Starting New With My Son

Seth Mullinax

Aspiring Trainer
So my son is eight years old, and we have bought him Pokemon cards for quite a long time now. We have a pretty massive collection, but he just played with them and enjoyed looking at them for the longest time. We've learned to play the actual game and did so with some of the starter decks over his last few years. It wasn't until we went to Target within the last year and purchased the World Championship decks (four different ones), that I became aware of just how much strategic depth there is involved.

We played those decks over and over, before shuffling through all of his cards (a metric ton, from many different sets), and made our own decks. It was a lot of fun, and I'm proud of both of our decks (I'll post them shortly, they are quite embarrassing, but really cool considering we had no outside help). They aren't really cohesive, just a bunch of strong Pokemon with good trainer cards.

Reading the pamphlets that came with the Championship decks was also really cool, and we both play the games on our 3ds. I am planning on taking him to an event, one of the larger ones, as I am sure he will have a blast.

With that said, I want to order us some singles and get us an actual decently constructed deck (nothing tournament worthy, and nothing that is too metagame-y (making our own has been a lot of the fun)). I understand that the meta is super fast and all of this, I'm not looking to wreck shop or win this thing, just for the two of us to have some fun. Especially when we play against each other. He is VERY interested in a Zygarde deck from the new set, so I am pouring through the Standard legal database looking for him some synergy there. Meanwhile, I have decided on a Gengar Damage counter deck (below).

Right now I have three skeletons that I was wondering if you friendly folks could help me with. No need to critique all three, unless you want. Any input at all is good. Of course I know the decks are really slow, just wanting to reiterate that I am looking for a well constructed deck, even if it is slightly too slow for the meta game.

Skeleton 1 - BatGar - 74 Cards
Gengar x4
Haunter x1
Gastly x4
Crobat x2
Golbat x2
Zubat x2
Forretress x3
Pineco x3
Swellow x2
Taillow x2

Sycamore x4
Brigette x4
AZ x4
Lysandre x2
Xerosix x2

Sacred Ash x4
Level Ball x4
Ultra Ball x4
Devolution Spray x4
Rare Candy x4
VS Seeker x4
Target Whislte x2
Dimension Valley x2

Psychic Energy x5

Skeleton 2 - KazamGar - 71 Cards
Gengar x4
Haunter x1
Gastly x4
M Alakazam EX x4
Alakazam EX x4
Absol x2

Sycamore x4
Pokemon Fan Club x4
AZ x4
Lysandre x3
Xerosic x2

VS Seeker x4
Ultra Ball x4
Devolution Spray x4
Rare Candy x4
Alakazam Spirit Link x4
Super Rod x3
Mega Catcher x2
Target Whistle x2

Mystery Energy x4
Psychic Energy x4

Skeleton 3 - NinjaGar - 73
Gengar x3
Haunter x1
Gastly x3
Greninja BREAK x2
Greninja (Shuriken) x3
Frogadier x 2
Froakie x3
Octillery x2
Remoraid x2

Sycamore x4
Wally x4
Brigette x4
Fisherman x2
Lysandre x2
Xerosic x2

VS Seeker x4
Rare Candy x4
Dive Ball x3
Super Rod x2
Professors Letter x2
Ultra Ball x2
Evosoda x2
Silent Lab x4

Psychic Energy x4
Water Energy x7

In playing with kids (even my own) over the years, I've found that starting with simple, "straightforward" decks work best in helping most kids first learn and master the game mechanics. Simple decks that supported games where the child can:
Start game;
Setup the game (Active, prizes and bench);
Start turn by first drawing a card;
Play item(s) - search for a Pokemon, attach a Tool, etc.;
Play a Supporter - draw card(s);
Place Pokemon on bench if need be;
Attach an energy if you can);
Attack and inflict damage onto the Defending Pokemon (if you can);
Take prize(s), if need be; and
End turn.

The "learner" decks we used did not have any complicated strategies; they were basically "start turn-search-draw card(s)-attach-attack-end turn" type of decks. More game mechanics (Abilities, Status conditions, Pokemon combinations, Stage 2 Pokemon, etc.) were introduced over time as the kids progressed in their learning of the game. These were also great opportunities to help kids to also learn good competitive and conduct skills too.

After kids master the basics and if they showed "enthusiasm" for the game in wanting to use more "complex" (i.e., competitive) decks, then playing decks utilizing "complex" game strategies can be introduced. My first priority in teaching kids has been to introduce and maintain the "fun" factor of the game. So, starting with the basics and moving (at the child's pace and competitive nature) to the complex has worked quite well for me over the past.

Given your first deck list, it seems your son is in the realm of "complex" deck play perhaps based upon your use of multiple stage 2 lines within the same deck. If you were to review the decks in the Deck Garage, I would suspect that most decks running any Stage 2 line would limit the lines to just 1, not 2. Stage 2 decks are inherently slow to setup. Running multiple Stage 2 lines can increase setup significantly - to a point where you may be lose several prizes early-mid game and may not be able to ever catch up... One deck building rule you might want to consider is to keep your deck "simple and consistent." As an example, you have Forretress lines for damage counter drops, do you really need the Crobat lines too? I'd suggest using one or the other, but not both.

In regards to your KazamGar deck, M Alakazam EX will be a mighty "beast" all by itself and would not need any assistance from the Gengar line at all, in my opinion... Remember to review the Deck Garage Forum for deck ideas and/or examples. I know that there is at least 2 deck posts regarding the new Alakazam EX.

Lastly, your NinjaGar list is too complicated; Gengar requires setup (slow) and would not be that effective versus just using Greninja (and Octillery for supplemental card-draw support).

After trimming each list to a 60-card deck, consider posting each one into the Deck Garage for specific comments and feedback about that particular deck.

Lastly (really this time), as one Poke parent to another, the investment (your time and $) you are making with your son is "priceless" and I encourage you to continue building "cherished memories" with him (and any future children too)... (note: my youngest is now in grad school, but we still discuss our past games, trips together, etc.).

^ Great advice. This reminds me of how I started with my Dad way back when. :')

You have decent concepts, but you just need to trim them down a bit. Tournament legal decks contain 60 cards, so these lists will need to cut quite a few, unfortunately. I can see you like supplementing your decks with Gengar. Perhaps it would be ideal to take Gengar out of your decks to maximize consistency from the other main attacker? For instance, you're "NinjaGar" list isn't too far off from a solid Greninja list, except that it includes a gengar line. My advice would be to choose a strategy or Pokemon and build a deck entirely around that. Hope this helps, and if you ever decide to get really competitive, consider signing up for the premium article program ;)

Best of luck! This post brings back great memories..

Back