SR Rayquaza. Over Hyped and Over Priced?

Daddy

Follow Me On Twitter @robby_weidemann
This guy,

128-rayquaza.jpg

in my opinion is COMPLETLY over hyped AND priced. Yes, it can donk. Yes, it improves the garchomp mirror (slightly), but think about it. Is it really worth the deck spot, saving a blend energy for it, AND most importantly, THE MONEY!? I really don't think so, do you guys?

To be honest this card is good, but not 80 dollars good. I dont see how this card is better then Darkrai or Mewtwo, sure it can donk but how often will that actually happen, it's not worth 80 dollars for one win.

It really isn't at all. It is a secret rare, but the most it should be worth is $50. It is NOT a format breaking card.

Guys, the prices aren‘t inflated because it‘s so incredibly good, but because it‘s a rather playable card, incredibly rare (1 SR in ~3 boxes IIRC, 4 SRs in the set), and not easily replaced with anything else. This thing doesn‘t have to be Mewtwo good to be Mewtwo expensive, because it‘s more than thrice as rare.

The thing that baffles me is that so many people have payed upwards of 60-70 dollars for this card for BR's and before we even see if BR's are worth CP, or if this comes out as a promo.

Yes, you have to wait to see its success. I would buy it around the end of BRs or so I can have it for regionals to be on the safe side if its even worth it.

That's the gamble of buying Pokemon cards. If you buy them before a major usage of them and they do poorly, you will probably lose money. If you buy them and they do well, you will probably gain money. While its obviously not as playable as Mewtwo or Darkrai were, its rarity of SR gives it a far higher base value once you remove the playability factor than any EX. That's why Rayquaza SR was more expensive than them at one point. Also, cards are almost always more expensive when they first come out, especially very rare ones like SRs, due to less of them being in circulation.

Dark Void said:
That's the gamble of buying Pokemon cards. If you buy them before a major usage of them and they do poorly, you will probably lose money. If you buy them and they do well, you will probably gain money. While its obviously not as playable as Mewtwo or Darkrai were, its rarity of SR gives it a far higher base value once you remove the playability factor than any EX. That's why Rayquaza SR was more expensive than them at one point. Also, cards are almost always more expensive when they first come out, especially very rare ones like SRs, due to less of them being in circulation.

The time to buy them is mid-end BRs if you even want them. Thats's my thought on the time you should buy them regardless of popularity.

Overhyped? Possibly.

Overpriced? Definitely.

Results from tournaments aren't in yet. If this completely dominates everything, sure the price might be warranted. Right now though, the price is definitely inflated from how rare it is. Unfortunately, not much can be done about that to be honest. It was pretty predictable that this would happen though. Think about it. There's only one copy of the card and it comes in one out of three/four boxes. That's...pretty darn rare. To add on, it's pretty much the only playable Secret Rare out of the set, so there's that.

dmaster out.

Only time will tell if this card is good, only time will tell.

This card is not that good. The only deck it can be effectively used in is Eels, and the only matchup it improves is the Garchomp matchup, which should be a breeze if you run even 1 Raikou EX. It would be somewhat useful in the Eels mirror, but Mewtwo EX does what Rayquaza Shiny does much better. It's good in Rayquaza/Eels but I don't like that deck at all. To KO an eviolited EX, you need 5 energy on your Rayqauza EX (1 Fire and 4 Lightning to discard), and there's no way you're getting that in one turn.

As stated above, this card is over 3x more rare than an EX. This means that even if it's only as third as good as Mewtwo or Darkrai, the 60 dollar price tag is still theoretically justified. Personally, I think the card is absolutely terrible in this format, but what do I know?

makes an interesting tech in eelz deck, helps vs mirror match(start KOing tynamos turn 1) and against the popular garchomp deck. probably fits in other decks who knows... but i think the price is justified since you'll most likely be running a card most people aren't running. but im pretty sure a promo will come out and the price will go down.

It is good as a tech in Eels, but not needed, its only really good for koing tynamos.

JayKam said:
makes an interesting tech in eelz deck, helps vs mirror match(start KOing tynamos turn 1) and against the popular garchomp deck. probably fits in other decks who knows... but i think the price is justified since you'll most likely be running a card most people aren't running. but im pretty sure a promo will come out and the price will go down.

Spot-on the card is getting a less expensive print in Dragon Vault.

I'm probably just going to buy two of these.

I just hope they don't release any more "Shiny Only" cards.

Well, let's look at it... It's a black Rayquaza, just what did you expect? $2? It is so expensive not only because it is playable, but also because it is Rayquaza. A lot of people love Rayquaza, and that explains part of it. Think about it. The most expensive Gold Star is Rayquaza, right? In theory, that card should have only been $50 like the Lati Stars, because the edgewear right from a pack theory applies to all of them, and they are equally rare, right? Well, the reason Rayquaza Star is almost 3 times as expensive is because it is Rayquaza. Everyone loves Rayquaza,and that makes it more desirable, and thus people pay more for it. The same applies to this Rayquaza. it is one in every what, 12 boxes? If it were, say, Giratina secret rare with the exact same attacks, it would be half the price, because Giratina isn't as desirable as Rayquaza. I know people who would argue that, but that is beside the point. The playability also lends to the value just as not knowing the release date of the non SR. Now that we know we will be getting it before Regs, the price should drop by about $15-$20, but it will always be one of those things, like Gold Catcher, that stays high because it is desirable. You can get a regular Catcher for $10, but the Gold still goes for around $40. Why? because it is rarer, and it is human nature to want the rarer version. That is why Rayquaza will drop, but never below $35.

Back