Help SM1 close to be out of Standard soon?

Toni Kensa

Playing and Collecting
Hi Pokebeach community,

Last week I heard from some random players that SM1 is being decommissioned from Standard play next year. When does this happen?

Thanks!

Otaku

The wise fool?
Hi Pokebeach community,

Last week I heard from some random players that SM1 is being decommissioned from Standard play next year. When does this happen?

Thanks!

The Standard Format is a "rotating" format. New stuff is added the third Friday of the month in which it released. Once per year, usually September 1st, the oldest releases are cut (or "rotate from") Standard. This usually is the oldest three to five sets, plus promos or minisets that released during the time frame covered by those sets. So yes, Sun & Moon is most likely going to rotate, but not for nearly nine months. ;)

Toni Kensa

Playing and Collecting
The Standard Format is a "rotating" format. New stuff is added the third Friday of the month in which it released. Once per year, usually September 1st, the oldest releases are cut (or "rotate from") Standard. This usually is the oldest three to five sets, plus promos or minisets that released during the time frame covered by those sets. So yes, Sun & Moon is most likely going to rotate, but not for nearly nine months. ;)

Thanks for explaining Otaku! Does pokemon official site, months before rotation, explains which sets are going to be decommissioned? Just to make sure I won’t jump into some “huge discounts “ then one month later get busted with the expansion going out.

Otaku

The wise fool?
Thanks for explaining Otaku! Does pokemon official site, months before rotation, explains which sets are going to be decommissioned? Just to make sure I won’t jump into some “huge discounts “ then one month later get busted with the expansion going out.

We usually receive ample warning.

Though it is still 2018, the 2019 Season started back on July 9, 2018 and will continue until sometime in July 2019. The 2019 Standard Format went into effect August 28, 2018. The reason the years seem "off" is that both are named for the calendar year when the World Championship for that Season takes place and the powers-that-be want who is going to Worlds via an invitation settled well before the event. Invitations are earned via Championship points, and Championship points are earned through placing high enough in Championship Series events (see here). The 2019 Standard Format went into effect on August 2018, 2018 but was officially announced on May 15, 2018, almost exactly 3.5 months ahead.

So... as stated, we're in the 2019 Season and the 2019 Standard Format. The 2020 Season will technically start well before the 2019 World Championship and the adoption of the 2020 Standard Format. The 2020 Standard Format will probably go into effect either late in August or early in September of 2019, with the announcement sometime in May of 2019. The 2019 World Championship will most likely occur in August of 2019.

Toni Kensa

Playing and Collecting
We usually receive ample warning.

Though it is still 2018, the 2019 Season started back on July 9, 2018 and will continue until sometime in July 2019. The 2019 Standard Format went into effect August 28, 2018. The reason the years seem "off" is that both are named for the calendar year when the World Championship for that Season takes place and the powers-that-be want who is going to Worlds via an invitation settled well before the event. Invitations are earned via Championship points, and Championship points are earned through placing high enough in Championship Series events (see here). The 2019 Standard Format went into effect on August 2018, 2018 but was officially announced on May 15, 2018, almost exactly 3.5 months ahead.

So... as stated, we're in the 2019 Season and the 2019 Standard Format. The 2020 Season will technically start well before the 2019 World Championship and the adoption of the 2020 Standard Format. The 2020 Standard Format will probably go into effect either late in August or early in September of 2019, with the announcement sometime in May of 2019. The 2019 World Championship will most likely occur in August of 2019.

Now it's pretty clear to me, both Standard Format announce and why the season year seemed to be off. Thank you very much Otaku, my question was perfectly answered!