'Sky Legends' Officially Revealed!

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Xurkitree looks awesome. This card could be an automatic one-off in Electric decks. Froslass could be nice if it can utilize Hustle Belt with the first attack.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
The fact that Xurkitree is a guaranteed 120 at the mid-game, and with boosts gets the relevant 180 number all right just makes it much better. Lightning-type Buzzwole, here I go! The fact that it also hits at 3 prizes is relevant after your Pikazekrom gets KO'd. Couldn't have asked for a better replacement for Tapu Koko GX in Standard.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Froslass - the fact that Hustle Belt exist, it does 200 and hits a lot of relevant targets. 3-4 Geodudes You just gave up a prize for that, which is sometimes good but sometimes bad.
  • Xurkitree - there is a cheesy way to put down to 3 prizes. Naganadel with TCE, just TCE. Because after doing Naganadel's GX atk, the nrg stuck forever. Better have TCE. Anyways, Electropower exists, it hits huge numbers. 4 Geodudes

boyishgoodlooks

Aspiring Trainer
The fact that Xurkitree is a guaranteed 120 at the mid-game, and with boosts gets the relevant 180 number all right just makes it much better. Lightning-type Buzzwole, here I go! The fact that it also hits at 3 prizes is relevant after your Pikazekrom gets KO'd. Couldn't have asked for a better replacement for Tapu Koko GX in Standard.

It is a super nice addition to PikaRom decks, but it is no replacement for Koko Gx. Koko just does so much for PikaRom decks it take huge knock outs, it move 3 energies off a PikaRom after a tag bolt and Koko is just cooler than a weird electric tree. I will play Xuritree, but my heart is with Koko. I am glad Koko is going out in style.

DaLoc

Aspiring Trainer
why electric, metal or fighting would of been better for naga gx

baby xurkitree looks pretty good

Last edited:

Nyora

A Cat
Xurkitree is so good in Pikarom decks oh my lord. Zapdos may be pretty decent too, but Xurkitree has access to a relatively easy 120 damage, and Signal Beam isn’t terrible either.

Froslass can hit an easy 200, but leaving it at 10 HP makes me very sad. (7x20) + 60 (Hustle Belt)

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
It is a super nice addition to PikaRom decks, but it is no replacement for Koko Gx. Koko just does so much for PikaRom decks it take huge knock outs, it move 3 energies off a PikaRom after a tag bolt and Koko is just cooler than a weird electric tree. I will play Xuritree, but my heart is with Koko. I am glad Koko is going out in style.

It replaces it by virtue of Koko GX rotating out lol, I know there's nothing that can counter a PikaZekrom after a Full Blitz with so little setup. I'm still brainstorming whatever I will use to counter the mirror match and turbo variants, but I'm sure something will come up soon enough, we're still missing reveals from here and the next set.

Last edited:

jamashawalker

Ikouze!
I love Froslass for many reasons but most importantly... It's that fast direct counter to Reshizard we've all been waiting for.
Here's a question about the translation. When it says "place up to 7 damage counters" does that mean you HAVE to place exactly 7 or can you place 1-7 or any at all?

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
I love Froslass for many reasons but most importantly... It's that fast direct counter to Reshizard we've all been waiting for.
Here's a question about the translation. When it says "place up to 7 damage counters" does that mean you HAVE to place exactly 7 or can you place 1-7 or any at all?

You can choose to place zero to seven damage counters on Froslass and the attack deals 20 times the number of damage counters placed on Froslass in this way to the opponent's active Pokémon. The question whether Froslass would benefit from Hustle Belt has not been answered thus far. Guess we will need to wait for the Q&A section of Pokémon-card.com to be updated with the cards of the new set. Note that Froslass is not the only potential counter to Reshiram and Charizard GX. You could also run either Slowking SM7 or Dewgong from the next set to be released outside of Japan. The benefit of these two cards over Froslass is that both only require colorless energy to attack and are herefore more splashable than Froslass.

Dwing25

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
With this Xurkitree, we are almost at full prize coverage and type coverage. Beast tool at 6, baby buzz at 4 for them, xurkitree at 3 for them, nihilego at 2 for them, nag at 3 for us, kartana (forget what prize count there). But an ultra beast tool box could totally be a thing.

jamashawalker

Ikouze!
I
You can choose to place zero to seven damage counters on Froslass and the attack deals 20 times the number of damage counters placed on Froslass in this way to the opponent's active Pokémon. The question whether Froslass would benefit from Hustle Belt has not been answered thus far. Guess we will need to wait for the Q&A section of Pokémon-card.com to be updated with the cards of the new set. Note that Froslass is not the only potential counter to Reshiram and Charizard GX. You could also run either Slowking SM7 or Dewgong from the next set to be released outside of Japan. The benefit of these two cards over Froslass is that both only require colorless energy to attack and are herefore more splashable than Froslass.

Glad to hear! Because that means it can be played with Rainbow energy and add up to 6 damage counters on it without KOing itself. Also it means if your opponent guzma's or whiffs an attack you aren't forced to use icy wind.

Personally I think Froslass is way more splashable than the other two. Depending on the deck of course. Rainbow energy means almost every deck can use it. It has a guaranteed OHKO on Reshizard whether it has energy on it or not. Slowking requires a TCE vs rainbow energy. That's very deck reliant though. And lastly the best part is Froslass isn't stuck just being a reshizard counter. With choice band you are doing 170 which is really nice damage. Against Blacephelon GXGX you' getting a OHKO with or without energy attached to it.
But it does come down to the deck you are running so we can agree on that

Last edited:

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
With this Xurkitree, we are almost at full prize coverage and type coverage. Beast tool at 6, baby buzz at 4 for them, xurkitree at 3 for them, nihilego at 2 for them, nag at 3 for us, kartana (forget what prize count there). But an ultra beast tool box could totally be a thing.

Depends on how you look at it. There are still several holes since the non-GX Ultra Beasts also differ on whether the take your prize card count, or the opponent's prize card count into account. Here is a quick list:

Buzzwole (Forbidden Light): Extra damage when your opponent has taken exactly two prize cards.
Xurkatree (Forbidden Light): Instant paralyzis when you have exactly three prize cards remaining.
Xurkatree (Sky Legend): Extra damage when your opponent has taken exactly three prize cards.
Kartana (Celestial Storm): Extra damage if your opponent has exactly six prize cards remaining.
Kartana (Full Metal Wall): Extra damage if you have exactly four prize cards remaining.
Celesteela (Celestial Storm): Attack cost reduction if you and your opponent in total have exactly six prize cards remaining.
Dawn Wings Necrozma (SM Promo): Extra damage for each damage counter on Dawn Wings Necrozma if you have exactly six prize cards remaining.
Dusk Mane Necrozma (SM Promo): Extra damage if your opponent has exactly one prize card remaining.
Naganadel (Lost Thunder): Extra damage if you have exactly three prize cards remaining.
Nihilego (Lost Thunder): Copy one of your opponent's attacks oin the battlefield if your opponent has exactly two prize cards remaining.
Pheromosa (Forbidden Light): Extra damage if you have exactly one prize card remaining.
Stakataka (Full Metal Wall): Extra HP if your opponent has three or less prize cards remaining.
Ultra Necrozma (SM Promo): Extra damage if you and your opponent in total have six or less prize cards remaining.
Guzzlord (Forbidden Light): Discards ten cards from your deck if you have 2,4, or 6 prize cards remaining.
Blacephalon (Unbroken Bounds): Extra damage if the flipped over prize card is an [R] energy card.

Xurkatree from Sky Legend, Buuzwole, Kartana from Full Metal Wall, and Nihilego seem to work best in either Ultra Beast decks, or as tech cards in Electric decks. Personally I believe that you get a great and sufficient coverage with Xurkatree from Sky Legend and Nihilego. Note that both can be used with two to three tech Unit Energy from the same type.

Zero Umbreon

Pyromaniacal sorcerer
Question: if you use Bitter Sigh with less than 70 health remaining, can you place the full amount of damage counters on Froslass?

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Hustle belt would _not_ work with Froslass. Look at the order of operations on attack on page 20 of the rulebook. You decide how many counters to put on in step C, but you don't put the counters on until _after_ the damage counters from the attack are placed - so it doesn't work. This is the same thing as the reason Necrozma GX (or Ultra) can hit Shuckle GX - because while you decide to discard all the energy in step C you don't discard it until after you hit it. (Also similar is Blacephalon with Beast energy.)

As for putting seven damage counters on it when it is not at full health - my understanding is that works the same way, in that you can follow the instructions and put 7 on it, do the damage, and then you KO your own Pokémon at the end of the attack phase (both KOs actually happen simultaneously, so if you both were down to 0 after the KOs you'd have a tie situation). (That's why it has to specify 7 maximum, because otherwise it could do infinite damage - or it could go the route of the old Banette that had an errata that said it could not KO itself with the damage counters, but that would then mean you can use Body Building Dumbbells on it to allow it to do more damage.)

See this note from the Compendium on Forceful Tackle:]

http://compendium.pokegym.net/compendium-bw.html#546 said:
Q. When using Mamoswine's "Forceful Tackle" attack, can I put enough damage counters on Mamoswine to knock it out? In other words, can I put more damage counters on it than it has HP remaining?
A. Yes, you can put up to 9 damage counters on it even if it doesn't have that much HP remaining. The extra damage will be done, and at the end of the attack Mamoswine will be knocked out. (Crimson Invasion FAQ; Nov 2, 2017 TPCi Rules Team)

Last edited: