• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format (SUM-SM9) L A M P [Ampharos GX]

John InCENAroar

Praising the Vish, Praying for Sableye V
SOooooooo... Ampharos GX is a thing now. Am I hype? YES OMG SO MUCH YES. TBH Ampharos is like in my top ten pokemon of all time, and it having a GX that doesn't suck on trees is actually really good. Anyway, I see this thing, and I started falling in love with it (almost as much as I did with the new Incineroar) because it can do stupid things. It's kind of gimmicky, sure, but I like things with a few gimmicks behind them.

Pokemon (19):
  • Mareep (4)
Mareep – Lightning – HP50
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Fluffy Pillow
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, you may choose to leave your opponent’s Active Pokemon Asleep.

[C][C] Tackle: 20 damage.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Metal (-20)
Retreat: 1
  • Ampharos GX (4)
Ampharos-GX – Lightning – HP240
Stage 2 – Evolves from Flaaffy

[L] Power Recharge: 30 damage. Put all Electripower cards from your discard pile into your hand.

[L][L] Impact Bolt: 150 damage. Discard all [L] Energy from this Pokemon.

[L] Electrical GX: Search your deck for up to 7 Pokemon, reveal them, and put them into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

When your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Retreat: 3
  • Zapdos (1)
Zapdos – Lightning – HP110
Basic Pokemon

[L] Assault Thunder: 10+ damage. If this Pokemon became your Active Pokemon this turn, this attack does 70 more damage. This attack’s damage isn’t affected by Weakness.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: 2
  • A. Vulpix [GUR] (2)
  • A. Ninetales GX [LOT] (2)
Alolan Ninetales-GX – Fairy – HP200
Stage 1 – Evolves from Alolan Vulpix

Ability: Mysterious Guidance
When you play this card from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokemon during your turn, you may search your deck for up to 2 Item cards, reveal them, and put them into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.

[Y][C] Snowy Wind: 70 damage. This attack does 30 damage to 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon.)

[Y][C] Sublimation GX: If your opponent’s Active Pokemon is an Ultra Beast, it is Knocked Out. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

When your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Metal (x2)
Resistance: Darkness (-20)
  • Tapu Lele GX (2)
  • Zeraora GX (2)
Zeraora-GX – Lightning – HP190
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Electric Zone
Each of your Pokemon that has any [L] Energy attached to it has no Retreat Cost.

[L][L][C] Plasma Fists: 160 damage. This Pokemon can’t attack during your next turn.

[L] Full Voltage GX: Attach 5 basic Energy cards from your discard pile to your Pokemon in any way you like. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

When 1 of your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

• Koko PS (1)
Tapu Koko Prism Star – Lightning – HP130
Basic Pokemon

You can’t have more than 1 Prism Star card with the same name in your deck. If a Prism Star card would go to the discard pile, put it in the Lost Zone instead.

Ability: Ancestor’s Dance
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokemon is on your Bench, you may use this Ability. Choose 2 of your Benched Pokemon and attach 1 [L] Energy from your discard pile to each of them. Then, put this Pokemon in the Lost Zone (discard all cards attached to this Pokemon).

[L][L][C] Mach Bolt: 120 damage.

Retreat: 1
Trainers (32):
  • Cynthia (4)
  • Electripower (4)
Electripower – Trainer
Item

During this turn, your [L] Pokemon’s attacks do 30 more damage to your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).
  • Volkner (4)
  • Ultra Ball (4)
  • Guzma (3)
  • Sightseer (3)
  • Thunder Mountain PS (1)
Thunder Mountain Prism Star – Trainer
Stadium

You can’t have more than 1 Prism Star card with the same name in your deck. If a Prism Star card would go to the discard pile, put it in the Lost Zone instead.

The attacks of each player’s [L] Pokemon cost [L] less.

As long as this Stadium is in play, whenever a player uses an Item or Supporter card from their hand, prevent all effects of those cards done to this Stadium.

This card stays in play when you play it. Discard this card if another Stadium card comes into play. If another card with the same name is in play, you can’t play this card.
  • Rare Candy (4)
  • Max Potion (4)
  • Elm’s Lecture (2)
Professor Elm’s Lecture – Trainer
Supporter

Search your deck for up to 3 Pokemon with 60 HP or less, reveal them, and put them into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.

You can only use 1 Supporter card during your turn (before you attack).
Energy (9):
  • Lightning (8)
  • Super Boost PS (1)

So this is just a rough mock-up of what this deck could be, but the basic premise should show itself. The Theory is to use Ampharos GX's attacks to do massive amounts of damage when assisted by Electripower (kind of a duh thing, but it's fine. Don't worry about it.) Since electripower boosts the damage of Lightning pokemon, this makes Ampharos' attack viable. Once you use them, the attack puts them all back for you to play in one turn. You can either do 150 every turn with ampharos GX, 240 max w/ Raikou when energy are in the lost zone, or an astounding 270 with the GX's second attack at maximum. But how do we get these Electripower in the discard/hand? Digging, that's how. With the two sycamore-for-4 Zebstrika, the Blitzle that literally searches for two electripower, and a playset of Volkner, getting these items should not be the hard part. Zeraora is for additional support in the free retreat, ditto is there for getting all of the Ampharos' out, and Thunder Mountain is to make it so, above all else, you canhit 150 on Amphy GX for NO ENERGY. God I love this card.

Edit 1: From what I have gathered from imput on this thread and other sources, I have amended my list. Firstly, I decided to cut the baby Ampharos, and subsequently the Raikou, from my list. This was done in order to streamline the focus of this deck so that I didn't focus on unnecessary secondary elements. My single-energy burst damage instead is coming from Zapdos, which does not require me to permanently "exile" any of my energy. I have also swapped Ditto PS for Koko PS, for obvious reasons, as well as cut the 1-1 Raid Zebstrika line for streamlining purposes. With the extra space, I decided to beef up my count of Zeraora, since I *always* need the free retreat from the ability. I still had 3 slots though, after also taking out a Flaaffy. Thus, I removed 1 Energy (since I had more recovery options and more single energy attackers) in order to put in some Max Potion, since most decks, barring Buzz, can't OHKO it.

TL;DR:
  • Minus:
    • -1 Flaaffy
    • -1 Ampharos
    • -2 Raikou
    • -1 Ditto PS
    • -1 Blitzle
    • -1 Zebstrika
    • -3 Tate and Liza
    • -1 Lighting Energy
  • Plus:
    • +1 Ampharos GX
    • +1 Zapdos
    • +1 Zeraora GX
    • +1 Tapu Koko PS
    • +3 Sightseer
    • +4 Max Potion
Edit 2: Added a Ninetales line over the Zebstrika line, for the potential of grabbing Electric Power and Rare candy for a T2 set-up.

Last edited:
Hi John InCENAroar,

Nice deck. Amphros is indeed a more than decent card. Consider to focus more on Amphros and Raikou by dropping the Zebstrika line and Tapu Lele GX. Ampharos GX and Volkner should be sufficient to set the deck up on their own. I would also run one Tapu Koko Prism to stream attacker. Ditto Prism Star does not seem to be needed if the focus is on Ampharos GX and Rare Candies alone. This would make the deck a lot faster. Also consider to replace Tate and Liza with Sightseer since you do ot want to resort to shuffle draw that much.

I would cut the Flaffy, and the Zebstrika line and add in 2 - 2 Alolan Ninetales-GX line. With 4 Rare Candy, 4 Volkner and 2 Alolan Ninetales getting out a Turn 2 Ampharos-GX is not a problem and Flaffy becomes a hinderance more than helping. I find that searching helps more than drawing in terms of Pokemon abilities go but that's just me. I also found that Electropower can technically be used as discard fodder early game, like Turn 1 - 2, as Ampharos can get them all back. These are all just suggestions though and I'm going to test my version at League tonight as they allow proxies and testing of future cards.

I would cut the Flaffy, and the Zebstrika line and add in 2 - 2 Alolan Ninetales-GX line. With 4 Rare Candy, 4 Volkner and 2 Alolan Ninetales getting out a Turn 2 Ampharos-GX is not a problem and Flaffy becomes a hinderance more than helping. I find that searching helps more than drawing in terms of Pokemon abilities go but that's just me. I also found that Electropower can technically be used as discard fodder early game, like Turn 1 - 2, as Ampharos can get them all back. These are all just suggestions though and I'm going to test my version at League tonight as they allow proxies and testing of future cards.
How did your test version fair? Any good?

Back