Discussion Spiritomb (Sl) lock?

Hope this is the right place to put it :p. Anyway, does anyone remeber the Quad Snorlax/LaserBank deck? It was sort of a rogue deck that prevented your opponent's active from retreating. It utilized the Team Plasma Snorlax to lock them, while using Posion to take prizes. It was a fun deck, and I still play it in the Legacy format with Vileplume and Genesect EX. Now we have Spiritomb from Shining Legends. It has the same ability, but it has half the HP; which is unfortnate. Now, since we dont have LaserBank in standard, this will go more of a Mill route, using Hammers, Flare Grunts, and Handiworks. I know there is Guzma, but could this potentially be a fun/rogue deck that can win some games? Let me know your opinions! :D

I played against this "card"...in a spread deck where I play a single Guzma...I used it to bring up my Vikavolt-GX & Gigatroned- 2 Spirtombs....only to have them Stretcher & put back into active. Now I literally knew I wasn't getting out unless he KOs me, and resorted to draw & pass... However, there was no Handywork, Puzzles, or anything going on their end- and they conceeded after about 10-12 draws... it was strange. Maybe all their cards were energy denial & forgot about the milling side of things?

But could be annoying, as they need 6 KOs and at most have 4 Guzmas... but there are a lot of single attachment attacks that might not KO, but still chip away (power heater, 30 on First Impression,Garbodor)

Yeah it certainly gets KOed easily, but Fury Belts can help solve that problem. I was thinking as well of running a couple Acerolas, to maybe negate that chip damage, but I dont know how it'll work out. This would be better in expanded with Snorlax, but I kinda wanted a disruption deck to play in standard other than Sylveon. I have managed to pick up a couple of wins though. Anything that starts with an undesired active almost loses because they cant get it out, and Hammers, Flare Grunts etc prevent them from attacking.

Between Guzma, Garbotoxin, and several meta decks that outpace energy diruption (like Metagross, VikaBulu, Goli/Garb, and Volcanion) this deck would not be very functional

Between Guzma, Garbotoxin, and several meta decks that outpace energy diruption (like Metagross, VikaBulu, Goli/Garb, and Volcanion) this deck would not be very functional
Now, see here. I know Guzma and such things can let them get their active out. Garbotoxin can also be a problem. The thing all these decks have in common are they all have a Pokemon they don't want to start with. With enough Guzmas and Catchers on your side, you eventually lock something in the active. Also, dont forget they need to take 6 prizes. And to get the cards they need, they will have to draw cards. Thats exactly what we want them to do, since this is a deck out strategy. I know it isnt the most viable or competitive, but I though it could a fun, annoying deck that could pick up a few wins here and there :)

What if they just don’t put down something that will get them stuck?
Eventually, they'll have to. Take Golisopod for example. Sure they can keep poking ua for 30, but with all the E Hammers and Flare Grunts, they will eventually run out of energy, so we just pass or play Team Rocket's Handiwork. This is the same idea for any deck, not playing down any Pokemon is a bad idea. At the start f the game whos abale to tell what you are playing? Most people would go for the T1 Brigette becuase they don't know how to play the match, or because its just the thing to do in every game.

You can't assume that your opponent doesn't know what your deck does. In a league cup with a mediocre field, maybe you could trick enough people to win. In a large tournament with Bo3, where you have to go X-1-1 to top cut, you are not going to beat the experts in a Bo3.
You also lose pretty badly to decks that accelerate energy. Fire, Bulu, Xerneas BREAK, Metagross etc...

I’ve made a 4 Spiritomb + 56 trainer deck for standard.

Wait until Crimson Invasion becomes legal. Deck certainly gets a boost with Lusamine and Counter Catcher. That said, it’s tricky to use properly.

And Volcanion isn’t that hard a matchup. If they Kiawe their active, you CC or Guzma into something else. Handiwork their deck and hit as many Guzma/Switch you can. Make them play the 6 prize game. If anything, going against Greninja sucks as they can use Shuriken and kill off a Spiritomb before attacking. Technically, they could Shuriken, Guzma, Shuriken again with 2nd Greninja, and attack a 3rd Spiritomb for 80. If you didn’t get every Spiritomb out from Brigette, you’re done.

This is honestly the best shot at a solid control deck in standard right now.

Last edited:
I’ve made a 4 Spiritomb + 56 trainer deck for standard.

Wait until Crimson Invasion becomes legal. Deck certainly gets a boost with Lusamine and Counter Catcher. That said, it’s tricky to use properly.

And Volcanion isn’t that hard a matchup. If they Kiawe their active, you CC or Guzma into something else. Handiwork their deck and hit as many Guzma/Switch you can. Make them play the 6 prize game. If anything, going against Greninja sucks as they can use Shuriken and kill off a Spiritomb before attacking. Technically, they could Shuriken, Guzma, Shuriken again with 2nd Greninja, and attack a 3rd Spiritomb for 80. If you didn’t get every Spiritomb out from Brigette, you’re done.

This is honestly the best shot at a solid control deck in standard right now.
Of course, but I have tons of experience with lock/mill/disruption decks (no bragging) so I think I can play it well.

And yeah, Volcanion isnt a hard matchup. I definetly want to try out the Crimson Invasion cards in this deck. Counter Catcher will be busted in this deck. And with Revives/Rescue Stretchers to bring back Spiritomb, we can get our oppponent to play the 6 prize game

I'm cooking up a list for this right now, using Crimson Invasion cards. Anybody got any thoughts on what to add and how much of that card?

Back