Help Spiritomb debacle

Handsy Hoopa

Aspiring Trainer
The Basic psychic Spiritomb ‘Terrify’ attack reads, “If the Defending Pokemon is a basic Pokémon, it can’t attack during your opponents next turn.” My opponent believes if he benches The attacking active Spiritomb his next round that the effect no longer applies to the defender. The way I read it, including the compendium ruling, is that if he benches HIS defender the condition is erased, but it says nothing about removing my condition otherwise. Am I wrong or are they?

That is correct. If they switch their defending Pokémon to the bench, the condition still effects that Pokémon, if I’m not mistaken. However, if they switch your active to the bench, while still keeping their defending Pokémon, they would not be able to attack with that Pokémon.

That is correct. If they switch their defending Pokémon to the bench, the condition still effects that Pokémon, if I’m not mistaken. However, if they switch your active to the bench, while still keeping their defending Pokémon, they would not be able to attack with that Pokémon.
I agree with the last part, but if you bench a Pokémon ALL conditions are removed as far as the compendium reads. Which is fine. I’m looking to preserve my attack if I am benched, not if they bench their Pokémon after. Do we still agree?

All effects are removed when the Pokémon is moved to the Bench, including Special Conditions. That’s why sometimes people switch out Pokémon twice just to remove a certain effect, either by switch/switch or retreat/switch

Conditions are erased upon an active Pokemon as soon as they go to the bench. Terrify tells you where the effect is placed, so it can only affect the Pokemon defending at that time.

This comes from the Rules Team. Others have been asking for this to be added to the compendium since it's been a common question since Ultra Prism released.

Last edited:
I agree with the last part, but if you bench a Pokémon ALL conditions are removed as far as the compendium reads. Which is fine. I’m looking to preserve my attack if I am benched, not if they bench their Pokémon after. Do we still agree?
All effects are removed when the Pokémon is moved to the Bench, including Special Conditions. That’s why sometimes people switch out Pokémon twice just to remove a certain effect, either by switch/switch or retreat/switch
Oh, right. I kept thinking that it didn’t, because of some stupid PTCGO glitch I encountered a while ago.

Back