Singles or Booster Box for Master Set

Snowy

❄️グレイシア❄️
So I have been thinking about completing a Master Set of Majestic Dawn. Should I buy a booster box and then buy the singles that I am missing or should I just buy all the singles? As of right now, I would think a booster box is the best route but I have not calculated how much buying all singles would cost yet.I have about 5 packs opened of MD. I just started collecting again. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Ice

Returnee
Buy the singles if you want to save money. Buy the box if you want to have fun, it's all up to you.

Snowy

❄️グレイシア❄️
I do understand the pure enjoyment of openening packs, but I am looking for the most cost efficient way.

Daelum

Climbing the stairs to the top
Normally the route I choose is a booster box then just fill in the gaps by buying singles.

SheNinja

Aspiring Trainer
The best way would probably be to open a box or two and then fill in the blanks with trading or buying.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Cards-Lot-Majestic-Dawn-Basic-COMPLETE-Set-96-100-RARE-HTF-HOLO-/251292253950?pt=Trading_Card_Games_US&hash=item3a822f7efe

PokePhD

PokéBeach Verified Seller
The box is comparatively much cheaper than others so it's not too hard on the wallet.

Additionally, you'll be happier with the card conditions and have extras to trade and/or sell.

Snowy

❄️グレイシア❄️
omahanime said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Cards-Lot-Majestic-Dawn-Basic-COMPLETE-Set-96-100-RARE-HTF-HOLO-/251292253950?pt=Trading_Card_Games_US&hash=item3a822f7efe

Haha, oh wow. I might have to buy this if my friend doesn't sell me his set for cheaper. Although I have to run some calcs to see if it is cheaper than singles. But I really want to open packs too... Aargh, so conflicting.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
SoulWind said:
The box is comparatively much cheaper than others so it's not too hard on the wallet.

Additionally, you'll be happier with the card conditions and have extras to trade and/or sell.

True, but 60% of your trade material will be common/uncommon. That near set was selling for less than the price of a box, and only 4 cards short. I wish the last few sets I could have bought a near set for less than the price of a box and only be 4 cards short.

PokePhD

PokéBeach Verified Seller
omahanime said:
SoulWind said:

True, but 60% of your trade material will be common/uncommon. That near set was selling for less than the price of a box, and only 4 cards short. I wish the last few sets I could have bought a near set for less than the price of a box and only be 4 cards short.
Agreed. Especially for those older sets.. Getting a box is seldom ever worth it.

MrSquarepants

Heavenly Illusion Star
A master set means you have to get all reverses right?

That's gonna be hard if you're not happy with conditions. Reverse holos scratch easy so buying singles might not be pleasing but will be cost efficient.

Buying singles overall saves more money than boxes but older boxes have better pull rates than BW sets.

But I can't help myself so I buy boxes.

I need Skyridge cards but I'm planning on getting a box since singles won't be as mint.

Snowy

❄️グレイシア❄️
MrSquarepants said:
A master set means you have to get all reverses right?

That's gonna be hard if you're not happy with conditions. Reverse holos scratch easy so buying singles might not be pleasing but will be cost efficient.

Buying singles overall saves more money than boxes but older boxes have better pull rates than BW sets.

But I can't help myself so I buy boxes.

I need Skyridge cards but I'm planning on getting a box since singles won't be as mint.

Ya. I am planning to have all the RH's. As long as they are NM I am ok with it. Since MD has 96 RH cards I would need to buy at least 3 boxes to complete it. But the chance of that happening is small since there probs would be duplicates. I am planning to buy singles as I have someone already trading me many cards and it is less expensive. While I am at it, I am throwing in the Glaceon and Leafeon theme deck exclusive cards and prerelease cards too making a grand total of 200 cards.

bagoly14

Collecting is expensive -_-
I agree with MSP, if you want mint condition you are best off buying a few boxes and filling in the gaps from reputable sellers.

If Ex/NM is good enough then buy a near complete or complete set. You could also probably put together a set through online stores for less but again you would be getting mint cards.

When I collected English cards (for about 2 sets), I bought 3 booster boxes of each and got all the LV X and holo cards and filled in the reverse holo gaps from a good ebay seller with mint reverse holo cards.

Cost me about 240$ to complete each set but they are gem mint cards which is nice.