SM9 'Tag Volt,' Japan's December Set!

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
Three for 120 Damage huh? Not bad for a Stage 2 Dragon Pokémon. I see that the regular Dragonite has gone back to needing Water Energy instead of Grass Energy like it's Pre-Evolved forms Dratini and Dragonair respectively.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Honestly, with Alolan Ninetales working in so many decks, you kind of don’t have an excuse for why this Dragonite couldn’t be played on the second or third turn. (Outside of drawing bad.) On top of that, Lele will not be in rotation forever.

I’m not saying this will replace Lele when the set comes out or it should be in every deck, but it definitely has a phenomenal ability. And to see so many people automatically say “Meh” to this (and the Blastoise and Charizard from the other day), I don’t know if this is just unwillingness to try or if this is still a major issue with the game itself (I’d assume due to big Basics). Probably both.

Oddish22

Aspiring Trainer
A Dragonite card is not bad and the ability is good, but we have had really many Dragonite's recently.

And, why do the attacks of Stage 1/2 Pokémon with an ability always have to be so simple? 120 for 3 is not bad, but I wish it had some kind of effect or even a second attack.

DaLoc

Aspiring Trainer
This makes dragonite gx very playable. Dragons wish was not good this format with Sycamore and letter both rotating.

I’m not even worried about being guzma stalled since I get automatic guzma return back wasting the opponents resources more than your own.

Timmony_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
It's interesting that since Dragonite is #65 and Eevee & Snorlax-GX is #66 (unless there's some difference in how the Tag Teams are ordered in the setlist), this set won't contain many Normal and/or Flying-type lines that are often considered classic to Kanto (ie Pidgeot, Fearow, Tauros, Kangaskhan, Ditto)

Mr. Mirek

Aspiring Trainer
If Dragonair is a water type, aqua patch will help this Dragonite out. I can see this as an option for a deck seeking to only have single prize Pokemon in play. What electric-type can pair well with this? Single prize only please.

Timmony_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
It's actually not part of Tag Bolt (you can see that it's 037/038) - I believe it's part of the Eevee-GX collections in Japan, but may very well be integrated into our Team Up set in February

shifty14326

Aspiring Trainer
You guys do realize that this is very compatible with Ultra Necrozma-GX/Malamar and Rayquaza-GX. I believe it will be a HUGE component of any dragon-type variant at World's.

Zipplip

Aspiring Trainer
Rapidash is whatever.

But Ninetails, oh boy. In standard, this will be an awesome tech in Blacephalon/Naganadel, while in Expanded, this is just free blacksmith energy.

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
Even with Aqua Patch, you need to do something else while you're powering this thing up on the bench – 300 HP might be the new record, but this meta has a healthy damage output such that giving up 3 prizes for it by leaving it in active is NG.

edit: it's obviously real, I doubt anyone is at the level of faking Arita art

Heviin

Aspiring Trainer
That is a beautiful Ninetales! So glad that it's actually good as it makes energy retrievals a guaranteed pokemon catcher in any fire deck!!