Steven Universe Discussion

double o squirtle

Sweet Summer Child
Hey! I noticed there's a few SU fans around here so I started a thread for it!

I'm pretty sure that those of you who have no idea what this is are asking yourselves the question "What is this, Steven Universe?". Well let me explain a little bit, it is a wonderful TV show that although may seem like a kids show to most, actually appeals to many ages and touches on some pretty deep subjects. The story's basically about a boy who's half gem (an alien species) and half human that's part of a gem resistance called the crystal gems. He fights along side them to protect the Earth while trying to get used to the powers he has as a gem.

It may seem a little weird, but I strongly encourage you to watch it if you haven't already.

Now, for those of you that have watched the show. You already know quite a bit about it, so share your thoughts about it here! Talk about your favourite character, song, fusion, episode, or maybe the just finished Summer of Steven and how you thought the plot was.

Please put anything about the show in a spoiler so we don't accidentally spoil anything for others.

Here's my thoughts!
Pearl's my favourite character. I think episodes like Say Uncle over exaggerate the worse parts of her personality, it was painful to watch. Episodes like Mr.Greg however, show a much different side of Pearl, and one that I just want to be happy in the end. My favourite episode, ooh, that's a tough one. I'd say Jail Break. It's got Ruby and Sapphire! And while Pearl's awesome, I must say Garnet really shined in that episode, and she finished it off with Stronger than You as well, which an awesome song and my favourite. The majority of Summer Adventures had a pretty good plot IMO, it wasn't too fast for the most part, and showed both humour and development.

Last edited:

quakingpunch73

At The Beach
Even though it was the most recent episode, it has to be my favorite. It has great animation, gives the viewer insight into how fusions stay together, has some great moments that show the differences in Steven and Connie (and shows the best and worst in both of them), and has Garnet and Stevonnie sing Here Comes a Thought.

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
Nice, I was planning on making a discussion thread for SU but I was too busy with other things to do so. Hopefully we can include some SU merch discussion as well.
Even though it was the most recent episode, it has to be my favorite. It has great animation, gives the viewer insight into how fusions stay together, has some great moments that show the differences in Steven and Connie (and shows the best and worst in both of them), and has Garnet and Stevonnie sing Here Comes a Thought.
The animation for Mindful Education is especially good, but there's a good reason for that...
Takafumi Hori of Studio Trigger fame was a guest animator for the episode.

Robin Aisaga

Ginger Lillie > Regular Lillie
I don't like Steven Universe as much as I did before. Though I must say the song in the last episode was very pleasant. I don't like how Steven Universe is progressing at the moment. I understand that a look inside the heads of the characters is important after what the crystal gems have been through. It makes sense and it helps the watchers bond with the characters. But I don't like it when the story is on hold for this purpose. I prefer when story and bonding is combined, I hope you guys get what I'm saying >.> I'm so curious how this serie will end, because I definitly don't expect a cliché. Maybe it will end somewhat similar to Neon Genesis: Evangelion (lol)

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod
This is something I posted elsewhere online:

Okay so we all know how compassionate Steven is towards others, but he hardly shows self-love. He's always trying to get everyone through THEIR issues, and just beats himself up with his own. I think Steven does this because he's afraid of confrontation, and that he'll feel selfish for putting his issues before his friends. This causes a lot of inner turmoil, and is just gonna eat the poor boy up on the inside. What do you all think? Will Steven EVER solve his own issues?

To add to this, Mindful Education may have actually made Steven's issues with this worse. I really think right now his feelings about Rose Quartz are his biggest problem, since it was the biggest manifestation in Stevvonie's mind space.

double o squirtle

Sweet Summer Child
What do you all think? Will Steven EVER solve his own issues?
I think it's likely, I just don't think it's going to happen any time soon. I mean with all the things being thrown at him there's bound to be an episode where he'll start to get over them, but there's too much that's been going on for it to be solved within one episode. It'll probably be like Amethyst where there's a series of episodes where she starts to overcome her doubts and self hate, but does it slowly.

garbodorable

Aspiring Trainer
I caught up on the past few seasons recently, loving the various character arcs, and Mindful Education really blew me away. I've had depression/anxiety problems most of my life, and I don't think I've ever seen what is basically a cognitive therapy exercise turned into a piece of entertainment so effectively.

Also I really hope they make the show's music available somewhere soon. That was proposed for Adventure Time over and over, but it's almost like the music and animation industries can't get on the same page, or Estelle's label will come after them or something.

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod
Also I really hope they make the show's music available somewhere soon. That was proposed for Adventure Time over and over, but it's almost like the music and animation industries can't get on the same page, or Estelle's label will come after them or something.

@garbodorable Some of the music is available on Aivi & Surashu's Soundcloud, check there. :)

Less than 2 hours to the new ep! So excited!!!

Leronne

Bug Pokemon Lover
I wasn't initially on board with steven U. I was in the "cartoons today suck, i miss the 90's" mentality so i kinda missed out on quite a few shows the started airing around 2010. I an fully caught up with a bunch of them now, though. Anyways. Steven U didn't grab me at first. Steven was just kind of annoying and it turned me off from the show. Then a friend recommended it to me so i gave it another shot. Steven and the gems quickly started to grow on me, but what sealed the deal for me was 'Lars and the cool kids'. Steven going off on Lars was just, man.
Steven currently sits as my fourth favorite CN show. You can tell which is first, but second and third is KND and Grim adventures respectively. If i'm rating them as objectively as possible, Steven would be second.
Like OP, Pearl is my favorite character. I love her ballet-like fighting style and just everything in general. Unlike OP however, Say Uncle has one of my favorite portrayals of hers. "THAT'S NOT MY BABY" remains one of my favorite quotes :D (honestly that episode was just hillarious).
Although i'm not a big fan of steven bombs (having to wait longer for new episodes is kind of annoying), summer of steven was amazing.
Absolutely loved it. So much was learned and so many great moments i can't even name them all. I wasn't a fan of 'the new Lars'. It's great that it build on Lars and Sadie's relantionship, but man was it hard to get through. Favorite episodes are definitely all the episodes involving Bismuth and Jasper. So much was revealed about Rose. A character almost as mysterious as the diamonds themeselves. And gems reaction when steven finds out about pink diamond's demise was priceless. Seeing peri and lapis get along was a very nice treat, but i was geeking the hell out when peri got a new ability. Recent episodes have also been awesome, particularly 'mindful education'.

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕

By far the best SU song of this season!

My thoughts on the episode:
By far my favorite episode of this season. I love how deep the show is getting! Steven and Connie having personal problems, clouding their minds makes for a great episode! Jasper, Bismuth, and Rose in Steven's conscience was great. It made so much sense, with the kind of person Steven is, and what's happened to him recently. Not to mention, the final bit when they were falling, and had to save themselves using Stevonnie's floating powers was a perfect example of them overcoming their consciences. It was a beautiful episode, and episodes like this in the deep, deep show of Steven Universe will never be overlooked.

It's just funny. Steven Universe is like the only show on Cartoon Network with more than a minimal sense of continuing plot stringing through their episodes.

double o squirtle

Sweet Summer Child
Gem Harvest finally aired just recently!
I'll admit, I didn't see this coming. Sure it wasn't that deep of an episode, but I think it's one of the better ones that's supposed to show story outside of the main plot. It was really nice to see that Steven has family on his dad's side. What are we on? The 4th season? There's been quite a few episodes but all that's really been confirmed about Greg's family was that they owned a barn and were sort of hoarders. I can't really think of anyything else. So then comes Uncle Andy and I realize that there's actually a lot more to that side of Steven's family. I kinda liked his character, not wanting to change even though he's being left behind, but realizing in the end that maybe he needs to change a bit if he wants to be with the rest of his family. And there was that adorable beginning with Peridot and Lapis trying to grow plants thinking they'll walk and talk too. That was a nice way to start the episode. Overall, I liked it quite a bit.