Hidden Power (Ground)
Helping Hand

Recommended Items:

Choice Specs
Choice Scarf
Pixie Plate
Life Orb
Sitrus Berry

Sylveon has been a very popular Pokemon ever since it's reveal. Some people love it, some people hate it. But there's one thing we all know for sure: It's a devestating Pokemon.

Sylveon's natural bulk and Pixilate ability make it one of the most threatening Pokemon you can come across if left alone. With an arsenal of moves like Hyper Voice, Sylveon will deal massive damage to both of your opponent's Pokemon.

This Pokemon is most likely to take a heavy hit and stay standing. If you want to run a straightforward Hyper Voice build, Choice Specs is probably your best option. If you want it to be able to handle huge threats like Mega Kangaskhan and Landorus-T, then Pixie Plate or Life Orb are the best choices.

If you'd like to make any additional suggestions feel free to post! If I find them good enough I'll definitely include it.

Last edited:
Sylveon is a great threat. CS Hyper Voice is very powerful even against 2 targets. The Fairy type is really helpful defensively while its physical bulk is really bad.
Wide Guard Aegislah, Mega Metagross and AV Metagross can handle with Sylveon the best imo. That is one of the big reason for using Hydreigon/Aegislah core. Heatran is also a nice option against Sylveon unless it carries HP Ground.
I think Quiet nature is for Trick Room teams rather than a defensive set since it doesn't boost any defensive stat.
Are there any viable support moves for a defensive set?

Oh sorry, I meant Trick Room yeah lol. Thanks for telling me!

I love using Sylveon when it's less expected ;v; especially with Hyper Beam because it's not as expected as Hyper Voice and helps take care of something threatening really fast.

I don't know why you're putting Hyper Beam and Quick Attack in its viable moves. Sure you may get a KO with Hyper Beam if the target doesn't resist it, but then Sylveon is wide open for a turn. Sylveon should be getting multiple KOs when used optimally not just one and done. For this reason, Hyper Beam isn't good. Quick Attack isn't that viable on Sylveon because you are giving up offensive pressure that having an extra more powerful move would provide. There are far better Pokemon that get priority attacks. You'd be better off running Helping Hand because if Sylveon is going to be KO'd before it attacks, at least your partner Pokemon gets a damage boost.

I am against Hidden Power anything on Sylveon because the only time that is going to be better is against Pokemon that are 4x weak to it because Hyper Voice gets a 30% power boost from Pixalate and STAB on top of that.

I've seen some Sylveon use Choice Scarf as a means to get around its mediocre speed, but it means giving up a considerable amount of pressure. This option really only works on teams that use wide attacks and have a way to get around Wide Guard.

I disagree about Choice Specs being the best option. Not being able to change moves is a big problem, especially if your opponent has a Pokemon with Wide Guard and you are locked into Hyper Voice. I believe Life Orb to be the superior option to putting pressure on the opponent. This way you are able to adapt to the situation based on what your opponent throws at you. It also lets it take more advantage of Tailwind ,which is something Sylveon teams really should have.

I think Quiet nature is for Trick Room teams rather than a defensive set since it doesn't boost any defensive stat.

I'll agree with you here. Sylveon is able to be used effectively on Trick Room teams because of its lower than average speed.

Are there any viable support moves for a defensive set?

Playing a full support set is not a good idea because there are other Pokemon that can fill that role better. Helping Hand can be thrown on an offensive Sylveon set for situations that require it. I generally do like using this strategy for Sylveon because it gives me an out if Sylveon is about to get KO'd and only my other Pokemon is able to move.

Heatran makes a good partner for Sylveon because it is immune to poison and heavily resists steel. It is able to keep up the offensive pressure with its huge Special Attack and a good variety of moves to take advantage of it. Pokemon with Tailwind also work well with Sylveon because they eliminate Sylveon's biggest weakness, speed. I believe Zapdos to be the best option for teams with Sylveon to use Tailwind with because it has enough bulk to take attacks that Talonflame can't easily take. It also doesn't have to damage itself to use a fire-type move to deal with steel Pokemon. Zapdos is also capable of Thunder Wave for long term speed control.

Sylveon teams should also have at least one Pokemon with Intimidate or Will-O-Wisp because Sylveon has below average defense. Earthquake does a significant amount to it as does Bullet Punch. Landorus-T has the advantage of being strong against steel types to further support Sylveon. Salamence can work, but it comes with a risk. If the opponent has a Wide Guard Pokemon, you quickly are losing damage output.

Helping Hand sounds very good for one last effort. I actually like the idea of Quick Attack as many Pokemon survives Hyper Voice with very few hit points and are able to OHKO Sylveon back. Having that extra priority damage can be helpful. Although you can just use other teammate with a better priority to be next to Sylveon, you don't always have it in the right moment.

I tried very briefly to use a Choice Scarf on my Sylveon, but went back to using Choice Specs.

Does Scarfed Sylveon have any viability in competitive play?

I tried very briefly to use a Choice Scarf on my Sylveon, but went back to using Choice Specs.

Does Scarfed Sylveon have any viability in competitive play?

Its viability is considerably lower in competitive play when compared to other variants. You aren't able to switch moves and you are going to be missing a lot of damage output you could get from holding an item that boosts your offense. It requires a specialized team to use it.

Anything, even uncommonly used moves by players is still viable. As such - Hyper Beam is on there. Yes it leaves Sylveon vulnerable, but that doesn't mean whatever hits Sylveon is going to be strong enough to KO it. Hyper Beam - If timed well, mostly against something annoying/threatening to more than just Sylveon - has a decent chance at KO'ing it. Especially if paired with a Pokemon that could be considered more of a threat to the opponent's team. I often see people brush Sylveon aside to focus on something that hits weakness hard, without considering the Hyper Beam. Being able to dish out an insane amount of damage with no repercussion other than it losing a turn in a situation where it can actually afford to lose a turn. Even then, their focus will be on a potentially dying Sylveon which automatically leaves them open.

Again, referencing things used by most players is what should be a deciding factor whether or not something is viable.

I will add Choice Scarf to the list however~

Last edited:
Anything, even uncommonly used moves by players is still viable. As such - Hyper Beam is on there.

And just how many of them have a good chunk of Championship Points? There is a difference between average players and great players. I believe Moonblast to be far more consistent because Sylveon is able to do more damage over two turns, is able to change attacks, and has 100 accuracy. I can't tell you how many times 90 accuracy attacks have failed me when needed most.

This argument could also be applied to the rise in Pachirisu usage after Worlds last year. Pachirisu required a specifically designed team and in any other team was bad. Pachirisu was being run the wrong way and I seen it on plenty of teams after last years Worlds. People would just throw it onto a team, but it doesn't work that way. I still wouldn't really recommend Pachirisu. Pachirisu also worked at Worlds because of the surprise factor. No one knew what it did. Don't expect Pachirisu to make a showing at Nationals or Worlds again.

Again, referencing things used by most players is what should be a deciding factor whether or not something is viable.

Wrong. There are large differences between average players teams and teams at the top of the leaderboard. By your definition a lot of my Ubers sets would not be viable, yet I can tell you most of the competitive community that has been around here knows my Ubers skills are top notch. Another example is when I am doing VGC on Showdown and send in my Landorus-T. Nearly everyone expects it to be Choice Scarf, but its not. I have great results with it and not being choice locked has gotten me out of several situations. I know many people would not consider Explosion on Landorus-T as viable, yet I'm able to pull it off very effectively. I know when the time is right and can frequently KO both opponents giving me a score lead.

I am going by the Global Link's statistics as well because they are a good helpful source.
I've used it a good number of times, I've seen other players use it. It's there because many people are using it and should be considered something commonly on hand.

It's there because it's a good option. Which is what the purpose of these threads is. Helpful suggestions for VGC.

Last edited:
Imo Helping Hand is the best fourth move for non-choice Sylveon. Sitrus Berry lets it always take non Adamant Khan's DE (survives from max Adamant 45% of the time) and is worth considering, also overall adding to the natural bulk.

Of course in trade, the damage output isn't that great anymore.

Is there ever a case for running Moonblast on Sylvs as a fourth move? The idea would be to have a decent STAB option that can be used if Wide Guard can happen, since that move really just destroys Sylveon so badly. I don't hugely rate Hyper Beam despite the power because it just wrecks you the turn after use. Are there any used Wide Guard mons that you could take advantage of using Moonblast? (Maybe Conkledurr?)

Imo Helping Hand is the best fourth move for non-choice Sylveon. Sitrus Berry lets it always take non Adamant Khan's DE (survives from max Adamant 45% of the time) and is worth considering, also overall adding to the natural bulk.

Of course in trade, the damage output isn't that great anymore.

I was wondering if that was noticeable enough to include. thank you! nvn

Is there ever a case for running Moonblast on Sylvs as a fourth move? The idea would be to have a decent STAB option that can be used if Wide Guard can happen, since that move really just destroys Sylveon so badly. I don't hugely rate Hyper Beam despite the power because it just wrecks you the turn after use. Are there any used Wide Guard mons that you could take advantage of using Moonblast? (Maybe Conkledurr?)

Well, if you can't think of something to give the slot to I don't see why not~ If it suits your play style. Wide Guard isn't used too much from what I've seen but with the rise of Sylveon it's likely to happen. So if you want the guarantee then Moonblast is a better choice.

Last edited:

Yes it is a strong fourth move to have when you fear Wide Guard or need the extra damage since you don't obtain the tvt multiplier. I strongly prefer this as the fourth move on Choice Specs Sylveon because of consistency.

Wide Guard isn't used too much from what I've seen but with the rise of Sylveon it's likely to happen. So if you want the guarantee then Moonblast is a better choice.

I don't know what you are playing at. Either you haven't played the meta in a long time or never got to the upper end of the rankings. Wide Guard is very prevalent in the metagame. It is an excellent check to Sylveon and Salamence's Hyper Voice, Charizard-Y's Heat Wave, and Landorus-T's Earthquake among other things.

What spreads are viable on Sylveon? I guess 252 hp 252 Sp.Atk is the most used one. Anyone use some EV's on the speed?

What spreads are viable on Sylveon? I guess 252 hp 252 Sp.Atk is the most used one. Anyone use some EV's on the speed?

That's usually the spread I've used with mine, then throw 4 EVs into speed for that 1 point difference. lol. Sylveon isn't exactly a speedy Eeveelution.

252 HP / 252 SAtk is far from optimal. With Sylveon already having base 130 SDef, it is better to invest more in Defense because you are increasing your overall bulk by more. You'll want to learn a concept called maximizing your defenses which has a formula to determine what the optimal EVs will be. A better set that was used in the winter was 92 HP / 116 Def / 252 SAtk / 48 Spe. The 48 Speed EVs let it outpace 0 Speed Gothitelle. This spread took advantage of Sylveon's much higher Special Defense stat.

Back