'Sky Legends' Officially Revealed!

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Rowlet & Alolan Exeggutor TTGX - Played for the 1st atk. Insta evolves Stage 2. Tsareena... I forgot that Venusaur, Decidueye, and Lurantis rotated one UNM comes out. 4-5 Geodudes
  • Dwebble/Crustle - Not enough to KO Magikwail. 3/3 and its flippy and Victini rotates.
  • Fomantis/Lurantis - UNM Victni for the Attack 2? Ehh. 2/3-4
  • Bounsweet/Steenee/Tsareena - Good for Rowlutor, I dunno to others. 3/3/3-4
  • Numel/Camerupt - Tackle is nuts! KOs anything with Normalium and KO Celesaur with Atk 2. 3-4/4
  • Victini - ZapMolCuno is I only see a perfect use. 4 Geodudes
  • Fletchling/Fletchinder/Talonflame - Ehh. Not enough to snipe a frikin Ralts. 2-3/3/3
  • Snorunt/Froslass - ReshiZard counter. 3/4
  • Snover/Abomasnow - Abomasnow not even KO a Blacephalon (Think of the rotation, bois!) 3/3-4
  • Cryogonal - Item Lock but low dmg. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Keldeo-GX - Stall... And Stall! Because its main atk not enough to KO a ReshiZard post-rotation. 4 Geodudes
  • Tapu Fini - Blacephalon counter! 4 Geodudes
  • Magnemite/Magneton/Magnezone - You can use an ULP or a FLI Magnezone to fire and smash. 120+120 = KO Pikarom for CC (Thunder Mountain counts) 3/3/4
  • Xurkitree - 4 Geodudes easy to spam it
  • Ekans/Arbok - 130 for PCC is bit expensive. TCE could work but you just burning TCE as turns goes by. In addition from distrupting opponent's hand which is nice. We have Malamar! 3/4
  • Koffing/Weezing - distruption and KOs... A Mew & Mewtwo if that card was so good with Tackle (Normalium Z). 3/4
  • Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf - too much bench space for x4 weakness. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Poipole/Naganadel-GX - Naganadel is a good draw for Beast Box. 3-4/4-5
  • Druddigon - ehh?! 2-3 Geodudes
  • Articuno & Zapdos & Moltres TTGX - Too expensive atks but Victini will help. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Lickitung/Lickilicky - TCE + CHIP-CHIP ICE AXE (Not Crunching Ice Pick, it's Chip-Chip Ice Axe) = Funky disturbance?! 3/3
  • Hoothoot/Noctowl - Noctowl, ehh?! Hoothoot KO Blaceph and immunity. (Flyinium Z) 4/3
  • Audino - not as good as Slurpuff. 3 Geodudes
  • Type:Null/Silvally - revenge KO. 3-4/3-4
  • Normalium Z - Tackle became relevant. 4 Geodudes
  • Flynium Z - Air Slash became relevant. 4 Geodudes
  • U-Turn Board - Not as good as Escape Board. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Poke Maniac - cool if it searches 3 Magikwail. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Jessie & James - good in some decks that requires discarding Special Energy. 4-5 Geodudes
  • Blizzard Town - No Field Blower, Yes Annoyance. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Recycle Energy - good with Zapdos/Jirachi for spamming problems. 4 Geodudes

gema5

Aspiring Trainer
Lol'd so hard when saw the fini! venusaur will be the strongest deck if charizard reshiram is garbage!

arbok and weezing, plus jessie and james card, those effects can direct to a very strong mill strategy, plus being able to respond with Z tackle! looks like team rocket's cards are coming with this theme ideas and i love it (but giovanni's mill looks more agressive to me, although i'm surely testing them both)

and a new baby buzz effect card, will that xurkitree ever be any good?

Last edited:

Pokenerd

Aspiring Trainer
There are 2 cards that catch my eye that haven't already been revealed. Tapu Fini and Lickilicki. Lickylicky looks clunky but we TCE and Ice axe so it could be a good rogue deck. I kind of dislike tapu Fini being a Blacephalon counter. I think we will want Blacephalon to be good against Tag Teams. Gardy Sylveon and Reshzard look like nearly unstoppable forces. Blacephalon will be good against them but if they and other decks play fini than that basically would close the meta to tag teams and the one untouched infinite damage output. Ultra mally.

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Yep. For the best generation ever, they really don't like representing it. Must be all the negativity it got back in the day.

It's really nice to know that a lot of people have turned around and grew to like it a lot, but I wish Pokemon would get to representing some more of the gen 5 pokemon who haven't got cards in upwards of 5 or 6 years. Darmanitan, my favorite pokemon, FINALLY getting one in Dragon Majesty (and another in...whatever that set it came in, I lost track with recent sets)was such a good feeling. I hope others get that treatment sooner or later.
I mean, I’m just on the bandwagon because the Elite Four theme and that one N’s Bridge theme are so good and that the Team Plasma Grunt Battle theme is swung.

In all honesty, this set gave us baby Fini and baby Xurkitree and that’s about it. Everything else is a gimmick or a standalone card. Like Crimson Invasion. The art is good, but the set is nothing to enjoy.
Seriously though, that’s some crazy good art right there. But those cards are just sooooo filler.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
This is it? There are only three bird line in the Sky Legends set? What a waste. Why is it so hard to have a set be themed. You name a set, I think after the legendary birds and I've always wanted them on one card but where is the Staraptor, Talonflame or Pidgeot-GX? would be nice to have just one set that are just bird Pokemon or other reasonable Pokemon that fly.

CARD DESIGNER 1: I think we messed up. There aren't enough bird Pokemon in this set
CARD DESIGNER 2: What do you mean? We got Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres on the same card.
CARD DESIGNER 1: I'm sure a set around bird Pokemon and other flying types should have more than seven birds in it.
CARD DESIGNER 2: Fine, just put Moltres in the background art of Dwebble and put a misprinted Charizard in the set and its fine.
CARD DESIGNER 1: Can we at least put a Unfezant-GX in the set?
*Card Designer 1 has been thrown out of a window*

VuDu-JuJu

Intergalactic Trainer/Hitchhiker
Rowletor can accelerate that Tsareena on the second turn for free...which can then fuel Rowletor or whatever else you have in the active. I smell the herbal scent of a decent grass deck...

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
Looking at Magnezone again, I find it could be surprisingly versatile, as Electric and Metal has been given so many options to power it up, and its attack can recycle much of that support.

Like, it can utilize MelCario's GX move and Frying Pan for defence, Electropower for offence, and Volkner, Tapu Koko Prism, and Thunder Mountain to get and accelerate Energy. It reminds reminds me of Golurk from Ancient Origins, only more powerful and trickier to get out. Very fun for rogue deck ideas, at the least!

NaganadelIsBeast

Pun Intended
No. Just no.

You can’t name a set “Sky Legend” and have 7 out of 43 flying types. That’s not right. It’s just not. That’s like a farmer saying he has a “legendary” amount of crops, and only having like crate full of crops. You can’t do it.

On another note, RowLutor GX can be a pretty good counter to Ultra Beasts. It can get CES Sceptile out on T1, which can help prevent damage from Ultra Beasts, although, I don’t see this realistically happening.

They really scored with that Naganadel GX though. It has great potential with Malamar after the rotation, and could become a 1-off in Blacephalon/Naganadel. But with Tapu Fini coming out at the same time, players could be scared of Fini, and that could be the could be the end of that archetype before Naganadel GX sees it. :(

Last edited:

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
The TCG's fuzzy branding is nothing new. They've pretty much always named a set's "theme" around whatever main Pokemon they drew out of a hat that month. 10 out of Full Metal Wall's 54 cards were Metal Pokemon, only 8 of Thunderclap Spark's were Lightning Pokemon, etc. The fact that Sky Legend even had a theme at all still puts it ahead of "GG End" non-existent theme or how a "Champion Road" entails Gen 2-3 reprints.

NaganadelIsBeast

Pun Intended
Yeah, I know. I find it quite sad the direction Pokémon isn’t going in. And outside of Japan isn’t doing any better. In Lost Thunder, 16 out of 214 (excluding SRs) were Lightning types. And 36 were grass types. In a set called Lost Thunder. But honestly, themes sets shouldn’t be the biggest of the players concern. I think the most important problem is artificial set bloating, and with my budget, I might have to stop playing because of all the giant sets with so many fillers. Does anyone remember when opening packs was fun?

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Yeah, I know. I find it quite sad the direction Pokémon isn’t going in. And outside of Japan isn’t doing any better. In Lost Thunder, 16 out of 214 (excluding SRs) were Lightning types. And 36 were grass types. In a set called Lost Thunder. But honestly, themes sets shouldn’t be the biggest of the players concern. I think the most important problem is artificial set bloating, and with my budget, I might have to stop playing because of all the giant sets with so many fillers. Does anyone remember when opening packs was fun?
I think as a collector, themes in a set can actually be very important to the collectible appeal of a set if done right, granted that they're being attempted. Certain sets can be more broad, like, say, Base or Expedition, and of course those sets have their own appeal. Artwork, value, there's MANY factors into wanting to complete a set.

That being said, in this case, talking about themes: If a set has a certain motif to it, that can be an appeal on its own. Southern Islands is a great example of this I think where the entire miniset has collectible appeal as one big scene. Furious Fists has the appeal of the fighting motif through almost every card, and a lot of artwork linking together a large scenario of a big fighting tournament. Even small instances where cards tell a story have that thematic appeal to it, many cards in Legendary Treasures has that appeal in a small scale throughout many of the cards. Take Plasma too, for instance. Team Plasma fans will be drawn to that set's appeal because it has that appeal of lots and lots of love for Team Plasma. It was so well done back in those days, and it's a shame whoever is behind the TCG nowadays doesn't understand that.

Artificial set bloating is another HUGE issue, I have to agree-and anyone who knows me around here may have seen my opinions on that, so I'm not going to go into that hour long tangent again. I've made it so I'm just not going to deal with Gold Items and Hypers. If you want to work with your budget, I strongly suggest you go for the singles market. It's been incredibly friendly to my budget and it's in fact exponentially boosted my collection. I'm not sure if you're a collector or a player, but I suggest either way to look towards that. Packs with sets like these aren't going to get you much anywhere.

That being said, I miss packs a lot. Even BW with it's terrible pull rates was still a fun era. I think opening packs can be a little fun nowadays, but the peak of it in this era was definitely Shining Legends. That set was actually worth opening for a while, with amazing products and a set that was easy enough and fun to complete. I don't open boxes anymore. I haven't opened one since my garbage Sun and Moon base box. Because it just isn't the same as XY and BW was, but again, that's another thing I've gone into before. TL;DR, it's just not as fun or rewarding to open Sun and Moon boxes as it is compared to XY or prior.

NaganadelIsBeast

Pun Intended
Don’t get me wrong, I think themes can be important. To people that aren’t me.

The XY era was fun. Furious Fists was fun because there was a lot of Pokémon that had Fighting in their typing, but weren’t a fighting card, as well as Pokémon with Beat and Smack attacks to give that Fighting type effect. I believe now that Pokémon is more focused on making money than pleasing its customers, which is really sad because I know many people who quit Pokémon because of their displeasure with Pokémon’s current direction.

The singles market has basically been my heaven for card needs. I’m a competitive player, pretty serious about it with a low budget, so singles are great. I really just don’t open packs unless I win them from tournaments.

Shining Legends was really great, good cards, small set, and fun products. And Dragon Majesty had me hoping again. But then sets just got bigger and bigger and here we are now. I’m really disappointed with Pokémon’s current direction and I wish whoever did BW and XY would come back.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
There's really not been many main expansions that had consistent theming, especially not in English where they combine 2-3 different sources that don't mesh together. Even a tiny set like Jungle had random things like Clefable, Mr. Mime, Electrode, etc tossed in despite not fitting the so-called "jungle" theme at all. lol

Only the smallest subsets like Southern Islands, Double Crisis and the Radiant Collections got it right.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
If customers got a say in what Pokemon get new cards, we'd probably see Pikachu, Charizard, Eeveelutions, Mewtwo, Lucario, Gardevoir, etc even more than we already do. ;)

NaganadelIsBeast

Pun Intended
True. Maybe we could get restrictions on which ones to choose? But that could annoy certain players. Some certain Gardevoir players...*cough cough* ME!