Writing Soul of the Tiger

Is the plot moving too fast or is it a little slow? Give me your feedback below if you can!

• Total voters

Aoki

Aspiring Trainer
Warriors: Soul of the Tiger
By [member]Dark Giratina[/member]​

Rating: PG-13 for Moderate Violence, Somewhat Graphic Death Scenes, Slight Swearing, Intense Mood and Tone
Genres: Fiction, Action, Thriller, Fantasy, Mystery, Cats
Bases: Warrior Cats
Timeline: The events of the story take place between the novels, The Forgotten Warrior and The Last Hope, albeit it's an alternate plotline.

Tidbits of the Story: Tigerstar, a former leader of ShadowClan was visited by a mysterious entity one day in the Dark Forest. But after being attacked and brought down by the entity, Tigerstar unknowingly found himself back in the world of the Clans after waking up. But as the incidents replay in his mind, curiosity and suspicion wakes up in him. Desperate for answers, he journeys through the world of the Clans once again, in the hopes that everything will be sorted out. But a nagging feeling starts to gnaw away in him, and he has suspicions that the entity's true identity may hold all the answers he ever hoped for relating to the incident. But some things are better left where they are.....

Credits to:

(Note that changes to the chapter order and the name of each book may occurr without the knowledge of the reader. The book is still in the planning stages when it comes to the chapter writing, but the main points of the plot are laid down already.)

(Also, note that each chapter may take from a range of one or two weeks to one or several months to complete. When you think that a chapter is taking way too long, you can gently remind me that I need to work on it, and I may just get around writing it. But if you are going to be obnoxious about it and pester me continuously, it's not going to make things any faster and I may just get annoyed.)

Contents
Book One: Return to the Clans
  • Chapter One: Engulfed in Darkness (2,004 words: 5 pages)
  • Chapter Two: Caught (Pending)
  • Chapter Three: Eagle Eyes (Progress: 442 Words | 2 Pages)
  • Chapter Four: Dread
  • Chapter Five: Seeking Answers
  • Chapter Six: Forbidden Territory
Book Two: Pieces of the Past
  • Chapter Seven: Realization
  • Chapter Eight: Whispers of the Dead
  • Chapter Nine: Forced
  • Chapter Ten: Hard Decisions

Book Three: Saber Blood

Book Four: Soul of the Tiger

Aoki

Aspiring Trainer
RE: Warriors: Soul of the Tiger [PG-13]

Author's Note: So this is the first chapter of the fanfiction that I just recently put together, Soul of the Tiger. Unlike my previous works, this is the one project that I'm intending to finish all the way and this time, I guarantee you all that this by far has been one of the best pieces that I've crafted as of late.

Hopefully that you, the reader, find the first chapter entertaining and thrilling. After reading, please feel free to leave constructive criticism at what I can improve on and I will be more than happy to take a look at that and fix it, but any forms of feedback are welcome.

Happy Reading!
~DG

Book One: Return to the Clans

Chapter One: Engulfed in Darkness

“Revenge is my lifeblood. To see it in action is what sustains me."
-Blood Claw

Gazing around, the tomcat took in the sight of the dark, menacing trees that enclosed around him, undisturbed by the dark aura that they emitted. In fact, he seemed to welcome it. Stepping forward, stiff black grass crunched and cracked underneath his pads as he made his way to the middle of the black clearing. Rearing up on his hind legs, the tomcat leapt on top of the smooth, round boulder, stabilizing his footing.

A sharp, strong breeze from the western side of the thick clearing whipped at the dark trees, ruffling and buffeting the leaves viciously in all directions, making the trees whisper violently. The large tomcat sat back on his haunches, seizing the opportunity to rest his sore legs after the long toil up the savage incline. The breeze ruffled his thick pelt softly as he took a deep breath, feeling a relaxing sensation well up in his chest, spreading down his back as he let out a deep sigh. Stretching his toned shoulders, he lowered himself to the flat area of the smooth boulder, tucking his paws comfortably underneath his bushy mane.

Funny how a cat can grow tired of this place. The tabby tom chuckled at the thought. Waking up in the same place every passing day, right here. He gazed at the trees that loomed eerily around him. A pang of sadness pricked his paws. Can never be more painful.

But this is the place where all the greatest of cats go! A small voice rebuked him. Power, Fame, Ambition. These are the things you owned in your temporary life! What more can you ask for? The last words sounded like a challenge. And yet, he felt there was something missing. Something important.

But what is it? He clawed the boulder in frustration. What is it that I was missing?

The small voice spoke fiercely again. You are not missing anything! Look around you, this is the place where the greatest cats go! The Dark Forest. Anything else are too weak to have ambitions. Even that stinking little kittypet doesn't deserve leadership over ThunderClan. It added coldly. You are going to be having your revenge soon. Just be patient.

Another voice managed to seep it's way inside his head. But how long can you keep living a life full of revenge and contempt for others? Ask yourself, isn't there a better way to live it? The second voice added strictly. The previous life gave you the chance to see it, but what did you end up doing? That's right, you ended up lying in the pool of your own blood. You wasted your life for selfish gain. The last words sliced through like an icy claw. He flinched at the thought.

It isn't selfish if you bask in power's favour. The first voice defended itself. There are two ranks that divide the rest of the cats: the strong and the weak. The ambitious and the inferior. You choose to become one or the other. But in this case, you chose to be amongst the strong. The ones with burning ambition. There is nothing to regret when you choose that path.

But why are you feeling an emptiness just moments ago? The second voice challenged. An emptiness that felt like a great void in your mind? Surely you are longing for something that you never felt in your previous life.

But what is it? The large tabby gritted his teeth in anger. Tell me! I'm tired of the riddles that are weaving like vines in my mind!

That was up to you to find out. The second voice chipped in. If only you still lived amongst the Clans.

The tomcat curled his lips back in a snarl. Why do you have to make me regret it? Why make things more difficult than they are now for me?

The second voice ignored his attacks. You were given great gifts. Rare talents by the cats of StarClan themselves. The gift to lead the Clans into a new era, a new age! Not for the worst but for the better. But what did you do? You used it for your own selfish gain.

Stop! Just stop! The tabby screwed his eyes shut, his claws digging deeper into the boulder. Pain flooded his chest as he shook his head violently.

The voice continued mercilessly. None of those things should've happened to you. None of it! You're destiny was never meant to be in this stinking forest! No, yours held more promise than that!

You will have your revenge soon. You promised it to yourself, remember? The first voice broke through. All those who broke your grasp on your ambitions will suffer your wrath. You have an army of followers at your disposal, and they have sworn their loyalty to you! You will feel your claws touch his fur once again and this time nothing will stand in your way. Time will come when you can shred him apart to your heart's desire! The voice inspired burning anger. That fox-hearted kittypet doesn't deserve to live. It's his turn to lie in the pool of his own blood!

He should be. The tabby tomcat thought darkly, feeling an intense heat stir and move around his whole body.

Or it could be you. Again. a different voice spoke.

Instinctively, the large cat immediately jerked into a sitting position, straining his ears to make out the origin of the sound. The fur along his spine bristled upright while he unsheathed his long, black claws, gazing around with eyes narrowed to see if the intruder revealed himself. He gaped his jaw and drew in large amounts of air, hoping to detect it's scent but to his surprise, he found none. But his instincts told him that he wasn't alone. Not anymore.

The tabby tomcat squared his solid shoulders, dropping into an attack crouch. "Who are you?" Narrowing his eyes, he scanned the clearing. Fresh blood and oxygen pumped through his muscles, readying them in case the time of attack came.

Keep your fur on. The mysterious voice echoed around the circle of swishing black trees. Just calm down.

The tomcat dug his razor-sharp claws deeper into the black soil. "Show yourself or you risk getting your poor hide shredded." He hissed menacingly.

But may I ask you, the voice continued. do you know where I really am?

"I'm bound to know soon." He answered back without fear. "One reason I can't scent you is because the wind is blowing in your direction. I can shred you without fear of being killed but I'm giving you a chance to show yourself."

Big words they are. the mysterious voice remarked playfully. Well, if you've got the guts to, then go ahead and find me. Let's see if you can.

"For the last time, show yourself and we might just avoid a useless fight."

Well, if you insist then. the voice ended, still a little playful.

"But just remember," the tomcat pulled his lips back in a snarl. "if you even think of attacking me, you've got the wrong cat to deal with."

I'll keep that in mind.

Sensing a major change in the atmosphere around him, the tomcat felt the force of a gaze scorching his back. Pivoting around, he caught the sight of a glowing cat, a cat whose pelt gleamed and sparkled beautifully like the stars of the night sky, standing a few fox-lengths away from the large boulder he rested on. Patterns of gray stripes, blotches, specks and swirls ran down the back of the slim figure, with distinctive neon fur tracing down the middle of the head to the tail, following the position of the spine. He found himself drawn to the ocean-blue, unblinking eyes of the entity that stood before him. He attempted to move forward. but a ghostly paw rooted him firmly to the spot. The entity stepped forward, it's shoulders rippled with immense authority and power as it closed the distance between the boulder and itself. The black ground underneath it's paws glowed at each stride, it's moon-lit pelt rippling calmly like the lake water --albeit the strong gust of wind that stormed through the clearing of trees. It halted in it's tracks and sat back, unmoved by the hostility in the tomcat's eyes.

The star-lit cat stared at the tabby above. Well, here I am. It spoke directly into his mind.

"What do you intend to do here?" The broad-shouldered tabby still maintained his position, eyeing the entity warily.

The starlight cat reared it's round head back. Gazing at the tabby, he spoke again. What else? Paying an old friend a visit. The way it added those words struck fear into the tabby cat.

The tabby tom leapt down into the black ground, landing a distance away from the strange cat. Turning around, he unsheathed his black claws. "Do I know you?" He mewed through gritted teeth, lashing his bushy tail threateningly.

As calm as ever, the glowing cat stared unblinking into the eyes of the tomcat. The tabby didn't like the feeling he is getting that he was vulnerable. The glowing cat cocked it's head sideways, a playful glint reflected in his neon eyes. To rephrase that, an old friend sent me to you.

"To what?" He asked warily, narrowing his amber eyes.

The star-lit cat lashed it's thick tail. To turn things around. A grin spread on it's face.

The tomcat shook his head. "Stop speaking to me in riddles!"

Oh? But the fun part was just starting. It answered back playfully.

"Get to the point already, glowing cat!" He added a venomous emphasis to the last two words.

Learn to have some fun. The glowing cat was completely unmoved by the tabby's hostile approaches. It stood again and circled the large tom. But as you insist, so it be done.

"What are you going to do?" Alarm pulsed beneath his fur. What is this strange cat going to pull off? The fur along his spine twitched and bristled with anxiety as he took large, threatening steps toward the star-lit cat. "One wrong move and it's your head that will be resting on my claws tonight."

The star-lit cat elevated it's gaze to his. A fierce fire burned behind those neon eyes as it squared it's powerful shoulders, it's light-blue paws unsheathing their dangerous claws. "Oh, but let's see if you can before I do." It's eyes narrowed into eerie slits while it opened it's jaws, revealing two upper, canine teeth longer than the rest of the set. Saber teeth? Impossible!

The tabby tom felt his heart hammering inside his ribcage. Saber cat descendants? Impossible! Unsheathing his long claws, he forced fresh oxygen and blood to his muscles. He raked the starlight cat with his gaze. "Back off, fox-heart!" He hissed loudly as he tensed his powerful legs, readying them for the jump.

The entity grinned maliciously at him. "I'm afraid it's too late for that." It broke out into a harsh, rattling laughter as it sprang on the tabby.

Move! Move! Those thoughts screamed him to make a jump, but the tabby tom found himself transfixed by the neon eyes of the gargantuan entity looming on him. Move! Do you want to die? His whole body was rooted helplessly on the spot, frozen like the river in leaf-bare.

That's it, just think of nothing but the green.

Jump out of the way! His thoughts screamed wildly.

Embrace darkness, Tigerstar. The voice echoed cruelly.

The tomcat felt his whole body being sliced in half, followed by something really warm steadily flowing out of it but before he could feel pain, shadows slowly crowded his vision before it finally rendered him sightless. He felt his spirit sink away into the depths of a black ocean, mindless of what just occurred. He found darkness' loving embrace once more.

<End of Chapter One>

I'm always open to constructive criticism so feel free to leave me your thoughts about the story, the plotline, the characters, what I can improve on, basically anything about the story. Leaving positive feedback is very much appreciated, however, please make sure your post at least has some information on what I can improve on. But, if you are just going to spam my thread, then all the more keep those things to yourself. The last thing I need is a spammy thread. Thanks.

<Back To Top>

Luckyfire

Aspiring Trainer

The description is really good, only with grammar mistakes like "you're" and "it's" when they should be "your" and "its". I look forward to the next chapter.

Aoki

Aspiring Trainer

Lucky Fire said:
The description is really good, only with grammar mistakes like "you're" and "it's" when they should be "your" and "its". I look forward to the next chapter.

I'll look over it. Thanks!

Aoki

Aspiring Trainer

Bump. Really need more advice. :)

nomekop55555

I'm back!

Awesome piece! :) The style of writing is just like Erin Hunter. I don't see anything wrong with the story, I would give it two thumbs up! :p

Aoki

Aspiring Trainer

Bump. Come on guys, give feedback!

Eldír

☆Aiming for the Stars☆

I like it but I think you should start a paragraph when something starts talking, I got lost sometimes...

Mootoo

This first chapter is great, its like the way Erin Hunter does it, with a little mystery.
In Chapter 2 It would be AWESOME if Jayfeather or Lionblaze was in it.

Aoki

Aspiring Trainer

Mootoo said:
This first chapter is great, its like the way Erin Hunter does it, with a little mystery.
In Chapter 2 It would be AWESOME if Jayfeather or Lionblaze was in it.

I'm not really going to reveal Chapter 2's events but I have to say, they both WILL be in it but just not the main character.

Arcanine954

Credit to Articwhite!

Amazing story so far. I think Erin Hunter would be proud. :D Can't wait for the next chapter.

Aoki

Aspiring Trainer

Arcanine954 said:
Amazing story so far. I think Erin Hunter would be proud. :D Can't wait for the next chapter.

Thank you for the props. :)

Vulpix-core

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey

This is ten times better than the lame two-paragraph chapter-ed terribly put together fanfics you see oh-so frequently around the Warriors forums. Kudos, lad, for putting this together and making it so great.

Aoki

Aspiring Trainer

AnimeUSA said:
This is ten times better than the lame two-paragraph chapter-ed terribly put together fanfics you see oh-so frequently around the Warriors forums. Kudos, lad, for putting this together and making it so great.

Thanks for the props. I'm glad you like it. Hopefully Chapter Two will be up sometime next week. If not, sometime around August 10

Zyflair

Yes, sir. Of course, sir.
Advanced Member
RE: Warriors: Soul of the Tiger [PG-13]- Chapter 1 Up!

I liked this quite a bit. In comparison to your previous works, you write out the story in far more detail, and it seems to introduce the pressing issue for the story without simply just giving it away. I'm quite interested in the cause of this incident and what's going to happen from here. Good job.

Happy Writing,

~Zyflair

Aoki

Aspiring Trainer
RE: Warriors: Soul of the Tiger [PG-13]- Chapter 1 Up!

Thanks for the input, Zyflair. I'm glad to see you like it.

Aoki

Aspiring Trainer
RE: Warriors: Soul of the Tiger [PG-13] (Chapter 1 Up On: July 15, 2012)

The preview for Chapter Two. Hopefully Chapter Two will be up sometime before September 1st.

A numb feeling started to settle on his back. Picking up a slight rustle behind him, his ears twitched alarmingly. What do we have here? Shifting visions, he wrinkled his itching muzzle and opened his jaw to draw in the scent of the surroundings. You better show yourself, mouse-brain.. he thought as the musky scent of the prey and the forest mingled together behind his throat. Hackles bristling, he jerked his forepaws to unsheathe their deadly claws, piercing through the ground and tensing his round shoulders as he lowered his head slightly. He could hear the shrub quiver slightly as his target advanced closer. Satisfaction flooded his paws as he crouched down, readying for an attack spring. You’re not going anywhere. A thrilling sensation rippled through his body. Sensing the leaves quiver again, he squared his shoulders, feeling ready as fresh oxygen pumped through his veins. He waited as patient as a tiger and moments flew by, but the awaited moment never lighted down.

Narrowing his eyes suspiciously, he felt his muscles instinctively lock themselves in their position. Hmm, this is strange. Where is it? Lashing his tail, he felt the sharp bite of the gust gnaw on his fur as it changed it’s course to the south, buffeting his pelt savagely. This time, he felt an unnerving atmosphere light down around him. Shaking it off, he carefully darted his eyes around the area, deducing the place where his potential target has chosen to ambush him.

“Just find the target and deal with it. Find it and deal with it.” he murmured repetitively, still on the lookout for his target. He shifted his paws strategically into the position of an escape sprint. When deception comes, we fly. his defense mechanism reminded him.

“When deception comes, we fly.” he repeated to himself, clenching his teeth harder together as he continued shifting his position. Why am I so terrified? The dreadful feeling crept on his belly again.

Suddenly, he felt the unnerving atmosphere that settled down on him lift tremendously. Still wary of the sudden change, he drew his lips back in a snarling stance. I know it, something is out there! But why doesn’t it show itself? “Come out and face me with some courage wherever you are hiding, fox-heart!” he broke out in a thunderous growl that echoed through the rustling trees. Annoyance and anger pricked his paws as he lashed his tail, scanning the area gingerly. “Come and show me what you are made off!”

“So many look around and under that they don’t pay attention what’s above their heads.” a snarling mew exploded out of the leaves resting a tree-length above his head. Raising his head in alarm, he caught the sight of the violently rustling leaves of the tree. He could barely make out the blinding movement of gray and white flashing against the background of the flailing branches. Where is it? his thoughts rabidly flew off in several directions at once. Searing pain exploded out from his right ear as he crashed down on the prickly ground. “Ouch!” he yowled icily, his paws desperately creeping up on the deep wound his attacker had dealt out. Warm liquid met with his paws as he hauled himself up, curling his lips in a dangerous snarl, ignorant of the warm liquid trickling down his cheek.

“What did you do that for?” he yowled, making it more of an outraged statement rather than a question. Flooding with rage, he flexed his black claws out and spun around.

“What are you doing in my territory, you mange-pelted rogue!” the voice hissed again. Having found the source of the sound, he whipped around furiously and lashed out with his left frontpaw blindly.

“I’m not there, you mouse-brain!” the snarling mew broke into a harsh yowl. A powerful force lunged down on his flank again, sending him sprawling and toppling roughly over the ground.