Ruling Skuntank from SM5

mistermagic91

Aspiring Trainer
Dear all,

i have a question to the upcoming card Skuntank from the set ultra prism.
I tried my best but could not find a picture of the english translation, so i guess i will write the attack for my question below:
(D)(C) - Sticky Smokescreen - 50
If the Defending Pokemon tries to attack during your opponent's next turn, your opponent flips 2 coins. If either of them is tails, that attack does nothing.

So here comes my question: If you attack does that just mean, that the pokemon being active as the attack happens has to do this or is it an overall ruling for every Pokemon, which wants to attack in my opponent's next turn?

I hope someone can help me with this. :)

Thank you all very much in advance :)

Trevman783

Aspiring Trainer
Defending Pokemon is the one that is active when you attack. If they play a float stone, guzma, or other switching cards to get the original defending Pokémon out of the active spot and switch it with a new one, that effect does not apply to the new defending Pokémon.

Example: if you use this attack on your opponents active Tapu-Lele then during their turn they attach a float stone and retreat into a Goliaopod-GX, Golisopod-GX can attack freely without the effect of Skuntank’s attack.

Edek

Aspiring Trainer
What happens if the active defending Pokemon evolves. Does the effect still stick?

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
An evolution would remove any status conditions or effects, so it wouldn't work after that. This is cited in the basic rule book: "any effects of attacks or Special Conditions affecting the Pokemon -such as Asleep, Confused, or Poisoned -end when it evolves."

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Note that it also ends when it goes back to the bench, *even if it comes back out again*. So if you have Dawn Wings Necrozma GX out, then retreat it, then use its ability to put it back in active, it's welcome to attack freely again.