Help Smeargle?

Gamerdynasty4ever

Aspiring Trainer
I'm starting to do VGC and I was wondering if Smeargle is a good pokemon to use on a team. I know it was really popular because of the dark void in 2016 but I was wondering if Smeargle could actually work in VGC this year.

Smeargle isn't going to work well this year because Dark Void fails if it isn't Darkrai that is using it. The only thing Smeargle is good for this year is breeding egg moves onto Pokemon. Spore just isn't enough to justify using it.

I agree with King Arceus, I'm afraid. If I wanted to use utility, I'd go for something like Amoonguss, which has lots of really great utility moves like Spore and Rage Powder, with the bulk to properly abuse it. Dark Void was Smeargle's niche, and it was taken away from it. :(

Ok so it seems like smeargle is practically useless this year in 2017. But before I make some changes on my team, can any of you please rate my smeargle?

Wish (Smeargle) (M) @ Lax Incense
Ability: Technician
Level: 50
EVs: 24 HP / 116 Def / 116 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Transform
- Baneful Bunker
- Spore

Ok so it seems like smeargle is practically useless this year in 2017. But before I make some changes on my team, can any of you please rate my smeargle?

EVs: 24 HP / 116 Def / 116 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Transform
- Baneful Bunker
- Spore
That's actually a uh, really bad Smeargle. I'll talk you through why, though!

First, the EV spread is very ineffective. Putting EVs into defences but not HP is pointless, as HP boosts bulk both physical and special anyway. Splitting EVs evenly between defence and special defence in general just means that Smeargle has poor bulk both physically and specially; investing all of it into one stat at least puts it on an even playing field with all of the attackers with 252 EVs into their offensive stat. The EV spread would be better off as 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe. It's 248 HP rather than 252 because and odd number is preferred for a HP stat; it effectively gives the Pokémon one more HP thanks to how damage from hazards is figured out.

Running Baneful Bunker over Protect is actually a very bad idea. Baneful Bunker is an atrocious move, especially on this set, because its infliction of poison is only standard poison and not toxic poison. Toxic poison is inflicted by toxic and moves like Sludge Bomb, and it's where damage escalates over time. Standard poison only depleted a Pokémon's health by 12% each turn and caps out at that. On this set it's even worse, as Smeargle already knows Spore, and Pokémon can't be inflicted with both sleep and poison at the same time. Protect would be a lot better. :)

Transform is also a poor choice of move because Smeargle has low HP. Hazards, for example, would be a much more useful usage of the slot. Transform isn't a bad move, it's just super inferior to a lot of other stuff.

Lax Incense isn't a very good item because it's swingy and RNG-based. A 0.9 decrease in your opponent's accuracy is A) calculated kinda strangely by the game and B) not significant enough to warrant its use over better items like Leftovers.

The set shows promise, though! Fake Out is excellent in doubles given its great utility, and Spore is also probably one of the main reasons Smeargle will see any use in this metagame. Remember that we have loads of great guides in the VG Player Help & Advice section (just search for the tag :)), and we also have a tutoring program in the same subforum. They'd be great resources to get you started if you're interested!

Hazards, for example, would be a much more useful usage of the slot. Transform isn't a bad move, it's just super inferior to a lot of other stuff.

Would taunt be a good hazard move?

Also here is my team...

Bullseye (Tapu Bulu) @ Shell Bell
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 148 Spe
Impish Nature
- Horn Leech
- Nature's Madness
- Rock Slide
- Brick Break

#SeaGod (Pyukumuku) (M) @ Quick Claw
Ability: Innards Out
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Purify
- Recover
- Gastro Acid
- Protect

SeaLantern (Lanturn) (F) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 48 Def / 252 SpA / 84 SpD / 124 Spe
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Stockpile

#BambooShoot (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Heavy Slam

Reinhardt (Muk-Alola) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 244 Atk / 180 Def / 84 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak
- Minimize
- Poison Jab

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Transform
- Protect
- Spore

Should I just get rid of Smeargle and replace it with something else? Or should I keep Smeargle and give it a grassy seed for it's item?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would taunt be a good hazard move?
We also have a terminology guide in VG Player Help & Advice here! :p Hazards are moves like Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes or Sticky Web. Taunt is a viable move on Smeargle as well, but Sticky Web or Stealth Rock generally have a great deal of utility. As VGC only uses 4 Pokémon, though, feel free to try Taunt out instead.

Getting rid of Smeargle is certainly a good and viable option, but you shouldn't do it straight away if you don't want to. Experimentation is the first step to becoming the best trainer you can be, however. :D

Hey everyone! So I got rid of smeargle and I added Porygon2 to my team!\

Here is an updated teamlist:

Bullseye (Tapu Bulu) @ Shell Bell
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 148 Spe
Impish Nature
- Horn Leech
- Nature's Madness
- Rock Slide
- Brick Break

#SeaGod (Pyukumuku) (M) @ Quick Claw
Ability: Innards Out
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Careful Nature
- Purify
- Recover
- Gastro Acid
- Protect

SeaLantern (Lanturn) (F) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 48 Def / 252 SpA / 84 SpD / 124 Spe
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Stockpile

#BambooShoot (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Heavy Slam

Reinhardt (Muk-Alola) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 244 Atk / 180 Def / 84 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak
- Minimize
- Poison Jab

Wasn't his fault (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tri Attack
- Toxic
- Discharge
- Recover

Please let me know on what you guys think of my new team! :)

- Tri Attack
- Toxic
- Discharge
- Recover

I was thinking of adding signal beam to destroy oranguru because I found it common on showdown and when paired with primarina, they make an unstoppable team. I wanted to get rid of discharge but I found it useful for my lanturn. I don't know what move to get rid of or if I should even use signal beam.

Back