• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Speed Darkrai HGSS-On

Milky

4 Mewtwo 4 Revive 48 Energy 4 DCE
Perfecting my speed Darkrai deck before season end. Any constructive criticism is appreciated.

Speed Darkrai (60)

Pokemon:
3 Darkrai EX
4 Smeargle
=7

Trainers:
4 Ultra Ball
4 Random Receiver
4 Switch
4 Junk Arm
4 Catcher
4 Dark Patch
3 Eviolite
2 Plus Power

4 Professor Juniper
4 Professor Oak's New Theory

2 Skyarrow Bridge
=40 (41)

Energy:
12 Darkness Energy
=12

Free Space: 1

I'm not sure what to include for the last three cards. Perhaps a super rod. I cannot however, go 4 Darkrai, as that is much too expensive. Maybe N? It's just, whenever I want N with Random Receiver I don't get it. Whenever I don't want it, I get it. Perhaps super scoop up, an amazing card for clutch situations. Or Super Rod, an amazing card for getting back dead Darkrai since I only run 3.

There is a common misconception with Straight and Speed Darkrai lists.

Straight Darkrai is a straight 4 Darkrai aimed at getting T2 Night Spear and healing damage with the use of Super Scoop Up, Max Potion and Shaymin for prize denial.

Speed Darkrai is a brutal deck that relies on multiple usages of Smeargle and supporters to set up Darkrai in one turn. The Straight Darkrai deck more often than not cannot do this because of inconsistent starts or lack of a form of retreat once Smeargle is in the active position. Therefore, Speed Darkrai does not constitute any form of Shaymin, and therefore, no Mewtwo EX, despite massive Mewtwo sweeps with 7 energy. Once this deck goes off and gets a prize lead, the game is secured.

Although this would just cause a trouble with more free space:

-1 smeargle
+1 Darkrai
-1 PONT
-1 Random Receiver
+1 Eviolite, if so -1 Dark claw

Personally, I'm not a fan of dark claw, but it's up to you.

I share your concern regarding the amount of Darkrai I run. PokemonDanLv45 ran straight Darkrai with only three and had two prized. I would run four but since this list is a reflection of what I can and can't get, it's not too thrilling considering next format I will only be using 3 Darkrai in Hydrai, dropping $35 for something I won't need after worlds isn't too thrilling.

4 Smeargle is included mainly for drawing into it and getting two or more Smeargle out, abusing Switch and Skyarrow to get multiple portraits in a single turn. By running four, you have a 66% to draw Smeargle T1. That alone is a very healthy number and I would not like to reduce that number anymore.

I thought people would be suggesting more supporters like N, not to decrease my supporter count. 4 Juniper and PONT are staples in the HGSS-On format, but running N is a matter for debate. N hurts Darkrai more than any other deck, and with a high random receiver count, you will whiff on N more often than you'd like. Disruption is a great thing to have, but when your deck is built to be in the prize lead, it is a troll card.

I understand 3 Eviolite is the new Pokemon card fad. A lot of people are running more than 2 nowadays. Speed Darkrai's purpose is not to allow the opponent any time to set up; applying early game pressure. I'm willing to bet T1 110 and 30 to the bench is a lot more scary than sponging damage. I will increase the Eviolite count without removing any Dark Claw and get back to you with how play testing goes, but as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather increase Dark Claw count instead.

What does everyone think of Super Scoop Up in this deck, it's such a great clutch card.

I would definately consider adding 2 or 3 SSU, or maybe even max potions, or both! :) I understand that you just want speed-Darkrai, which is a viable deck, but whenever I build a darkrai deck I build it very much like Jay Hornung's Darkrai Mewtwo. It's fast, consistent, and can play as almost 2 seperate decks depending on the start. I know that's not what you're going for, but it's always nice to consider a deck that got Top 4 at U.S Nationals.

I see what you mean regarding the Evioite. I really like 3 Eviolite actually, it gives Darkrai a lot more longevity.

Jay's deck was essentially straight Darkrai with more than one Mewtwo. 3 Mewtwo is definitely the play for worlds and I can see where you're coming from, it is a great list.

Removed Dark Claw completely and added 3 Eviolite. Adding 2 Plus Powers. 1 space left.

Jay's decklist wasn't that great though. Only 3 catcher? Minus 30 swag points.

Back