Studio Ghibli

TheTPCProductionz

Aspiring Trainer
So, since I haven't seen one of these threads made yet I thought we need one. I am increasingly becoming a massive Ghibli fan, I've seen Grave Of The Fireflies and Spirited Away so far, and I am mesmerised. They are truly works of art, I can't wait to see the rest.

Films In Blue, I have seen

What's your favourite ?

Pre Ghibli

Hols: Prince of the Sun [1968]
Little Norse Prince [1968]
The Wonderful World of Puss 'n Boots [1969]
Animal Treasure Island [1971]
Panda Go Panda! [1972]
Castle Of Cagliostro [1979]
Taro, the Son of Dragon [1979]
Chie the Brat [1981]
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind [1984]

Ghibli Films

Castle in the Sky August 2, 1986
Grave of the Fireflies April 16, 1988
My Neighbor Totoro April 16, 1988
Kiki's Delivery Service July 29, 1989
Only Yesterday July 20, 1991
Porco googleo July 28, 1992
Pom Poko July 16, 1994
Whisper of the Heart July 15, 1995
Princess Mononoke July 12, 1997
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Spirited Away July 27, 2001
The Cat Returns July 19, 2002
Howl's Moving Castle November 20, 2004
Tales from Earthsea July 29, 2006
Ponyo July 19, 2008
Arrietty July 17, 2010
From Up on Poppy Hill July 16, 2011
The Wind Rises July 20, 2013
The Tale of The Bamboo Cutter November 23, 2013

Television films

Ocean Waves May 5, 1993

In Production

When Marnie Was There July 19, 2014

RE: Official Studio Ghibli Thread

I can't decide whether Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke is my favorite. Sometimes it really just depends on my mood.
Spirited Away is the more charming and emotionally fulfilling of the two, but Princess Mononoke has some incredible action sequences. Hard to pick!
Nausicaa isn't as good as those two, but it gets a special mention because it features tons of giant bugs. :D

I saw spirited away a very, very long time ago. I remember the parents turning into pigs. It was amazing.

Yeah, it kind of freaked me out when I saw that. It was rather eerie to start off with but turns into a whole load of fun.

Highlighted thoughts of some of my favourites:

Nausicaä = <3 <3 <3 One of my favourite anime of all time. If you watched the movie and enjoyed it at least a bit, I highly suggest the manga by Hayao Miyazaki, which goes a lot more in depth than the movie does. Truly a great story and a wonderful work of art all wrapped up into one.

Castle of Cagliostro is a hell of a lot of fun, and worth spending time watching, even if you've never seen any of the rest of the Lupin III series or movies. And on the bright side, if you do end up really liking it, there's a lot more Lupin III to explore! :D I think CoG is my favourite of the various Lupin III stories, though.

Grave of the Fireflies is a very beautiful and very sad film. I can only ever see it once every few years because it just kind of depresses me, but I think it's an excellent example of anime as a serious storytelling and artistic medium.

Totoro is just loads of fun. The English language DVD was a standard for me to bring along when I used to babysit, since it's great for kids and I love it too. Probably the most iconic of all Ghibli films, and for good reason.

I'm really looking forward to their take on Kaguya-Hime, too. Should be a blast.

Yeah, I haven't seen any of them except Grave Of The Fireflies. I get what you mean, it's depressing but still an amazing film. I saw it earlier last week, so it will be a while until I see it again. I plan to see them all but they are a tad expensive to get.

Received Arrietty today, great film got it on Blu Ray & DVD. Great film, really heart-warming, what's your opinion ?.

Definitely a huge fan of Nausicaa. I've seen most of the films and that one is my favorite. :)

SoulWind said:
Definitely a huge fan of Nausicaa. I've seen most of the films and that one is my favorite. :)

Woooooo! *high five* If you haven't read the manga yet, I highly suggest it. It's rather short (for a manga series anyway, 6 shorter-than-usual volumes), but goes a lot more in-depth into the story and has some very beautiful artwork.

Got 4 more films coming I will post pictures when they arrive.

Everyone there is a Film 4 Studio Ghibli Marathon.

I will make a schedule, I missed the last one I don't want anyone to miss this one.

Date: Thursday 1st August 2013
Film: My Neighbours The Yamadas
Time: 11.00 am

Date: Friday 2nd August 2013
Film: Ocean Waves

This is the complete schedule.

Language: Japanese (English Subtitles)

Date: Saturday 3rd August 2013
Film: My Neighbour Totoro
Language: English

Date: Sunday 4th August 2013
Film: Arrietty

Date: Monday 5th August 2013
Film: Ponyo

Date: Tuesday 6th August 2013
Film: Whisper Of The Heart

Date: Wednesday 7th August 2013
Film: The Cat Returns

Time: 1.45 am

Date: Thursday 8th August 2013
Film: Only Yesterday

Date: Friday 9th August 2013
Film: Kiki's Delivery Service

Aww, I love Ghibli movies! Also love bumping beside that. :p

I gotta admit, there hasn't been any Ghibli movie that I wouldn't have enjoyed. My favorites are:

• Totoro - my favorite. <3 Something about it just... Dunno, tries to hug me inside me and make my inner 5-year old wake up. Masterpiece. :3
  • Princess Mononoke - whoa. Amazing. <3 Even though visually it might look quite rough, I find something beautiful in the story. For a 7-year old (that's when I first saw it) the violence was actually kinda shocking, but I managed to grab the deep side.

Ofc., the other ones are really great too. Now I just went too epic. Wait, I'll put some xD's here. xD

Yeah, haha bumping and Ghibli yay :).

I am yet to see them both, waiting to see them. Have you heard of a forum called Ghibli Tavern , I'd recommend checking it out and signing up :)

I loved Kiki's delivery service, I just watched it :)

Date: Saturday 3rd August 2013
Film: My Neighbour Totoro

Date: Sunday 4th August 2013
Film: Arrietty

Date: Monday 5th August 2013
Film: Ponyo

Date: Tuesday 6th August 2013
Film: Whisper Of The Heart

Film: The Cat Returns

Time: 1.45 am

Date: Thursday 8th August 2013
Film: Only Yesterday

Date: Friday 9th August 2013
Film: Kiki's Delivery Service

Date: Sunday 25th August 2013
Film: Porco googleo

Date: Tuesday 27th August 2013
Film: Spirited Away

Date: Wednesday 28th August 2013
Film: Princess Mononoke

Date: Thursday 29th August 2013
Film: Nausicaa

Date: Friday 30th August 2013
Film: Pom Poko

Date: Saturday 31st August 2013
Film: Howls Moving Castle
Time: 4.30 pm

Date: Sunday 1st September 2013
Film: Laputa Castle In The Sky
Time: 4.45 pm

Date: Monday 2nd September 2013
Film: Tales From Earthsea

That is the complete list for the marathon, you have missed some though already.

Did you already get to watch it? How was it? I don't watch Ghibli often; the only one I've seen is Spirited Away. After watching it I kind of got turned off by Ghibli; I thought it was a bit weird and creepy. I'm thinking about watching some other ones to change my opinion (one movie is not enough to judge a whole type of anime movies on) so I'm open to recommendations.

Well Spirited Away, is an acquired taste I suppose. I liked it, but my Girlfriend didn't.

I went to see it at the Cinema last month, it was a great film. It was very sweet.

I'd recommend a few titles;

Howl's Moving Castle
Ponyo
Arrietty
Kiki's Delivery Service
Whisper Of The Heart
My Neighbour Totoro
Porco googleo

There is loads, but each and everyone is unique. What sort of films do you like ?

It differs quite a lot. I can like a good comedy, action, adventure, horror, thriller. It all depends on the story and characters for me. I don't like the mind messing movies. I like a good plot and love happy endings (although the touching sad moments I can cope with just costs a few tears).

Examples of some anime I like:
Fairy Tail, Inuyasha, Generator Rex, Avatar (The Last Airbender/The Legend of Korra), Kiba, Pokémon, Death Note, Galactik Football, Vampire Knight, Shaman King, Huntik, Megaman, Medabots, Digimon, D. Gray-man, Demon King Daimao, Gundam Wing, 07-Ghost, American Dragon, Ben 10, Dragonball Z, X-men, Spiderman, Team Galaxy, Batman, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Fate/Stay Night, Soul Eater, and Hataraku Maou-sama.

I also really enjoy Marvel movies or other kind of action movies with super powers! It's not a requirement, though. There are a lot of regular comedy movies I love.

Back