of what should become many victories on his journey to become a Pokémon Master.

Pokémon Team:
"Evan" the Charmander (Male) Lv. 6

(I'm not sure how long each Chapter is going to be, but I will try to make them of decent lengths.)

Last edited:
Chapter 2: That's some Gouda Cheese

Route 1 was a very peaceful grassland area that linked the small town of Pallet to the city of Viridian. Ruben traveled north, encountering wild Pokemon. The two Pokemon he encountered were Pidgey, a small brown bird Pokemon with a sandy-brown feathered stomach. The second was Rattata, which was a small purple rat Pokemon, clearly defined by its huge white front teeth, which it uses for gnawing purposes.

Evan got knocked around a little bit and Ruben went to the Pokemon Center first. Nurse Joy was manning the front desk. Clearly noticeable with her bright pink hair she greeted Ruben with a warm smile.

"Hello and welcome to the Pokemon Center!" Nurse Joy stated, "Are you here to get your Pokemon healed?" Ruben didn't respond, he just nodded. Nurse Joy took Ruben's Poke Ball and placed it onto the big machine right next to her. She turned it on and the machine emitted a loud whirring sound before emitting a chime signaling the healing process was done. Nurse Joy handed the Poke Ball back to Ruben.

"Thank you!" she replied, "Please come again!" Ruben nodded before turning around to exit the building. He was going to head back to Pallet, but something caught his eye, the Poke Mart. With it's bright blue roof, much like the Pokemon Center's red roof; was easily recognizable and noticeable for any Trainer entering town. Curious, he wandered towards it and walked through the automatic door.

The attendant at the desk noticed Ruben walk in and spoke up;

"You!" he exclaimed, adjusting his glasses, "You came from Pallet Town, right?" Ruben looked around before pointing to himself.
"Who?" Ruben replied, "M-Me? I did, I did come from Pallet. Why are you asking?" The Mart attendant grabbed a small cardboard box and placed it on the countertop.
"It's a good thing you came when you did." the attendant stated, "You see, Professor Oak ordered something and it just came today. If you can, please send it down to Pallet Town for me." Ruben then walked up to the countertop.
"Uh...sure!" Ruben said, taking the small box, "I'll make sure Professor Oak gets this!"
"Thanks!" the attendant said, relieved, "I am ever so glad you showed up when you did! Be sure to say 'Hello!' to Professor Oak for me!" Another Trainer had entered and had a small pile of Poke Balls in his hands and the attendant turned to the prospective customer as Ruben left the Mart.

Ruben shook the box up and heard some metal clanking.
"Gee, I wonder what's in this box?" Ruben said out loud to himself, "Only will find out when Oak opens it up for himself!" Ruben was off, like a shot, back to Pallet Town; clutching the mysterious package in his hands.

Professor Oak was patiently waiting, seemingly expecting Ruben's arrival. Ruben darted through the front door, with the package in his hands.
"Ah! Ruben, I was expecting you!" Oak replied. Ruben tossed Oak the package with Oak catching it in his hands.
"That...that came for you...up in Viridian..." Ruben replied, panting and gasping for breath. He took off his red hat and wiped the sweat of his brow before putting the hat back on.
"Oh, this is my package!" Oak exclaimed, "I was wondering when it'd get delivered!"
"P-Package?" Ruben questioned.
"It's a custom-made Poke Ball I had ordered." Oak stated, "Thanks ever so much for delivering this to me!" Ruben smiled before the doors swung open. Ruben then heard that all-to-familiar voice.
"Gramps!"

Gary had come back to the Lab.
"Why did you have an Aide tell me to come back here so quickly?" Gary asked, "I was going to do some training!" Oak raised his hand before continuing.
"Boys, I have a special task for you to accomplish." Oak placed his package on the table before grabbing two small, red objects.
"These are what we call a Pokedex. They are Pokemon encyclopedias, allowing to register data on any Pokemon you catch on your journey." Oak stated, paused then continued, "It was my dream to record data on all the Pokemon in the world; but I'm just too old to do it! So, I want you two to team up and make Pokemon history!"

Gary spoke up;
"Gee, I'd LOVE to; but I think I can handle this all by myself." Gary then added, "I know; I'll get a Town Map from my sister and tell her not to give you one, Ruben! Smell ya later!" Gary then laughed all the way out the door.

After seeing through Gary's bold-faced lie, Gary's sister Daisy was more then happy to give Ruben a Town Map.
"Gee, Gramps is awfully lazy to tell you to do this all by yourself; so I hope this Town Map helps you out." Daisy stated, handing her Map to Ruben.

After leaving Daisy's and saying farewell to his Mom, Ruben was off like a shot to Route 1.

What would be his first caught Pokemon? Ruben heard a loud squeak and before he knew it...he was in a wild Pokemon battle with a Rattata.

"All right, we'll make this our first Pokemon capture, go Evan!" Ruben exclaimed. Charmander gave out a battle cry before taking attack position.
"Scratch it!" Ruben shouted. Charmander charged at Rattata, landing a blow on the purple rat with its sharp claws. The Rattata countered with a Tackle attack, charging it's small body into Charmander's midsection. They traded another set of blows before Ruben readied a Poke Ball.
"Here goes nothing...Poke Ball; GO!" he exclaimed, throwing the Poke Ball. The Poke Ball hit the Rattata, engulfing the creature in red light energy before being sucked inside the capturing device.

1 shake, 2 shakes, 3 shakes. CLICK! The Rattata was caught. Ruben ran over to the Poke Ball, and exclaimed.
"I did it, it's my first capture!" Suddenly he heard his Pokedex emit a sound.

"Rattata's data was added to the Pokedex!" the voice exclaimed. Ruben took the Pokedex out of his Bag and read the screen.

"Rattata; the Mouse Pokemon.

Its fangs are long and very sharp. They grow continuously, so it gnaws on hard things to whittle them down."

Ruben had temporarily sent Rattata out of its Poke Ball and spoke to it;
"Now, let's think of a nickname for you!" Ruben said, "Since you are a mouse and mice like cheese, Gouda sounds like a nice nickname! Do you like that?" His Rattata gave a squeak; a squeak of approval so to speak.

"That settles it; Gouda it is!" Ruben exclaimed. He returned Gouda to its Poke Ball and then Evan to his and proceeded to the Pokemon Center to heal.

Pokemon Team:
"Evan" (Charmander; Male) Level 9
"Gouda" (Rattata; Female) Level 3

(Author's Note: Remember, there were no Gender differences in Gen III. If there were; the Rattata gender differences would've been stated.)

Last edited:
Chapter 3 - Watch Out Ruben! Squadron of Pi Fighters!

Ruben had just left the Viridian City Pokemon Center and was making his way to the west, towards Route 22. The Pokemon League Gate was beckoning, but only until Ruben had received all 8 Kanto Badges could he set foot through the gate and attempt to challenge the Elite 4.

However, he was here for a more important task; trying to catch another Pokemon. It would be the third on his party. He ended up finding a wild Mankey, which was a small beige-furred pig monkey with brown, bare fists. But, unfortunately for Ruben, Gouda got a Critical Hit on her Tackle attack, knocking out the Mankey.

"Aww..." Ruben said, dejectedly, "I wanted to catch that..." However, he simply walked over and gave Gouda a pat on her head and returned her to her Poke Ball.

Route 22 was a no-go for a wild Pokemon capture, let's see if Route 2 would be any better.

As Ruben was walking towards the north of town towards Route 2; he was stopped by an elderly, bespectacled gentleman.
"You there young man!" he called out to Ruben. Ruben turned around to face the old man.
"Yes?" Ruben asked, "What is it?"
"Do you know how to catch Pokemon?" he asked.
"Uh...yeah...I think so..." Ruben replied slowly.
"There's no need to fear!" the old man added, "I can show you how!"

The old man then spontaneously generated a random battle out of nowhere on the outskirts of town with a wild Weedle. (Clearly, Ruben thought; this man is a wizard.)

Weedle is a small orange-colored bug with a very identifiable long silver-colored horn. Weedle uses this horn as self-defense, injecting their foe with a deadly poison.

Ruben noticed the old man did not have a Pokemon on him.
"I thought you needed a Pokemon to weaken a wild one?" Ruben asked.
"Not all the time, but it sure helps!" the old man replied, chuckling. He then threw the Poke Ball at the wild Weedle and caught it. Ruben looked simply dumbfounded.
"That's all there is to it!" the old man added, "Weaken the foe, a status affliction helps a lot. When the time feels right; go ahead and trust your gut and throw a Poke Ball!"
"Understood!" Ruben replied, "Thanks for the advice!" Ruben was about to leave before the old man spoke up again.
"W-Wait!" the old man exclaimed, "I have a gift for you!" Ruben saw the old man was clutching a compact TV in his hands.
"This is the Teachy TV." the old man said, "If you have any trouble with any facet of Pokemon. Turn this one and watch the informative videos on anything you need to know. Status afflictions, type advantages, even Selecting a Key Item for easy use later!"
"Wow, and all that from this little TV?" Ruben replied, "Cool!" Ruben put the TV, which somehow fit comfortably inside his Bag and raced off north towards Route 2.

Route 2 was at the foot of the Viridian Forest. The Viridian Forest is chock full of insect-like Pokemon, so Ruben needed to grab something that would be helpful in the forest. Just then, he was ambushed by a wild Pidgey.

"Ahh! Gouda go!" Ruben exclaimed, tossing Gouda's Poke Ball. The small purple rodent leapt from the ball and took a fighting stance. The wild Pidgey gave a loud squawk and tried to ram into Gouda, but Gouda countered with a Tackle of her own. The two Pokemon's attacks were evenly matched, sending both Pokemon skidding back through the dirt a little bit.

Ruben pondered his next decision; should he attack once more? Or throw a Poke Ball? Ruben decided to try his luck with another Tackle attack.
"Tackle it once more Gouda!" Ruben exclaimed, then added; "Be sure not to KO it this time!" Gouda charged at the wild Pidgey and landed a second Tackle attack, sending the bird Pokemon flying into the sky a little bit before landing on the ground with a thud. The Pidgey slowly got back up on its feet, but was clearly in a lot of pain from the battle. Ruben decided the time was good enough, it was Poke Ball time.
"Poke Ball, Go!" Ruben exclaimed throwing the Poke Ball. Like with Gouda, the wild Pidgey was engulfed in the red light emitted from the Poke Ball was quickly sucked inside.

1 shake, 2 shakes, 3 shakes. CLICK! Pidgey was caught!

"All right! Pokemon #2!" Ruben exclaimed. Dancing around, celebrating. He suddenly heard his Pokedex emit the same sounds it did when he caught Gouda.

"Pidgey's data was added to the Pokedex." the Pokedex stated.

"Pidgey, the Bird Pokemon.

Does not like to fight. It hides in tall grass and so on, foraging for food such as small bugs."

"Well, this Pidgey apparently wanted to fight." Ruben said, grasping his newly caught Pidgey in its Poke Ball, "Now what to name you?"
Ruben snapped his finger before continuing; "I know! Pi Fighter! That's perfect!"

He made his way back safely to the Pokemon Center in Viridian City. He decided to do a quick little bit of level grinding with Pi Fighter before venturing into Viridian Forest. As he entered the heavily forested area, he talked to a kid by the entrance.
"My friends are all here, and they all caught Bug Pokemon." he said, "They'll most likely want to battle you if you encounter them."

Ruben had bigger things to accomplish, like trying to capture a new Pokemon. He found his encounter for the area; a Weedle. Ruben decided to give it a shot and sent out Pidgey.
"All right, Pi Fighter!" Ruben said, "Let's give this our best shot! Gust attack!" Pi Fighter gave a loud squawk before flapping its wings wildly. The wind knocked the Weedle silly; up and down and all around. The Weedle pratfalled to the floor, but got up. It tried to launch a Poison Sting attack. The attack hit its mark, and Pidgey retaliated with a Tackle attack. The Tackle sent the Weedle flying. Ruben had once again struck out in capturing a Pokemon. Pi Fighter saw the look of dejection on its Trainers' face. However, like with Gouda; Ruben just simply said.

"I didn't even want it anyway..." Ruben exclaimed, "Although, I would've loved to have cauht a Pikachu..."

Ruben had to battle one last Bug Catcher to escape through Viridian Forest. This Bug Catcher was armed with only a Level 9 Caterpie. Evan made quick work of him and Ruben celebrated that he was at the end of the forest.

"Team's coming along nicely. I need to do some training before I challenge the first Gym." he said to himself as he left the forest gate and stepped back onto Route 2. Ruben checked his map.
"I'm still on Route 2?" he questioned, "Oh well, I needed to heal my team up anyway. Next city ahead of me is Pewter, home of the first Kanto Gym!"

Pewter City is gray, the color of stone. From the Gym to the Science Museum, the whole town was hooked on stones. Ruben sat down and was reading up on Brock.
"Brock is the Pewter City Gym Leader and is known for specializing in Rock-type Pokemon." Ruben read. His heart then sank, "None of my Pokemon can really do much about that..."

However, he remembered something Prof. Oak had told him about Charmander.
"Charmander can learn Metal Claw; and that should prove to be very beneficial to you in your challenge against Brock." Ruben remembering what Professor Oak told him.
"Okay, we just need to level up a tad more, and we should have no problem!" Ruben exclaimed, "Once we do, it should be really easy to rock Brock's world!" Ruben then raised his fist into the air.

Ruben grabbed his backpack and was off like a shot, back to Route 2 and the Viridian Forest.

Pokemon Team:
"Evan" (Charmander; Male) Level 11
"Gouda" (Rattata; Female) Level 9
"Pi Fighter" (Pidgey; Male) Level 8

Chapter 4 - I can use my Frying Pan as a Crying Pan!

Pewter City. The color of stone. Ruben, after reading up on Brock knew that he'd be facing Rock-type Pokemon. Training up his team; Evan learned Metal Claw. Steel-types are Super Effective against the Rock-type and Ruben was feeling confident about his chances. Gouda and Pi Fighter were leveled up alongside Evan, but Ruben was seriously hoping not to have the need to use them because of their ineffective type matchups against Rock.

Entering the Gym revealed a large stone platform in the middle of the building with small stones lining the border of the Gym Floor. There, at the other end of the Gym was Brock; who was currently sitting down.

Brock was tall, tan, his eyes always closed. He dusted off his orange jacket and proceeded to get up.

"You're here for a Gym Battle, is that correct?" he asked. Brock was a tad formidable to Ruben.
"Y-Y-Yes...I'm here for a b-battle." Ruben replied, stuttering. Brock chuckled.
"Relax man, if you're going to battle stressed out; you've already lost." Brock stated, "I have two Pokemon; you are free to use all of your team to defeat mine and you are allowed to substitute at any time."
"Okay. I'm ready." Ruben replied, holding out a Poke Ball.
"All right," Brock exclaimed, "A challenger who's ready to rumble! Exactly what I love to see!"

Brock's first Pokemon was a Geodude; a small gray rock creature with two large arms and hands.
"Geodude is rock-hard." Brock stated, "Think you can shatter these Defenses?"
"Think?" Ruben replied, smugly, "I don't think. I KNOW. Evan, go!" Ruben tossed his Poke Ball to reveal Evan, his Charmander.
"Charmander should take out Geodude easily. His Geodude doesn't know a single Rock-type move!" Ruben said to himself.
"All right Evan, hit 'em with a Metal Claw!" Ruben exclaimed. Evan charged at Geodude and lunged its claws at him, which turned solid, like steel. Making contact, Geodude let out a grunt of pain.
"Ugh, Geodude." Brock said, "Counter with a Tackle attack!" Geodude folded it's arms around its body and lunged at Evan, landing a strong Tackle attack.
"Don't let 'em take you like that; attack with another Metal Claw!" Ruben exclaimed. Charmander lunged a second time at Geodude, landing a second Metal Claw attack. This time, the attack did a massive amount of damage and Geodude fell to the ground with an unceremonious thud.

"Geodude has been defeated, the winner of the round is Charmander!" the Gym attendant exclaimed, pointing his arm towards Ruben's side.
"All right, one down!" Ruben exclaimed, confidently, "One more to go!" Brock simply gave a chuckle.
"All right now, time to bring out my ace!" Brock exclaimed, heaving a Poke Ball, "Onix, go!" The Poke Ball revealed Onix, a gigantic rock snake. Onix gave out a loud roar and proceeded to look intimidatingly at Evan. Evan however, would not stand down and instead countered with a glare of his own.
"If you can beat my Onix; then the Boulder Badge is yours." Brock stated, showing Ruben the Boulder Badge, "Think you can beat him?"
"Again, I don't think; I know I can!" Ruben replied, "Give 'em another Metal Claw Evan!" Metal Claw struck hard and fast, leaving Onix flailing around.
"Onix, use Rock Tomb!" Brock commanded. Onix fired a small barrage of rocks at Evan.
"Uh-oh, watch out Evan!" Ruben exclaimed. Evan, hearing his Trainer's command, nimbly managed to avoid the rocks being thrown at him.
"Metal Claw, keep it up!" Ruben commanded. Another Metal Claw right, mashing a weak spot on the formidable rock snake.
"Rock Tomb, hit this time!" Brock shouted. The rocks fired at Charmdander hit their target. Charmander got pinched inbetween some rocks, and squeezed himself free.
"Rock Tomb is an attack that when it hits; the Opponent's Speed falls." Brock stated.
"Evan is still faster then your Onix!" Ruben shouted back, then commanded, "Evan! Another Metal Claw; give it everything you got!" Evan leaped into the air, and struck Onix right underneath the neck area, landing his third and final blow. Onix came tumbling down like, a ton of stones. Brock stood there in stunned disbelief.

"Onix has been defeated!" the Gym attendant stated, then exclaimed, "The winner of this battle is Evan and Ruben!" Ruben was tearing up, crying tears of joy as he rushed over to and hugged his Charmander. Brock walked up to Ruben.
"Congratulations; you have beaten me through and through." Brock stated, "In accordance with Pokemon League rules; I present to you the Boulder Badge." Brock outstretched his hand, revealing the small, stone-like Badge. Ruben took it from Brock's hand before showing it to Evan.
"We did it, we got our first Badge!" Ruben exclaimed. Evan gave a cry of joy before stopping. Evan was quickly enveloped in a bright, white light.
"Evan?" Ruben asked, "What's happening to you? Are you all right?" The silhouette of Evan grew larger, arms, head, body, and tail. Evan, unbeknownst to Ruben at that time; had evolved.
"Charmeleon." Evan gave out a cry.
"Charmeleon?" Ruben questioned.

Ruben was in the Pokemon Center, video-chatting with Professor Oak.
"Your Charmander underwent a process called evolution." Professor Oak stated.
"Evolution?" Ruben just simply asked.
"Evolution occurs when a Pokemon obtains a specific amount of Experience Points, so EXP Pts. for short." Professor Oak added, "When a Pokemon evolves, their form changes; sometimes in such a way it's surprising."
"Wow, that sounds awesome!" Ruben exclaimed.
"Congrats on beating Brock!" Prof. Oak replied, "Next time you see Gary; tell him I said 'Hello.'"
"Okay I'll do that." Ruben replied, then ending the conservation, "Not." Just hearing the name Gary made Ruben unhappy.
"I'll show him who's going to be the REAL Pokemon Master." Ruben said silently to himself.

Ruben, after receiving his first Badge from Brock; was now more determined then ever to become a Pokemon Master.

Pokemon Team:
"Evan" (Charmeleon; Male) Level 16
"Gouda" (Rattata; Female) Level 11
"Pi Fighter" (Pidgey; Male) Level 10

(Author's Note: The evolution speech was originally going to be spoken by Brock in my original draft. But, I switched it to Professor Oak because of the segway added at the end with Gary.)

Last edited:
Chapter 5 - Do Birds Dream of Gold Jackets?

Ruben walked out of Pewter City, gleaming with pride. He held his new Boulder Badge in his hand before placing it in a compartment in his bag. As he reached the outskirts of town; one of Professor Oak's Aides was stationed there and approached Ruben.

"Ah, Ruben! There you are!" he exclaimed, "I have a gift for you!"
"A gift for me?" Ruben asked. The Aide handed him a box.
"Be sure to call Professor Oak to tell him our your Pokedex is doing!" the Aide exclaimed, then walking off. Ruben opened the Box to reveal a pair of Running Shoes. There was a note inserted into the Box and Ruben read it.
"Here is a pair of Running Shoes for my special little challenger! Take care! Love, Mom." Ruben smiled as he slipped the Running Shoes on, and well...ran down the path to Route 3.

Ruben had beaten all the Trainers on the Route, but the last trainer...a Lass with a Jigglypuff gave some trouble. After Evan had trouble landing attacks; Ruben switched to Gouda who used her Hyper Fang attack and was able to mash the weak spot on the little pink puffball to give Ruben the victory. Ruben joyfully picked Gouda up and spun around to celebrate the victory.

There was however; the matter of catching a Pokemon here. After failing to catch a Pokemon in the Viridian Forest; Ruben hoped to redeem his chances here. He stumbled upon a wild Spearow. Spearow, unlike it's bird brother Pidgey; is aggressive to a default. It gave a loud caw before attacking Ruben.
"Ah! Pi Fighter!" Ruben exclaimed, "Counter with a Tackle!" Ruben tossed Pidgey's Poke Ball into the air. Pidgey and Spearow traded blows before Ruben decided to toss a Poke Ball.

1 shake, 2 shakes, 3 shakes...CLICK! Spearow was caught!

As Ruben held his new Pokemon in its Poke Ball; Ruben's Pokedex emitted it's own sounds.

"Spearow's data was added to the Pokedex."

"Spearow; the Tiny Bird Pokemon

It busily flits around here and there. Even if it is frail, it can be a tough foe that uses MIRROR MOVE."

"All right, now what to nickname you?" Ruben said to himself, "I've got one; McGavin. I'd have said 'Shooter' but you can't be nicknamed that."
(Author's Note: I know; there was no "Nickname Policy" in Gen III, it's there for 'leaning on the fourth-wall humor.)

Ruben, after exiting Route 4 found himself on Route 5. Mt. Moon, in all its glory was staring Ruben in the face. Ruben gulped as he got closer and closer to the entrance. Thankfully, there was a Pokemon Center.

After healing, Ruben drew the attention of a rather large individual; clutching a Poke Ball.
"You there, nice Pokemon Trainer!" the man exclaimed, "I have a great deal for you, zoing!"
"A deal for me?" Ruben asked.
"Inside this Poke Ball; is a Pokemon called Magikarp!" the man stated, "Goyum; it's a goldmine!"
"How much?" Ruben asked.
"500 PokeDollars and it's all your...mmmhey." the man replied.
"Thanks but no thanks; I'm good." Ruben said.
"Hey hey hey!" the man exclaimed, "I'm doing this for your own good!" But as the Magikarp Salesman finished his sentence, Ruben was off and out the doors of the Pokemon Center.
"Why do people run from me?" the Magikarp Salesman simply said; saying it directly to the Poke Ball as if he was trying to have a conversation with it.

Mt. Moon; the tallest point in the Kanto region. Many people are ambushed here by wild Pokemon that only the hardy enter. Ruben had walked in and noticed a wooden sign with big bold letters on it.
"Beware! ZUBAT is a bloodsucker!" Ruben shuddered at the fact, but as he turned around he was ambushed by something. Something...pink.
"Clefairy." the pink Pokemon said. Ruben's dry dropped and his eyes lit up.
"Holy cow!" Ruben exclaimed, "It's my lucky day! A Clefairy!" Ruben decided to toss out McGavin, the Spearow who took a fighting stance and gave a loud caw.
"McGavin, Peck!" Ruben ordered. McGavin swooped in and thrust it's small beak into the body of the wild Clefairy. Clefairy countered with a Pound attack. Clefairy lifted its hand and came down on to McGavin's face landing a slapping blow. Another Peck was ordered and launched, but this time; once making contact, McGavin's eyes turned to hearts.
"Uh-oh!" Ruben shouted, "He's in love!" McGavin gave a mating call as the Clefairy landed another Pound attack, like it was trying to snap the small bird out of it.
"I'd better not risk it; Poke Ball; GO!" Ruben exclaimed. The wild Clefairy was caught off guard by the Poke Ball and quickly found itself being converted into red energy and sucked inside the Poke Ball.

1 shake, 2 shakes, 3 shakes...CLICK! Clefairy was caught!

"Clefairy's data was added to the Pokedex." Ruben's Pokedex stated. Ruben picked up his Pokedex to read Clefairy's data; which had just been registered.

"Clefairy; the Fairy Pokemon.

Its adorable appearance makes it popular as a pet. However, it is rare and difficult to find."

"Wow, that was incredibly lucky I found Clefairy and not something else like Zu-" Ruben said to himself, before being cut off. He was attacked by a wild Zubat.
Zubat; the same Pokemon warned about on the sign. Zubat is a small light blue bat with purple wings. It has no eyes but a large mouth; showing it's 4 fangs off in all their glory.
"Like Zubat." Ruben said, finishing his previous sentence. Evan the Charmeleon made quick work of the small bat, spewing an Ember attack to finish it off.

Unbeknownst to Ruben, an evil organization called Team Rocket was in operations here. Tall, gangly fellows dressed all in black. Their shirts emblazoned with a big, bright, red 'R'. Ruben had encountered some and beat them; but got no explanation as to why they were there. Just a bunch of angry threats and ham-fisted comments. However, there was one Rocket Grunt who finally told Ruben as to why there were here.
"Team Rocket plans to find the fossils and sell them for big money!"
"Why would they need Fossils for?" Ruben wondered to himself. However, beating the Grunt lead to another angry threat in response. But, at the end of the dungeon sat a nerdy young man, staring intently at two fossils, which were blocking the path.
"Stop; these are mine!" he exclaimed, "I found them first!" Suddenly, Ruben was thrust into battle. But, Ruben made quick work of him. Evan got Poisoned by one of the nerd's Pokemon during the battle so Ruben reached into his bag; grabbed an Antidote and cured his Pokemon of its Poisoning.
"Okay...okay." the Super Nerd replied adjusting his glasses, "We can share; but only pick one!" Ruben stared intently at the two fossils. One had the imprint of a shell; a shell shaped like a dome. The other had a shell emblazoned with a helix pattern. Ruben reached over and decided to pick up the fossil with the Helix pattern; the Helix Fossil.
"Okay, the other one is mine." the Super Nerd stated, picking up the other Fossil. He then spoke up, "I heard on the island of Cinnabar; far away from here, is a Lab that can resurrect these two Pokemon from their fossilized slumber. Science is amazing!" Ruben nodded and smiled and then proceeded to walk away.

Finding the exit, he had to squint his eyes because he eyes were not used to the natural light from the sun during his time in the cave.
"It's good to get out of that cave; let's get to the next town; heal up and train!" he exclaimed to himself and raced down the path to Cerulean. Passing by the grass because he needed to heal, he was going to come back to the grass after he healed to catch a new Pokemon and train. He entered the Pokemon Center, healed and just took the time to simply relax. He had come a long way so far, but his journey was still in its infancy. There was a long way to go before he could call himself a Pokemon Master.

Pokemon Team:
"Evan" (Charmeleon; Male) Level 20
"Gouda" (Rattata; Female) Level 17
"Pi Fighter" (Pidgey; Male) Level 17
"Starlight" (Clefairy; Female) Level 11
"McGavin" (Spearow; Male) Level 12

Chapter 6 - We're Gonna Rock Around the Dock Tonight

Ruben emerged from the Cerulean City Pokemon City, bright-eyed, bushy-tailed and eager to catch his next Pokemon. Returning to Route 4, he darted into the talle grass and eventually came across his encounter; which was a wild Ekans. Ekans is a slender, purple snake with yellow ring-like markings around it's neck and a yellow-marking for it's stomach. The Ekans gave a hiss as it took an attacking stance.

"Go, McGavin, give 'em a Peck attack!" Ruben exclaimed. McGavin cawed then attacked the Ekans with it's sharp beak. The Ekans hissed as retaliated with a Leer attack. Ekans gave a sharp gaze at McGavin, who shuddered a little bit before giving a glare right back.
"Use Peck again!" Ruben exclaimed. The Peck attack hit its mark and the wild Ekans retaliated this time with a Wrap attack. Slithering over, the wild Ekans slowly wrapped it's long, snake-like body around the small bird, squeezing tighter and tighter the more it wrapped around. Ruben decided to throw the Poke Ball now, save his Spearow and try to catch the wild Ekans off guard. In an instant, the Poke Ball was thrown, it made impact with the wild Ekans and turned the snake Pokemon into a concentrated beam of red energy; which was then sucked inside the capturing device. It landed on the ground in a small patch of dirt and began to rock.

1 shake, 2 shakes, 3 shakes...CLICK! Ekans was caught.

"Ekans' data was added to the Pokedex." Ruben's Pokedex emitted it's cry then Ruben checked his Pokedex for the data which had just come on screen.

"Ekans; the Snake Pokemon.

A very common sight in grassland, etc. It flicks its tongue in and out to sense danger in its surroundings."

"All right!" Ruben exclaimed, "Now what to name you? How about uh...Snakey?" Ruben the back of his head, "I've got nothing." He placed the Poke Ball with his others and returned back to Cerulean.

Ruben grabbed the Poke Ball, which contained his newly caught Ekans and started at the PC.
"Gee, I'm happy I caught this and all, but I don't want to use it right now." Ruben said to the Poke Ball before depositing it into the PC, "I'll pick you up later."

Ruben decided to head north of town; towards the long dock when suddenly he was stopped.
"Yo, Ruben!" a voice shouted, "You still struggling back here?" Ruben knew that voice all too well.
"Gary." Ruben replied, rather testy, "You've been well."
"Duh, you know it!" Gary exclaimed, "Let's have a battle to see how good you've really gotten!"

And so it began; Ruben's first battle against Gary since Professor Oak's Lab. He was eager, full of excitement and intensity. Gary started with his Pidegotto, Ruben countered with Evan, his Charmeleon. Pidegotto is the evolved form of Pidgey; Ruben was hopeful his Pidgey would get to evolve. Pidegotto is a much larger bird then Pidgey; identifiable by the tuft of red feathers on it's head and it's yellow and red tail feathered plumage. Mixing Ember and Metal Claw; Evan made quick work of Gary's first Pokemon. Gary decided to counter with his starter; Squirtle.

Ruben was expecting Squirtle to evolve and didn't want to risk it. So, before Squritle could launch his attack at Evan; Ruben switched and sent out Gouda. Luckily or fortunately for him, all Squirtle did was Tail Whip. Squirtle turned it's shell to Gouda and whipped it's tail back and forth at it.
"Hyper Fang!" Ruben exclaimed. Gouda bared her sharp front teeth, making contact and delivering a powerful blow to the small aqua turtle.
"Squirtle; use Water Gun!" Gary exclaimed. Squirtle opened its mouth and fired a small stream of water at Gouda, knocking it back and drenching the small purple rat with water.
"Hyper Fang!" Ruben exclaimed. Gouda once again bared her front teeth, making contact and sending Squirtle spinning around and around on the ground. Squirtle retreated into it's shell before the spinning and once the spinning stopped, poked it's head out of its shell; but it could not continue to battle as it was Knocked Out.
"Lucky!" Gary replied angrily, returning Squritle to its Poke Ball, "Time to fight fire with fire!" Gary threw his third Poke Ball, containing a Rattata of his very own.
"Rattata-on-Rattata; let's see who's rat is the top rat!" Gary stated, "Quick Attack, go!" Gary's Rattata zipped around the battlefield before giving a lunging attack into Gouda. It knocked Gouda back a bit before it got up and zipped back into place.
"Don't let him knock you around like that; counter with a Quick Attack of your own!" Ruben exclaimed. Gouda launched her own version of Quick Attack, taking a beeline approach to Gary's Rattata instead of a zigzagging pattern.

"Hyper Fang!" Gary exclaimed.
"Counter with one of your own!" Ruben replied. Both Pokemon lunged at each other, their long front teeth bared; ready to strike. However, Gouda was just a teensy bit quicker, landing hers while Gary's Rattata missed with his Hyper Fang attack.
"Finish him off with a Quick Attack!" Ruben exclaimed. Just as the two Rattata landed on the ground, Gouda zipped and slammed into Gary's Rattata; knocking it out and sending it flying.
"Ach!" Gary exclaimed, "No way!"Gary had one Pokemon left; he sighed and sent it out. Out came an Abra. Abra is a small, yellow cat-like creature with large eyes that always are closed. It assumed a sitting position, not moving, not staring. Just sitting there.
"Hyper Fang it!" Ruben exclaimed. Gouda launched yet another Hyper Fang, hitting the Abra and dealing a lot of damage.
"All it can do is Teleport!" Gary shouted angrily, "Why did I save it for last?!"
"That's a cute story Gary." Ruben replied, "But, this story's about to have an unhappy ending. Finish it off with a Quick Attack!" Gouda zipped like a purple blur, landing it's blow onto the Psychic-type Pokemon, and dealing it's third-straight KO to Gary's team. Ruben danced around and celebrated.
"Hey, don't get cocky!" Gary replied, angrily, "You just got lucky!" Gary handed something to Ruben. A small, orange device.
"That's the Fame Checker." Gary stated, "It'll tell you anything you'd want to know about a person. I don't give a hoot about others; so that thing is perfect for someone like you!"
"Smell ya later!" Gary finished, laughing and walking off.

Ruben continued north, north to the dock when he was stopped by the first Trainer, a Bug Catcher.
"Welcome to the Nugget Bridge, defeat all 5 of all Trainers to win a special prize!" he stated, 'Think you've got the stuff?" Ruben readied a Poke Ball.
"I don't think so, I KNOW so." Ruben replied calmly.

Along the way, Pi Fighter evolved! Pidgey was no more; now Ruben had a Pidegotto, just like Gary.
"Pi Fighter; you evolved!" Ruben exclaimed, tearing up slightly.
"Pidegotto!" Pi Fighter replied, crying out its name. Ruben hugged his Pokemon before returning it to its Poke Ball.

The last Trainer on the Nugget Bridge was a tall man, with shifting eyes. When Ruben stepped in front of him, the man quickly handed him a Nugget. Next thing Ruben knows; this stranger is going on a spiel about Team Rocket and why he should join them.
"Why should I?" Ruben replied.
"Because I'm going to make you an offer you can't refuse!" the stranger exclaimed.
"Ooh, like The Godfather?" Ruben replied, "I love that movie!" But, alas that wasn't going to happen. The stranger threw off his disguise to reveal his true identity; a Team Rocket Grunt. Evan made quick work of the Grunt and the Grunt slammed his fist on the ground.
"Darn it; don't let this chance go to waste!" he exclaimed, "With your power; you could easily become an important member of Team Rocket!" However, it was in one ear and out the other as Ruben walked past.

Ruben was on Route 24, with Route 25 to his immediate west. Ruben decided to stop for time being, head back to Cerulean to heal and then come back to catch his Pokemon for Route 24 and 25.

Pokemon Team:
Evan (Charmeleon; Male) Level 23
Gouda (Rattata; Female) Level 18
Pi Fighter (Pidegotto; Male) Level 18
Starlight (Clefairy; Female) Level 14
McGavin (Spearow; Male) Level 15

Pokemon on Standby:
Snakey (Ekans; Male) Level 12 [PC]

Chapter 7 - The Diving Bell and the Boat Ticket

Ruben emerged from the Cerulean City Pokemon Center and made his way back to Route 24, the Route in which the Nugget Bridge was located on. The Trainers were all defeated and Ruben descended upon the tall grass on the route to add a new Pokemon to his collection. Running around for a while, he found his encounter for the Route; an Abra.
"Wow, my luck!" Ruben exclaimed, "I found a Clefairy for my encounter in Mt. Moon and now an Abra here." Ruben tossed out his Pokemon, Evan and prepared to huck a Poke Ball at the wild Psychic Pokemon.
"Here goes nothing!" Ruben shouted, tossing the Poke Ball.

1 shake, 2 shakes, 3 shakes. CLICK! Abra was caught. Ruben picked up his newly caught Pokemon and grabbed his Pokedex to read the data on his newly caught Pokemon.

"Abra's data was added to the Pokedex." the Pokedex stated.

"Abra; the Psi Pokemon.

It sleeps for 18 hours a day. It uses a variety of extrasensory powers even while asleep."

"I'm going to name you Petrocetti!" Ruben exclaimed, "That name just came to me; it's good enough for me."

Ruben had heard from Gary that Bill, a world famous PokeManiac had his home on the cape outside of Cerulean; nestled on Route 25. As Ruben walked onto Route 25, he saw that it was infested with a whole bunch of Trainers. These Trainers must have either been from Cerulean or simply there because they heard of Bill too and wanted to see him; probably be as much as Ruben did.

The last Trainer was nestled right by the door of Bill's house. Ruben decided to knock, but heard no response. He knocked again and this time heard a voice spoke up.
"You!" the voice exclaimed, "Who knocked! Enter please and help me!" Ruben opened the door to see papers strewn all around the floor and a Clefairy sitting on the floor.
"Uh...who spoke to me to enter?" Ruben asked, glancing around the room.
"I did." the Clefairy replied. Ruben stared at the Clefairy and pointed at it.
"You did?" Ruben asked.
"You see, I'm not actually a Clefairy." the Clefairy stated, "I'm Bill; a true-blue PokeManiac."
"Sure you are." Ruben replied.
"I'm not pulling your leg!" the Clefairy replied, "I was working on my Teleporter when it went haywire and turned me into a Clefairy. I can reserve this process; but I need help from you."
"How can I help?" Ruben asked.
"There is an active application on that computer called 'Poke Teleporter'." the Clefairy stated, "When I get into the Teleporter; activate the program and the process will begin."

The Clefairy went into the open door in the Teleporter machine and Ruben walked over to the computer and activated the Teleporter program on the PC. The Teleporter emitted a flash of light and a loud beeping sound before it stopped. Out stepped the real Bill, his brown hair mussed up a bit and the collar of his light-purple colored shirt ruffled. He quickly fixed both as he stepped out of the Teleporter. Bill walked up to Ruben and shook his hand.
"Thanks for saving me man!" Bill exclaimed, "I owe you a lot!"
"Eh...it's the least I could do." Ruben replied. Bill reached for something in his pocket and pulled out a ticket.
"This is a ticket to the cruise ship; S.S. Anne." Bill stated, "It's for Trainers from all over, and they hold a huge party in every port they reach. It's currently docked in Vermilion City; to the south of here. I can't stand fancy parties; so can you go instead of me?"
"Wow; thanks." Ruben replied, taking the boat ticket and putting it into his Bag.

Ruben exited Bill's house, and raced back to Cerulean City. While there Ruben debated; should be challenge the Gym Leader now? Or, go down to Vermilion City and check out the S.S. Anne?

Pokemon Team:
"Evan" (Charmeleon; Male) Level 26
"Gouda" (Rattata; Female) Level 19
"Pi Fighter" (Pidgeotto; Male) Level 20
"Starlight" (Clefairy; Female) Level 16
"McGavin" (Spearow; Male) Level 17
"Petrocetti" (Abra; Male) Level 13

Pokemon on Standby:
"Snakey" (Ekans; Male) Level 12 [PC]

Chapter 8 - One in a Vermilion

Ruben decided to head down to Vermilion City, a city south of Cerulean. However, to get going in that direction he had to walk through a house. The outside, it seemed like it was nothing special, the roof painted in a bright cerulean blue and the windows were just recently washed and were sparkling. The blinds were however, closed; and were not letting in any light from the outside. Opening the door showed Ruben exactly why the blinds were down; the house was ransacked.

The potted plant in the corner was roughly separated from it's potted base and tossed halfway across the floor. The bookshelf against the back wall was pushed on it's side and about a dozen or so books were tossed haphazardly around, one landing in the sink and another landing on the ceiling fan. There were dirty paw prints EVERYWHERE; going up the walls, on the floor, even on the tipped over bookcase and the dining room table. One woman was quietly picking up pieces of debris while a rather large-imposing man was standing, face red from anger. Ruben quietly made his way over to him and he began to speak.

"You have to help me kid; I was robbed!" the man said.
"Robbed?" Ruben asked, "Of what?"
"A TM. A very valuable TM." the man replied, "A TM teaching the move Dig."
"Dig? Is that any good?" Ruben asked again.
"Kid, what part of 'very valuable' did you not understand." the man said. He then pointed to rather large hole in the back wall, next to the overturned bookshelf.
"The robber left through this hole he created." he said, "Follow that hole and see if you can find him. He couldn't have gotten really far." Ruben did as instructed and was immediately greeted by another Team Rocket grunt.
"If only this man had a window on his back wall; he'd have certainly seen you here; camping." Ruben said to the Grunt.
"Camping?" the Grunt replied, "Kid this ain't a first person shooter."
"Did you steal the TM?" Ruben asked.
"I'm an innocent bystander; don't you believe me?" the Grunt said, pulling out a Poke Ball.

Ruben was thrust into a battle with the Grunt and beat him cleanly. The Grunt dropped the TM.
"I didn't even want the TM; I need to get out of here!" the Grunt exclaimed and he was off like a shot. Ruben picked up the TM and walked back into the house. He showed the man the TM, but he just simply sighed.
"Well...what's lost is lost." he said, "I guess I can teach Diglett Dig without the need for the TM!" Ruben just shrugged, put the TM in his Bag and walked back the way he came from.

The Route to the South of Cerulean had grass and Ruben performed the next dance in the Nuzlocke ritual; and encountered a wild Meowth. Meowth is small beige colored pussycat with a brown tail, curled up like a cinnamon roll. The Meowth took it's fighting stance, bearing it's claws and hissing before retracting its claws and groom itself with its paw.
"Go, Starlight!" Ruben exclaimed, "Use Secret Power!" Clefairy took its fighting stance and darted over to the Meowth before slapping it with its hand. The Meowth countered with a Scratch attack, nailing Clefairy and sending the pink Fairy Pokemon skidding back a bit before dusting itself off.
"Pound attack!" Ruben exclaimed. Clefairy gave the Meowth another slap, this time weaker as Ruben readied a Poke Ball. The Meowth countered with Growl. The wild Meowth bared its claws, opened its mouth and emitted a loud growl.
''Poke Ball, go!" Ruben shouted, tossing a Poke Ball. The wild Meowth got turned into red energy encapsulated in the Poke Ball. The Poke Ball fell to the groud and began to shake.

1 shake, 2 shakes, 3 shakes. CLICK! Meowth was caught! Ruben picked up the Poke Ball, then reached for his Pokedex.

"Meowth's data was added to the Pokedex." the Pokedex emitted before showing Meowth's data.

"Meowth, the Scratch Cat Pokemon

All it does is sleep during the daytime. At night, it patrols its territory with its eyes aglow."

"I'm going to nickname you Penfold, a cute name for a cute little kitty!" Ruben said. The Poke Ball then disappeared from his hand. He decided to check his Pokedex to see if it has any information as to why it disappeared.

"A Trainer can only have 6 Pokemon at a time on their team, any extra-caught Pokemon are transported to the PC System." the Pokedex stated. Ruben continued his way, eventually reaching an Underground Passage. Taking it, he eventually made it to Route 6, just north of Vermilion. Trying to sneak stealthily, he was approached by a Bug Catcher.

"I've got a good Pokemon here, check it out!" he exclaimed, revealing a Butterfree. Ruben countered with McGavin.
"This should be a piece of cake; Flying destroys Bug!" Ruben said to himself, confidently.

Ruben however, watched in horror as the Butterfree mercilessly destroyed his Spearow, using a Confusion attack to land the crushing blow.
"Spearow, no!" Ruben exclaimed. Spearow, had fainted. The first death of the Nuzlocke for Ruben. Ruben sent out Evan in retaliation, using an Ember to clinch it.
"Ember, do it for McGavin!" Ruben exclaimed. The Ember attack sent Butterfree spiraling to the ground; Knocked Out. Ruben returned Evan to his Poke Ball and walked on; without saying a word.

Ruben's encounter for Route 6 was already a Meowth, but he decided to encounter another wild Pokemon; another Meowth. Gouda was sent out, and used Hyper Fang. Nailing a weak spot, the Hyper Fang attack did a lot of damage. Meowth used Tail Whip, turning its back to Gouda and whipped its tail back and forth. Gouda was going to have nothing of it; she used Quick Attack to end it. The wild Meowth fainted, and Gouda suddenly was enveloped in a bright, white light; Gouda was evolved. Gouda became bipedal, standing on its back feet. Her purple fur became a beige color and the white stomach fur became a little duller and messier.
"Raticate!" Gouda exclaimed. Ruben's eyes brightened as he reached for his Pokedex.

"Raticate; the Mouse Pokemon.

Its rear feet have three toes each. They are webbed, enabling it to swim across rivers."
the Pokedex stated. Ruben then looked at his Pokedex.

"Let's see the data for Charmeleon while we're at it." Ruben said. Punching a few buttons, Charmeleon's data came up.

"Charmeleon; the Flame Pokemon.

It lashes about with its tail to knock down its foe. It then tears up the fallen opponent with sharp claws. "
the Pokedex stated.

"And Pidgeotto." Ruben said, punching another combination into the Pokedex.

"Pidgeotto; the Bird Pokemon.

The claws on its feet are well developed. It can carry prey such as an EXEGGCUTE to its nest over 60 miles away."
the Pokedex stated. Ruben returned Gouda to her Poke Ball and his Pokedex to his Bag.

He was approached by two Trainers, blocking his path. Defeating them both; his Abra evolved. Kadabra was bigger, it had a large tail and a star on the top of its forehead. It was now holding a silver spoon; bent slightly. Ruben checked his Pokedex for Kadabra's data.

"Kadabra; the Psi Pokemon.

It happened one morning - a boy with extrasensory powers awoke in bed transformed into KADABRA."
Ruben stared at the Pokedex entry and shuddered.

"Geez, that was pretty dark." Ruben said, returning Petrocetti to his Poke Ball, his Pokedex to his Bag once again and reached Vermilion City. Upon reaching the Pokemon Center, he had to dispose of McGavin, and placed it in a separate Box.
"Rest in Peace, McGavin; you gave it one heck of a shot." Ruben said softly. Ruben just sat down on a chair in the Pokemon Center. He wanted to gather his thoughts before continuing. His thoughts on the friend he lost so suddenly.

Pokemon Team:
"Evan" (Charmeleon; Male) Level 27
"Gouda" (Raticate; Female) Level 20
"Pi Fighter" (Pidegotto; Male) Level 21
"Starlight" (Clefairy; Female) Level 17
"Petrocetti" (Kadabra; Male) Level 16
"Penfold" (Meowth; Female) Level 14

Pokemon on Stand-By:

Nuzlocke Deaths:
"McGavin" (Spearow; Male) Level 18 [Fainted to Bug Catcher Elijah's Butterfree]

Chapter 9 - A Ruben Sandwich with a slice of Cherry Pie

Vermilion City is a city bathed in orange year round. Nestled alongside the sea, the waves gently rocking the coastline and the boats docked in its large shipyard. Ruben was still in the Pokemon Center when someone came in holding a small white device.

"You know what this is?" the person asked, showing Ruben the device.
"No," Ruben replied, "What is it?"
"It's called a Versus Seeker." the person stated, "Using this device will allow you to battle a Trainer you fought previously."
"Wow, neat." Ruben said. The person handed the device to Ruben and walked out the door of the Pokemon Center.

Ruben exited the Pokemon Center shortly after and entered the house right next to the Pokemon Center. In there was an old man, dressed in a fisherman's garb.
"You there!" he exclaimed, "Do you like to fish?"
"Uh, yeah." Ruben replied, "I do!" The man then grabbed an old, somewhat ratty fishing rod. He handed it to Ruben.
"What I just gave you was an Old Rod, it's a fishing rod that allows you to catch Pokemon by the sea." the old man stated, "You can also use it to fish in rivers, streams and ponds!" Ruben smiled as he took the fishing rod with him out of the building.

Deciding to give the rod a try, he flicked the rod back and cast the lure into the sea. Within a few seconds the line tugged and Ruben heaved backwards the snagged fish.

"Magikarp!"

Ruben was thrust into a battle with a wild Magikarp. Magikarp is a orange coyfish-like Pokemon, with identifiable long fins and whiskers. All the Magikarp could do was splash around, bouncing in a small pond of pooling water. Ruben tossed out Penfold to counter. Instead of launching an attack, he just tossed the Poke Ball.

1 shake, 2 shakes, 3 shakes. CLICK! Magikarp was caught!

The Poke Ball disappeared in a bright flash of light as Ruben checked his Pokedex for the data.

"Magikarp's data was added to the Pokedex." the Pokedex stated, then flashing the data on screen.

"Magikarp, the Fish Pokemon.

It is virtually worthless in terms of both power and speed. It is the most weak and pathetic POKéMON in the world."

"A good nickname for you is Patience." he said, punching in a name in his Pokedex.

Ruben then saw a large ship docked in the shipyard; beckoning him to come closer. As he approached the entrance to the ship, he was stopped by a muscular sailor.

"Stop!" he shouted, "Do you have a ticket to board the ship?" Ruben rummaged for the ticket given to him by Bill. The sailor scanned the ticket before handing it back to Ruben.
"Ah, Mr. Bill!" the sailor exclaimed, "Welcome aboard! I thought you said you weren't coming!" Ruben chuckled to himself.
"Yeah, well...I had a change of heart..." Ruben replied. The sailor pointed to the ship's entrance.
"Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay!" the sailor stated as Ruben walked past.

Ruben was set upon by multiple Trainers, all seemingly bored while the ship remained docked in Vermilion. Talking to a few guests in their rooms said that the Captain of the ship was currently fighting a case of seasickness.
"Clearly, this man forgot to take his Dramamine..." Ruben said to himself.

As Ruben approached the Captain's Room he heard that grating, familiar voice.
"Bonjour Ruben! I didn't expect to see you here!" Ruben glared as he saw Gary strolling up towards him.
"So, how've you been doing so far?" Gary asked, "I've already caught 40 kinds of Pokemon. They scuttle about everywhere and I found 'em."

Gary started with his Pidegotto while Ruben countered with Gouda. Gouda began to slowly lay waste to Gary's team. Her Hyper Fang attack made Gary's Pidegotto and Kadabra a breeze. Gary's third Pokemon was a Raticate of his very own.
"This is just like our battle on the Nugget Bridge," Ruben said, "And it's going to have the same result too. Gouda, Hyper Fang!" Gouda lept into the air biting down hard onto Gary's Raticate. Gary's Raticate countered with a Tackle, launching itself into Gouda's stomach; sending it skidding backwards on the carpeted floor of the ship. Gouda launched a Quick Attack, KO'ing Gary's Raticate. Gary had only one Pokemon left; his starter, Wartortle.

"Hyper Fang!" Ruben exclaimed.
"Counter with a Withdraw!" Gary exclaimed. Gouda bit down hard on Wartortle. Wartortle ducked its head into its shell, but after Gouda's attack made contact.

"Tackle!" Ruben commanded.
"Water Gun!" Gary commanded back. Gouda launched her Tackle attack, bouncing the small sea turtle backwards. Wartortle regained its balance and fired a small stream of water from its mouth, dousing the rat in water. Gouda shimmied herself dry.

Both Gouda and Wartortle were panting, the next attack would end it.
"Hyper Fang!" Ruben exclaimed.
"Withdraw!" Gary exclaimed. Gouda's large teeth bit down hard, making powerful contact on the water turtle. Wartortle spun backwards, retreating into its shell before popping back out; Knocked Out.
"No!" Gary exclaimed, "How did I lose to you?!" Ruben ran up to and hugged his Raticate; with Raticate giving a cry of approval.

"Anyways, I met the Captain of this ship, hearing he was a Cut Master." Gary stated, "But he's a seasick old man! Cut's a useful HM; so it's worth your time to help him. It's what you're best at!"
"Smell ya later!" Gary replied, walking off and laughing.

Ruben made his way up the steps to the Captain's Quarters. He saw the Captain, slumped over a trash can in his room.
"Yarr...a man of the sea am I. As sick as a dog am I." the Captain said, "A miserable man of the sea am I." Ruben walked over and began to rub his back...for some reason that Ruben wasn't quite sure of. The back rub made the Captain feel better. He turned around to face Ruben.
"Yah'arr...thanks matey!" the Captain exclaimed. "I was feeling as sick as a dog; but you made me feel better!" He reached for a small disc on his table.
"Here." the Captain stated, "It's dangerous to go alone; take this." Ruben took the disc from the Captain. Staring at it, he then asked.
"What's this?" Ruben asked.
"It's the HM for the move Cut." the Captain stated, "With this you'll be able to cut down any small tree blocking your path; but you need to have the Badge from Cerulean City to be able to use it." Ruben then gasped; remembering he needed to go back to Cerulean to beat the Gym Leader there.
"Thanks for the assistance matey!" the Captain exclaimed, "Now we can finally set sail!"

Ruben made his way back to the entrance. Leaving, the ship blared its foghorn and slowly lurched its way away from the dock. Ruben stared as the ship slowly got further and further away, before it vanished off the horizon. He left the shipyard dock and made his way back to the Vermilion Pokemon Center to heal. Ruben wanted to go back to Cerulean to beat the Gym Leader there now; but he also wanted to explore Vermilion more. He sat in the Pokemon Center; pondering his next move.

Pokemon Team:
"Evan" (Charmeleon; Male) Level 28
"Gouda" (Raticate; Female) Level 22
"Pi Fighter" (Pidegotto; Male) Level 23
"Starlight" (Clefairy; Female) Level 18
"Petrocetti" (Kadabra; Male) Level 19
"Penfold" (Meowth; Female) Level 15

Pokemon on Stand-By:
"Patience" (Magikarp; Male) Level 5 [PC]

Nuzlocke Deaths:

(Author's Note: The S.S Anne Captain in this Chapter was clearly inspired by the Sea Captain from The Simpsons.)

Chapter 10 - Hans Goes Home to be a Family Moleman

Ruben decided to wander around Vermilion City before he found a large cave entrance at the outskirts of town. Wandering inside, a man told him that the cave he was in was called Diglett's Cave. Taking the ladder down to the lower level, he found the reason why it was called Diglett's Cave. He encountered a wild Diglett.

Diglett was a small brown mole-like creature with a large, identifiable red nose. Ruben sent out Evan, who used an Ember attack. Evan fired a few small embers, which made contact with the Mole Pokemon. To counter, the Diglett quickly snapped its head underground.

"Uh-oh. That's not good!" Ruben exclaimed, "Evan return; go Pi Fighter!" Ruben returned Evan to his Poke Ball and sent out his Pidgeotto. The reason why Ruben was worried was that the wild Diglett used Dig; a powerful Ground-type move. It's a two-turn attack, the first turn being the burrowing underground and the second turn being the actual attack. Since Pidgeotto was part Flying-type, it owned the type advantage over Diglett and its Dig attack failed.

"Tackle it!" Ruben exclaimed. Pidgeotto launched itself into the small mole and Ruben readied a Poke Ball. Diglett countered with a Scratch attack. Diglett...somehow...used Scratch; dealing damage.
"Poke Ball go!" Ruben exclaimed, tossing the Poke Ball; encapsulating the Diglett in red energy. The Ball hit the ground of the cave with a small thud and began to rock.

1 shake, 2 shakes, 3 shakes. CLICK! Diglett was caught. The Poke Ball containing Diglett disappeared in a flash of light. Ruben checked his Pokedex as the Pokedex emitted it's "new data" cry; "Diglett's data was added to the Pokedex."

"Diglett; the Mole Pokemon.

It burrows through the ground at a shallow depth. It leaves raised earth in its wake, making it easy to spot."

"A perfect nickname for you is Hans." Ruben said, inputting a combination into the Pokedex.

Ruben retreated from the cave, healed up and decided to add Hans to the team; giving Starlight a break for a while. He tossed a coin to decide whether to face the Vermilion City Gym Leader or the Cerulean City Gym Leader. Heads for Vermilion, Tails for Cerulean. The coin was flipped and came up Tails.
"To Cerulean!" Ruben exclaimed.

Ruben entered the Cerulean City Gym. The smell of chlorine hit him immediately and assailed his nostrils with the smell of the sea. Defeating the two Trainers in the Gym showed Ruben that he was going to face Water-type Pokemon. He approached the Gym Leader.
"Hi, my name is Misty!" Misty stated, "I'm a pro when it comes to Water-type Pokemon and I'm the Cerulean City Gym Leader."
"Want to beat me?" she continued, "Then you need to beat me! Let's go!"

Misty, the Cerulean City Gym Leader was dressed in a sleek navy blue one-piece swimsuit, her bright orange hair tied up in a ponytail. She tossed out her first Pokemon; a Staryu. Stary was a brown starfish Pokemon, identifiable with its large, bright red core.
"Go Gouda!" Ruben exclaimed, "Hyper Fang!" Gouda jumped into the air, bared it's large fangs and bit down deeply into the Starfish. Gouda released it from her teethed grasp and Staryu slid backwards a bit.
"Water Pulse!" Misty exclaimed. Staryu fired a few large circular rings of water at Gouda, each making contact. Gouda shimmied herself dry and took a fighting stance again.
"Hyper Fang once more!" Ruben exclaimed. Gouda's Hyper Fang mashed the weak spot and Knocked Out the Starfish.
"Return Staryu," Misty said, "Go, Starmie!" Misty tossed her second Pokemon out. Her ace-in-the-hole; Starmie.

Starmie is the evolution of Staryu. Bigger, with more appendages. It's colored purple instead of brown. Its center core is larger, more defined and brighter.
"Hyper Fang!" Ruben exclaimed. Hyper Fang hit the weak spot. Misty gritted her teeth.
"Water Pulse!" Misty exclaimed. Like Staryu, Starmie fired the same water rings at Gouda; dealing a lot more damage and skidding the brown rat into the pool. Gouda furiously flailed before getting out of the pool; shimmying herself dry.
"Hyper Fang!" Ruben exclaimed, "Don't give up!"
"Water Pulse!" Misty commanded. However, Starmie would not get the chance to use Water Pulse. Gouda's Hyper Fang scored a Critical Hit and Gouda had just soloed Misty. Misty sighed as she returned Starmie to its Poke Ball.
"Wow, you beat totally beat me!" she exclaimed. She showed Ruben the Cascade Badge, a small, blue, teardrop-shaped Badge.
"That's the Cascade Badge!" Misty stated, "You can use Cut outside of battle, and any Pokemon up to Level 30 will obey you without question!" She then showed Ruben a blue-colored CD.
"That's TM03; Water Pulse." Misty stated, "It can cause Confusion if it hits; use it on an aquatic Pokemon!" Ruben took the CD and the Badge and made his way out of the Gym; stopping by the Cerulean City Pokemon Center to heal. After healing, he made his way back down to Vermilion.

----

Going back to Vermilion, Ruben encountered a cut tree blocking his path. He sent out Penfold; which he taught Cut to. Penfold bared her sharp claws and tore through the cut tree; like a hot knife through butter. The tree vanished and Ruben was able to get into the Vermilion City Gym.

The Vermilion City Pokemon Gym was loaded with a bunch of trash bins. A few Trainers, but it was mostly trash bins. Inside two of them were small switches. The Gym Guide said that the two switches would be right next to each other, but they could be any of the trash bins in the vicinity of the first one. After beating the Trainers and healing, Ruben made his uninterrupted Minesweeper homage and cracked the code. The two large electric gate beams turned off; allowing Ruben to meet the Gym Leader of Vermilion; Lt. Surge.

Lt. Surge was a large, imposing man. Big biceps, big sunglasses, big jaw. Sharply styled blonde hair.
"You kid!" Surge exclaimed, "Whaddya think ya doing here?"
"I came here to battle you!" Ruben exclaimed, intimidated by Surge's physical presence. Surge gave a loud guffaw.
"You won't last long in combat kid!" Surge replied, "I'll zap you like I did to my enemies in the war!"

"FINAL ROUND; FIGHT!" came over the speakers and Surge turned on his boombox; playing Guile's Theme from Street Fighter. Surge scowled as he sent out his first Pokemon.
"Nyeh...go Pikachu!" Surge exclaimed. Pikachu, a Pokemon Ruben really wanted in Viridian Forest but was unable to find. Identifiable with its lightning-bolt shaped tail and its bright-red cheeks, it gave a cute little cry and Ruben sent out his Pokemon; Diglett.
"Hans!" Ruben exclaimed, "Dig attack!" Hans burrowed underground, Pikachu couldn't hit him and the second turn Hans made impact, delivering a knockout blow in one shot.
"Nyeh...how could Pikachu lose?!" Surge exclaimed, returning Pikachu and sending out his second Pokemon; Voltorb. Voltorb was a small, orb-like Pokemon. Clearly a mutated Poke Ball, the markings of a regular Poke Ball are not there; instead replaced by a pair of angry eyes and a small scowl.
"Nyeh...Voltorb..." Surge shouted, "Use Sonicboom!"
"SONIC BOOM!" came over the loud speaker. Voltorb fired a small burst of wind energy, smacking into Diglett.
"Hans! Magnitude!" Ruben exclaimed. Hans ducked his head into the ground and the ground started to shake.
"MAGNITUDE 8!" the loud speaker exclaimed. The ground around Voltorb shook violently, causing the ball Pokemon to bounce up and down, eventually coming to rest upside down and Knocked Out.
"2 Pokemon defeated in 2 attacks?!" Surge shouted, "Nyeh...what gives?!"
"Nyehrrr...time to use my ace in the hole; go Raichu!" Surge sent out his final Pokemon; his Raichu. Raichu is the evolved form of Pikachu. It's lightning bolt-shaped tail has become long and slender with a large lightning-bolt shaped tip. It traded in its bright yellow color scheme for a bright orange and its red cheeks became yellow and it also got brown tipped hands and feet.
"Give 'em the ol' Double Team trick!" Surge commanded. Raichu used Double Team and encircled Diglett.
"Magnitude; again!" Ruben exclaimed.
"MAGNITUDE 5!" the loud speaker exclaimed. This second Magnitude didn't do as much, but rocked the ground and caused the fake Raichu copies to dissipate and reveal the real one.
"Nyehrrrr...give 'em a Quick Attack...attack!" Surge commanded. Raichu zipped around the battlefield like a bright orange streak, smacking into Hans and dealing damage.
"One more Magnitude!" Ruben exclaimed. Hans burrowed his way underground once more and the ground began to shake.
"MAGNITUDE 10!" the loud speaker exclaimed. The ground began to rock violently, splitting open and thrusting Raichu high into the air. Raichu came down with a thud. As it got up, it proceeded to get knocked senseless by the violent seismic activity and proceeded to faint.
"YOU WIN!" the loud speaker exclaimed as the music stopped. Surge wiped the sweat of his brow before handing Ruben the Thunder Badge. The Thunder Badge was a large, vermilion colored gem, encircled by a sun-like pattern.
"You just got the Dunda...I mean Thunder Badge." Surge stated, "You can use Fly outside of battle and take this TM!" Surge handed Ruben a yellow-colored CD.
"That's TM35; Shock Wave!" Surge added, "It's a powerful Electric-type move that never misses!"
"Now go home and be a family man!" Surge finished, giving a loud guffaw and Ruben a powerful slap on the back. Ruben smiled, laughed a little bit as he rubbed his back to soothe the pain and he made his way outside of the Gym; Surge still laughing.

Pokemon Team:
"Evan" (Charmeleon; Male) Level 29
"Gouda" (Raticate; Female) Level 24
"Pi Fighter" (Pidegotto; Male) Level 23
"Petrocetti" (Kadabra; Male) Level 20
"Penfold" (Meowth; Female) Level 15
"Hans" (Diglett; Male) Level 24

Pokemon on Stand-By:
"Starlight" (Clefairy; Female) Level 18 [PC]

Nuzlocke Deaths:

Author's Notes:
1) Lt. Surge being like Guile and using his battle theme is just a nice little in-joke to the fact of Surge's HG/SS sprite looking a lot like Guile from Street Fighter.
2) Hans the Diglett; was named after elderly Springfieldian Hans Moleman from The Simpsons.
3) The Title is a reference to a line spoken by Guile to an opponent he beat; "Go Home and be a Family Man!"
4) Original Draft title was "Moleman. Hans Moleman.", a reference to the James Bond movie series; being Bond's catchphrase. (Bond. James Bond.)
5) Surge speaking like Rocky Balboa was me trying to have fun with his dubbed voice.

Chapter 11 - I'm Getting Tunnel Vision

Ruben, with his shiny new Thunder Badge in his possession, navigated his way out of Vermilion and back up to Cerulean City. To the east of the outskirts of town was a small Cut bush. Sending out Penfold, he cut the tree down and found himself on Route 9.

Route 9 was very rocky and mountainous with the Trainers being Campers, Picknickers and the burly Hikers. The Trainers were all relatively easy for Ruben, giving his Pokemon valuable Experience. Ruben decided to wade through the grass and try to encounter his Pokemon for the Route. His encounter for Route 9 was a Voltorb.

Voltorb was a small ball-shaped Pokemon, identified by it's red top. Voltorb appears to be a Poke Ball that underwent some kind of transformation to become a Pokemon.
"Go Penfold!" Ruben exclaimed, sending out his Pokemon. Penfold bared her claws, gave out a meow and took a fighting stance. Voltorb decided to lead with a Tackle attack. It rolled on the ground before landing a blow to the small cat Pokemon. Penfold countered with a Scratch attack, scratching the surface of the Voltorb and dealing damage. The next turn Voltorb decided to use an attack called Charge. Voltorb glowed yellow and became enveloped in static electricity before suddenly stopping.
"Bite attack!" Ruben exclaimed. Penfold bared her fangs and bit into the ball Pokemon. Ruben readied a Poke Ball and threw it at the Ball-like Pokemon.

1 shake, 2 shakes, 3 shakes...CLICK! Voltorb was caught. The Poke Ball vanished as Ruben checked his Pokedex for the data.

"Voltorb's data was added to the Pokedex." the Pokedex stated, flashing the data for Voltorb on screen.

"Voltorb, the Ball Pokemon.

A life-form whose identity is unknown. It is said to SCREECH or suddenly SELFDESTRUCT."

"All right, a nickname for you; how about I call you Bombball?" Ruben said to himself.

Ruben found a Pokemon Center nestled right at the foot of the cave. The cave was called Rock Tunnel as Ruben found out by checking his Map. Deciding to use the time to heal, he did a quick check of his team. Deciding to keep the team the way it was, he left the Pokemon Center for the cave that was beckoning him.

Rock Tunnel was dark, really dark. However, Ruben was constantly enveloped in a bright circle, rendering a small path for Ruben to see. It was tough, but Ruben made his way through the cave; navigating the cave rather slowly though. The cave was teeming with PokeManiacs, young guys with rather rare Pokemon. Pokemon like Cubone and Slowpoke. Cubone was a small Pokemon, with a large skull on it's head and a femur bone in its hand. Slowpoke was a pink Pokemon, with a long, slender tail; colored white at the tip. Slowpoke consistently has a vacant expression on its face.

Ruben's encounter for Rock Tunnel was Zubat. A blue bat with purple wings; no eyes but an open mouth with a pair of long fangs. The battle was quick, the capture attempt was effortless.

1 shake...2 shakes...3shakes...CLICK! Zubat was caught. The Poke Ball vanished.

"Zubat's data was added to the Pokedex." the Pokedex stated. Ruben checked the data for Zubat on his Pokedex.

"Zubat, the Bat Pokemon.

It has no eyes. Instead, it relies on its ultrasonic cries for echo location to flit about in darkness."
the Pokedex stated.

"A nickname for you...let's see..." Ruben said, "How about Bluebat?"

There were a lot of Hikers in this cave, using Geodude and Onix; Pokemon that Ruben was familiar with dealing with. However, a newer Pokemon used by the Hikers was Machop; which was a small aqua-blue colored Pokemon with large muscles. However, Petrocetti and Pi Fighter made quick work of the new foe.

Ruben, after some trials and lots of random encounters; made his way out of the cave. The next town, Lavender beckoned him. He slipped his way around the Trainers gathered by the exit of the cave; he'd be back to face them later. Ruben made his way to the Pokemon Center, healed up and fought the Trainers outside of Rock Tunnel. After the last Trainer was defeated; Hans the Diglett evolved. Evolved into Dugtrio.

Dugtrio was a brown mole creature like Diglett. However, there were three Diglett to make up a Dugtrio; making Dugtrio like a Diglett posse. Ruben checked his Pokedex for the data on his newly evolved Pokemon.

"Dugtrio, the Mole Pokemon.

In battle, it digs through the ground and strikes the unsuspecting foe from an unexpected direction."
Ruben smiled as he returned Hans to his Poke Ball and made his way back to Lavender Town.

Lavender Town was a somber town, painted all in purple. The largest building in town was the Pokemon Tower were Pokemon were laid to rest. Ruben frowned and held back tears remembering his Spearow that he lost outside of Vermilion. There was a small building near the foot of the Tower that was the home of a Mr. Fuji. Ruben found this out by talking to the children in the home; playing with some Pokemon. Ruben found out that the Pokemon currently residing there were abandoned and Mr. Fuji decided to give them a home and take care of them. Entering another house and talking with a woman who lived there said Team Rocket had killed a Marowak. He was told that all Cubone are orphans and wear the skulls of their dead mothers. Ruben shuddered at the thought.

"Team Rocket killed that poor Marowak; they need to be taught a lesson." Ruben said to himself. Ruben left the home and decided to go to the Pokemon Center to rest up, look over his team and decide what to do next.

Pokemon Team:
"Evan" (Charmeleon; Male) Level 31
"Gouda" (Raticate; Female) Level 25
"Pi Fighter" (Pidegotto; Male) Level 24
"Petrocetti" (Kadabra; Male) Level 24
"Penfold" (Meowth; Female) Level 16
"Hans" (Dugtrio; Male) Level 28

Pokemon on Stand-By:
"Bombball" (Voltorb; Genderless) Level 14 [PC]
"Bluebat" (Zubat; Male) Level 16 [PC]

Nuzlocke Deaths:

(Author's Notes: HM05 Flash; forever useless. I've used Flash in Rock Tunnel maybe once or twice, back when I was really young. I can navigate the cave no problem without Flash; especially in R/B/Y. At least Defog in Sinnoh was more useful IMO...
- Also, forgot to add my capture for Rock Tunnel, had to edit it in.)

Last edited:
Chapter 12 - Mass Graveyard? Let's Turn it into a Radio Tower!

Lavender Town is a somber town, bathed in a dull purple. It is the graveyard for Pokemon in the Kanto region with Pokemon being put to rest in the Pokemon Tower on an almost daily basis. Most of these deaths amount to old age or some nasty injuries that never properly healed. Talking with the people within the Tower, they expressed their grief over losing their beloved Pokemon.

Making his way to the second floor he saw Gary there, waiting for him. Talking about how his Pokemon weren't dead, but he could at least make them faint and a battle quickly begun. Ruben noticed that his Raticate was no where to be seen in his party. Talking about death being in the Pokemon Tower and no Raticate made Ruben assume the unthinkable; but quickly realized that he probably just got rid of his Raticate; whether he boxed it, released it or simply traded it away to an unknown NPC. Gary's team had his Pidgeotto, his Kadabra and his starter; being Wartortle. Joining the ranks of Gary's team were an Exeggcute; a group of pink seeds resembling eggs and a Growlithe. Growlithe was a small puppy-like creature with a scruffy beige mane and sleek orange fur with a black slash pattern on it.

However, the battle went by relatively easily, and Gary lost. He said that he was in the Pokemon Tower to catch a Cubone; which he did. He was looking for Cubone's evolution; Marowak. But Marowak were nowhere to be seen within the Tower. He decided it was not worth it anymore and he left the Tower to pursue his goals of being the best Pokemon Trainer ever.
"Smell you later!" Gary exclaimed, laughing and heading down to the ground floor of the tower.

Ruben decided to go up the next flight of stairs and was greeted by an unfriendly face. He was suddenly beset upon by a ghost, an apparition. It had no physical form, but for some reason emitted a cry that sounded like a Pokemon. The Ghost was just simply purple mist formed in the shape of a generic form.
"Get out...get out..." the Ghost simply said. Just the sight of the Ghost turned Evan, who was tough as nails into a scared shell of himself; shivering and trembling with fear.

Ruben decided to flee, flee the Tower until he had something in his possession to conquer these so-called "invincible" Ghosts that haunt the Tower.

Pokemon Team:
"Evan" (Charmeleon; Male) Level 32
"Gouda" (Raticate; Female) Level 27
"Pi Fighter" (Pidegotto; Male) Level 25
"Petrocetti" (Kadabra; Male) Level 26
"Penfold" (Meowth; Female) Level 16
"Hans" (Dugtrio; Male) Level 28

Pokemon on Stand-By:

Nuzlocke Deaths:

(Author's Notes: I still technically have my encounter for Pokemon Tower because you cannot battle, nor catch any Ghosts until you obtain the Silph Scope. Also, sorry for the really short chapter; I promise Chapter 13 will be longer.)

Chapter 13 - I'm a Rambling Gambling Man

Deciding that staying in Lavender Town was pointless at this point in time due to there being no way to get further in the Pokemon Tower what with its "invincible" Ghosts. A few people in town said an item called a Silph Scope can be used to identify these Ghosts and make them be able to be caught and/or battled. Ruben decided to west from town; he'd run upon the Silph Scope eventually.

There were a few Trainers; one dressed in a silk robe; clutching two Poke Balls in one hand and cup full of dice in the other.
"I'm a rambling gaming dude!" the man exclaimed, suddenly thrusting Ruben into battle. The man's first Pokemon was a Growlithe; easily dispatched by Petrocetti the Kadabra. The man's second Pokemon was a Vulpix. Vulpix are orange-colored foxes with six curled orange tails. Vulpix stared at Kadabra with his bright grey-brown eyes and emitted a cry before taking a fighting stance.
"Petrocetti! Psybeam!" Ruben exclaimed. Petrocetti placed its silver spoon in front of its face and closed it's eyes. A multicolored beam of psychic energy came from the center of the spoon and struck the Vulpix; bathing it in the same multicolored beam effect. Vulpix countered with Tail Whip. Turning it's back to Petrocetti, it waved it's behind back and forth at Kadabra. Petrocetti simply countered with another Psybeam and the small orange fox Pokemon was defeated.

After defeating the man, Ruben cut down a small bush and decided to find a wild Pokemon. He was beset upon by a wild Growlithe. The small puppy barked and snarled as it took a fighting stance. The wild Growlithe slowly stroked his paw as it waited for Ruben, who sent out his Petrocetti.
"All right; give 'em a Confusion attack!" Ruben exclaimed. Petrocetti lifted it's spoon and sent a weak beam of psychic energy; hitting and striking the small orange fire puppy. The wild Growlithe countered with a Bite attack. It darted over towards the Psychic Pokemon and quickly took a bite at the base of its tail. Petrocetti cringed as it wildly flung its tail back and forth; eventually prying the wild Growlithe free. Growlithe slid on the ground and got back up, snarling. Ruben decided to toss a Poke Ball; he did not like what that wild Growlithe was going to eventually do.
"Poke Ball go!" Ruben exclaimed. The Poke Ball encapsulated the wild Growlithe and fell onto the ground and began to rock.

1 shake, 2 shakes, 3 shakes...CLICK! Growlithe was caught. The Poke Ball disappeared as Ruben's Pokedex exclaimed.
"Growlithe's data was added to the Pokedex." Ruben checked his Pokedex to see Growlithe's data.

"Growlithe, the Puppy Pokemon.

Very friendly and faithful to people. It will try to repel enemies by barking and biting."

"A good nickname for you would be Firestone!" Ruben exclaimed, punching a combination into the Pokedex.

Escaping the small pit of grass; he descended upon a Biker. The Bikers are rather scary, intimidating people riding large motorcycles. They like to use Poison-type Pokemon like Grimer and Koffing. Grimer are animated piles of purple sludge and Koffing are small purple spheres with noxious gases swirling inside its body. The gases allow Koffing to obtain a form of levitation. However, they were weak to Psychic-types and Petrocetti being a Psychic type made short work of them.

Ruben found a gate at the western-most edge of the Route and decided to walk through it. However, a weak-looking guard slammed a cane down onto the table.
"Oooh...I'm so thirsty!" he exclaimed, "Do you have anything for me to drink?"
"Uh...no...I don't." Ruben replied. The guard shook his head and slammed the cane down again.
"Then you cannot pass until you get me a drink!" the guard exclaimed.
"Where would I get something for you?" Ruben asked.
"In Celadon City; there's a place where you can get something." the guard stated, "All you need to do...is show the drink to any of the guards...and you'll be allowed to pass..."
"Until then, please leave..." the guard finished, "Ohh, I'm SO thirsty!"

Ruben sighed as he backed his way out of the gate and back onto Route 8. There was a small building just a few steps away. Entering it Ruben went downstairs and found an Underground Passage. Taking the path eventually leading to another building at the foot of Celadon City; the same city the thirsty guard said.

Celadon was a large metropolis; bathed in a rainbow of colors. It'd take a large amount of time just to explore all of the city and Ruben wanted to heal before he began exploring.

Entering the Pokemon Center and having his Pokemon healed, he decided to take a short rest before he would do any exploring of Celadon City.

Pokemon Team:
"Evan" (Charmeleon; Male) Level 34
"Gouda" (Raticate; Female) Level 29
"Pi Fighter" (Pidegotto; Male) Level 27
"Petrocetti" (Kadabra; Male) Level 29
"Penfold" (Meowth; Female) Level 17
"Hans" (Dugtrio; Male) Level 29

Pokemon on Stand-By:
"Firestone" (Growlithe; Female) Level 17 [PC]

Nuzlocke Deaths:

(Author's Note: The title of this Chapter is verbatim the line spoken by the Trainer battled at the beginning of the chapter. In FR/LG, their line was changed; substiuting 'gaming' for 'gambling' kind of ruining the sentence. Their Trainer Class was also reclassified to 'Gamer' from 'Gambler in FR/LG.)

Chapter 14 - Slots? Ain't Nobody Got Time For That!

Celadon City was one of the biggest city in the Kanto region; perhaps the biggest. Ruben didn't really know. It was a bustling metropolis with a lot of things to do to keep you busy and in the town. Ruben stumbled into a building in an attempt to get his bearings when he saw an elderly woman sitting on a pillow in the corner of the room.
"Come child." the woman said, motioning Ruben over with her hand. Ruben obliged, walking over. The elderly woman handed Ruben a container full of a hot beverage.
"This is tea; tea I created." the woman stated, "Don't waste your money on sugary beverages from the Dept. Store. Drink this instead." Ruben smiled and nodded as he took the tea and put it into his Bag.
"I've heard there is a special gift on the Top Floor for that special someone able to get up there." the elderly woman stated, "But, no one has been able to find out how to exactly get up to the top."
"Take the stairs to the top floor and you'll see a small house." the elderly woman said. "How to get there? I'm sure you'll find out."

Ruben did find the roof of the building, with the building the elderly woman said. However, he found another stairwell leading to the building. Ruben decided to find his way to get to that stairwell. Next to the Pokemon Center, after leaving the building lead to a side passage. The side passage lead to the back of the exact same building Ruben was just in. Ruben found the stairwell that led up to the building on the roof and entered it. There was a Poke Ball on the desk. Checking and inspecting it, Ruben found out that it was an Eevee. Eevee is a brown, fox-like creature with a cream-colored tip on its tail. Eevee is known for evolving into a numerous amount of Pokemon, 3 with Elemental Stones. Ruben decided he was going to buy a stone and evolve Eevee immediately.

The Department Store beckoned Ruben and Ruben found the Stone store. Picking up a Thunderstone and he exposed his Eevee to it and Eevee evolved into Jolteon. Jolteon is a yellow fox-like creature, it's yellow fur lined with prickly, pin-like needles. Ruben decided to hustle back to Lavender Town to nickname his Jolteon. He nicknamed it "DaveBlaney", for what reason he didn't quite know. Ruben decided to check both Eevee and Jolteon's Pokedex data.

"Eevee, the Evolution Pokemon.

An extremely rare POKéMON that may evolve in a number of different ways depending on stimuli."
the Pokedex stated. Ruben then checked the Pokedex data for Jolteon.

"Jolteon, the Lightning Pokemon.

If it is angered or startled, the fur all over its body bristles like sharp needles that pierce foes."
the Pokedex stated.

Ruben made his way back to Celadon and made his way to the Game Corner. There was a Rocket Grunt pecularly blocking a poster on the wall. He was quickly defeated and notified Ruben he was going to tell his Boss and then promptly disappeared. Ruben decided to check the poster and found a button behind it. He pressed it and a stairwell appeared. Going down it, Ruben unknowingly was walking right into the teeth of the enemy. Ruben found one Grunt who ambushed him. Ruben took out one of his Pokemon with Gouda, but Gouda had taken a lot of damage. Ruben decided to keep Gouda in the battle; bad decision. Gouda missed on her Hyper Fang and took a Karate Cho attack from the Grunt's Machop. Ruben watched in horror as Gouda fainted.
"No Gouda!" Ruben exclaimed. He sent out Evan, who promptly laid waste to the Machop.

Ruben dashed off to the Pokemon Center to send off Gouda to join McGavin.
"Thanks Gouda; you were the best Raticate a guy like me could ever ask for." Ruben said softly to the Poke Ball before depositing Gouda into the casualties Box in his PC. Ruben sighed; this was his second Nuzlocke casualty of his journey.

He had to wonder; how many more would follow before his journey comes to and end?

Pokemon Team:
"Evan" (Charmeleon; Male) Level 34
"Pi Fighter" (Pidegotto; Male) Level 27
"Petrocetti" (Kadabra; Male) Level 29
"Starlight" (Clefairy; Female) Level 20
"DaveBlaney" (Jolteon; Male) Level 26

Pokemon on Stand-By:
"Hans" (Dugtrio; Male) Level 29 [PC]

Nuzlocke Deaths:

"Gouda" (Raticate; Female) Level 30 [Fainted to Team Rocket Grunt's Machop]

Chapter 15 - Giovanni, You Spin Me Right 'Round (Like a Record)

Heading back into the Game Corner and down the stairs into the basement, Ruben began to root out the Grunts, one by one. Along the way Evan his Charmeleon evolved. Charmeleon had evolved into Charizard. Charizard was a much larger orange lizard. Charizard sprouted a pair of wings from out of its shoulders. Ruben's eyes teared up as he saw his Charizard for the first time; then fumbled for its Pokedex to see Charizard's data.

"Charizard, the Flame Pokemon.

Its wings can carry this POKéMON close to an altitude of 4,600 feet. It blows out fire at very high temperatures."
the Pokedex stated. He returned Evan to his Poke Ball and proceeded further into the teeth of the enemy.

Ruben's major foe was not any of the Grunts he encountered along the way, but the maze of spinning tiles dotting the floor. They had directional arrows on them and stepping on them sent Ruben spinning in that direction. The tiles were often strung together; often going in different directions. So before Ruben even had a chance to get his thoughts together from the first spinning tile, he was thrust into another direction by another spinning tile. After he made it out of the maze of spinning; he had to stop.
"I need to take a breath or two; otherwise I feel like I'm going to throw up." Ruben said softly, then shouted; "Who decided this was a good idea?!"

Ruben saw a large red elevator shaft and decided to enter it. However he could not activate the mechanism to make the elevator work and a message was shown to him that he needed an item called a Lift Key. Ruben saw a medium-sized hole, shaped like a keyhole and deduced that keyhole is for the Lift Key he needed to fetch.

Ruben found the Lift Key, but had to fight a Rocket Grunt to obtain it. The Grunt tossed the key away, landing a stone's throw away from him. Ruben picked up the Lift Key. However, talking to the Grunt only had him repeat the same message over and over again; "Oh no, I dropped the LIFT KEY!"

Heading back to the elevator, Ruben put the key in the keyhole and the elevator whirred back on. He decided to head down; down to the floor labeled 'B4F'. Greeting Ruben were two Grunts and a closed door. One Grunt supposedly knew Ruben from Mt. Moon and how Ruben destroyed their plans there. The other posed the question on how Ruben could not see the supposed beauty of their evil. The Grunts were casually tossed aside by Ruben and the door opened. Ruben saw a large man with jet black hair. Ruben approached him and said he was impressed Ruben got all the way to meet him. Ruben was then thrust into battle.

The man identified himself as Giovanni, and his dark gray/black-colored blazer, with a Rocket emblem blazoned on it must mean he was very high up in the team. However, Giovanni referred to himself as the Boss of Team Rocket. Giovanni's three Pokemon were Onix, Rhyhorn and Kangaskhan. Onix was a Pokemon Ruben had fought previously but the other two were Pokemon Ruben had not faced before. Rhyhorn was a Rock/Ground type, identified by it's gray-colored, armor like hide with a small horn protruding out of its forehead. The other Pokemon, Kangaskhan was a kangaroo-like Pokemon with a brown, rocky-like hide and a cream-colored stomach. Resting comfortably in the pouch on its stomach was a baby. Kangaskhan did give Ruben some fits, but eventually it fell with no casualties. Giovanni was shocked that he lost but reminded Ruben that all Pokemon were to belong to Team Rocket and promptly disappeared. He left an item behind though. Inspecting the item, Ruben found out it was the Silph Scope item; the same Silph Scope that an NPC in Lavender Town said would help in identifying the Ghosts haunting Lavender Town.

However, Ruben had unfinished business to attend to. Talking to the Gym Gent, who was holed up in the Game Corner said that there was a Gym in Town. The Gym Leader was named Erika and was a lady who trained Grass-type Pokemon. However, only ladies were allowed inside; which explains why he was playing the slots. Ruben was going to find a way to get in there; then challenge and beat Erika to get his 4th Gym Badge.

Pokemon Team:
"Evan" (Charizard; Male) Level 36
"Pi Fighter" (Pidegotto; Male) Level 28
"Petrocetti" (Kadabra; Male) Level 30
"Starlight" (Clefairy; Female) Level 21
"DaveBlaney" (Jolteon; Male) Level 27

Pokemon on Stand-By:

Nuzlocke Deaths:

(Author's Notes: The Title is a reference to the 80's song from Dead or Alive "You Spin Me Right 'Round (Like a Record)")

Chapter 16 - Grassy Fields, Fighting Pokemon

The road to the Celadon City Gym was blocked by a Cuttable Tree. Sending out Penfold and ordering her to use Cut; Penfold bared her sharp front claws and sliced and diced the Tree away. Ruben navigated his way to the Gym, which was a small distance down the path.

An elderly gentleman was positioned out front, staring through a window. Ruben walked up to him. The gent adjusted his glasses and the collar of his shirt.
"Nihihihi!" he exclaimed, "This Gym is great! It's full of women!" Ruben sighed, before taking his hat off and scratching his forehead.
"How was he to get in?" Ruben wondered. Ruben put his hat back on and shrugged his shoulders. He simply opened the doors of the Gym and walked in.

True to the elderly gent's word the Gym was full of women. They all were in an uproar about Ruben's arrival, how he wasn't a girl and the fact they were being spied on. The Celadon Gym was full of Grass-type Pokemon; Oddish and Gloom, Bellsprout and Weepinbell, as well as Bulbasaur, Ivysaur and Exeggcute. Exeggcute, to Ruben was the most peculiar to Ruben. They had the appearance of eggs, with one of them cracked. Exeggcute functions as a group of six, somehow able to use psychokinetic powers. Oddish was shaped kind of like a radish with feet. It's pebble-like blueish body had 5 green petals stemming from the top. Gloom, the evolved form of Oddish had those five petals become a giant bulb. Gloom constantly drooled a white liquid like honey that smelled absolutely foul. Bellsprout had a yellow-colored large bulb for a head and a slender, vine like body. It's hands were two petals; which it used to fire leaves. Weepinbell, the evolved form of Bellsprout, lost it's slender body, its body becoming the bulb head.

Erika was dozing, or snoozing? Ruben couldn't tell. Erika's head was drooped, and her nose breathing was soft. She was muttering something under her breath before Ruben's attention woke her up. Erika had dark blue-ish color hair, with a red hairband. She was dressed in a dull yellow-colored kimono, with a green dress bottom.
"Oh...I had no idea I was to be challenged..." Erika began, "I am Erika, the Celadon City Gym Leader.'

"I don't get challenged all the time," Erika added, "But I shall not lose."

Erika's first Pokemon was a Tangela. Tangela was a peculiar Pokemon. It's entire body was covered with vines, making what's underneath them a complete mystery. Tangela also had two feet, dressed in two red-colored shoes. Evan, Ruben's Charizard made quick work of it. Erika returned Tangela, and sent out her next Pokemon; a Victreebel. Victreebel was the final form of Bellsprout and the evolution of Weepinbell. Victreebel is identified by its bell-like body and it's long, slender vine coming out near the top of its head. Its mouth is at the top of its head and was used to catch its prey; like a flycatcher. Evan's attacks did drop Victreebel's HP down to near faint; but Victreebel countered with a Stun Spore. Victreebel emitted a thick, yellow powder from its mouth and once the powder made contact, Evan dropped to the ground, his skin buzzing with the effects of Paralysis. Before Ruben could launch his attack; Erika used a Hyper Potion. She sprayed her Victreebel and in a flash all of Ruben's hard work was wiped out.

"Evan!" Ruben exclaimed, "Ember strike!"
"Victreebel!" Erika replied, "Acid." Victreebel spit out a thick, yellow substance that drenched Evan. Evan was able to counter with an Ember that scored a Critical Hit and suddenly Victreebel was Knocked Out. The last Pokemon Erika sent out was a Vileplume. Vileplume was the final evolution of Oddish and the evolution of Gloom. Identified by its huge petals, Vileplume was able to use powerful powders to catch its prey.
"Evan, return!" Ruben exclaimed. Evan returned to his Poke Ball and sent out something to counter Vileplume.
"Pi Fighter, I choose you!" Ruben exclaimed sending out his Pidgeotto. Pidgeotto cawed and took flight above the battlefield.
"Petal Dance, Vileplume!" Erika ordered. The top of Vileplume's flower wiggled and shot out a stream of petals. The petals danced around Vileplume before the were fired at Pidgeotto and made contact.
"Pidgeotto, Fly!" Ruben exclaimed. Pidegotto flew high into the sky. Vileplume was locked into Petal Dance and launched another attack; hitting nothing.
"Hit 'em with Fly now!" Ruben exclaimed. Pidgeotto landed a powerful blow, knocking over Vileplume. Vileplume suddenly became tired and confused.
"Acid Vileplume." Erika ordered. However, Vileplume thought it would be better to attack itself in confusion.
"Finish it off with a Wing Attack!" Ruben ordered. Pidgeotto cawed and outstretched its wings. It then launched itself at Erika's Vileplume making contact with its wings first; kind of like a slap. Vileplume fell over, and was Knocked Out. Erika gave a sad sigh before speaking up.
"Oh dear, it appears I've gone and lost." Erika began, "So I bequeath to you this; the Rainbow Badge." Erika handed the small, multicolored Badge to Ruben.
"Pokemon up to Level 50 will obey you without question, and please take this TM." Erika added. She handed Ruben a green-colored disk.
"That's TM21; Giga Drain." Erika stated, "Half the damage done to the opposing Pokemon will be healed by half. Please put it to good use." Ruben smiled and nodded. Having to Cut his way out; he left the Gym.

Ruben had his fourth Badge; he was halfway to eight Gym Badges. His next task was to go back to Lavender Town to climb the Pokemon Tower; so he healed in the Celadon City Pokemon Center and made his plans to head back to Lavender.

Pokemon Team:
"Evan" (Charizard; Male) Level 37
"Pi Fighter" (Pidgeotto; Male) Level 29
"Petrocetti" (Kadabra; Male) Level 31
"Starlight" (Clefairy; Female) Level 22
"DaveBlaney" (Jolteon; Male) Level 27

Pokemon on Stand-By:

Nuzlocke Deaths:

Chapter 17 - Team Rocket Didn't Stand a Ghost of a Chance

Lavender Town; a town bathed in a dull, somber purple. The town of death; with funerals being held on an almost hourly basis in the Pokemon Tower. The Tower's upper floors however were haunted by Ghosts, which are invincible to beat unless you had the Silph Scope. However, Ruben had the Scope in his possession; which was basically a pair of binoculars with special lenses.

Ruben made up to the floor where he battled Gary, then proceeded up to the next floor; the first floor that was haunted. The room had a thick fog hanging a few inches over the ground and there were women in there that were identified as Channelers. Channelers had long, greyish hair, and dressed in traditional garments holding two candles. However, all these women could only speak in fractured, fragmented sentences, demanding things like blood, and Ruben's soul. It was however, that these ladies were under the spell of the Ghosts haunting the Tower. Beating them freed them from their possession; with no recollection of what happened when they were possessed.

Armed with the Silph Scope Ruben was able to see the once-invincible Ghosts. They were nearly all Pokemon referred to as Gastly. Gastly, as a Pokemon was a small black orb with huge eyes, a wicked smile and fangs bared. It was completely enveloped in a thin purple smoke. However, there was a chance to find what was Gastly's evolved form; Haunter. Haunter was a rather large purple ghost with a wicked, crooked smile and a pair of hands that were levitating alongside the main body, but not attached.

...And Ruben somehow managed to come in contact with a wild Haunter and not a wild Gastly as his encounter for the Pokemon Tower.
"Go Penfold!" Ruben exclaimed, "Bite attack!" Penfold came out of her Poke Ball, meowed before darting over and biting the wild Haunter. The wild Haunter attempted a Lick attack. It outstretched it's long tongue and swung it around briefly before attempting to lick Penfold. However, the wild Haunter instead slipped right through the small cat Pokemon.
"Bite once more!" Ruben ordered. Penfold did the same as before, biting into the Ghost Pokemon. Haunter countered with Hypnosis. It began to move its arms in a circular motion; attempting to lull Penfold to sleep; but failed however.
"Go Poke Ball!" Ruben exclaimed. The Poke Ball was thrown and and encapsulated its target in a bright, red flash of light.

1 shake, 2 shakes, 3 shakes...CLICK! Haunter was caught. The Poke Ball vanished as Ruben picked up his Pokedex.

"Haunter's data was added to the Pokedex." the Pokedex stated before flashing the data onto the screen.

"Haunter, the Gas Pokemon.

If you get the feeling of being watched in darkness when nobody is around, HAUNTER is there."

"A good nickname for you would be Specter." Ruben said, punching a combination into his Pokedex. He returned Penfold to her Poke Ball before continuing.

Halfway through the Tower, Ruben found a safe spot. The Channeler there said she purified the spot and it acted like a heal in the Pokemon Center. In an instant of stepping in the zone; Ruben's Pokemon were completely healed. He also found the held item; the Cleanse Tag in the middle of the safe zone. The Cleanse Tag is a held item to be held by the lead Pokemon. With this held; random encounters are said to go down.

Eventually, Ruben made to a large staircase. The staircase was blocked by a thick purple smoke that manifested a voice.

"Be gone...intruders..." the voice said and Ruben was sent into a battle, which caught him by surprise. The smoke solidified a design and Ruben could see a Pokemon. The Pokemon was defined as Marowak. Could this be the same Marowak that was killed by Team Rocket? Ruben tossed a Poke Ball at it, but the Ball passed through the Marowak, so Ruben had no choice but to defeat it.

Once the Marowak was defeated, it faded into nothing; giving an almost peaceful cry as it left. Marowak's spirit was finally at peace, and Ruben was able to proceed.

The top of the Tower, Ruben saw three Team Rocket Grunts and at the end of the floor; was an elderly gentleman. Ruben had to defeat these Team Rocket Grunts to save the old man, and defeat them he did. Ruben approached the old man who said he came all the way by his own free will. He was praying for Marowak's spirit to finally achieve peace. He had Ruben follow him to his home; which happened to be at the foot of the Tower.

The old man identified himself as Mr. Fuji, who was the owner of the Pokemon Volunteer House; which was erected for volunteers to take care of Pokemon. He had a small case on the bookshelf and handed the contents to Ruben; a small flute with a Poke Ball shaped top.
"Your quest will fail if you do not continue to love your Pokemon." Mr. Fuji said, "Perhaps this item will help you; it's called a Poke Flute. Sleeping Pokemon will wake up the instant you play the tune."

Ruben smiled, placed the Flute in his Bag before proceeding out. He was ready to bid Lavender adieu, but was no sure which way to go to continue his journey. He pulled out his map, and found his next goal was to Fuchsia City, but there were two ways to get there and Ruben was not sure which way to go. He pondered his next decision in the Lavender Town Pokemon Center.

Pokemon Team:
"Evan" (Charizard; Male) Level 38
"Pi Fighter" (Pidgeotto; Male) Level 30
"Petrocetti" (Kadabra; Male) Level 32
"Starlight" (Clefairy; Female) Level 23
"DaveBlaney" (Jolteon; Male) Level 28

Pokemon on Stand-By:
"Specter" (Haunter; Female) Level 20 [PC]

Nuzlocke Deaths:

(Author's Note: Reference to the cheesy line "A Ghost of a Chance", a rather popular line in 4Kids shows; particularly Yu-Gi-Oh!)

Back