Sigilyph Toolbox Counters?

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
Hey there, I was tweaking a deck of mine for the city championships tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone knew a good solid counter to Sigilyph? I was thinking gothitelle but I'm not 100% sure on it. It's a crobat deck but I was wondering what I could do to counter a possible toolbox threat since it is almost fairly popular at my locals.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
Chatot from plasma blast is a good counter if you are most likely saying you are facing tool drop. It has a one colorless energy cost and type and discards all tools on the field.

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head
Elbow said:
Chatot from plasma blast is a good counter if you are most likely saying you are facing tool drop. It has a one colorless energy cost and type and discards all tools on the field.

One problem with that is Chatot can't discard Silver Mirrors, or any Tools on a Pokemon with a Silver Mirror on it. Running a couple Tool Scrappers along with Chatot would tip the match up in your favor for sure.

Conzipe

Aspiring Trainer
The card below may not be very practical, but it's certainly a devastating card against tool drop decks and deserves and honorable mention.

64-salamence.jpg

Shinigami

Pokemon Loremaster
Conzipe said:
The card below may not be very practical, but it's certainly a devastating card against tool drop decks and deserves and honorable mention.

I'm tinkering with Salamence right now. Devolution Spray is helping a lot. There are a few other key cards I'm not at liberty to discuss right now, but it's very... unexpected.

JasonRox

Aspiring Trainer
Four Arms said:
Elbow said:

One problem with that is Chatot can't discard Silver Mirrors, or any Tools on a Pokemon with a Silver Mirror on it. Running a couple Tool Scrappers along with Chatot would tip the match up in your favor for sure.

It will still remove all tool cards attached to Pokemon without Silver Mirror. So if it's not a Sigilyph, Sigilyph loses everything, which is damaging for a tool deck.

Vulpix Yolk

\ \ durant gang \ \
Why would you need a Tooldrop counter of all things if you are playing Crobat? Exp. Share doesn't activate if the Trubbish is knockout by poison damage. If the raw speed of the deck is the problem, I'd hate to see what your darkrai match up is like... Seriously though, I wouldn't over tech, that is where you are going to hurt yourself. Adding things like Garbodor and Chatot are going to be completely dead cards in every other match up. The game against Tool Drop can be won if you outplay your opponent, simple as that. If you are really tech eager, add 2 Tool Scrapper, and a Meloetta. Those cards are going to be useful in almost every game that you play, and they completely wreck tool drop, especially if you're playing Super Rod to recover the Meloetta. If you are feeling adventurous you can tech Crushing Hammer. Sets the deck an entire turn back, removes grass energy in Virizion Variants, but the coin flip is pesky.

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head
Vulpix Yolk said:
Why would you need a Tooldrop counter of all things if you are playing Crobat? Exp. Share doesn't activate if the Trubbish is knockout by poison damage.

EXP. Share will activate because Trubbish is weak to Crobat. 40 x 2 = 80.

Chanderperior

Aspiring Trainer
Also, Virizion-EX is a very common card in competitive play nowadays, so Garbotoxin Garbodor will help against other things not only Sigilyph.

BlazikenBro

Aspiring Trainer
I would recommend running Plasma Freeze Hydreigon. He can switch a Benched with the Active and do 40 damage to the new Active. Also, Obsidian Fang does 80 and you discard all Tool Cards attached to the Defending Pokemon before you do damage. You could also try Cobalion EX from Plasma Storm. He can do guaranteed 100, due to attack damage not affected by Weakness, Resistance or any other effects, including Eviolite. Just some suggestions.

zavtac

Got ma Invite
Garbodor is your best play. I have no idea why you'd go with hydriegon, its a terrible card, but yeah.

ProfZelkova

The Young Professor
Breakwing Salamence is a good counter with Devolution Spray and Super Rod retrieval, Skyla searches, etc. I know someone who runs a Tool Drop deck but also Lasers and Virbanks, so the Salamence is really good to knock the Stadium out. Mew EX's Versatile is also pretty good against Tool Drop for the fact that Mew can use the Tool Drop against itself. For me a Mew EX is a must run in all my Psychic decks. =) Anything with bench damage as well damages that deck quite a bit with the ability to take out the Sigilyphs (so long as theres no Mr Mime.)

ahg3117

Aspiring Trainer
I think Garbodor is a pretty strong card to run with Crobat. It doesn't really hurt you (you're extra draw per turn could be useful but its not game breaking- unless you run other stuff with abilities? It makes Virizion and Blastoise both winnable as you can get past Verdant Wind, it shuts down both Rush in and Deluge. It could also help your Emboar matchup and prevent Lugia from getting 2 prizes per knockout. That combined with tool scrappers should be enough to turn your Tool Drop matchup into a near autowin.

blaZofgold

Romans 8:38-39
Since you can Tool Scrapper your own Pokemon, it's not unfeasible to drop one on Garbodor, kill the Virizion, then scrap it away. Thankfully there's no other way to move tools around (without using Abilities) so Garb isn't freaking broken right now.