Switching 3DS Systems: How Do I Transfer Data?

Galaxy Hunter

Shiny Mega Quest!
So, my old 3DS has started to fall apart on me. Literally, the buttons are starting to peel apart, and it's hard to play without pricking my fingers. So I but the bullet and bought myself a 3DS XL, which I like a lot more than my old one. However, I still have the old one. The problem I have is that my primary PokéBank account is on the XL (I've already paid for my year's subscription and everything) but all of my Friends are on the memory card in the old 3DS and I'd like to transfer them to the new system if possible, but I can't figure out how to do so what with each system having a different Friend Code for my character and everything.

So, options? Is it possible to painlessly transfer the friends list to the new system, or will I have to go around and tell everyone I'll have to register them again? Please let me know!

RE: Technology: Questions, Answers & Recommendations

I believe that you can transfer it by using "System Transfer" on System Settings.

Chaos Jackal said:
I believe that you can transfer it by using "System Transfer" on System Settings.

The problem I'm having is that I made two separate Nintendo Network ID's, one for the original and one for the XL, and the one on the XL is synced to my Pokémon Bank Account with all of my Pokémon in it. If I do system Transfer will the old ID from the regular 3DS overwrite the new one, making my old Bank account inaccessible?

Galaxy Hunter said:
Chaos Jackal said:
Merged with the Technology thread.

The problem I'm having is that I made two separate Nintendo Network ID's, one for the original and one for the XL, and the one on the XL is synced to my Pokémon Bank Account with all of my Pokémon in it. If I do system Transfer will the old ID from the regular 3DS overwrite the new one, making my old Bank account inaccessible?

From a support article:

Nintendo's support page said:
If I have registered a Nintendo Network ID on my Nintendo 3DS, can I transfer it to a new system?

If you have registered a Nintendo Network ID on a Nintendo 3DS family system, you can transfer this to a new system along with the usage rights to data saved on your SD card, Nintendo DSiWare, your Nintendo eShop user history and balance, any save data from software pre-installed on the system, and Nintendo DS software settings.

However, please note that if the target system already has a Nintendo Network ID registered on it, you will be unable perform a system transfer.

So aside from going through a dicey clear-your-Bank-out-then-delete-your-NNID process, the only real thing to do seems to be to contact Nintendo: http://www.nintendo.com/corp/contact.jsp

They could probably get you figured out if both of your 3DSs are tied to the same Club Nintendo account.

Back