Sun Team

Vivillon Trader

Aspiring Trainer
Sun Team

I managed to capture a shiny ninetals in the friend safari with competitive stats, which I think deserves a team.
However, ninetals is more of a utility pokemon with drought and not a sweeper so I will centre the team around a chlorophyll venusaur.

Team at a glance:
Forretress/Ninetals/Swampert/Venusaur/Alakazam/Umbreon

Forretress
Role Support
Ability Sturdy
Item Light Clay

Moveset
Stealth rock Rapid Spin
Light Screen Reflect

Nature Impish
EV's
HP 252
Defense 252

Strategy:
Forretress is my lead who can set up stealth rock and remove hazards with rapid spin.
Setting up duel screen's is useful to keep venusaur alive when setting up a growth under sun.
Spikes could be an alternative to increase hazard damage with stealth rock.

Shiny Ninetals:
Role Support
Ability Drought
Item Heat Rock

Moveset
Will o'wisp Sunny day
Fire Blast Solar beam

Nature Timid
IV's
Defense 31
Speed 31
EV's
SpAtk 252
Speed 252

Strategy:
Ninetals main use is to set up drought which doubles Venusaur's speed enabling it to start sweeping.
Heat Rock is used to increase harsh sunlight turns to 8 so it doesn't get outclassed by Mega Charizard Y who can't hold the item.
Will o'wisp is used to burn physical attackers, especially other weather inducers such as Tyranitar who counter Ninetals and immediately cripple my team.
Once burned I can send in my counter Swampert to threaten and force the attacker out.
Fire blast and solar beam are powerful moves with the former Koing grass types in sun which Swampert is 4x weak to and the latter denting pokemon countering Ninetals.
However, other weather inducers revert Solar beam to a 2 turn move so its not always reliable.
Sunny day can be used if a predict the switch in from another weather inducer correctly which makes solar beam more usable.
Since Ninetals has 31 IV's in defense changing fire blast with flamethrower and solar beam with another coverage move with higher PP and having 252 in defense to increase it's longevity is an alternative.

Swampert
Role Phazer
Ability Damp
Item Leftovers

Moveset:
Protect Scald
Roar Earthquake

Nature Impish
EV's
HP 252
Defense 252

Strategy:
Swampert is given the maximum amount of Defense to counter powerful physical attackers!
Although once burned by Ninetals Will o'wisp with leftovers recovery Swampert's longevity should be good.
Stealth rock would be great with roar and would allow forretress to run spikes but its not available to me being a transfer only move with no Swampert's in my previous games.
Roar is to phaze out any set up sweeper and scald although very weak in sun has that 30% burn chance to make walling easier.
Protect is used for burn damage from scald or Ninetals Will o'wisp and for leftovers recovery.
Earthquake damages fire types threatening forretress and venusaur, and steels.

Venusaur
Role Special Sweeper
Ability Chlorophyll
Item Life Orb/Black Sludge

Moveset
Giga Drain Synthesis/Sludge bomb
HP fire Growth

Nature Modest
EV's
HP ?
SpAtk 252
Speed ?

Strategy:
Under sun growth boosts with life orb makes sweeping easier.
Black sludge allows Swampert to use leftovers with the item clause on and gives venusaur more longevity behind screens.
Giga drain is the main attacking move which heals life orb damage.
HP fire although being reduced to 60 base power gets boosted by sun and removes steels such as Ferrothorn who otherwise wall venusaur.
Sludge bomb is an alternative over Syntheses giving more coverage and is a bit unnecessary with a growth boosted giga drain for restoring health.
Heatran being immune to sludge bomb and HP fire and being 4x resistant to giga drain completely walls venusaur but is countered by Swampert's earthquake.
I've given 252 SpAtk EV's to maximize venusaur's power.
I'm not sure how much speed to run (the rest of the EV's will be put into HP).

Alakazam
Role Revenge Killer
Ability Magic Guard
Item Focus Sash

Moveset
Psyshock Focus Blast
Energy Ball Shadow Ball

Nature Timid
EV's
SpAtk 252
Speed 252

Strategy:
Alakazam when equipped with a focus sash gives him 2 lives unless hit by priority which makes him a great revenge killer.
Focus Sash allows Alakazam to miss once with focus blast which can be unreliable with that 70% accuracy, allows him to take a hit by the opponent with speed boosts and if sticky web is on the field.
Psyshock is for specially defensive pokemon who could otherwise take 2 hits.
The other moves are for coverage.

My team needs a good wish passer and healer which would make eviolite chansey very useful but wish chansey is an event pokemon so is unavailable.
Umbreon learns wish and has base 95 HP which is usable and can learn heal bell.

Umbreon
Role Support
Ability Synchronize
Item Chesto berry

Moveset
Rest Heal bell
Wish Foul Play/toxic

Nature Careful
EV's
HP 252
SpDef 252

Strategy:
Umbreon can switch into special attackers to provide wish support.
Foul play for physical attackers or toxic for special attackers who are not crippled much by burns.
Rest and chesto berry is for instant recovery to stay alive.
Heal bell to remove status.

That was quite a lot to read.....
I'll appreciate any changes even if you decide to change half my team!

How about adding Mega Houndoom?
something like:

Houndoom
@houndoominite
ability: solar power
nature: timid
ev: s.atk:252 s.def:4 spe: 252
~Fire blast
~Dark pulse
~Destiny bond
~Hidden power ice

under sun with solar power Houndoom's attacks increases by 50%
with a mass of power he can destroy a lot and finally against a tough rival use destiny bond
and finish it.

As for Umbreon- I don't see much use in rest and chesto imo since it is already can recover with wish
you can switch rest for protect to guarantee a successful wish and switch chesto for leftovers

scattered mind said:
How about adding Mega Houndoom?
something like:

Houndoom
@houndoominite
ability: solar power
nature: timid
ev: s.atk:252 s.def:4 spe: 252
~Fire blast
~Dark pulse
~Destiny bond
~Hidden power ice

under sun with solar power Houndoom's attacks increases by 50%
with a mass of power he can destroy a lot and finally against a tough rival use destiny bond
and finish it.

As for Umbreon- I don't see much use in rest and chesto imo since it is already can recover with wish
you can switch rest for protect to guarantee a successful wish and switch chesto for leftovers

Mega Houndoom and Venusaur seem to work well together covering each others weaknesses. I could switch out Venusaur when threatened by a fire type attack and switch in Houndoom activating flash fire, then mega evolve...
Although I may swap fire blast for flamethrower for the better accuracy.
Houndoom could replace Alakazam.
Thanks for the advice.

for mega houndoom, flamethrower is worth losing power for accuracy. Since Solar Power and sun will be boosting its power so much anyway, there's no reason not to get that added accuracy.

Back