Ruling Sigilyph GX

MegaAbsol10

I'm playing Big Blacephalon next quarter :)
So, I'm thinking of putting Sigilyph GX as a 1 of tech in SpreadSquids, but I need to know the ruling first. It's ability reads this:
If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon and is damaged by an attack from your oppoent's Pokémon-GX or Pokémon-EX (even if this Pokémon is Knocked Out), put damage counters on the Attacking Pokémon equal to the damage done to this Pokémon
So, does this mean (for example) if a Blacephalon hits you for 200, but you only have 170HP, do you do 200 or 170 back? Thanks.

Audiofreak19

Aspiring Trainer
I would think 200 because you would see on PTCGO that even though you knock out a 200hp Pokémon if you hit for weakness you hit them for sometimes 400+ damage. I would think it’s how much damage you do and then if that damage is at or above the go of the Pokémon then the result is that they are knocked out.

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
I'm thinking of it as a tech for Metagross, but after adding Solgaleo I'm not sure it's necessary.

Fafnirchaos

Aspiring Trainer
What about if both players have 2 prizes cards left and Sigilyph is knocked out from another GX attacker with Smiliar HP done to it by it's opponents attack, does that mean it becomes a Draw or does the attacker auto win?

The Almighty Bidoof

Just your everyday MtF trans Bidoof worshipper
What about if both players have 2 prizes cards left and Sigilyph is knocked out from another GX attacker with Smiliar HP done to it by it's opponents attack, does that mean it becomes a Draw or does the attacker auto win?
Depends on if either player has another win condition (benching their opponent for example.) If both players only have 1 win condition, it goes to sudden-death.

Latte1504

Aspiring Trainer
Depends on if either player has another win condition (benching their opponent for example.) If both players only have 1 win condition, it goes to sudden-death.
Your opponent would win. The attack resolves before the ability.

MegaAbsol10

I'm playing Big Blacephalon next quarter :)
Thanks a lot everyone, I thought that was the likely answer but just wanted to check first.

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
I've always played it attacker wins and the second player gets a rematch.

arulz

THE SEEKER
I’m 99% sure it says this in the rule book, but you check for knockouts after EVERYTHING is resolved, including the attack and the ability. Meaning both knockouts are checked at the same time, therefore prizes are taken at the same time. So unless there’s other win conditions present, it would be a tie.

The Almighty Bidoof

Just your everyday MtF trans Bidoof worshipper
I’m 99% sure it says this in the rule book, but you check for knockouts after EVERYTHING is resolved, including the attack and the ability. Meaning both knockouts are checked at the same time, therefore prizes are taken at the same time. So unless there’s other win conditions present, it would be a tie.
That's what I thought. However, I thought that would be a sudden death, not a tie.

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
Sudden Death
Sudden Death is listed in the standard rule book as a general method to resolve a situation where no win condition has been met. It can be used in any circumstance when needed.

The attack resolves before the ability.
All triggered effects have to be resolved before checking for a knockout per the Compendium.

rulings-staff.png
We need to bring back the Rulings Team
rulings-staff.png

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
Sigilyph-GX isn't in English yet and shouldn't be ruled on, but hey— I like these kinds of things.

• Player A has Blacephalon-GX active with no Pokemon on his or her bench and has 2 prize cards remaining
  • Player B has Sigilyph GX active with ability Mirror Counter with no Pokemon on his or her bench and has 2 prize cards remaining
  • Player A, on their turn, uses the attack Mind Blown with 4 fire energy in the Lost Zone, thus it would do 200 damage
  • Player Bs ability Mirror Counter is active
  • When player B would take the 200 damage, the ability must be applied to Player As Pokemon. All possible abilities and effects must be brought in and calculated before an attack is resolved
  • After abilities, effects etc are resolved, both players check for KOs
  • Both players would have their active Pokemon knocked out simultaneously in accordance with procedure. Neither players gets to take their prizes 'first' since the KOs happened at the same time
  • Whenever a Pokemon is knocked out prize cards have to be drawn. Both players can draw their remaining 2 prize cards due to simultaneous KO. The order this happens in doesn't matter since both players are able to draw their last prize cards due to the KOs
  • No other win condition is present for either player, so the game has to go to Sudden Death

Last edited: