SM11 Miracle Twins!

On one hand, I'm glad they're giving the Tapu anti-UB cards. Seriously it's weird (from a thematic perspective) that Sceptile and Tentacruel got them first. On the other hand, still no Fairy Koko. I feel like the only way Koko and Bulu will get Fairy cards is in a Tag Team with all 4 of them.

Tapu Koko is upside-down. Nifty.
The attack (2nd one at least) is good against both Blacephalon GX and just baby Blacephalon, and if Buzzmosa becomes a problem we can fix it. 2 Energy hurts though and probably will keep it from becoming viable.
Eelektross: I love these evolution cheats.
Unless the attack sucks, then I don’t care.

On one hand, I'm glad they're giving the Tapu anti-UB cards. Seriously it's weird (from a thematic perspective) that Sceptile and Tentacruel got them first. On the other hand, still no Fairy Koko. I feel like the only way Koko and Bulu will get Fairy cards is in a Tag Team with all 4 of them.
I don’t think I want to see that card (Tapu Tag Teams) unless it’s an emergency or it’s one of those “__, __, and __ embark on a legendary adventure!” Cards that come in promo boxes.

Hmm looking at elektross, i kinda like how they bypass one of the weaknesses of Evolution decks. The main problem, i feel with Evolution Pokemon is the need to dedicate deck space to either get the Evolution Pokemon or their energy costs onto the field and well, his ability really just asks u to find a way to put down 4 L energy on the board. And they don't have to be on the same Pokemon either. While the attack is not too great, what decks would benefit from having a Stage 2 Electric Pokemon on the bench? Nidoqueen decks? or something to help proc Super Boost Energy?

This is a bit of an aside, but I've often felt that the main way to make evolution decks viable would be to not count stage 1/stage 2 cards in the 60 card deck limit (provided that those stage 1/stage 2 cards also have a basic evolution in deck -- so trumbeak wouldn't work). That won't happen, but I'd love to run a nidoqueen + meganium toolbox type deck, but it's simply not possible given how much deck space it would require.

Koko is almost playable as a tech in zapdos shrine decks that run Counter Energy and/or Thunder Mountain. Cakepop GX loves to get a lead, walking right into the counter energy. Can also OHKO a Naganadel if needed.

Oh, and a year ago this time, spread decks were decimated by Buzzwole GX (punch+Diancie+fighting energy) who would OHKO baby koko. This would also OHKO Buzzwole GX, which is a tiny bit of payback.

So question for Koko. Do you discard the energy for his second attack ONLY if he attacks an UB, or anytime you use the attack?

Elektross is GOOD.
It takes the energy from a pikarom after a tag bolt.
With Koko rotating, elektross is just going to fill that niche.

tapu koko and elektross are those cards that seem good on paper. But once you test them, you realize how bad they are.

So question for Koko. Do you discard the energy for his second attack ONLY if he attacks an UB, or anytime you use the attack?
Would depend on the English wording. If it's exactly how the translation is, then only if he attacks the UB.

Latios GX: Power Bind is not an issue since most Malamar deck will have at least four Pokémon in play and you can also use Power Plant to shut it down. Tag Purge is a nice attack in a pure Psychic Malmar deck to wall for one turn. However the weakness to psychic hurts since Malamar decks will have easy answers to this wall in the form of Giratina and Necrozma SM11. Both are able to knock Latios GX out in one hit. Cpould see it as a one-off tech in Psychic Malamar lists but not more.

Dragonite: Nice addition to Lance prism Star deck since it helps to fuel Dragonite GX. Not sure how viable this deck would be with Gardevoir and Sylveon GX running around. However, i cannot see this card as an acceleration engine in either water or electirc decks since both have better options at the moment.

Blue's Strategy: Nice addition to our draw supporter arsenal. However, the fact that you draw at the end of your turn may hurts in some decks. In other decks such as Psyduck and Slowpoke Gx this might be benefitial since Blue's Strategy refills the hand after you discarded multiple supporters for Tossing Splash. Another potnetial combo would be to play Blue's Strategy and follow up with Marhadow to reduce both players hand sizes to four.

Cherrish Ball: Improved Nest Ball for Pokémon GX only. Quite good but less versatile than either Nest Ball or Ultra Ball.

Tapu Koko: Nice one-off addition to Electric deck. Pheromosa and Buzzwole Gx may start to see play again once water decks are introducted into the meta to balance the current dominance of fire decks.

Elektross: I like the Electric Swamp ability since it allows you to play Elektross as a Basic Pokém if you have four Lightning Energy in play. The attack itself is fine but not spectactular. I could still see this as a one-off in some Electric decks without its evolution line.

Last edited:
How many Tapu Koko prints have we gotten already don't you think this is a little extreme.

I am intrigued with the Mewtwo Mew GX, but find the other two terribly underwhelming considering they're giving up three prize cards. I get that not all cards can be meta defining, but I don't think there needs to be such discrepancies. It felt like the format was balanced till the Tag Team came out... First it was the Pikarom show, now it's Reshizard.

I'd love to see a decent water GX, or a water tag team with low energy costs to balance out Reshiram Charizard.

Psyduck and Slowpoke TTGX

• Latios GX - Ability, annoying to use. You can Power Plant it but it shuts off your Jirachi. The atk is fine, blocking best decks in the format. The GX is... you need to use it early. 4 Geodudes
  • Dragonite - This is primarily designed for Dragonite-GX. And also, Dratini is the most number of apperances in the SM-era. 5+2 upcoming. 4 Geodudes
  • Blue's Strategy - good draw power but in some circumstances. You are still vulnerable to Reset Stamp because it is done when your turn ends. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Cherish Ball - With the fact the post-rotation gives us limited options for searching Pokémon, every deck that rns Dedenne and huge number of GXs, it is an instant staple. 5 Geodudes
+ 2 dratini? will be 2 in the set? :T

Most likely yes. For the last several main SM expansions in Japan, the base form of a three-stage line has two cards. Dratini itself is an example in Tag Bolt/Team Up.

Is it me or are malamar decks looking like tier one next format what with having mysterious treasure and the oh-so-forgettable friend ball?

Latios GX: Power Bind is not an issue since most Malamar deck will have at least four Pokémon in play and you can also use Power Plant to shut it down. Tag Purge is a nice attack in a pure Psychic Malmar deck to wall for one turn. However the weakness to psychic hurts since Malamar decks will have easy answers to this wall in the form of Giratina and Necrozma SM11. Both are able to knock Latios GX out in one hit. Cpould see it as a one-off tech in Psychic Malamar lists but not more.

Dragonite: Nice addition to Lance prism Star deck since it helps to fuel Dragonite GX. Not sure how viable this deck would be with Gardevoir and Sylveon GX running around. However, i cannot see this card as an acceleration engine in either water or electirc decks since both have better options at the moment.

Blue's Strategy: Nice addition to our draw supporter arsenal. However, the fact that you draw at the end of your turn may hurts in some decks. In other decks such as Psyduck and Slowpoke Gx this might be benefitial since Blue's Strategy refills the hand after you discarded multiple supporters for Tossing Splash. Another potnetial combo would be to play Blue's Strategy and follow up with Marhadow to reduce both players hand sizes to four.

Cherrish Ball: Improved Nest Ball for Pokémon GX only. Quite good but less versatile than either Nest Ball or Ultra Ball.

Tapu Koko: Nice one-off addition to Electric deck. Pheromosa and Buzzwole Gx may start to see play again once water decks are introducted into the meta to balance the current dominance of fire decks.

Elektross: I like the Electric Swamp ability since it allows you to play Elektross as a Basic Pokém if you have four Lightning Energy in play. The attack itself is fine but not spectactular. I could still see this as a one-off in some Electric decks without its evolution line.

agree on all this, other point for dragonite to not be that good is that it accelarates from hand :(

This is a bit of an aside, but I've often felt that the main way to make evolution decks viable would be to not count stage 1/stage 2 cards in the 60 card deck limit (provided that those stage 1/stage 2 cards also have a basic evolution in deck -- so trumbeak wouldn't work). That won't happen, but I'd love to run a nidoqueen + meganium toolbox type deck, but it's simply not possible given how much deck space it would require.
I think only if it's a UB. 100 base + an If/Then statement. If the "IF" condition isn't satisfied, your done. It isn't crystal clear though. I can see how it could be taken to mean no matter what too, but my initial thought feels more logical.

Back