Special energy limits?

Shining Crobat EX

The Data of Existence
ok, now that i got ur attention, earlier I read u could'nt have more than 4 metal energies in ur deck. Is it true? I thought all Energies could be boundless in a deck. I wasn 't sure on the rulings so i had to ask, srry 4 my incompetence.

B_F: Lay off the caps lock please.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
RE: SPECIAL ENERGY RULINGS!

If it's not a basic Energy card, you can only have a maximum of four in your deck.

Special Energy Cards are not basic Energy, so you can only have 4 of any one kind in your deck.

Technically, 59 is the limit for basic Energy, but that's splitting hairs.

DocRobot_K-176

Red Raging Rampage
Essentially, any energy card that is labeled "Special Energy Card" you can only have up to 4 copies of in your deck. Same goes for Double Colorless Energy, even though it is not labeled "Special Energy Card"

The only exception to this rule is during pre-release tournaments. You can have as many copies of any card as you like, but your deck can only have 40 cards.

Of course, if you end up drafting 6 Darkness Energies in a pre-release tourney, chances are you got nothing else that is good to play with anyway, and life sucks.

Lionheart

Retribution Paladin > You
No, pre-release tournaments are subject to all card restriction rules as per normal.

Kaito

Aspiring Trainer
DocRobot_K-176 said:
The only exception to this rule is during pre-release tournaments. You can have as many copies of any card as you like, but your deck can only have 40 cards.
Hiya,

Is this really true?

cya.

Lionheart

Retribution Paladin > You
Lionheart said:
No, pre-release tournaments are subject to all card restriction rules as per normal.

I shall quote myself...I run these things all the time.

DocRobot_K-176

Red Raging Rampage
Lionheart said:
Kaito said:
Hiya,

Is this really true?

cya.

As ridiculous as it sounds, it is true.

Pokémon - Organized Play - Rules & Resources

2005-2006_Tournament_Rules.pdf

1.2. Limited

"In a Limited event, players construct their decks using only cards provided by the Tournament Organizer at the event. Each player's deck must contain exactly 40 cards at all times. Decks may contain more than 4 copies of a single card, as defined by the card's English title. A Tournament Organizer must announce whether he or she is providing players with basic Energy cards before the date of the event and at the event before it begins. Matches are played for 4 Prize cards. "

It's probably overlooked because the situation where more than 4 copies of any card from 6 packs are present is pretty rare. Why that rule even exists is beyond me...