Help Stealth Rocks in doubles

Speedin134

Master Trainer
Hi guys. I'm pretty much brand new to playing doubles. I've only really played singles all my life and I realize there's a huge difference. My question today regards my Ferrothorn. He currently knows Stealth Rocks, Iron Defense, Leech Seed, and Protect. I've been hearing a lot that running stealth rocks in doubles is a terrible strategy. Can anyone explain to me why its so terrible and what I can do to make my poor Ferrothorn more viable in doubles?
All help is appreciated :)

Stealth Rock isn't good because switches aren't common in doubles. In VGC format you only can use four of your six Pokemon making it even less helpful. Thunder Wave is really good on Ferrothorn because then it paralyzes an opponent. You also should use either Power Whip or Gyro Ball instead of Iron Defense because double targetting occurs. Power Whip is preferable if you are using Thunder Wave because Gyro Ball does more damage if the opponent is fast.

By the way, same goes for Toxic Spikes and Spikes. Also, in addition to the fact that these moves do not affect Levitate and Flying-type users, Toxic Spikes is also bad because in doubles, you better have other status conditions on your opponent's Pokemon. This makes me wondering though, are these moves good in 6v6 doubles ? Like doubles OU?

By the way, same goes for Toxic Spikes and Spikes. Also, in addition to the fact that these moves do not affect Levitate and Flying-type users, Toxic Spikes is also bad because in doubles, you better have other status conditions on your opponent's Pokemon. This makes me wondering though, are these moves good in 6v6 doubles ? Like doubles OU?
Stealth Rock and Spikes have a lot more use. While switching isn't as common, the fights being longer and the rarity of Defog means that having that bit of extra damage can be really useful. As the games are always so fast, though, the turns spent setting it up are oftentimes not worth it due to the hyper offensive nature of the tier. It really depends on the team I think.

Back