Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Pokemon.com has announced the next Standard format rotation will take place in early 2023. (In the past, the rotation has always occurred in August or September.) No specific date has been announced yet. When the rotation occurs, all cards with a “D” regulation mark will no longer be legal.
This means the latest set for Worlds 2022 will be July’s Pokemon GO set, as implied in our Lost Origin news story the other day. All cards with a “D” regulation mark will be legal.
Pokemon.com also announced the following cards — all “special” promos — are banned from Worlds 2022. This is because they were not released worldwide:

Special Delivery Pikachu (Black Star Promo, SWSH074)...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

TheRainmaker

I like Expanded
I really like this since we didn't really get a chance to fully enjoy the latest format at real life events due to covid (Tag Teams were still legal for half a year when covid hit the West). While the best decks in format revolve around Regulation E and F attackers (Palkia VStar, Mew Vmax, Arceus Vstar, etc), there are a lot of useful support cards in D such as the Inteleon engine, Marnie, Crobat V, etc etc.

BreakfastScrub

Aspiring Trainer
Of course they wait until the exact day AFTER I sold all my secrets/full arts thinking they were rotating. I'm so upset I don't even want to play now.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
I really like this since we didn't really get a chance to fully enjoy the latest format at real life events due to covid (Tag Teams were still legal for half a year when covid hit the West). While the best decks in format revolve around Regulation E and F attackers (Palkia VStar, Mew Vmax, Arceus Vstar, etc), there are a lot of useful support cards in D such as the Inteleon engine, Marnie, Crobat V, etc etc.
^ Or maybe this rotation is synced with Japan's January(as opposed to the non-Japanese September) rotation, given the regulation marks started w/ Japan, but didn't make it across the Pacific until Sword & Shield's D block, so maybe this upcoming rotation cycle, both regions' rotations will happen at same time. If no worldwide synced releases are possible, how about worldwide synced rotations?

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
^ Or maybe this rotation is synced with Japan's January(as opposed to the non-Japanese September) rotation, given the regulation marks started w/ Japan, but didn't make it across the Pacific until Sword & Shield's D block, so maybe this upcoming rotation cycle, both regions' rotations will happen at same time. If no worldwide synced releases are possible, how about worldwide synced rotations?
Yes! That was my harebrained theory on Twitter that is now far less harebrained given today's announcement.

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
What about the other Celebration cards(Dragapult Prime,Zacian LVX etc...)?

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
Interesting. This probably also means that we're not getting those other F-Block reprints and that they were a leftover from before this decision was made. We'll get them in SV base as G-Block with new art instead.

I wish this had happened last year so we could have had that cool Vikavolt deck legal.

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
Well that’s certainly unusual, the TCG hasn’t gotten a rotation this weird since the game moved to HS-on back in 2011.

As far as the bans go I’m not too surprised by ‘em, those cards never really had any sort of use outside being collector’s item anyways.

Edsylan

Aspiring Trainer
Well that’s certainly unusual, the TCG hasn’t gotten a rotation this weird since the game moved to HS-on back in 2011.

As far as the bans go I’m not too surprised by ‘em, those cards never really had any sort of use outside being collector’s item anyways.
This is the first time we're using the japanese system for rotation (we're rotating a block instead of a list of sets), which made some people suspect rotation would probably follow the japanese date as well.

And in some ways it makes sense, after some rotations before, you could really feel how that format wasn't supposed to exist (often missing decent amount of essential cards in the format until the set next to the japanese rotation).

As for the bans, i think the main reason they did it is because those cards are not avaliable in all regions.

Last edited: