Discussion Strange Win Conditions

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer
Because sometimes, it's these little details that make all the difference.

A few days ago, I was playing a match on playtcg. I was using a fairy deck with Xerneas EX and Lugia EX as my main attackers. Opponent was using a Lucario/Hawlucha/Bats deck and I was getting destroyed. I made a comeback, tying the game with both of us having 1 prize left. Oppenents turn, my active Lugia had 100 HP left. He brings up Hawlucha, strong energy + muscle band and attacks... and ends up 20 damage short of a ko. I then realized that during the previous turn, I had played Hex Maniac to prevent Bat shenanigans. In doing so, I also blocked Hawlucha's ability which would normally ignore weakness and resistance; or in this case, Lugia's resistance to fighting. With 20 HP left I was able to survive the turn and take my last prize.

The other one involved my Genger deck. Basically, the decks Pokemon are Gengar, Mega Gengar, Wobbuffet, and Shaymin. I don't even remember what my opponent was playing, but he had Shaymin and at one point, it was the only thing he had in play. I realized that nothing in my deck could one shot Shaymin. Gengar with Muscle Band could do 90 (counting poison damage). Mega Gengar could only copy Shaymins attack (which was also ruled out). Which left Wobbuffet, something that could only do 10 damage (30 with Muscle Band) against the undamaged Shaymin.

And my opponent was able to exploit this with the following strategy

-Have active Shaymin take a hit.
-Bench another one.
-Attach DCE to active Shaymin.
-Sky return, return Shaymin to hand (denying me a prize), and promoting the benched Shaymin to take the next hit.
-Rinse and repeat.

And as long as I had nothing that could one shot that pesky Shaymin, my opponent could keep this up until one of us decked out (I scooped before that happened). As if Shaymin isn't broken enough as it is.

Realizing this huge weakness, I added in a Deoxys RS that with Muscle Band, can hit the magic 110. At the very least, it should pressure my opponent to send in a different attacker for Mega Gengar to copy. (though I could also break the lock with head ringer)

The tech deoxys for gengar is something I already have. Though I never thought about how scary Shaymin could be for a gengar deck.

Not really sure if this fits, but pre-rotation I was running some form of milotic/keldeo deck during a league game I can't remember against someone using Night March. We're both doing pretty poorly, so the game drags on for a while and they're at their last prize card, leaving me with just a Feebas out, and their Mew EX had just 10hp too.

What makes this interesting however, is I'd somehow managed to mill them so they'd ran their entire deck, and they were now with only one card in their deck while it was my turn. I had nothing in my hand of any use except a water energy, and as I mentioned only a Feebas (FLF) with Surprise Attack for 10 damage and "Flip a coin. If tails, this attack does nothing" against their 10hp Mew EX. The coin flip was very intense, though sadly I got tails and lost the game.

How about miracle draws, This one time I was in a tournament, and literally I needed my one copy of Jirachi EX to be top decked in order to win. Because, I needed an energy, so I got Sycamore, Decked myself out, and got an energy needed for Mewtwo EX to knock out my opponent's Mega charizard. Had I not had a) room on my bench, b) jirachi top decked, or c) 1 of the 9 remaining card be an energy, I would have lost.

And a strange win for me? I was put in a theme deck match. I used the Meowstic flf deck, my brother the ROS Salamence deck. I kept using skrelp spit poison and meowstic ear influence to take out the pokemon he was setting up before they hit the field, leaving his crippled poisoned pokemon locked out with no energy, and when he finally was able to attack, poison took out his pokemon and I took my last prize card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back