Smeargle's Canvas - General Discussion Thread | Current Topic: Most Difficult Creative Project

Delta

Selling colourful Pokemon to Celadon Game Corner
Artist's Studio Discussion Thread

Welcome to the Art Showcase & Requests discussion thread. Here you can discuss a range of things that have anything to do with art. Discuss how you got into art, personal goals, your art schedule, your favorite artist(s) and anything you can think of to do with art.

Please note that this is not the place to ask questions. If you have a question please use the Art Questions Thread.

This forum is moderated by:
@Ice Arceus - Department Head
@steffenka - Moderator
@Jabberwock - Moderator​

RE: Artist's Studio Discussion Thread

In an attempt to revive this thread. I'll post about an artist that appealed to me recently: sido. This guy's art is, by definition, sick. He mixes Pokemon with a style like Gurren Lagann and the results are better than you can imagine.

tumblr_m0mu57cC4g1r2y9s0o1_1280.png

Dragonite.full.983222.jpg

tumblr_m2tbx5xmSF1qlpahho1_1280.png

They're so sharp and perfectly coloured. I want to draw just like this some day.

I've actually seen his art floating around on tumblr and I really like the style. Probably something I would want to test out eventually. But right now I'm going through this little steampunk Poke' stage haha.

Delta, that guy's art is sick. Do you have a gallery link or tumblr or something?

I'm a big fan of Bummerdude and his art. Check out his great 'Mon comics.
http://www.rarecandytreatment.com/

Oh, I really love Sido's Blaziken. I'm a sucker for good Blaziken art, so maybe that's why I like it so much. Speaking of artists we like, has anyone seen Hat Boy's Tim Burton Pokemon? I grew up on Tim Burton movies so seeing Hat Boy's art really gives me a feeling of nostalgia. It's a really cool art style that never gets old to look at. ^_^

I've seen them hahaa, you showed them to me! They are absolutely in the hospital they are so sick.

Wow, sido's art is cool!!!
I started painting when I was 8 years old and have been painting full-time for the last 5.
I draw almost every day and I am always trying to find ways to improve my drawing skills.

Some of the art that inspired me and my art style are...
Vincent van Gogh's Starry Night, I have always loved his paintings and that one is my favorite.

And folk art, folk art and Native American art have always been a part of my life, my mom is a great artist and introduced me to painting and other art.

I also love this guy's art!
cool

I have a soft spot for concept artists. It's my dream job. Paid to draw concept art...almost sounds too good to be true. Although from what I hear, the life of an artist is very demanding.

It's good to see people starting to really get into art at a young age. I only really started caring what I drew maybe 3 years ago. I think it was then that I began paying attention to anatomy and started to improve. My art thread is what made me get into digital art.

That dude has an awesome sense of depth and proportion. Anyhow, the earliest drawing I can find are some flowers in my dads notebook, which apparently I did when I was two. It's funny, because I almost always took drawing very seriously, and never really had any second thoughts on choosing it as my career.

I was inspired a lot by anime artists, such as Mine Yoshizaki and this lovely young lady.

But after a while I grew tired of the anime style, so I tried doing something a little different. And here we are, I suppose. I really like messing with colors and then using them in my works.

Woah! That DA artist has your exact style!
I can see where you learned how to draw noses ;]

Yah, it's funny because I first followed her for her earlier anime style, but then we both switche to line less around the same time, it was really weird in a fun way

RE: Art Showcase & Requests Discussion Thread

So guys. Who is/are your favourite artist(s)? I think some people know by now that mine is Yoji Shinkawa. He is the concept artist for Kojima Studios and can paint things like this on the fly:

001_Yoji_Shinkawa_Painting_Snake-596x334.jpg

yoji-shinkawa-snake.jpg

I'm not sure whether this thread is for discussing anything, but what do most people here draw, and when/where/how?
*conversation starter*
I draw whatever pops into my head (usually impractically cosmetically based weapons/strange battle scenarios), with a pencil and outlined with a black pen, whenever I get bored in class. I can try to draw some things if anyone would request anything (though not too complicated/specific), and I'll try to scan/take photos of stuff I've drawn if I have the time.
*waits for discussion awkwardly*

What do I draw when where and how?

I guess I mainly practice anatomy since that's what I do. It's coming along slowly but steadily. I do draw every day. I have to. One or two missed days of drawing and it really shows. It can be any time of day too but I like drawing the most very early in the morning. I don't get a chance to do that really since I have college and whatnot.
Anywhere indoors is the best place to draw for me unless I'm with a friend who is drawing with me but I like being alone if I'm drawing with a tablet. I suppose I only draw with Pencil and Tablet but I want to learn watercolour because the results are amazing.

Feel free to make a thread Lemonnade and accept requests via PM and profile comments.

RE: Art Showcase & Requests - General Discussion Thread

I've recently been a lot more interested in drawing environments and although it may be helped by my studies in classes it's pretty much inspired me to do more at home. It got me thinking about my specialties in drawing (if any).

What are your specialties in drawing and do you draw anything in particular very well? Animals, Portraits, Landscapes and so on.

RE: Art Showcase & Requests - General Discussion Thread

I can usually sketch and doodle with ease, although lineless is sometimes hard for me since I almost always sketch before doing the actual drawing. As for specific stuff I'm good at drawing, well, I guess I can blame thank the Internet for my art style. Thanks a bunch, Internet, now everyone at my school thinks I'm working on a manga. :p

Mostly I like drawing dragons, weird furry creatures with long ears and big tails (DARN YOU FURRIES), but I'm also decent at other animals and humans.

RE: Artist's Studio - General Discussion Thread

Rules have been updated!

Artist's Studio Rules said:
1) Plagiarising is against the forum rules and will result in a severe warning/possible ban. Please refrain from copying artwork and claiming it as your own.
2) Simple-worded posts (“Thank you,” “Good job,” “Awesome,” “I really like your work,” etc.) are all considered spam in this forum. Please refrain from making these types of posts. Please provide proper feedback to the artist.
3) Requests can only be made in threads that include one of the following prefixes: [Shop] or [Gallery + Shop]. As an owner, it is highly recommended to include a request form in the first post of your thread so members can have quick access to it.
4) One art thread in the Artist’s Studio forum per member. You are free to create an additional art thread to showcase your fan fakes in the Fan Fakes forum.
5) Threads that include no artworks when posted will be immediately unapproved. Please have artworks included within your thread before posting.

One of the major changes include being able to make requests in the actual shop threads! No need to PM/leave a profile comment for shop owners.

Artist's Studio - General Discussion Thread

Well then, I shall arrange to make the necessary revisions to my art requesting process. Final note and reminder to any interested commissioners, you can still request art from me. Visit my gallery and post your requests, as opposed to sending me a PM.

RE: Artist's Studio - General Discussion Thread

Discussion question:

As an artist, who/what inspires/motivates you? Does it continuously inspire/motivate you or do you have to turn to something else to stay insprired/motivated?

Back