Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Max Pro

• KMC

• Total voters

Milky

4 Mewtwo 4 Revive 48 Energy 4 DCE
This seemed like the most appropriate place to post this.

If you're in the market for sleeves, there are very few brands you should consider. Ultra Pro, KMC, Players Choice and Dragon Shields.

I absolutely hate any Japanese made sleeves. I'm looking at you, KMC. They are made of such a soft plastic that gets very difficult to shuffle after a while because they collect dirt like there's no tomorrow. I've gotten penalties for looking at all too many cards because some sticker together when I drew them.

That eliminates KMC. What about the Player's Choice though? They're supposed to be American-made, are the white sleeves any easier to shuffle after having been out through use?

Or the Dragon Shields. I've heard these split a little, I'm not too fussed about that. I just want t grab half of my deck and insert it into the other with relative ease, something my KMC Matte Black sleeves aren't doing for me.

And Ultra Pro. My friend absolutely loves these, I dislike the textured backing. They are very easy to shuffle though, which is great.

I might try going to my local card store during league next week and ask them if I could try shuffling some deck that they have already used the sleeves on. It may seem redundant, I don't care. I really want experience with shuffling them, but I also want opinions from the users on this forum too.

Which brand of sleeves.

IMHO, Dragon Shield is a good way to go. Cheap, come in packs of 100, and have lots of color options. They shuffle well, and I've been able to use them at multiple tournaments in a row without problems or anyone asking me to replace them.

This question comes up again and again and again and the answer is always going to be Players Choice. I have literally tried multiple packs of every kind of sleeve and have only been truly happy with Players Choice.

I think the main reason people like certain kinds of sleeves more than others is the way you shuffle.

I like Japanese sleeves because they are easy to shuffle in. I haven't had any problems with them splitting or collecting dirt.

I also like Dragon Shield because I like the color options, you get 100, they don't split often for me, I can shuffle easily, they are cheap (cheaper than Japanese), and they last an entire season before. I feel I have to replace them.

Dragon Shield for me.

venasour x said:
I like Japanese sleeves because they are easy to shuffle in. I haven't had any problems with them splitting or collecting dirt.

I also like Dragon Shield because I like the color options, you get 100, they don't split often for me, I can shuffle easily, they are cheap (cheaper than Japanese), and they last an entire season before. I feel I have to replace them.

Dragon Shield for me.

Really? The backs are so slippery for me, they stick together when they get moist or damp from sweat etc.

I guess I'll try the dragon shields. People always claim a particular color is better than another, like white. Does this truth hold up for Dragon Shields?

The Players Choice are essentially KMC but American made, are they also made of that soft plastic that makes them difficult to shuffle after a few games? What color and pack size do you recommend, I've hear rumors about a recent dip in quality for the 80ct packs.

Milky said:
Really? The backs are so slippery for me, they stick together when they get moist or damp from sweat etc.

I guess I'll try the dragon shields. People always claim a particular color is better than another, like white. Does this truth hold up for Dragon Shields?

The Players Choice are essentially KMC but American made, are they also made of that soft plastic that makes them difficult to shuffle after a few games? What color and pack size do you recommend, I've hear rumors about a recent dip in quality for the 80ct packs.

Give them a while. For new sleeves it takes a little bit to stop being slippery.

I've had a lot of Dragon Shields, and I'm not sure but it seems like White shuffles best.

venasour x said:
Give them a while. For new sleeves it takes a little bit to stop being slippery.

That was the wrong choice of words actually. They're not slippery, and I've had them for ages, they're just so soft and smooth, but are easily dirtied/dampened.

I would love slippery sleeves that were slippery the entire time I had them. I can imagine he cards sliding in...

venasour x said:
Dude, that sounded really creepy, even over the internet.

I can just imagine sliding the long end of the cards into the wide opening, the sleeves becoming damp as I grip the cards harder and harder...

slev said:
IMHO, Dragon Shield is a good way to go. Cheap, come in packs of 100, and have lots of color options. They shuffle well, and I've been able to use them at multiple tournaments in a row without problems or anyone asking me to replace them.

This. I used dragon shields forever in seniors. I'm pretty sure I used the same sleeves through my entire last year in seniors and first year in masters with only a few splits. They shuffle very well, come with plenty of extras (lol at prerelease packs of exactly 60 when you split one.) and are extremely durable.

Milky said:
I can just imagine sliding the cards into the wide opening...

I want to say something witty but I can't think of it right now.

Anyway, Dragon Shields. They really don't split, and you can actually wash them if you want to and reuse them if they get dirty.

Even though they cost more, I love the Ultra Pro - Pro Matte sleeves. They've been shuffling fantastically and I probably won't go to any others. Dragon Shields are my second to go though.

Actually they're way cheaper at my local card store. I know I'm getti ripped off there with the Shields but I need them for worlds. Buying Dragon Shields Saturday, I'll post here with what I think of them after a few games.

$8 UPro
$10 P Choice
$20 D Shields

I'm playing with japanese pokemon center sleeves, they look really nice and are pretty good, however they are expensive, around 7$ for a pack of 32.
I also have dragon shields for fun decks,they are really strong but i hate shuffeling with them
Ultra Pro's teared after 1 game never buying again.
I've used KMC's once when i needed to resleeve and a friend of mine allowed me to borrow them. i really liked shuffeling with them.

PHP:
L[quote='Shaymin Lv.X']
I'm playing with japanese pokemon center sleeves, they look really nice and are pretty good, however they are expensive, around 7$ for a pack of 32.
I also have dragon shields for fun decks,they are really strong but i hate shuffeling with them 
Ultra Pro's teared after 1 game never buying again.
I've used KMC's once when i needed to resleeve and a friend of mine allowed me to borrow them. i really liked shuffeling with them.
[/quote]

No graphical art compares to the relative shinyness of the Yugioh Dragon sleeves. Currently using them for my Chaos Dragons deck.

What kind of shuffle do you use? I used the overhand and sleeve shuffles and the sleeve shuffle was near impossible to do as quickly as my friend's Ultra Pro's.

I'm going to use the Hydreigon/Garchomp Japanese Sleeves for Worlds. In the beggining they suck and are very hard to shuffle (and you get a really really bad luck), but after a few games they start getting better for shuffling until they've become really awesome. That's what happened with my other Japanese Sleeves (energy ones), really crappy at the beggining but now they shuffle very well and they are very resistant. For me, they also have the best artworks. I use 2 kinds of shuffling, btw.

Edit: Can you use Dragon Shield's sleeves at tournaments?

I was using clear Ultra Pro sleeves but found that they got dirty quickly and started to stick together a little bit. I switched to Ultra Pro sleeves with textured backs. I must say that they shuffle extremely well. They do slide a bit as they are quite smooth but my friend said that they would slide less over time/use (his did not slide near as much but still shuffled well).

I thought I'd pick up a pack of Dragon Shields early, these are my first impressions. I got them in Pink, by the way.

Slick Backing

- They're a dream to shuffle with the first five minutes. After a few games, the backs get really dirty which accumulates either from dirt on the tablecloth or playmat or through excess oil on your hands. They look worn on the back and become really difficult to shuffle, similarly to the problem I was having with my Japanese KMC Matte Black sleeves which I purchased from Collector's Cache.

Uneven Cut

- Having opened the box, about ten or so where well above or below the other sleeves and it was very easy to see with all the sleeves stacked neatly in the box. It wasn't too much of a problem since I had 40 left over so I just put them in with the rest of the sleeves.

Inaccurate Count

- After sleeping my 60 card Mewtwo/Eelektrik deck, I decided to check if the rumors were true and that Dragonshield boxes either had more or less sleeves than the promised 100 count. There were only 38 sleeves left in the box instead of the 40 I should have received, so I got a 98 Count box of Dragon Shields.

Bendy Edges and Splitting

- After a few games of lightly mashing the cards together with my sleeve shuffle and with my thumb using my over hand shuffle, the edges of the sleeves would crease badly and I even had a few split after only a few games. I also experienced this problem with KMC sleeves.

Money wasted on sleeves: Price of a Mewtwo EX

I was still playing against my friend in the store when I was experiencing these problems. I went up to the counter and got me a pack of Pink Ultra Pro textured backed sleeves. I sleeved up my Celebi/Mewtwo deck with them (worlds deck gets better sleeves first, I figured nothing would or could be worse than those Dragon Shields) and was instantly satisfied with my purchase. They shuffle like a dream, even after many matches. They're fairly oil/dirt resistant and don't bend or split as much as my KMC/Dragon Shields. They're all cut evenly and of course, you have to admire the shiny Ultra Pro seal in the bottom right, it looks great.

Bottom line: Always buy Ultra Pro.

I'm not really sure why people don't like Dragon Shield, I've never had any problems with them. I like them a lot.

Back