State of the game Emerging Powers-ON

Mr.Ferrari

Torterra.
The state of the game as I see it will come down to two types of decks, deck type one is the rush deck that abuses Pokemon catcher to disrupt set up and take early prizes. Deck type two is the slower set up type deck that will most likely focus on making catcher useless or doing some ridiculous combo.

As I see it decks that will be like this are:

type 1 SPEED:

donphan variants, zekrom variants, Illimuse/Volbeat, these are just 3 examples I see really working, anything that hits for low energy early will be played.

type 2 Set-up:

Vinnalux/vileplume, vileplume variants, Gothitelle, magnezone variants

so basically stage one's that can hit and any stage twos that can do other stuff.

there could be a third type but not many pokemon fall in there so a combo of both like say Beatic and vileplume you don't really need need need vileplume but its nice to have.

CARDS MENTIONED IN THIS POST:
Pokemon Catcher Gothruzelle Beartic Vanilluxe Donphan Zekrom Volbeat illimuse Magnezone Prime

Shaymin Lv.X

Vissen zijn nat.
RE: State of the game Empowering Legends-ON

Ehm. the name for the next set is Emerging powers btw.
the third type is i think just Lostzone variants?

bwaaaa

TVtropes<3 Pokebeach<3

I think there are 4 different types of decks

OHKO decks
-The aim of these decks are to get ohkos on all of the meta. e.g. Magneboar

Tank
-The aim of these decks are to be able to survive at least 1 hit from all decks. e.g. Samurott

Speed/Swarm
-the aim of these decks are to out speed and overwhelm your opponent. e.g. Stage 1 swarm

Lost Zone
-The aim of these decks are to win using lost world by having 6 pokemon in the opponents lost zone. e.g. Mewgar

Bwaaaa

Zhaituki

The hollowized typhlosion tamer.

Storm_Front said:
Expect Zekromadus to become a popular deck.
Zekrom/Tornadus? Lol i don't think that works all that well compared to Zekromega.

scizorlicious

Now with one fewer 's'

We gotta add "lock" to the list. Anything that wears down your opponent by cutting off resources is in a class of its own. Maybe not Tier 1, but some will still be meta.

Zhaituki

Scizorliscious said:
We gotta add "lock" to the list. Anything that wears down your opponent by cutting off resources is in a class of its own. Maybe not Tier 1, but some will still be meta.

BearPlume (Beartic/Vileplume) and VVV (Vanilluxe/Victini/Vileplume) atleast go into that category. but..... they not all that good, VVV indeed surely locks the opponent. but there's less space for other cards if you add finisher tech like kyurem.

Mr.Ferrari

Torterra.

well this was just a general how decks will play slower and faster abusing catcher and not.

I will make a better list later today.

CFOURCOLTSFAN

Aspiring Trainer

Speed-Zekrom
Anti-Metagame-Stage One toolbox
OHKO-Magneboar
Lock-Vileplume

That seems to be a solid list, and you can pretty much cram the other stuff into those areas, i list stage one as anti metagame b/c it just beats a lot of other stuff by having a counter for everything.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer

The only 2 Lost Zone variant decks in HGSS-On is MewGar and LostCario however MewGar works a little differently compared to LostCario even though they are similiar in terms of strategy and gameplay.

MewGar relies on using Mew Prime as a Starter to See Off Gengar Prime while benching Shaymin to transfer energies with Celebration Wind, Mr. Mime for Trick Reveal, Spiritomb for Spooky Whirlpool, and Jirachi to Bounce Evolutions back to your Opponent's hand with Time Hollow while using Super Scoop Up and Seeker to re-use Shaymin and Spiritomb. I've seen Cleffa ran in MewGar and while it does offer nice draw cycling it helps in your Opponent's favor while asleep which can be a major downside to it.

LostCario on the other hand focuses on sending it's own Pokemon into the Lost Zone in order to power-up Lucario and Mew Prime for Dimension Sphere to draw prizes and sweep. Against MewGar you let them Hurl into Darkness with Gengar Prime via Mew Prime's Lost Link to power up your Lucario and Mew Prime to KO as many Pokemon before they draw into Lost World or Twins while you forestall them from their wincon with Judge. It's really a speed race and it's a really fun challenge.

I managed to win against MewGar with LostCario at least once and it was close, 1 game I was 3 prizes away from winning because my Opponent drew into a Twins to get Lost World and the other I had the advantage when my Opponent couldn't get a See Off setup with Mew Prime and I kept using Dimension Sphere with Lucario and
Mew Prime for prizes before she had a chance to Lost Zone Gengar Prime to win.

ashinto

Aspiring Trainer

I think you mean HGSS-Emerging Powers...

As for your decks that are listed, Vanilluxe isn't going to be in the set, and if it is, it's going to be a pretty big surprise.

With what we know that's coming out of this set, I can see Zekrom being huge. The ability to set up on turn one is great and with catcher, they can pick off KOs in 6 turns (4 Catchers and 4 Junk Arms means that you can use catcher up to 8 times if needed). Lock decks are going to have to be either disruption based, controlling the hand/deck, or trainer lock, with the only good trainer locker being Vileplume, which can be tough to set up seeing how you're going to need to drop 2 oddish down on the same turn, so you are guarenteed the chance of setting up a Vileplume next turn to stop catcher.

Tank decks are pretty much going to be a thing of the past in my opinion. Everything is going to have to be fast and quick hitting in this format, just like SP was to tell you the truth. Expect a rise in big basics (the Genies, Reshi, Zek) and stage ones (Donphan, Zoroark, Yanmega, Cinccino, Beartic).

And PokePhenom, the only good deck that's going to use special conditions that we know about is MewPluff/Vileplume/Muk/Yanmega, but besides that, Catcher kills Leafeon which would be the only other deck that uses special conditions.

Zhaituki

ashinto said:
I think you mean HGSS-Emerging Powers...

As for your decks that are listed, Vanilluxe isn't going to be in the set, and if it is, it's going to be a pretty big surprise.

With what we know that's coming out of this set, I can see Zekrom being huge. The ability to set up on turn one is great and with catcher, they can pick off KOs in 6 turns (4 Catchers and 4 Junk Arms means that you can use catcher up to 8 times if needed). Lock decks are going to have to be either disruption based, controlling the hand/deck, or trainer lock, with the only good trainer locker being Vileplume, which can be tough to set up seeing how you're going to need to drop 2 oddish down on the same turn, so you are guarenteed the chance of setting up a Vileplume next turn to stop catcher.

Tank decks are pretty much going to be a thing of the past in my opinion. Everything is going to have to be fast and quick hitting in this format, just like SP was to tell you the truth. Expect a rise in big basics (the Genies, Reshi, Zek) and stage ones (Donphan, Zoroark, Yanmega, Cinccino, Beartic).

And PokePhenom, the only good deck that's going to use special conditions that we know about is MewPluff/Vileplume/Muk/Yanmega, but besides that, Catcher kills Leafeon which would be the only other deck that uses special conditions.
Those that say Stage 2 is hard to setup, let me laugh. with enough candies you can easily get then T2-T3. Also you don't even nearly always draw catcher from deck in T1-T2... Also Zekrom deck is so luck based that i don't get good results with it.

Argentine

WTF= Welcome To Finland... Yes I am Argentine.

@ Zhaituki: I'm going to say, that these people in the other side world, so their gaming style is much different than in Finland or Japan (myself, I prefer Japanese ideas). Stop liking your decks (out of topic), because they are not interesting to these ones. :p

I think that most of decks will play Gatcher, but if Gatcher. It is possible that people starts to play Vileplume/Beartic or Vileplume/?? in their decks. Fast decks can be run well when Vileplume-variants have cards what they really to set up quickly.

Jahikoi

Aspiring Trainer
The difference between SP decks, and stage 1 decks with catcher?

The only difference is you're evolving instead of leveling up.

ashinto

Aspiring Trainer
Stage 1 toolbox is going to be a pretty fun deck to play, though there is going to be one problem with it; the list itself. A person who does extremely well with a Stage 1 toolbox is going to have to be extremely good at understand there metagame and what to counter it with.

ProudPokePlayer

An Ker-Otaku, if you will...
I'm just wondering how Gothitelle is changing the format with Catcher itself. Its Ability is very powerful but its OHKO potential is pretty crappy (unless facing a Cinccino deck...).

solo60694

Pikachu Collector
A huge card in this upcoming addition to the game is the Pokemon Catcher card.
To have to not flip for a reversal will change the game from its current format.
Pooka lost at U.S. national championships becuase of the flips, now that this cards turns a flip into an automatic action will make the game different. Stage 2 decks will not be able to set up as easy, I.E. you set oddish on the bench, attack, on my turn I catcher oddish up and one shot it with a donphan.

Its something to think about anyways, i think this one card will make a bigger impact on the game then any other card in the set. well theres always victiny sharpedo (50/50 chance to make your opponent discard his or her hand).

Glace

Top 8, Worlds 2013
Advanced Member
solo60694 said:
A huge card in this upcoming addition to the game is the Pokemon Catcher card.
To have to not flip for a reversal will change the game from its current format.
Pooka lost at U.S. national championships becuase of the flips, now that this cards turns a flip into an automatic action will make the game different. Stage 2 decks will not be able to set up as easy, I.E. you set oddish on the bench, attack, on my turn I catcher oddish up and one shot it with a donphan.

ya. Catcher will make tank and stage 2 decks less popular.