Smeargle's Canvas - General Discussion Thread | Current Topic: Most Difficult Creative Project

RE: Artist's Studio - General Discussion Thread

Oddly enough I often find that music inspires me most despite not really being a big music buff. But I take concepts and personalities or situations and poses from music, not characters. I find them in video games or comics. Funnily enough I drew my own character Lucas from the Bravest Warriors cast even though I have never read or seen anything around it.

Seeing artwork I really love motivates me the most I think. But that only gets me started. I very rarely go on to actually finish something unless it was finished in that initial spark or it's something for education.

What do you guys think about the overall designs of Groudon and Kyogre (or Mega Groudon and Mega Kyogre =P)?

Is there anything you guys would change about the designs? Colors?

omega-ruby.jpg

alpha-sapphire.jpg

PokeBeach is currently looking for artists who can help create banners for the site. If you're interested, please email me at [email protected]

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-pokebeach-looking-for-artists-6-9

Hey guys! I want to y'all for some advice. I'm an artist as well like you guys lol, but I have a problem. I always have difficulty finishing my work. I'm real inspired at first, but then I seem to lose interest. Idk. Do y'all have this problem? If so, how do you do it?

You find what inspired you in the first place and when it starts to dip you look for things like it and hoard as much of it as you can.

A lot of music inspires me and I think I would have the drive to go through with my ideas if I could actually make good artwork out of them. So it's basically my ability that's holding me back from finishing things, resorting to sketches and calling it a 'style' is the stupidest thing I can do. Surround yourself with good art, artists and other things that get your imagination working would be my advice. It's not healthy to not finish artwork. I know from experience.

I think the only real word to describe Transistor's artwork is stunning.

tumblr_n9mquwuX6p1snsyxqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n9mquwuX6p1snsyxqo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n9mquwuX6p1snsyxqo4_1280.jpg

I feel like if I tried to create any kind of fanart I'd be disrespecting it. It's almost too good.

Hey, haven't posted in this subforum before! I've got two questions for everyone here:
- Why do you create your art in the art styles that you do?
- How popular/common is 3D art in this subforum?

When I say 3D art, I mean stuff like this:
tip_of_the_sky_by_jedi201-d7rbi1s.png
mudkip_and_lotad_in_the_sandbox_2_by_jedi201-d7rfydl.png
bigger_fish_by_jedi201-d7rbiih.png
and stuff like PLANETA's and 5ban Graphics' card artwork.

How Important is Art to You?

Do you tend to make art purely as a hobby or do you plan on reaching further with your talents? Aspirations are important for any kind of creator and many will put an exceedingly large amount of time in their projects.​

I would love to be able to live as a freelance artist although settling at a studio as an illustrator or designer would be as equally pleasant. That will take a lot of time but I'm willing to wait until the time is right. I've taken a keen interest in art since I was a younger teenager and spent a lot of time putting my college research projects together about people such as Syd Mead and H.R. Giger. I would say that art in and of itself is up and down. Design and specific genres I hold dear but other areas don't appeal to me all that much.

RE: Artist's Studio - General Discussion Thread | Current Topic - How Important is Art to You?

I intend to pursue an artistic career, whether it's in animation or videogame development (or both!).
In the past year, I've grown my skills a lot just by doing hobby stuff here on PokeBeach. 'Mastering' Photoshop to create Pokemon cards in Fan Fakes has been really helpful in other things, and I only started doing 3D animation stuff late last year. Now I'm doing stuff like this:
[img=960x540]http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/263/8/3/mamoswine_1080p_wallpaper_by_jedi201-d7ztmzl.png[/img]
As I told my friends on Facebook: 3D model + stock photos + Photoshop = amazing.
I couldn't even imagine myself making stuff like that during the beginning of last year. Now it's something I really want to pursue, and making quality 3D renders and animations and artistic videogames would make me very happy during my career.

I do have troubles with certain areas of art: I can't do traditional (non-computer-based) art to save my life. Well, I can, but it's my weakest skill and least-enjoyable for me. I got a "pass" for all my traditional art animation classes last year, while I get distinctions and high distinctions for everything else. It's sorta made me really focus and hone my digital art skills more - strengthening my strengths.

I like to think that I've become really skilled at what I do over the past ~2 years, and turning it into a lifelong career would both use my skills professionally and help my skills grow even more. So yes, art is very important to me! ^_^

RE: Artist's Studio - General Discussion Thread | Current Topic: How Important is Art to You?

Purely hobby. I come from an artistic family, but I know that I, personally, don't have the talent necessary to make art for a living, and that's totally fine! I would much rather make art for myself and do what I like for it. My husband, who is am AMAZING ARTIST, actually specifically chose to steer as far away from art as possible in his career because he wants to keep it as something special to him rather than something that might someday be a chore, or doing art that he doesn't like or chooses not to do.

RE: Artist's Studio - General Discussion Thread | Current Topic: How Important is Art to You?

I will work on design and art for pretty much the rest of my life, so I'm still trying to figure out what I can do, and learning new things; I've done 3d "art" since I was ten years old, and even though I still have much to learn, that's covered.
But only lately, with school and my projects to make fakemon, werewolf games and image cards, I've started to actually improve in hand drawing, photoshop, graphic design and art, as well as a more free, less rigid design style and process.

One of my aspirations is to put the smallest amount of time and effort possible in it, both out of preference and out of knowing how lazy and airheaded I am, but, doing the best result I can possibly get; I aspire to that elegance, that simplicity, that perfection.

Great responses from the previous question!

Let's continue with another discussion question:

What Style of Art Best Defines You?
Have you been working with the style ever since you first started getting into art? How has that style evolved over the years? Have you tried experimenting with others?​

RE: Artist's Studio - General Discussion Thread | Current Topic: Style of Art?

I don't really do art, I just throw random shapes at my computer and hope it looks like whatever Pokémon I was going for. This has worked out rather well for me as it seems no-one has really caught on. This has been my modus operandi ever since I started creating anything which wasn't just combining existing images and/or sprites. The first avatar I made for myself, and the second avatar I made in this way, became sort of embelatic for the style I'd be using for the next few years:
qetoFSJ.png

The style is characterised by very thin outlines, distorted features and an overabundance of regular shapes and lines in lieu of more organic curves. I've gotten better at makes this style a bit fancier over the years, though. After I came back, this became my new avatar:
F4nYlQY.png

I had been messing around with a different style prior to my glorious return, though. A far more cartoony style using very thick outlines. I guess the origins of that style came about when I was messing around with this simplistic drawing program I had downloaded. Among other things, this gave us this beautiful Parasect:
FKqs4gA.png

When I decided to join Create-a-Card, I figured I'd need some art. I could either choose the old art or use this as the perfect opportunity to debut my new art style, which I personally preferred both visually and creatively. I chose the second option, and handed in this funky Forretress.

I've since been honing this style, trying to do some fancier stuff with it. My personal favourite thing I've made using it is the art for my Parasect card in CaC. The bigger I made the images, the thinner I seem to make the lines, but I think the style in general is still far more akin to the recent one than the old one. I've also made art using roughly the same style, but with more detailed eyes and shading. My current avatar, based on the old Red and Blue Mew sprite, is an example of this.
OED4eu9.png

Since I started making a fake TCG set, I've also tried experimenting with some different styles, since having a set using only my very basic style and my old style might end up being a bit boring. Things like Metapod, Bellsprout, Magnemite and Maintenance show some of the different things I've been trying.

This is actually kind of old news now but Adobe released its entire CS2 Creative Suite for free. They are dated programs but can still produce some good quality stuff. Especially in digital art or for faking.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs2-product-downloads.html

Will also post this in the Fan Fakes Recs thread.

Favorite Artist?
Who is your favorite artist you have come across? Your favorite card artist for the TCG? Have you tried to incorporate their style within your art in some way?​

My favorite card illustrator is Sui. Her watercolor art is very appealing for almost any Pokemon, but I can't really explain why.

I might attempt to replicate her art, but I have not the faintest idea how to properly replicate watercolor in an image editor. Besides, I would rather try to develop an art-style a bit more independently then that (yes, I realize most of my drawings look like they're trying to be Sugimori art. That's not really on purpose...).

http://suiseistarcomet.ame-zaiku.com/pika.jpg
http://suiseistarcomet.ame-zaiku.com/rigu.jpg
http://suiseistarcomet.ame-zaiku.com/ef01.jpg

Edit: IMG tags removed since the source apparently doesn't allow hotlinking ~Spoon

My overall favourite artist is Junko Mizuno; she's done a variety of original art and also some graphic novels. I love her art so much, I got a tattoo based on one of her drawings! :D I've even had the chance to meet her in person once which was an amazing experience.

Naoki Takeuchi, however, has probably had the most influence on my drawing style. Even before I knew what anime or manga were, I was drawing characters of my favourite cartoon show, Sailor Moon, and as I got older and started reading the comics, I started to mimic her style a lot. Although my art style has definitely changed (and improved, I think :p) over the years, I can still see a lot of her in my work.

Kanako Eo and Ken Sugimori are probably my favourite Pokémon artists overall; the former for everything and the latter primarily for his trainer card images more than his Pokémon. I don't really think I've tried to purposefully incorporate their styles, though, at least not recently; I used to draw a lot of Sugimori-style trainers. :p

People that know me have experienced my extreme gushing over Yoji Shinkawa and he is pretty much the sole reason why I love messy and unclean lines. I also love Kentaro Miura, the creator of 'Berserk'. There is just so much movement and detail in every panel. It's been described as being very Lovecraft looking and that's one of the best ways to describe it.

BERSERK.%28Kentaro.Miura%29.full.686728.jpg

big_thumb_f3bdaba59a28093422df6cf09f92bf10.jpg

Other great people I would list are Megan Howland, Ian McQue and Yoshitaka Amano. I don't really know of any card illustrators despite loving a lot of specific card art. Hopefully that will change whenever I get the TCG Illustration book.

Difficult Elements in Art?

As your progression as an artist, what do you feel you have the most difficulty trying to grasp in art? Artists who are already working with these elements, what are your suggestions to make it easier for the artist?​

Not sure where I could request a drawing...but could anyone draw a Regirock in this pose? The background should be transparent as I would be using this for a fake card (and crediting you of course :D)

377-frame1.png

Back