Ruling Suicune BKP ad Jolteon-EX

poke4trade

Raising Ash
I'm wondering if Suicune ability (Wind Charm) turns off Jolteon's EX effect. Been playing him online for a week with good results, but darn it, I haven't ran into a Jolteon EX. Paired with Palkia, Suicune is easy to charge and hits horribly hard. 130 with muscle band.

Just wondering.

XY9_EN_30.png

Jolteon-EX – Lightning – 160 HP
Basic

[L] Swift: 30 damage. This attack’s damage isn’t affected by Weakness, Resistance, or any other effects on your opponent’s Active Pokémon.

[L][C][C] Flash Ray: 70 damage. During your opponent’s next turn, prevent all damage done to this Pokémon by attacks from Basic Pokémon.

Pokémon-EX rule: When a Pokémon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting ×2
Resistance: Metal -20
Retreat Cost: 0

Asclepius24

Aspiring Trainer
Wind Charm would not allow Suicune to damage Jolteon-EX after Flash Ray.

Flash Ray places an effect on Jolteon-EX while Suicune's Wind Charm only ignores effects on your own Pokemon. The effect of Flash Ray would still be in place preventing Suicune from damaging Jolteon-EX.

poke4trade

Raising Ash
I mean if there are no existing effects on the cards, Aka (Flash Ray) has not attacked. Succini is then placed in the active, before Flash Ray is used, does it ignore the effects of your opponents attacks? According to the attack it ignores the effects of your opponents attacks as long as there is no pre existing effects.

I know it's your opponents attack because I have used it online and it ignore like paralyzation and other effects under the attack. It does not ignore effects that are used for damage, like night march or Bee Revenge. But effects like energy discards and special conditions it ignores as long as the card is in the active before the attack.

Asclepius24

Aspiring Trainer
If Jolteon-EX hasn't used Flash Ray, Suicune could attack it and do damage. That has nothing to do with Wind Charm, though.

Nothing in Suicune's attack ignores any effects of anything. The Ability and attack don't combine into one "super effect."

Wind Charm prevents effects of attacks done to Suicune. For example, your opponent's Pokemon's attacks can't apply a Special Condition to Suicune or discard Energy from it. Flash Ray places an effect on Jolteon-EX, not Suicune, so Flash Ray and Wind Charm never interact.

Night March and Bee Revenge aren't "effects of attacks." Those attacks do damage, and the text for those attacks tells you how to calculate that damage but those aren't "effects of attacks" to be blocked by Wind Charm.

fr33land

Weak competitive trainer.
What about effects that move damage counters? Like the case of Flash Ray in effect vs. Mewtwo EX's Damage Change attack? Would the placing of damage counters be considered an effect, the same way say Doublade's False Swipe attack places damage counters and is considered an effect and ergo be nullified by the effects of Flash Ray?

My Little Keldeo

Submarine Reflection!
Advanced Member
Yes, moving damage counters via Mewtwo-EX's Damage Change attack is an effect. It moves / places damage counters but isn't considered doing damage in game terms. Jolteon-EX's Flash Ray only prevents damage done to it -- that is the numbers on side of an attack or text that says "does X damage." Anything else happens as normal. Contrast this with Regice AOR's Resistance Blizzard attack, which says "Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage," which does block everything.

ejorange

Aspiring Trainer
So in the example with mewtwo, would the damage counters if it used damage change on joteon after it used flash ray go away? Similar when Primal kyogre tries to put water energies on an allied sigilyph with safeguard?
Scans:

180px-JolteonEXGenerations28.jpg
200px-MewtwoEXBREAKthrough62.jpg
200px-PrimalKyogreEXPrimalClash55.jpg
BW6_EN_52.png

Asclepius24

Aspiring Trainer
So in the example with mewtwo, would the damage counters if it used damage change on joteon after it used flash ray go away? Similar when Primal kyogre tries to put water energies on an allied sigilyph with safeguard?
Flash Ray doesn't prevent the damage counters from landing on Jolteon-EX. Flash Ray's effect blocks damage done, but moving damage counters is an effect of an attack and Flash Ray does not block those. While moving/placing damage counters and doing damage all have the same end result of damage counters being somewhere they weren't before, the way they get there is different. In this case, Flash Ray blocks "damage" but not "moving damage counters."