SSBM Question

Arcanine 274

=/
I have heard talk about "Wavedashing" and "Waveshine" (correct name?). I was just wondering how you accomplish this? Apparently it's by abusing the game's physics, but I don't know how to actually pull it off.

Anyone help?

Arcanine out.

I'm not an expert at wavedashing yet, but I can tell you how to do it.

What you do is jump in the air, and immediately air dodge diagonally into the ground. If you do it right, you'll see some smoke come off your character, and you will slide on the ground a distance. It varies with each character. Also, jump with either X or Y instead of the control stick since you will need to use it to air dodge.

Luigi's wavedash is the longest and easiest to notice. Marth and Ice Climbers have good wavedashes too. Try practicing with Luigi in Final Destination.

Waveshining, I believe, is wavedashing and ending with Fox's/Falco's Reflector.

Even though I'm not an expert either, I can give some more details.

You're going to want to air dodge art the sharpest angle possible; the sharper the angle, the farther you slide.

Waveshining is a tad more difficult. As Fox (you pull the waveshine with Fox. His moves them straight forward. Falco's doesn't work because it hits them upward.) you use the shine, immediately jump to cancel the lag of the shine, and then wavedash back to the ground right in front of where your oppenent is hit to. Then you use another shine and repeat the process. It's pretty hard, but if you can get good at it you can get people up to incredibly high percentages on certain levels just hitting them against a wall.

Also, the easiest characters to waveshine are Ganondorf and Link.

[ChanseyMaster]

Alright, here comes some n00bness. Define air dodge, because I may or may not know what you're talking about. But I can figure out everything besides that.

Arcanine out.

Jump + L or R + move control stick up, down, left, or right = air dodge

Well, PMJ and ChanseyMaster looks like they got it all covered on how to do it... :/

As a sidenote, I found it easier to jump with Y for wavedashing while you hold the control stick diagonally. Also, keep in mind, some characters take longer to get off the ground (like Fox and Falco) so you might have to "delay" your air dodge in order to wavedash with those characters. It's pretty much up to practicing so it will take time to get it (and even more time to incorporate it into you gameplay.)

There's my two cents. :]

Maybe I might be able to explain it. PMJ is right about air dodging though. It's simply a dodge in the air. When you're in the air you simply press L or R and your character will air dodge then fall back to the ground. You can direct your air dodges by moving the control stick in certain directions as you air dodge.

For Wavedashing though, as you've stated Arcanine 274 it is an abuse of game physics. It's not a glitch, yet it wasn't intended to be in SSBM in the 1st place. Each character "slides" and has variations in how far and fast they slide. You can sort of notice how much characters slide by running then letting go of the control stick, they will (for a very short time) slide a little bit. What wavedashing does is purposely air dodging diagonally INTO the stage which causes the character to slide far further than they normally would.

Wavedashing however is not an easy task to learn. It has taken me quite a while to get it going naturally when I play so don't expect immediate results for at least a week after starting to learn. It is best to watch Wavedashing videos of what it's supposed to look like and instructions on how to do it. While watching these and with constant practice you will get it quite easily. As already stated Luigi has the longest wavedash and can slide quite far and very quickly along stages. If you want to learn to wavedash then Luigi is highly recommended. Also some characters have very short wavedashes which are basically pointless to try with, like Peach. I could only find this small wavedashing tutorial and it goes through some of the basics which wavedashers do.

Waveshining has already been explained so I won't go there. However if you want to know what waveshining looks like then watch this 15sec video of how it's done.

Also, the main reason why wavedashing is such a good thing to learn isn't just because you slide. You are also temporarily "invincible" during that slide. You can also use moves during it. Wavedashing is hard enough to get down, let alone get a resulting attack after it. I usually follow mine up with a simple throw or downward attack, but I've seen some insane videos where people wavedash just to avoid another wavedash attack. Insane...

And I never heard of waveshining before, that video was pretty interesting.

Alchemist_Almighty said:
Also, the main reason why wavedashing is such a good thing to learn isn't just because you slide. You are also temporarily "invincible" during that slide. You can also use moves during it. Wavedashing is hard enough to get down, let alone get a resulting attack after it. I usually follow mine up with a simple throw or downward attack, but I've seen some insane videos where people wavedash just to avoid another wavedash attack. Insane...

And I never heard of waveshining before, that video was pretty interesting.

Uhh, no. It doesn't make you invincible. IMO, if not mastered properly, it's more risky than rolling.

Wavedashing has so many uses. One, it could be used for movement. Luigi can basically outrun any character with his wavedash alone. Another is to replace rolling and for evasive manuvers. Characters, like Samus and Yoshi, has laggy rolls so they move out of they way with wavedash. There is also waveshielding, where you wavedash into shield, thereby advancing upon your opponent without risk. The ability to do anything while moving is superb.

Wavedashing isn't NECESSARY for pro-level smash or several characters with nearly non-existent traction. When I play as Link (one of my mains), I can play perfectly fine with wavedash (his WD is horrible anyways; 2nd worst in the entire game) and some renowned pros don't even use it. In the end, it's all about mind games the player creates though this technique. ;)

The shine (Fox's reflector) is one of the biggest reason why everyone thinks Fox is god. D:

InfiniteMasterEx is correct, you're not invincible while wavedashing. It's not a roll where there are invincibility frames, it's basically standing still but sliding forward at the same time, so you can easily get hit or KOed while wavedashing.

There are lots of debates about the purpose or usefulness of wavedashing. It isn't necessary to win, many good players can win without it and many characters have wavedashes so bad you can't even use their wavedashes anyway. I for one think that wavedashing is almost a necessity to edge-hog quickly for certain characters. Characters which have horribly high slow jumps (like Samus and Luigi) have near impossible times getting to the edge and edge-hogging quickly so wavedashing is recommended for those characters in certain areas. I know that wavedashing makes Samus much better than she actually is as her roll isn't exactly good in any way, and her run isn't exactly 'fast' (quick wavedashing is faster than her run) but her Super-Wavedash also helps if you can perfect it.

InfiniteMasterEx said:
Wavedashing isn't NECESSARY for pro-level smash or several characters with nearly non-existent traction. When I play as Link (one of my mains), I can play perfectly fine with wavedash (his WD is horrible anyways; 2nd worst in the entire game) and some renowned pros don't even use it. In the end, it's all about mind games the player creates though this technique. ;)
I've seen some vids online where Ken (Marth) and Aniki (Link) where playing, and apparently Aniki doesn't even Wavedash, but holds his own easily against Ken who is oftenly called The Greatest Smasher In The World (going by what YouTube comments are saying here), and out of the two matches that they have broadcast on YouTube, he's won once, and nearly won the other.

So obviously you don't need it to be amazing. I was just wondering how you actually did it, since I tried most everything I could.

Thanks everyone for the feedback though ;).

Arcanine out.

Back